Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Don't take Rabaul!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Don't take Rabaul! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't take Rabaul! - 6/24/2002 11:00:44 AM   
dwesolick

Hi,

This is my first posting to the forum. The game is superb in general and I look forward to the full Pacific War game. I haven't experienced most of the bugs the other writers have, but I have noticed a couple (one minor, one major). First, the minor one: I have been playing the "Yamamoto Prophecy" campaign (as the Allies) for a few weeks now (it's Aug 43 in the game) and I can't get the "training" option to work for any of my squadrons (by now I have newer fighter types so its not really relevant, but earlier in the campaign I really could have used better trained fighter pilots).
Now the major one: I have just captured Rabaul and after sending numerous ships into the port there, have discovered in subsequent turns that some ships are sailing on their own (during the action phase) for TRUK! At first it was just one destroyer (it, of course, got sunk real quick) and I thought I somehow goofed. But in the following turn a CVE task group sailed from Rabaul port to Truk! When I checked the TF it read: Destination: Truk, Home Base: Truk!
I've also noticed that the AI is not a terribly strong opponent (I put it in "Very Hard" mode and raised the IJN available ship option to 200 about 1/3 of the way thru the game, but I've still managed to sink 402 Japanese ships and capture Rabaul without losing anything larger than a CL). The AI does strange things, like sending carrier TFs against strongly defended air bases (for no apparent reason, not accompanying an invasion TF, for example). They just sit there within bombing range and get creamed, then sail back to Truk with their cripples. The AI also sends bombardment TFs to hit Finschafen (sp?) which then get creamed (I completely wiped out one such TF, including the Yamato).

Sorry for the above bellyaching. The game is great overall and I have enjoyed playing it these past weeks. I'll be first in line for the full Pacific game when it comes out.

Thanks,
dwesolick
Post #: 1
- 6/24/2002 7:32:29 PM   
AlvinS

[QUOTE]Now the major one: I have just captured Rabaul and after sending numerous ships into the port there, have discovered in subsequent turns that some ships are sailing on their own (during the action phase) for TRUK![/QUOTE]

Intresting. I read a post where a player playing as IJN captured Lunga, and their ships would then sail to Noumea as their home base. Seems that maybe when you capture a major base of the oppoent that it assumes the home base of the opponent as its own.

If you still have a save game file for this you might send it to Matrix to look at.

Just curious, how long did it take you to capture Rabaul? What date did you accomplish this on?

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 2
- 6/24/2002 7:48:31 PM   
Spooky

The scenario 16 is quite difficult for the Japanese AI since it had already lost 4 CV, 1 CVL and the corresponding air squadrons !

If you want a real challenge as the US against the AI, just play scenario 19 on a "hard" or "very hard" setting with a 200% reinforcement for the Japanese !

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 3
- 6/24/2002 8:04:53 PM   
Sonny

After I captured Rabaul I did not have this problem - but the Japanese still used Rabaul as a place for their surface TFs to hang out! I docked two carrier TFs at Rabaul and their planes flew and bombed AGs and APs galore but only occasionally bombed the ships right in the same hex! And I think (but am not sure) they only bombed those ships in the same hex on turns where I sent a surface TF into the hex to root out the enemy ships. :( :)

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 4
- 6/24/2002 9:19:05 PM   
TIMJOT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AlvinS
[B]

Intresting. I read a post where a player playing as IJN captured Lunga, and their ships would then sail to Noumea as their home base. Seems that maybe when you capture a major base of the oppoent that it assumes the home base of the opponent as its own.

If you still have a save game file for this you might send it to Matrix to look at.

Just curious, how long did it take you to capture Rabaul? What date did you accomplish this on? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi I think you mean lunganville not lunga, but yeah basically the same thing happen to me, when I took lunganville playing as the IJN. Anytime I disbanded a TF at that port my ships will dash off to Noumea. I guess the game guess a little confused when you take a major home base. Its been a bug from 1.0 - 1.11, maybe now that it affects the allied player, more people will report it and it will be given priority for a fix

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 5
- 6/24/2002 11:38:25 PM   
AlvinS

[QUOTE]Hi I think you mean lunganville not lunga, but yeah basically the same thing happen to me, when I took lunganville playing as the IJN. Anytime I disbanded a TF at that port my ships will dash off to Noumea. I guess the game guess a little confused when you take a major home base. Its been a bug from 1.0 - 1.11, maybe now that it affects the allied player, more people will report it and it will be given priority for a fix[/QUOTE]

Your right. Its old age creeping up on me. ;)

The fact that it happens on both sides might make it easier for Matrix to track down.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 6
- 6/25/2002 3:40:04 AM   
Hartmann

It is not confined to Luganville, though. Same thing at least seems to happen if you take Rabaul as the Allies as the original poster wrote. I wonder whether Luganville and Rabaul are the only bases showing this behaviour.

Hartmann

Edit: the AI seems to be affected, too:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21996

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 7
- 6/25/2002 4:16:43 AM   
sitkis

Shortland also. Anything you put in Shortlands port (as the Allies) gets sent to Truk. The AI also seems to think it is a friendly port and sends empty AGs and stuff there to die.

Interestingly the sending-ships-to-the-enemy-port-to-die behavior seemed to stop after awhile. The AI didn't run out of ships or anything, since heavy BBs were hitting my base at Buka from Rabual. It just took a week, or so, for the change of status of Shortland to register.

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Don't take Rabaul! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI