Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Should I buy? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 5:10:07 AM   
Warspite3

Well, here is one of those "should I buy threads" Ok, I have always been a big fan of just about any space strategy game. My current favorites are... GalCiv2 (of course), Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, Space Empires V, and Lost Empire: Immortals. I am considering purchasing this one, I have seen some really good previews. So if I have all of the above games, I assume I can't go wrong with Armada 2526?

-Warspite3-
Post #: 1
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 5:22:36 AM   
sabre1

Don't forget the best of the best, Emperor of the Fading Suns...

I'm waiting for LarryP to give me the green light, and he ain't sayin nuthin yet...

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 7:33:35 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Don't forget the best of the best, Emperor of the Fading Suns...

I'm waiting for LarryP to give me the green light, and he ain't sayin nuthin yet...

I liked Emperor of the fading suns myself,ah the memories.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 8:26:04 AM   
Lecivius

I'd hold off. It's fun for a bit, but this has a lot of balance issues to be worked out before it becomes "fun".

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 4
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 8:36:29 AM   
Rosseau

Here are some thoughts:

1. If you are a big fan of the genre, it's probably a must-buy. Not much else coming out of this quality.
2. It's much quicker and easier to get into than the other games you mentioned
3. It's almost as moddable as Space Empires, which I love, and looks a lot better than that game
4. The tactical battles are a weakness compared to SOTS. But I typically can't click fast enough to enjoy SOTS battles anyway.
5. Can't tell for sure yet, but the AI diplomacy seems pretty good. It was also designed as a single player game first, which bodes well for the AI.
6. With the map designer and editable XMLs, it offers more replay value than SOTS. Doesn't have as many set-up options as SOTS, however, if you're looking for a quick custom game.

Using the old formula of 1-hour entertainment = $2, you're getting a lot for $40!

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 5
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 8:44:09 AM   
kafka

quote:

It's almost as moddable as Space Empires, which I love, and looks a lot better than that game

well, I find armada is missing a crucial feature, ship design, which I find is really a must have for a 4X game nowadays, and though I like the game so far I think SE5 does offer a lot more of features and complexity, though unfortunately does not come, at least in vanilla, with an AI able to make good use of them

< Message edited by kafka -- 11/26/2009 8:47:49 AM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 6
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 8:57:54 AM   
Janster

Trust me, SE V never worked ever, it was a waste of good money for me and many others. It did eventually get AI to work, but at the cost of waiting 5-10 mins /turn.

Ship design is fun, but not crucial, but combat that works would be nice.

(in reply to kafka)
Post #: 7
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 3:29:35 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Trust me, I liked SE V after they patched it up some. Not a perfect game but not bad either. I still play it. For me the jury is still out on A2526. Time will tell.

one thing I would like to have is a time clock-not just turns. No big deal but its one of those little things that helps to get you into the game.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Janster)
Post #: 8
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 3:51:55 PM   
RavenX

It's a fun little game so far. For my personal tastes though it's going to need a little modding to be perfect. Also the UI and camera controlls for combat could use a little work and/or polish to really shine.

If you're decent at understanding XML though this game truly has a lot of potential. I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, but when I have time to sit down with this and make some custom races this will be golden. Out of all the 4X space games out right now I'd say the only one that beats this is Gal Civ 2 (especially for easy customization). Armada 2526 does capture that MoO feeling better then anything else I've tried lately though.

What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 3:55:06 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

Well, here is one of those "should I buy threads" Ok, I have always been a big fan of just about any space strategy game. My current favorites are... GalCiv2 (of course), Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, Space Empires V, and Lost Empire: Immortals. I am considering purchasing this one, I have seen some really good previews. So if I have all of the above games, I assume I can't go wrong with Armada 2526?

After two days I would rate this game as follows. The comparison has only those games that I have played recently so I excluded i.e Moo2:

Sword of the Stars>Empire at War>Armada2526>Sins of a Solar Empire>GalCiv2>Space Empires V/Lost Empire: Immortals.

Its not as good as Sots but from the start it has been more exciting game than galciv2. Its just slightly above sins because I dont like the fact that sins lacks the turn based galactic "strategy mode". I havent played either SEV or LE:I because I have found so much bad things about them. Empire at war has the SW bonus and its production quality easily puts it above armada.

Note that I put lot of importance on tactical battles which are usually done awfully in these games. Also Im not too interested of galactic strategy games based on excel sheets.

You can say lots of things about the tactical part of armada but its still nowhere as boring as the one in galciv2 or awful as in moo3 (I still cry at night when I remember it).

As for price if Id have to choose between digital 27€ or physical 44€ I would most likely choose the first one. Its easily worth 27€.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 11/26/2009 4:09:05 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 10
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 4:01:54 PM   
Iceman

So how did you rate them if you haven't played them?!    Hear say?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 4:04:46 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iceman

Lets just say that I studied them "intensively". Some games are so hard to decide whether buy or not that I put hours if not days of work on getting out every bit of info about them.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 11/26/2009 4:05:31 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Iceman)
Post #: 12
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 4:57:04 PM   
killroyishere

Well if we are rating games that we've never played then I would rate them like this based on player input and some I've played.

Master of Orion 2 - Galactic Civilization 2 - Imperium Galactium - Reach for the Stars - Sword of the Stars - Armada 2526 - Emperor of the Fading Sun - Sins of the Solar Empire - Space Empires V - Lost Empires:Immortals (I don't find GalCiv2 boring in the least)

Best Sci-fi space rpgs?
Starflight - Star Control 2 - The Sentinel

Best Sci-fi space simulations?
Freelancer - X3 series - Privateer 2 - Privateer

Best Sci-fi strategy?
X-Com series

Best Sci-fi ground rpg?
Wasteland - Fallout I - II

Best Sci-fi FPS?
???? Fallout III?

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 13
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 5:47:54 PM   
laika

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Well if we are rating games that we've never played then I would rate them like this based on player input and some I've played.

Master of Orion 2 - Galactic Civilization 2 - Imperium Galactium - Reach for the Stars - Sword of the Stars - Armada 2526 - Emperor of the Fading Sun - Sins of the Solar Empire - Space Empires V - Lost Empires:Immortals (I don't find GalCiv2 boring in the least)

Best Sci-fi space rpgs?
Starflight - Star Control 2 - The Sentinel

Best Sci-fi space simulations?
Freelancer - X3 series - Privateer 2 - Privateer

Best Sci-fi strategy?
X-Com series

Best Sci-fi ground rpg?
Wasteland - Fallout I - II

Best Sci-fi FPS?
???? Fallout III?

Great list

For me

Imperium Galactica 2>MOO2>Nexus: The Jupiter Incident>Armada2526(maby on third place but i need more to play)>Sins>Sword of the Stars>Emperor of the Fading Sun>Lost Empires:Immortals>ORB

Best Sci-fi strategy
Battle Isle series(but the Andosian war was the best of the series)

Best Sci-fi ground rpg
FO1 and FO2>Battle isle:incubation

Best Sci-fi space simulations
Tie fighter>X-wing>X3 series

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 14
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 6:12:57 PM   
06 Maestro

As I have never had even one space game, I appreciate the comments in this thread (most, anyway). I am getting an idea as to what is good and not so good. I'm installing a demo for sins right now. I doubt I would keep that one, but it will help in creating "benchmark" for these games.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to laika)
Post #: 15
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 6:17:09 PM   
killroyishere

BTW 06Maestro Sins is on sale for $9.99 at Stardock Impulse site. Not sure if it comes with all expansions I got an email about it couple days ago though.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 16
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 7:06:48 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

I dont do it for all games but I think its pretty universal knowledge that Space Empires V and Lost Empire: Immortals are failures atleast in regards to their singleplayer (I dont care about MP). I mean you dont have to eat dirt just to know that it tastes bad do you?

Of course if somone disagrees then Im more than happy to hear him. Perhaps there is som patch/mod to these games that makes them all that better i.e by adding a challenging AI? I checked Lost Empire just today and atleast the official forums seemd a bit dead.

"Nexus: The Jupiter Incident"

This while an excellent storybased space wargame is not a 4x game so I would not compare it to the rest even though its somkind of sequel to the imperium galactica series.

Lately I bought Imperium galactica 1 & 2 used and while I dont think that anyone but me would want to play the first one Ive heard lots of good of second one. Ill reserve my judgement for once I finally see it myself.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 11/26/2009 7:29:41 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 7:16:32 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

BTW 06Maestro Sins is on sale for $9.99 at Stardock Impulse site. Not sure if it comes with all expansions I got an email about it couple days ago though.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm just window shopping right now. I did notice that they have multiple expansions for the game at 9.99 each. Looks like it could be a hundred dollar game-if one chose.

The graphics look pretty good in Sins, I wonder how they compare to this game?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 18
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 7:20:13 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Sins has clearly better graphics but it feels more like an RTS game than 4x because there is no turn-based part in it at all. Id say its a pure RTS game mixed with elements from 4x games. A hybrid of sorts.

I always get a bit depressed when I play sins. Its weird. Perhaps because I dont like pure RTS games and hate to see potential for good 4x game spoiled that way. Its a 4x game for those with short attension span as somone might say.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 11/26/2009 7:35:21 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 19
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 7:20:34 PM   
Terl

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the tip, but I'm just window shopping right now. I did notice that they have multiple expansions for the game at 9.99 each. Looks like it could be a hundred dollar game-if one chose.

I don't think so. The diplomacy one, the latest, is billed as the last mini-expansion to the game. It is really quite fun to play.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 20
RE: Should I buy? - 11/26/2009 11:22:42 PM   
Titanwarrior89

It seems the diplomacy in Sins misses the point. To me it is basicly a RTS.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

Sins has clearly better graphics but it feels more like an RTS game than 4x because there is no turn-based part in it at all. Id say its a pure RTS game mixed with elements from 4x games. A hybrid of sorts.

I always get a bit depressed when I play sins. Its weird. Perhaps because I dont like pure RTS games and hate to see potential for good 4x game spoiled that way. Its a 4x game for those with short attension span as somone might say.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 21
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 1:36:51 AM   
gijas17

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iceman

Lets just say that I studied them "intensively". Some games are so hard to decide whether buy or not that I put hours if not days of work on getting out every bit of info about them.

Well, I've played and own SOTS (bought the original on release and it was full of bugs and sooo indie u could smell it) now its a decent 4x - tactical space game but how many years did it take to get there! Sins was by far more polished than most games in this genre but (theres the b word") Im sure they had more money as developers than most of these games in this genre do. Sins is kind of clicky but is great fun and the battle are strategic with a hint of tactics. GalCiv, is more tech heavy and customizing units is what makes it so popular since u can watch your own creations battle it out but its not exciting for me watching movies of battles since I feel I have no control over them as a leader. Now, I prefer wargames based in WWII especially the eastern front, but space has a lot of posibilities since in space u can move in all directions. This is what is "wrong" with most games in this genre. The developers dont take this into account and if we as humans ever get to the point were our wars are fought in space this would be a reality. Empire Total war imho is one of the worst comparisons one could make to any strategy game since the AI plays its self and is dumb to this date even with all the patches. Rome and more importantly (Rome - Alexander) were the last great Totol War games to hit the market but after that it just went downhill. Now with Napoleon TW on the horizon next Feb which is a great time period in European history for me Im hesitant on buying since Empires did not follow through for me. I dont own this game yet and thats why Im here to find out what exactly people playing it currently think about it. I know a lot of gamers here are "old-school" like me and want to be surprised or even trilled at something new that reminds us of older games that got us into this business in the first place but with todays games becoming less about strategy and tactics and more about eye candy and quick action I wonder if there will be such a game that satisfies both old and new players alike?

< Message edited by gijas -- 11/27/2009 1:42:00 AM >

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 22
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 8:14:20 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

Rome and more importantly (Rome - Alexander) were the last great Totol War games to hit the market but after that it just went downhill

Well you lost credibility there because Rome and any of its expansions were one of the worst in the entire series except for the more recent ETW. The ai is brainless in the RTW version it never was fixed to be any good and modders weren't allowed to get to it to make it any better. The only help the RTW series got was by changing the stats and that didn't even help it much with the mods for it. I used to play it on vh/vh and never lost a battle and certainly never lost any games against the ai even as the Armenians. If one didn't go inside the .ini and turn off morale it would be very hard to ever lose a battle on any setting of that series. Sorry, but there is nothing great about the Rome Total War games.

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 23
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 10:47:18 AM   
Star Ranger

I'd say no buy - if you ask me - I'd even ask for my money back. The game is a dissappointment - too many micro managing details and obsession about the economy.

Post #: 24
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 11:56:19 AM   
killroyishere

Did anyone ask Star Ranger? (total silence) hrmmm Star Ranger I don't think anyone asked you. roflmao Too much rum in the punch yesterday having too much fun.

(in reply to Star Ranger)
Post #: 25
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 3:13:59 PM   
Warspite3

Hey thanks for the opinions. I did buy the download version last night and I was up to 3am so I suppose thats a good sign. From what I recall, any game that did this was a winner! I'm not sure about all the comparisons and all of that but I can tell you this game is very addicting.

-Warspite3-

Post #: 26
RE: Should I buy? - 11/27/2009 3:27:10 PM   
Warspite3

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

After two days I would rate this game as follows. The comparison has only those games that I have played recently so I excluded i.e Moo2:

Sword of the Stars>Empire at War>Armada2526>Sins of a Solar Empire>GalCiv2>Space Empires V/Lost Empire: Immortals.

Its not as good as Sots but from the start it has been more exciting game than galciv2. Its just slightly above sins because I dont like the fact that sins lacks the turn based galactic "strategy mode". I havent played either SEV or LE:I because I have found so much bad things about them. Empire at war has the SW bonus and its production quality easily puts it above armada.

Note that I put lot of importance on tactical battles which are usually done awfully in these games. Also Im not too interested of galactic strategy games based on excel sheets.

You can say lots of things about the tactical part of armada but its still nowhere as boring as the one in galciv2 or awful as in moo3 (I still cry at night when I remember it).

As for price if Id have to choose between digital 27€ or physical 44€ I would most likely choose the first one. Its easily worth 27€.

Something funny, moo3 was one of the only games like this I never ended up buying. I still remember all of those posts on that forum when that game came out, it was just not normal. I mean, every game that is released, you have a few that like it and a few that don't, just the normal stuff and a few lucky games more like it then don't which is how it seems here. Now this said, when you go on a forum and EVERYONE is making fun of the game you know for sure it is a complete total disaster. I still remember being in tears from laughing so hard at some of the things people were posting on that moo3 forum after it was released. It was getting to the point I would go to that forum just to get some laughs.

-Warspite3-

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 27
RE: Should I buy? - 11/30/2009 8:39:43 PM   
gijas17

quote:

quote:

Rome and more importantly (Rome - Alexander) were the last great Totol War games to hit the market but after that it just went downhill

Well you lost credibility there.

Did, I? Hum.... imho is what i should have said but u should have to. Bad day? ...lol

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

Post #: 28
RE: Should I buy? - 12/2/2009 11:30:33 PM   
swetiger

My question too. I am no fan of RTS. Have GC2 and enjoys it. How much RTS is it really in Armada 2526?

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war (Vegetius)

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 29
RE: Should I buy? - 12/2/2009 11:44:57 PM   
Archy

It has RTS elements, mostly structure/defense and also the whole 3d combat mode.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2308357

Read my thread for a short review.

If you like 4x games enough to play them sp, buy it
If you want multiplayer buy it , it will come faster (lol). Hotseat is in already.

to OP : A2526 is a pot pourri of all the games you named (played em too).
It the one that really makes me better immersed in my games due to pace quality. Its by far theone with most potential as well.

Its obvious your a 4x fan so yes you should buy , you will not regret, Tutorial perfect for learning.
Then you can either do the 12 race map or make a custom campaign that suits your style/wishes.
I think that the current custom game allows enough to play a satisfying game but it will also reveal the potential.

read my thread for review and pm if you have questions. 

S!
Nicolas "Archy" Menard

(in reply to swetiger)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Should I buy? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI