Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Map mod (comments welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Map mod (comments welcome) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Map mod (comments welcome) - 6/8/2002 1:27:25 PM   
Supervisor

Ok. Don't know whether this would be the best place for this, but here goes.

What I've done is this: I have taken some satellite photos of the region and utilized them to make a map of the theater. By doing so, I have got it set up so that I can add shading to the shallow water hexes (once I find out what they actually are). Right now, the "shallow" shading is essentially cosmetic along any shore/reef that is out there. There have been many things that I "modified" in order to fit the hexgrid (i.e. Papua is a little thinner than it [I]actually[/I] is, [I]Guadalcanal is a little fatter,[/I] Australia got moved south, many little islands got shifted around somewhat, etc.).

What I would like to get is some feedback on these. Especially on defects, etc.

You can use many programs to translate the jpg's to bmp's (I use IrfanView, which is excellent -- and free! :D ).

«edit»

I was able to get the server space (thanks to Oleg). [I]And so, I decided to do cleanup on all of the posts and consolidate everything to the beginning of the thread.[/I]

[I]Note: I have toned down the reefs in the maps.[/I] So, here are the url's to access the map and screen mods:

[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~m.gilchrist/Images/original-map-shallow.jpg[/IMG]
[URL=http://www.bug.hr/oleg/uv/original-map-shallow-bmp.ZIP]Original game maps, bmp version, with shallow water areas shown[/URL] [SIZE=1](size: 3750 Kb)[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~m.gilchrist/Images/map-photo.jpg[/IMG]
[URL=http://www.bug.hr/oleg/uv/UV-maps-photo-shallow-bmp.ZIP]Dark blue sea color game maps, bmp version, with shallow water areas shown[/URL] [SIZE=1](size: 5384 Kb)[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~m.gilchrist/Images/map-original.jpg[/IMG]
[URL=http://www.bug.hr/oleg/uv/UV-maps-shallow-bmp.ZIP]Gray (original) sea color game maps, bmp version, with shallow water areas shown[/URL] [SIZE=1](size: 5203 Kb)[/SIZE]

[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~m.gilchrist/Images/map-royal.jpg[/IMG]
[URL=http://www.bug.hr/oleg/uv/UV-maps-mod-photo-shallow-bmp.ZIP]Medium blue sea color game maps, bmp version, with shallow water areas shown[/URL] [SIZE=1](size: 5224 Kb)[/SIZE]

Files included in [I]all of the[/I] map mods [SIZE=1][I](except for the original maps, didn't need to include the StrategicMap)[/I][/SIZE]: [SIZE=1](cspmap, cspmap2 & StrategicMap)[/SIZE]

-----------------------------------

The screen mods got moved to their own thread. 08/21/02

«/edit»

Here's a link for the IrfanView viewer:

[URL=http://www.irfanview.com]IrfanView[/URL]

Thanks.

Post #: 1
- 6/8/2002 8:48:22 PM   
Gary D

Rowlf,

Downloaded both and popped them through the converter. Will plug the "original" version into the game and let you know if I run into a glitch. Really like the "3D" impression of the satellite imagery. The first version is a little too dark for my personal preference. Makes me think of the North Atlantic!

Appreciate your effort to give us some options in an already excellent game!

Gary_D

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 2
Rowlf, - 6/9/2002 7:45:23 AM   
von Murrin

The "original" maps are much easier on the eyes. Very clever idea! The effect is quite beautiful.

Also, it really shows the quality of Iain's work, as it can stand up to satellite imagery and still look fantastic. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 3
Re: Rowlf, - 6/9/2002 4:24:07 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by von Murrin
[B]The "original" maps are much easier on the eyes. Very clever idea! The effect is quite beautiful.

Also, it really shows the quality of Iain's work, as it can stand up to satellite imagery and still look fantastic. :) [/B][/QUOTE]
Iain did all of the hard work. I just adapted what he did. :)

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 4
Updated for shallow sea hexes - 6/17/2002 11:44:04 PM   
Supervisor

I have just updated my map with the shallow water hexes shown. So I thought that I would post it.

«edit»[I]Just doing cleanup here. All downloads have been consolidated into one post.[/I]«/edit»

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 5
- 6/18/2002 1:36:08 AM   
von Murrin

Wow! You've outdone yourself. I think I'll be using this one. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 6
- 6/18/2002 1:44:30 AM   
juliet7bravo

Excellent! I'll be using it as well. Thanks for the effort and for making it available.

Errr...you're not the guy who made those cool green backgrounds for the Japanese menu/report screens are you? If so, any chance of getting a copy of them?

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 7
- 6/18/2002 5:02:57 AM   
wmtiz

Nice work. Well done!

Know your enemy and know yourself and you will always be victorious -- Sun Tzu

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 8
- 6/18/2002 5:48:36 AM   
Sabre21

Outstanding! What more can you say. I would like to know what program you used for that. Very nice job.

Andy

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 9
- 6/18/2002 8:58:39 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by juliet7bravo
[B]Excellent! I'll be using it as well. Thanks for the effort and for making it available.

Errr...you're not the guy who made those cool green backgrounds for the Japanese menu/report screens are you? If so, any chance of getting a copy of them? [/B][/QUOTE]
Nope. But I did try to copy it! :D

Don't know how successful I was. Attached is a composite (jpg of a bit lower quality) of several of the screens. I haven't yet done anything with the new screens that came with the patch.

«edit»So, if you do want a copy, I can assemble a zipped file of high quality jpgs (translate to bmp's just like the map). Let me know.«/edit»

[QUOTE]Outstanding! What more can you say. I would like to know what program you used for that. Very nice job.[/QUOTE]
Paint Shop Pro 7

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 10
- 6/18/2002 9:58:14 AM   
juliet7bravo

I'd LOVE a copy...I'm currently Paintshop-less as my niece destroyed my CD. A VERY nice mod, and you've got just about exactly the right shade of green.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 11
- 6/19/2002 10:32:37 AM   
juliet7bravo

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Looking it over now, a vast improvement over blah blah blue for everything.

Only improvement possible for the "next gen" would be the bits that have pics in them, ie. the ground, sea, intell screens with the maps/pics overlain by the green (or blue) filters. IMO, the pics should be aged BW, the maps should be dirty white maps with the symbols ect. I'll pick up a new copy of PSP and start to work on them as well.

Many thanks, and it's VERY much appreciated!

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 12
- 6/19/2002 12:44:07 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by juliet7bravo
[B]You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Looking it over now, a vast improvement over blah blah blue for everything.

Only improvement possible for the "next gen" would be the bits that have pics in them, ie. the ground, sea, intell screens with the maps/pics overlain by the green (or blue) filters. IMO, the pics should be aged BW, the maps should be dirty white maps with the symbols ect. I'll pick up a new copy of PSP and start to work on them as well.

Many thanks, and it's VERY much appreciated! [/B][/QUOTE]
Well, when you get PSP, if you want a file or two to play with, I have them (for the most part) already layerized. Sizes anywhere from ½ Mb to 4½ MB (CombatReportJ_1024). They might save you a little work. :)

I did a little "aging" on the portrait in the Combat Summary graphic (j_combatsummary), and I did some color correction for the graphics on the plane & ship data screens.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 13
- 6/19/2002 1:07:56 PM   
Raverdave

Brilliant work ! Love it!

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 14
- 6/19/2002 9:23:55 PM   
juliet7bravo

Found the one you made the corrections on, a vast improvement IMO. I'll play around a bit, and holler if I need the layerized versions. I have a bud who's a commercial artist I work on another game with, I can probably just swap him some 3DS tank models he's been pestering me to do for some graphics work on these. Thanks...

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 15
bmp versions available - 6/20/2002 10:41:31 AM   
Supervisor

«edit»

Moved to top of thread. :D

«/edit»

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 16
- 6/21/2002 2:19:33 AM   
Sabre21

Hi Rowlf

I really like your maps, in particular the one with the mid shade of blue...also the lighter shade of blue one is nice too. Is there any way to dither out some of the background behind all the labels on the mid blue one (it's the one on the bottom of the 3 you posted earlier in this thread)? The label backgrounds look a bit distorted on that one...I don't know if that was intentional.

Also is it possible to thin out them coral reefs...maybe make them only a pixel or two wide. I know they are necessary for game play but I don't think they need to be so obtrusive. Besides...one of them cuts into one of the islands on your map.

Andy

PS: Great job BTW! I am looking forward to see what you come up with next:)

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 17
- 6/21/2002 6:17:25 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sabre21
[B]Hi Rowlf

I really like your maps, in particular the one with the mid shade of blue...also the lighter shade of blue one is nice too. Is there any way to dither out some of the background behind all the labels on the mid blue one (it's the one on the bottom of the 3 you posted earlier in this thread)? The label backgrounds look a bit distorted on that one...I don't know if that was intentional.

Also is it possible to thin out them coral reefs...maybe make them only a pixel or two wide. I know they are necessary for game play but I don't think they need to be so obtrusive. Besides...one of them cuts into one of the islands on your map.

Andy

PS: Great job BTW! I am looking forward to see what you come up with next:) [/B][/QUOTE]
Well, the text is the same on all three color versions. I have already played with fonts already. Will have to check my other available font sources for any other possibilities.

The reefs actually cut into 2 or 3 of the islands. :D I did shift the Louisiade Archipelago a little bit farther south. I also shifted a couple of the reefs off of the hexgrid boundary just a bit. Look this over. (Trimmed off more of the reefs. The original was a quick trim-down of the reefs from the original map. This is a second quick trim-down).

I'll be going offline for a week and a half or so, so not much is going to change for awhile. :D

Check the attached jpg (346kb in size). It's the results of the quick hackjob that I did on it.

«edit»
[I]I changed the reefs to 25% opacity to tone them down.[/I]
«/edit»

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 18
- 6/21/2002 7:32:52 AM   
Sabre21

Thanks for the extra work. I didn't realize the paint program could do all this. Ive been playing around cleaning up the backgrounds on the letters so they blend into the blue more. At least on my machine the background appeared distorted on the mid blue version but not the other two.

Andy

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 19
- 6/21/2002 9:45:54 AM   
Supervisor

[I]Most of the hard work was done while I was first setting up the files (layers and all). Now I can go in and modify one layer fairly easily without disturbing most of the rest. [/I]

[I]As for the text, the only thing that I can figure is[/I] that when the layers are all merged back together (on that background especially) there is some distortion. I can brighten the text of the base names by taking anti-alias off. Anti-alias set many of the border pixels [I]of the letters[/I] at different levels of transparency, so the overall effect changes as does the background color.

As for the reefs (I didn't think of this the first time) but I can make them 75% transparent. That tones them down quite a bit.

The version here has got the base text without anti-alias [I](I think the font is Arial as well, not exactly the same as the other)[/I].

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 20
Very nice! - 6/22/2002 11:24:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

Outstanding work, Rowlf! Do you also have modified Allied interface screens that have a similar 3D look to your Japanese screens? I downloaded and am trying out all your mods now and I'm quite pleased with them, look forward to trying out your "total conversion" when you get to finishing this up. :)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 21
- 6/23/2002 3:49:23 PM   
Sabre21

That last map's a winner there Rowlf...nice job:)

Andy

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 22
- 6/26/2002 10:47:09 PM   
Intruder

i really love these new maps however, is it just me or do the seas seem very pixilated? Is it possible to clean these up?

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 23
- 7/5/2002 5:56:23 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intruder
[B]i really love these new maps however, is it just me or do the seas seem very pixilated? Is it possible to clean these up? [/B][/QUOTE]
What do you mean exactly? I've been looking at them too long to be able to judge (methinks). I do notice that there is a banding around the land (which happens when I mash everything back down to a single layer). I will be trying something to improve on that, but I'm not sure it will do anything worthwhile.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 24
Re: Very nice! - 7/6/2002 1:09:07 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]Outstanding work, Rowlf! Do you also have modified Allied interface screens that have a similar 3D look to your Japanese screens? I downloaded and am trying out all your mods now and I'm quite pleased with them, look forward to trying out your "total conversion" when you get to finishing this up. :)

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]
The jpg versions are available. I haven't yet gotten the bmp versions uploaded to the webserver yet.

Modified the post at the beginning of this thread and added the new stuff there as well.

FYi

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 25
- 7/6/2002 1:28:36 PM   
Fred98

Rowlf, the artworkk is excellent.

To prolong the game what is really needed is a new map.

I would hope to play the long campaign, twice from each side H2H and thats it.

If there were a brand new map I would again play the long campaign twice from each side H2H.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 26
- 7/6/2002 11:52:53 PM   
Gustaf

Many thanks Rowlf :)

Great job!

Gus

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time... Only thus can a weaker country cope with a stronger; it must make up in activity what it lacks in strength."
- General Thomas "S

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 27
Bravo! - 7/7/2002 11:57:28 PM   
mariovalleemtl

Bravo Rowlf! I do prefer the orriginal map but I use all your other mod. :)

Do you plane to color all the ships in this game? I will love it.

mario

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 28
bmp versions available - 7/8/2002 6:06:10 AM   
Supervisor

Just to let you know that the bmp versions of all mods are now available (again, thanks to Oleg).

These include the new common combat screens, the allied screens, a couple of slight combat summary variations and the toned-down reef versions of the maps.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 29
location changes? - 7/8/2002 8:20:50 AM   
Michael Walker

Hi, I'm very interested in using these mods, but I'm concerned about your comment that Australia was moved south and that various small islands were moved aroung. How far south did it go? As it stands, LBA is stretched to support Port Moresby, I can see where this might really affect the outcome of the game. I'm less concerned about the islands as its indicated that they are small -- I'm assuming that they aren't ones in play.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,

Mike

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Map mod (comments welcome) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI