Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When will we see a new CC?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> When will we see a new CC? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When will we see a new CC? - 11/27/2009 9:48:45 PM   
GaryChildress

When will we see a new Close Combat game? Don't get me wrong, I love the remake of CC5 and look forward to the remake of Market Garden which is rumored. However, I would really love to see some new titles out there too.

Let me say what I'd really like to see...

I would like to see an easily modable Pacific version of CC. Make an official game out of Guadalcanal or something and then give modders easy ability to mod it into Burma campaigns or Malaysia or China or something. I think the Pacific would be a great new CC venue.

Post #: 1
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 11/29/2009 2:56:00 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I would like to see an easily modable Pacific version of CC

If it's easily moddable then it doesn't really matter where it's set. What's more important (IMHO) are restrictions we cannot outflank such as the limitations on campaign length and the number of maps.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/3/2009 9:32:29 PM   
Platoon_Michael

What exactly is the defination for new?
I've seen this topic so many times and more often than not it only starts with ones wishes for a particular campaign (no offense gary)

God knows I have my opinions.
A worldbuilder like Company of Heros has would be nice.But a lot of people seem to dislike that idea.

Real weather!
I've been playing a map on COH called Bizory and it's very nice that when the Battle starts it's just sunny as the day goes on it starts snowing and then it gets dark.After it gets dark your soldiers stop yelling and begin to whisper.
And graphics graphics and more graphics

Now granted the gameplay isnt as attractive as CC but apparently some people have modded that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/3/2009 9:35:18 PM >

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 3
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/3/2009 9:49:38 PM   
Andrew Williams

Intersting mick

Isn't that scene you show rather sterile?

Does the snow build up on the ground and buildings?

Nice looking vehicle though.

You have previously posted that you see no point in night time battles, have you changed your mind or are you just all over the shop?

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 4
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/3/2009 10:02:08 PM   
Platoon_Michael

It's not really Dark in COH but it's enough to make the player understand whats going on.
The scene is sterile as it's my 1st attempt at building a map with worldbuilder.(Bit of a learning curve for myself)
One can add Vehicles/soldiers etc etc Im assuming for scale purposes.

The snow does not build up on the ground or on the roofs or even the trees.

And I do not agree with the way night battles look for CC nor do I expect much from it in terms of gameplay.
For WAR I could understand early morning battles on the opening of the GC (same thing as night) so no I dont consider myself all over the place.

Whats interesting about COH for me atleast is the huge modding community,I used to think such 3D models wouldnt get much attention in terms of modding but I was wrong.
Some of the work I've seen is very impressive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/3/2009 10:14:51 PM >

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 5
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/3/2009 11:01:37 PM   
Fred98

What is "COH" ???

-

Post #: 6
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/3/2009 11:06:14 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Company of Heros

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 7
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/6/2009 9:20:55 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael

A worldbuilder like Company of Heros has would be nice. But a lot of people seem to dislike that idea.

Standard question Mike:

Does Company of Heros map editor allow a top down view with no fisheye?

Post #: 8
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 12:34:50 AM   
Fred98

Company of Heroes is such a bad game I am amazed in appears in a wargaming forum!

-

Post #: 9
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 2:43:02 AM   
gunny

quote:

Company of Heros

if you are implying the next rendition of CC should go 3D, then that would be Theatre O War 3. Therefore Close Combat as we know it would no longer exist. No point going there, just play TOW 3 right?

I agree a next generation engine should be pursued for the future of the series. 3D is not required. 2.5D at most. Larger maps, scroll zoom, map motion ie water flowing, trees swaying. Tighter sprite animation. 3D illusion techniques for sure. If matrix doesn't take the next step its unlikely to ever happen. I can't see any other game company ever pursuing a traditional close combat style game.

Post #: 10
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 11:55:21 AM   
Platoon_Michael

I think so,
In worldbuilder you can pan out much further than the default game will let you.
The camra settings for Max Zoom can be edited in the game but I havent gotten around to it yet.
I dont know if the camera angle can be edited in game.

Here is the default zoom in world editor (with the camera angle at it's max position (That I know of)
This is a picture from our own Gary Childress (How To) who figured out how to add units to Maps

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/7/2009 12:09:05 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 12:00:16 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Here is a pic that I think you want to see Talorgan.
You can go pan so far out in worldbuilder that the map will actually dissapear.
My system is Good as far as running the game but I definatly need a new graphics card in order to get it up to Great.
Currently I only have 128MB
I've been told I should also upgrade to Windows 64 bit to get the best use out of all the memory I have.
I'm using a 24" Monitor with the settings at 1280X1024

I found out yesterday that worldbuilder is a HUGE memory hog and it bogs my system down a lot when loading this map.
Worldbuilder also shows all animation like this map that has smoking wrecks and rain/snow if you applied that option.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/7/2009 12:28:55 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 12:07:28 PM   
Platoon_Michael

As far as game play goes I dont know if it's as bad as what Joe 98 says.
I've tried One mod so far and have another yet to install.
And yet a 3rd over Xmas Holidays.
It's a BotB mod :)
I do however dislike units shooting at each other just mere inches apart.Hopefully thats something they corrected.
The game has replays too.

Reading the info about the Mods looks to me people have changed the things I dont like but well see.
The games pretty cheap,you can get a Gold Edition at Best Buy for $20 that contains the first two games.

Also interesting is it doesnt matter which version you have to play online as long as you are both patched up to 2.601
So you could have one version and your friend have a different version and stil be able to play a Skirmish against each other.
The Campaigns are unlocked by entering the CD Key and need no further instalation (No strat map)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/7/2009 12:39:23 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 12:33:48 PM   
Platoon_Michael

You can rotate the Camera as well
I reduced the Image size considerably
I dont know if the skirts are missing due to Damage or my grahpics card.This shot was taken after the Battle was over.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Platoon_Michael -- 12/7/2009 1:44:35 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/7/2009 12:38:12 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Night Battle at Bizory(Skirmish Mode)
This map starts out with Daylight changes to Night then it starts snowing.
I've read you can have Fog in the morning,sun during the day then snow at Night but havent seen it yet.
Assuming your battle lasts that long.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 15
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/9/2009 12:55:00 PM   
Nomada_Firefox

Have you tried Men of War? it can be modded.

Post #: 16
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/12/2009 8:29:00 PM   
Napalm_Knight_49

For the next game I would like to see some kind of way-point pathing system so its easier to flank instead of having to watch and move that unit until it has flanked the enemy

(in reply to Nomada_Firefox)
Post #: 17
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/12/2009 8:51:55 PM   
Andrew Williams

CC already has a waypoint system, read your manual.

Choose a command , hold down shift and place way points with a left mouse click.

Up to 20 way points may be placed.

(in reply to Napalm_Knight_49)
Post #: 18
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/20/2009 7:20:08 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunny

that would be Theatre O War 3. Therefore Close Combat as we know it would no longer exist. No point going there, just play TOW 3 right?

Does ToW III take psychology and morale into account the way Close Combat does?

quote:

Here is a pic that I think you want to see Talorgan

Many thanks, but looks like it's "fisheye positive".

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 19
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/21/2009 2:55:14 AM   
gunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

quote:

that would be Theatre O War 3. Therefore Close Combat as we know it would no longer exist. No point going there, just play TOW 3 right?

Does ToW III take psychology and morale into account the way Close Combat does?

Not meant to come across as a hype for TOW at the expense of close combat. My context being to modernize close combat without it coming across as a TOW look alike. Morale is one positive attribute yes. I also add terrain effects on vehicles as another +1 for CC.

Post #: 20
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/27/2009 12:40:42 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

quote:

My context being to modernize close combat without it coming across as a TOW look alike. Morale is one positive attribute yes. I also add terrain effects on vehicles as another +1 for CC.

So, Squad Assault without the bugs?!

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 21
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 12/29/2009 2:48:54 AM   
gunny

quote:

quote:

quote:

My context being to modernize close combat without it coming across as a TOW look alike. Morale is one positive attribute yes. I also add terrain effects on vehicles as another +1 for CC.

So, Squad Assault without the bugs?!

Oh no. Keep it 2D. Platoon Michaels's picture with the top down view of the sherman is an awsome example of a future Close Combat look.

Post #: 22
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/4/2010 8:12:41 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

Platoon Michaels's picture with the top down view of the sherman is an awsome example of a future Close Combat look.

Am inclined to agree, but the current graphics cover up a multitude of modders' sins and therefore, arguably, make modding easier.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 23
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/4/2010 9:57:05 PM   
Southernland

One of the biggest things a new generation CC could benefit from is a smaller scale coding framework.  Currently each 10x10px square is coded as a single element 5x5 would give a finer LOS.  When you code a map you can see how clunky the elements are compared to the graphics

Post #: 24
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/4/2010 10:07:10 PM   
Tejszd

Changing the map scale for the graphic and elements would be better. That would also eliminate a problem that some have with the map (5 pixels per meter), men (12 pixels per meter) and vehicles (8 pixels per meter).

Note:
- some CC5 mods have vehicles at 10 or greater pixels per meter
- you can get/use smaller soldier graphics (7.7 or 9.5 pixels) so men are closer to the vehicle size http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/LongestDay/tLDmods.html

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 25
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/5/2010 10:27:37 AM   
Platoon_Michael

A smaller scale of images is just not a good thing, while I do appreciate the scale very much of the resized sprites, being 44 and having to wear glasses in order to see the very small type/images is horrible.
Not only that but it provides nothing in terms of eye candy.

While the close up shots I posted of COH are very nice and very pretty you can’t play the game like that.
It leaves an enormous amount of territory and action out of view and that just leads to too much confusion when you move from unit to unit during battle, especially when you add in having to pan the camera in order to correctly see what happening to the next unit you move to.

I remember when TT changed the scale for vehicles to better depict the sprite scale
The argument then was how it made all the hoses look to small.

But if you compare the vehicles of WAR to those from VetBoB side by side, the VetBoB vehicles look much better.

I think it would be very nice to see an increase in size for everything and also Southlands idea.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 26
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/6/2010 7:40:47 AM   
davidss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

One of the biggest things a new generation CC could benefit from is a smaller scale coding framework.  Currently each 10x10px square is coded as a single element 5x5 would give a finer LOS.  When you code a map you can see how clunky the elements are compared to the graphics

if possible to have smaller squares for coding (as mentioned above) ... it may also help with vehicle pathing. Similar to pixels on a photo ... the smaller they are, the less jagged the diagonal edges are. CC vehicles may react better to a smoother change in elements ... ?
If nothing else though ... more detailed coding of buildings, etc, could be done.

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 27
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/6/2010 7:42:00 AM   
davidss

edit

< Message edited by davidss -- 1/9/2010 9:01:50 AM >

(in reply to davidss)
Post #: 28
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 1/22/2010 11:09:23 PM   
warishere

Personally, I think CoH is a terrible game. I don't know why so many people play it. The only thing I like about it is how infantry will seek cover on their own. Other than that, its just a WWII arcade game and nothing more.

(in reply to davidss)
Post #: 29
RE: When will we see a new CC? - 2/1/2010 4:33:31 AM   
goodfoot

At the risk of saying something that a thousand other people have already said, I think the biggest change CC could make in another game is the overall scope. While fighting these singular campaigns is fun, I would love to fight the WHOLE European campaign in one game. Eastern front, western front, Operation Dragoon, Torch, Anzio, the works! Hmm I guess maybe the game would just be too gargantuan huh? But I think hardcore lovers of CC would like a comprehensive, drawn-out tactical slugfest with the Germans (of the Allies of course).

(in reply to warishere)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> When will we see a new CC? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI