Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

artillery questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> artillery questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
artillery questions - 12/9/2009 11:15:57 AM   
cato13

hi,

is there a unlimber option somewhere i cant find for artillery or doesnt arty need to unlimbered to fire in EE?

also, whats with the short range of arty (3 hexes)? i cant understand why infantry have the same range of fire as arty, ok the effective range for infantry is 2 hexes but shouldnt the max range of arty be higher than infantry?

and whats the hex size on brigade level battles? the reason i ask is cos im havin problems gettin arty to fire into hexes with smoke. shouldnt the be an option to fire on a hex even if it has smoke?

ps

i keep hittin brick walls on the battle map. i have an arty unit in a hex with no enemy units anywhere near it yet it can only move to 3 hexes, all away from the front line. why will it only move to these 3 hexes? they are all open field.

the UI with this game isnt helpfull at all. simple tooltips explainin why somethin cant be done would be great

< Message edited by tonedog -- 12/9/2009 11:45:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: artillery questions - 12/9/2009 11:42:51 AM   
ant1815

Yes and no.

There's no 'unlimber' option as such, but changing from column to line formation performs essentially the same function. I think you'll find that you can fire further than 3 hexes once you've done that.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 2
RE: artillery questions - 12/9/2009 4:31:24 PM   
cato13

taken from the manual

Rifle and Jager units have a range of 3 hexes.
Regular, Light, and Landwehr Infantry have a range of 3, but are only really effective at 2.
Artillery have a range of 3, except Howitzers, whose range is 2.
Cavalry have a range of 2 but are poor at firing, and are best used to charge.

so is this not the case then? as i said it seems very strange that arty has the same range as infantry. thanks for clearin my 1st question up, how about the 2nd one?

why when my arty has no units anywhere near it is it restricted to only 3 hexes in the opposite direction to the where the fight is? it isnt even allowed to move onto a dirt road hex which is directly north of it. it has been in any combat whatsoever so far.

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 3
RE: artillery questions - 12/9/2009 4:55:43 PM   
ant1815

What level battles are you fighting, Division or brigade?

I've only ever fought brigade level battles and my arty definitely has longer range than my infantry, although I'm going from memory here and I haven't played COGEE for a while.

As to the problem of moving your arty, have you moved them back in to column formation? They won't move too well in line. Are they in full order and not disordered?. Other than that I agree, movement in this game can be very strange. I've often had units get 'stuck' or refusing to move somewhere for no obvious reason.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 4
RE: artillery questions - 12/10/2009 9:54:52 AM   
terje439

Range 3 sounds correct for arty, range 4 or 5 for heavy arty.

Do you have a screenshot of the arty you cannot move? That would help. Might just be due to movement points (like going down a hill or something) that prevents it from moving forwards.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to ant1815)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> artillery questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI