Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

68 Years ago today.............

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 68 Years ago today............. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:28:09 PM   
captskillet

the event that finally brought the US into WWII took place............lest we not forget those who gave it all on that fateful morning !!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 1
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:30:19 PM   
sprior

"To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!...Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder" -- Winston Churchill

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 2
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:31:56 PM   
Kitakami

My deepest respect for those who gave their lifes in that conflict.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:44:03 PM   
m10bob

One of my favourite stories of the events of that day, is that Buzz Wagner, one of the few American pilots to get aloft, and fight the Japanese, was also in the P 38 flight which intercepted Yamamoto's Betty transport flight..

This was his plane at Pearl.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 12/7/2009 12:49:01 PM >

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 4
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:55:53 PM   
GB68

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

One of my favourite stories of the events of that day, is that Buzz Wagner, one of the few American pilots to get aloft, and fight the Japanese, was also in the P 38 flight which intercepted Yamamoto's Betty transport flight..

huh??

My recollection is he was based in the PI, not at Pearl. And died (MIA) late 1942, when Yamamoto died April 1943? Unless there is another Buzz Wagner?

Anyway, my thoughts are also with the heros of that day. Be it in Pearl or in SE Asia. Or those unknown to us. Lest we forget!

"Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?"
- Spike Milligan

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 12:59:18 PM   
dorjun driver

Say, wasn't there a movie about this event? I can't quite remember the name. Pearl something... It'll come to me.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 2:30:06 PM   
moonraker65

Yes we must never forget the sacrifices of those at Pearl and many other battles. It's my intention to one day visit the Arizona Memorial and pay my respects.

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 7
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:27:50 PM   
P.Hausser

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Yes we must never forget the sacrifices of those at Pearl and many other battles. It's my intention to one day visit the Arizona Memorial and pay my respects.

ha, don't forget the millions of civilians who got bombed to death by the "liberators" ..

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 8
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:31:54 PM   
KyleK

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

Say, wasn't there a movie about this event? I can't quite remember the name. Pearl something... It'll come to me.

yes , it was called tora! tora! tora!

Post #: 9
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:38:37 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior
"To have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. Now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all!...Hitler's fate was sealed. Mussolini's fate was sealed. As for the Japanese, they would be ground to powder" -- Winston Churchill

Thank you, Sprior. The USA gets called so many negative thigns by so many nations (including our own) that it is incredibly encouraging to hear somebody say or quote something nice about us.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 10
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:44:07 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: P.Hausser
quote:

ha, don't forget the millions of civilians who got bombed to death by the "liberators" ..

The Allies definately should have conducted the war in such a way as to not harm any civilians. The fact that civilians are in the area should have prevented the Allies from bombing or otherwise targeting railroads in France, industry in Belgium, chemicals in Germany, airfields in Italy, oil fields in Romania, naval assets in Norway, reinforced defensive positions on Okinawa, shipbuilding and warehouses in Japan, vital rail and road junctions in Malaya, or any other military target where there was any chance that civilians might be hurt.

(in reply to P.Hausser)
Post #: 11
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:50:38 PM   
Terminus

Don't feed the troll.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 12
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 3:59:37 PM   
tocaff

War is a  great tragedy for man and it's sad that our technology grows by leaps and bounds during it.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 4:03:11 PM   
ckammp

A moment of silence, and my deepest respect for those who died on 7 Dec 41.

And THANK YOU to all the veterans of WWII. Your sacrifices were not in vain, nor are they forgotten.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 14
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 4:05:48 PM   
Zacktar

My respects to all those who served their nations with honor.

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 15
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 4:09:14 PM   
captskillet

quote:

ha, don't forget the millions of civilians who got bombed to death by the "liberators" .

I didn't start this as a pro or con deal.................only to honor the sacrifices of the servicemen and civilians that paid a price BEFORE a war had been declared so BUG OFF on my threads from now on! DAMMIT THAT BURNS MY BUTT...... cant even post a thread about PEARL HARBOR without someone highjacking it for theor own purposes...........start your own leave mine alone!

PS..........like the AXIS powers never bombed or killed civilians!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to P.Hausser)
Post #: 16
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 4:13:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Hear hear.

It was a dark day in American history. We've seen them before PH and we'll see them again.

It was also a good day for the rest of the allied world at arms. Total war cast the die fatefully against the Axis machine. For Americans, PH is a promise of victory to come, but at great current cost.

Remember those that gave their all.

For those of you (Americans) out there that haven't yet visited the Arizona memorial in PH, you owe it to yourselves to do so while there are still some WWII vets alive to tell the tale.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 17
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 4:14:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

quote:

ha, don't forget the millions of civilians who got bombed to death by the "liberators" .

I didn't start this as a pro or con deal.................only to honor the sacrifices of the servicemen and civilians that paid a price BEFORE a war had been declared so BUG OFF on my threads from now on! DAMMIT THAT BURNS MY BUTT...... cant even post a thread about PEARL HARBOR without someone highjacking it for theor own purposes...........start your own leave mine alone!

PS..........like the AXIS powers never bombed or killed civilians!!!

Cap,

Try the green button on people that cannot be reasonably courteous. I find it very refreshing.

Post #: 18
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 5:07:11 PM   
scott64

quote:

ORIGINAL: GB68

quote:

huh??

My recollection is he was based in the PI, not at Pearl. And died (MIA) late 1942, when Yamamoto died April 1943? Unless there is another Buzz Wagner?

Anyway, my thoughts are also with the heros of that day. Be it in Pearl or in SE Asia. Or those unknown to us. Lest we forget!

From Wienie Roasting
Boyd David Wagner
1941- The first Ace in World War II was First Lieutenant Boyd David Wagner of Johnstown, PA. On December 11th, Lieutenant Boyd D. 'Buzz' Wagner, Commander of the 17th Pursuit Squadron, took off on a one-man reconnaissance mission to observe the Japanese landings at Aparri.As he flew over Aparri, Wagner could not resist decending lower to strafe the enemy.In doing so, he was jumped by five Zeros. To escape, 'Buzz' rolled over and dived for the sea, but he failed to escape from two of the Zeros following him. He suddenly chopped his power and the enemy planes zoomed passed him and came into his gun sights. 'Buzz' blazed away with his machine-guns and the two zeros burst into flames.In a daring maneuver, Lt.Wagner made another pass coming back low over the water.The Japanese were surprised. 'Buzz' strafed 12 parked Zeros, and left, leaving several planes burning.The U.S. Command was not pleased with Wagner's extra air involvement on the mission.However, his actions were soon overlooked. Several days later 'Buzz' Wagner headed a flight of three P-40s against an enemy-held field at Vigan, Philippines.Lt.Wagner and his wingmen, Lieutenants Church and Strauss began to rip up the field with 30-pound fragmentation bombs. Wagner was later awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his exploits at Vigan.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to GB68)
Post #: 19
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 6:09:11 PM   
John Lansford

quote:

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

Yeah, it was called Tora Tora Tora. You must have a faulty memory.

Thanks to all those who fought and served during WWII in the US military.

Post #: 20
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 6:23:56 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

the event that finally brought the US into WWII took place............lest we not forget those who gave it all on that fateful morning !!!

Good idea captskillet. And thanks to all who served, and are serving now.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Post #: 21
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 6:26:21 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: P.Hausser

quote:

But I will forget you. Asshats like yourself are what the greenbutton is for

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to P.Hausser)
Post #: 22
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 6:38:08 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

quote:

ORIGINAL: GB68

quote:

huh??

From Wienie Roasting
Boyd David Wagner
1941- The first Ace in World War II was First Lieutenant Boyd David Wagner of Johnstown, PA. On December 11th, Lieutenant Boyd D. 'Buzz' Wagner, Commander of the 17th Pursuit Squadron, took off on a one-man reconnaissance mission to observe the Japanese landings at Aparri.As he flew over Aparri, Wagner could not resist decending lower to strafe the enemy.In doing so, he was jumped by five Zeros. To escape, 'Buzz' rolled over and dived for the sea, but he failed to escape from two of the Zeros following him. He suddenly chopped his power and the enemy planes zoomed passed him and came into his gun sights. 'Buzz' blazed away with his machine-guns and the two zeros burst into flames.In a daring maneuver, Lt.Wagner made another pass coming back low over the water.The Japanese were surprised. 'Buzz' strafed 12 parked Zeros, and left, leaving several planes burning.The U.S. Command was not pleased with Wagner's extra air involvement on the mission.However, his actions were soon overlooked. Several days later 'Buzz' Wagner headed a flight of three P-40s against an enemy-held field at Vigan, Philippines.Lt.Wagner and his wingmen, Lieutenants Church and Strauss began to rip up the field with 30-pound fragmentation bombs. Wagner was later awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his exploits at Vigan.

Tank you..I stand corrected..No idea how I was off that bad...

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 23
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 8:39:13 PM   
Brigs

Salute to all those who gave everything that day.

Has a bit of a personal note for me, as my father-in-law was at Pearl Harbor during the attack on Dec 7th.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 24
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 9:03:56 PM   
Przemcio231

My mom has birthday today so i never have problems with remebering the date

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)

(in reply to Brigs)
Post #: 25
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 9:43:46 PM   
Lecivius

A moment of silence for a world in pain.

And only my second every Green Button.

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 26
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 10:29:46 PM   
Historiker

God bless America and may the victims rest in peace.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 27
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 10:49:16 PM   
Yamamoto Isoroku

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." (Yamamoto)

"A military man can scarcely pride himself on having smitten a sleeping enemy; it is more a matter of shame, simply, for the one smitten."
Isoroku Yamamoto

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 28
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 11:10:20 PM   
bradfordkay

You do know that it's just not quite cricket to quote yourself, don't you?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Yamamoto Isoroku)
Post #: 29
RE: 68 Years ago today............. - 12/7/2009 11:39:44 PM   
blastpop

My father's cousin was stationed on the West Virginia at Pearl on December 7th. Fortunately for him he was on shore leave after partying on Saturday night.  He was scheduled to be back to the ship by 6 AM Sunday morning but was inebriated from the night before and did not make it back in time. He went on to survive the war and passed on in 2005. Hopefully he and his shipmates that have passed are resting in peace. God bless America.

< Message edited by blastpop -- 12/7/2009 11:41:59 PM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 68 Years ago today............. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI