Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What u think of BiI and BiN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What u think of BiI and BiN Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 11:39:53 AM   
JudgeDredd

Looking at the sale and after being impressed with Kharkov:Disaster on the Donetz, I'm very tempted to get Battles in Italy and/or Battles in Normandy

I was hoping I could have peoples impressions on both games.

Thx
Post #: 1
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 12:05:08 PM   
htuna

I bought Battles in Italy, because people said it had the most User scenarios available.. it does!.. first scenario i played (instead of the base game missions) was kharkov.. it was a lot of fun... one reason I didn't get Kharkov, is because there was no user content (I think, just one scenario)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 1:06:54 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

one reason I didn't get Kharkov, is because there was no user content (I think, just one scenario)

Same reason I didn't get it... even on sale. Although, I think they are getting ready to sell another scenario for the game.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 3
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 2:30:52 PM   
JudgeDredd

I know it did sound cheap of them to do it, but it is a great game and there are very good mechanics.

I have to be honest, I got my moneys worth from it and more.

Hoping for some more feedback on BiI and BiN

(in reply to E)
Post #: 4
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 2:55:26 PM   
Arsan

BiN has a demo if IIRC
Maybe by giving it a try you could see if the system feels OK for you or you have been "spoiled" by the new Karkhov system.
BiN and BiI game systems are very similar to each other
Cheers

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 3:10:15 PM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I know it did sound cheap of them to do it, but it is a great game and there are very good mechanics.

I have to be honest, I got my moneys worth from it and more.

Hoping for some more feedback on BiI and BiN

They are both very good games. That is if you like a boardgame feel to your computer games? They make me think back to the "Golden" years of board games. They are pretty much historical in their content and easy to play. I've never regretted buying them years ago!
The only thing that I would take them to task on, is their victory conditions. But it's their idea of what it takes to win....Good Games though and worth the money.

< Message edited by Treale -- 11/30/2009 3:32:47 PM >

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 9:07:10 PM   
Fred98

As for the game engine, they are almost the same. BiI was released later and has a few improvements and enhancements.

BiI also has the largest number of user made scenarios of the series.

Some don't realise, you need to use armour and infantry in cooperation in their historic roles to get a victory.

-

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 7
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 11/30/2009 9:47:57 PM   
Adam Parker

BIN - The best depiction of DDay through to the breakout on PC. Though due to the system the German AI will be highly fluid, the overall progress of the campaign will adhere to historical bounds. Playable only as Allies vs Axis AI if solo.

BII - Only played Sicily. The battleground here is too open for the system to cope in this version. If you own Kharkov definitely wait for the ATD expansion as the Sicily campaign also included is a much better experience and a thoroughly competitive campaign played vs the AI as either side.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 8
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/2/2009 6:17:40 AM   
mgarnett

BiN is a fantastic game. It was one of my first digital purchases from Matrix and I absolutely love the game. I think the AI is very good for a game of this type, the mechanics are good and there is a ton of content for it. I recommend this game as a must buy!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 9
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/2/2009 1:25:18 PM   
Felix C

BIN and BII are excellent games. AI is competent just with a moderate setting.(There are more difficult settings) Plenty of possibilites as both the Axis and Allies.

Strongly recommend both.

Similar to Battlefront, KP and ATD.

I have Kharkov and notice it appears similar to the above but unit values and game play are quite different.

Have owned BIN and BII since inception, still return to them when need arises.

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 10
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/2/2009 5:30:55 PM   
sullafelix

So you can only play the Allies against the AI?

(in reply to Felix C)
Post #: 11
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/2/2009 9:57:15 PM   
Felix C

No. you can play as Allies or Axis with the other being AI.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 12
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/3/2009 2:17:04 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

So you can only play the Allies against the AI?

You can play as the Axis vs Allied AI in BiN and BiI but the AI doesn't attack on a broad front very well.

However in the new to come AtD the AI fights very well as either side in Sicily. It's a real pleasure to see the Allied AI invade!

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 13
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 11:21:45 AM   
JudgeDredd

Still not purchased one of these yet.....I keep going to the Buy page, then turning away!

Note to self...must try harder to spend my money!

Post #: 14
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 12:03:14 PM   
htuna

quote:

Original: JudgeDredd

Still not purchased one of these yet.....I keep going to the Buy page, then turning away!

Note to self...must try harder to spend my money!

Especially when there's a sale on!... Sales help promote 'impulse buys'.. Plus you don't want that 'guilt' you'll feel after the sale, if you didn't buy it before the sale ends. Then you'll be wanting for another year.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 12:16:22 PM   
Adam Parker

Let's see if I can help you some more - you've certainly got me on a roll in plastic modelling right now so I owe you one

Battles In Normandy

Setting: All 5 invasion beaches await in a first ever for PC war gaming at the regimental scale.

Allied Initial Concerns: How do I position and bring to bear my massive naval armada's firepower so to obliterate as many German strongpoints along the coast as possible in order to minimize the murderous effect in die roll modifiers they offer against an invading force? If I fail against one particular sector, can I afford to forego another in order to soften it up more? If I fail miserably should I delay my landings?

Next Agenda: What to do with the 82nd, 101st, 6th Airborne and Commandos who have prelanded and will appear differently each time the camapign is re-started?

D+0: In which order and in which hexes should each beach land? Can I achieve a breakthough anywhere so early on? What losses can be deemed acceptable?

Ashore: Have I broken through the Orne? Should Caen be more than a hinge? Can I link up at the Vire? I have some divisions as reinforcements coming through! Look at that German AI plug those gaps! Am I using air interdiction to best effect? How can the SS seemingly be everywhere at once?

And on top of all that, 32 turns later - you still get the revised Ardennes Offensive to play! BiN's nearly 6 years old now to be sure but its one of the few PC wargames I've ever enjoyed playing from start to finish.

Nice Gamespot AU review here BiN Review

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 3:13:32 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ouch...that's sealed it then.

And by the way, lookout for my next model...P51 Mustang 1:48 scale! Almost finished

Post #: 17
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 5:46:07 PM   
undercovergeek

i almost cracked after watching the longest day last weekend - the para drops, the beaches, the follow up attacks, very, very nearly did it.

Like you, buy screen, check price, check vat, check screenshots again, hover over buy - very slowly back out of buy screen and do something else!!

and now ive read the gamespot review goddamit - must not buy or must buy and talk Judge into a PBEM!!!!!

< Message edited by undercovergeek -- 12/8/2009 5:48:32 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 6:26:18 PM   
Lützow

I did it the other way around. Purchased BiN some years ago and recently picked Kharkow. My first impression was that the engine took a formidable step ahead. So if you're going for BiN now, it probably will feel vice versa.

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 19
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/8/2009 11:06:39 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ok - I sucked it up and bought BiN. Will probably get BiI in January

Started it up and it looks kind of neat...hope to get into it soon.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 20
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/9/2009 12:02:50 AM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Ok - I sucked it up and bought BiN. Will probably get BiI in January

Started it up and it looks kind of neat...hope to get into it soon.

let us know what you think Judge - my moneys waiting!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/9/2009 10:43:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ok...want to do this right, so I've been going through the tutorials. They are VERY thorough so far. Enjoying them, though it's a little tedious alt-tabbing between the pdf and the game (should get my laptop up to read the tutorials on!)

Anyhow...same fair as other titles from SSG that I'm aware of, though with little differences due to the changes in the engine.

I've only ever played Korsun Pocket and Kharkov:Disaster on the Donets...so this is in between.

Still, looking forward to diving into one of the scenarios...but the tutorials take some time...I'm only on the 4th and I've been hard at it for 3 hours (like I said...alt-tabbing isn't helping)

I have to say I knew I'd like the engine after playing K:DotD...I never really gave KP a chance.

Will post more when I play my first scenario...probably sometime over the weekend.

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 22
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/14/2009 9:45:27 AM   
mgarnett

When I said I had BiN above, I actually meant to say BiI. Anyway, I picked both BiN and K:DotD today in the sale and it just reminded me what great system this is and what great games they are. I regret not buying them earlier. I didn't pick up BiN because I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't like playing an earlier incarnation of the engine and I was aprehensive about K:DotD because of the lack of scenarios.

All I can say is, I could have (and should have) been enjoying these titles much earlier.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/14/2009 11:01:25 AM   
JudgeDredd

I agree. I'm making my way through the tutorials of BiN and enjoying it. The games use a good game system imo.

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 24
RE: What u think of BiI and BiN - 12/31/2009 10:01:38 AM   
admira

Well If U Live In Riyadh The Offices In Kingdom Center AndThey Will help U Schedule A Appointment Live iN A DIFF ccITY iM sure there iS an office wHERE u aRE!Google Kingdom Holding(his Company)Or Rotana

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What u think of BiI and BiN Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI