Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map icon mod.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Map icon mod. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map icon mod. - 6/26/2002 12:44:18 AM   
von Murrin

I made this just because I was bored with the usual base icons, and I thought some of you might like it.

There are 5 Allied and 2 Japanese options to choose from: British naval ensign, Australia, New Zealand, US, and the IJN sunburst naval ensign. Both the IJN and US versions have one option without the black border, as I didn't think they looked as good as the others with it added.

I did it in MS Paint, so don't laugh too hard. :D

Attachment (1)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
Post #: 1
- 6/26/2002 12:44:45 AM   
von Murrin

Here's a picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 2
I like em... - 6/26/2002 2:00:07 AM   
Grognerd

Tanks much, I'm using the US an Jap bordered ones...

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 3
Version 2 - 6/26/2002 2:24:28 AM   
von Murrin

I changed the icon colors to white for the British and US options, and to blue for the New Zealand and Australian options. I left the Japanese alone, because red looks best.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 4
- 6/26/2002 2:24:56 AM   
von Murrin

And the picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 5
- 6/26/2002 11:12:32 AM   
juliet7bravo

Here's little IJN, US, Australian, and GB flag .gif's I had laying around if they'd be of any use for any further tweaking you might do...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 6
- 6/26/2002 1:24:04 PM   
juliet7bravo

You can make the background for the squadron and TF info screens "invisible", but not merely transparent where you'd still be able to see the overlay, yet still see the map underneath through it. Looks kinda flaky with just the lettering and buttons floating on top the map.

.bmp's don't support transparent objects/layers apparently...know any way around it? It'd often be handy to be able to see the map underneath the TF info screen.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 7
j7b, - 6/26/2002 1:41:30 PM   
von Murrin

[QUOTE]Here's little IJN, US, Australian, and GB flag .gif's I had laying around if they'd be of any use for any further tweaking you might do...[/QUOTE]

Animated or shaded gifs don't turn out well. As it is, the standard flags need quite a bit of tweaking to make them appear presentable because they have to be "shrunk" down to at least 14 x 12 pixels for a non-bordered base icon. If you want me to do something special, send me a non-animated file, I'd be more than happy to do a request. :)

[QUOTE]You can make the background for the squadron and TF info screens "invisible", but not merely transparent where you'd still be able to see the overlay, yet still see the map underneath through it. Looks kinda flaky with just the lettering and buttons floating on top the map. [/QUOTE]

You can go with one, two or four of all pixels set to the "transparent pink" (I did this with Combat Mission for mesh shurtzen). Give me a few weeks and a concept of what you want, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the input. :)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 8
- 6/26/2002 11:12:25 PM   
juliet7bravo

No requests, just thought the flag .gifs might be useful...till I looked at the icon strip .bmp...yuck. Not much to work with there.

Making the squadron/TF info screens transparent (pink) doesn't look or work well. Was wondering if you knew how to make them translucent (as opposed to transparent), so that you'd still see them, but be able to look through them at the map below. bmp's, however, don't support translucent layers.

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 9
- 6/27/2002 5:55:21 AM   
von Murrin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by juliet7bravo
[B]Making the squadron/TF info screens transparent (pink) doesn't look or work well. Was wondering if you knew how to make them translucent (as opposed to transparent), so that you'd still see them, but be able to look through them at the map below. bmp's, however, don't support translucent layers. [/B][/QUOTE]

There [I]is[/I] a way. I'll keep at it. :)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 10
- 6/27/2002 7:11:41 AM   
AlvinS

Great work von Murrin!

Thank you

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 11
- 6/27/2002 9:33:04 AM   
juliet7bravo

Von...here's the test shot I made to play around with. Problem is when you load the AC or ship screens back to back, without exiting the screen first. You get the wording from the first one still underlying the second. Doubt if there's any way around it since they both use a06 as the background. Then again, it may not be a problem. Nice to be able to see the map when you're in the ship screen.

***People, don't DL and use this unless you've backed up the bmp and know what you're doing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 12
- 6/27/2002 2:57:10 PM   
von Murrin

Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't like making the whole thing transparent? I'll play with it a bit more.

BTW, it'll be a bit before I can get back to this. I just got a contract for the remainder of this week and all of next. Kind of fuzzy from there. You gotta pay the bills somehow. :)

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 13
- 6/27/2002 7:23:33 PM   
juliet7bravo

Tell me about it. No work for a month, then starting next week I got 2 months worth of contracts in 4 countries lined up back to back. No rush, this games going to be around awhile...

(in reply to von Murrin)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Map icon mod. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI