Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fast evacuations? What's the best way.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Fast evacuations? What's the best way. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/13/2009 7:11:04 PM   
DRF99

Hi,

Any hints on the best way to do fast evacuations of LCUs?

Assume you want to race into a base, pick up some troops during the night phase and get out before sunrise when you're likely to get pounded by planes.

I can make a fast transport task force, send it to pick up the unit in question, but I can't specify "only load troops", etc. So the task force goes to the base to pick up and is still there in the morning loading troops, supplies, the kitchen sink, and anything else.

Of course, one the task force arrives at the base where I want to evacuate troops from, I can then click the "load troop options" but by then it is too late to make a fast get away.

So, are there any tricks on doing "Tokyo Express"-like fast evacuations under the cover of night?

Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/14/2009 8:33:03 AM   
Chris21wen

Fast transports, leave the heavy euipment ala Dunkirk. Part of a unit can be rebuilt but osing the whole of a unit means its gone forever. Note also that many Bde and Div come split up, evacuating only part of a Bn/Co will allow the whole of the larger unit to be rebuilt.

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 2
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/14/2009 11:30:29 PM   
DRF99

Actually, if I just want to grab part of a unit so I can rebuild it later, I'll send in a transport plane to grab it - much easier.

Dunkirk evacuations are relative easy, just send in the ships and hope not too many of them get sunk. It's evacuations ala Guadacanal where you sneak in at night, pick up some troops, and get away before dawn that I want to figure out how to do.

Cheers,

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 3
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/14/2009 11:52:49 PM   
viberpol

RTFM.

Fast transports are exactly the type of TF you need.
Chapter 6.2.5
Certain Task Force missions will stand off until nightfall, run in at full speed under cover of darkness, and then run out again as soon as their mission is completed. These are:

»Fast Transports, except those that are moving toward friendly bases not under enemy air threat.
»Surface Combat, Bombardment, or Minelaying Task Forces moving to enemy held bases.
»All other surface Task Forces moving to bases over which the enemy has air superiority.

The key here is the "air superiority". It's calculated by the engine, and based mainly on your recon.
I noticed different behaviours of fast transports TFs. Sometimes they stayed at the target to be caught in the morning by enemy air force. Sometimes, when the situation was clear, they did the job quite good.
Remember to refuel them, set the correct retire/no retire and chose several fastest, similar in type vessels.

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 4
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/15/2009 1:06:24 AM   
DRF99

I've tried that for re-supply missions and it works (mostly) well. Come to think of it, it probably depends on the degree of "air superiority" as you say.

The catch with I see it with picking up troops is that though it is fast to pick-up/load troops only, it is slow to also load the supplies that accompany the troops. If you are loading troops from a base you can specify only load troops but I can't figure out how to do this when you set a fast transport task force to pick up troops at another base.

Cheers,

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 5
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/15/2009 2:11:06 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: DRF99

I've tried that for re-supply missions and it works (mostly) well. Come to think of it, it probably depends on the degree of "air superiority" as you say.

The catch with I see it with picking up troops is that though it is fast to pick-up/load troops only, it is slow to also load the supplies that accompany the troops. If you are loading troops from a base you can specify only load troops but I can't figure out how to do this when you set a fast transport task force to pick up troops at another base.

Cheers,

I see your point. I have not tried to do what you are suggesting, run in, grab troops only, and run away before dawn. I am not sure it can be done like that.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 6
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/15/2009 2:53:42 AM   
Mynok

You could in Witp. Interesting if that's changed. So the 'Turn on Load Only Troops' option isn't available for FT?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 7
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/15/2009 3:06:38 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

You could in Witp. Interesting if that's changed. So the 'Turn on Load Only Troops' option isn't available for FT?

That option is still there for a normal troop loading situation, but I may not be thinking it through right, but how can you do it automatically ?

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 8
RE: Fast evacuations? What's the best way. - 12/15/2009 7:31:57 PM   
hunchback77

From the manual
6.3.3.4 NAVAL EVACUATIONS
Evacuations are a special type of amphibious transport. An Amphibious or Fast Transport TF
may attempt to evacuate friendly forces from a location other than their current hex. To do this,
order the TF to Load Troops and choose the Pick Up Unit option. This will allow you to select
any one friendly ground unit on the map. The TF will automatically set its destination to the hex
containing the unit to be evacuated, and then conduct a Fast Transport Mission to that hex. It
will arrive at night, and sprint toward home after performing a load that won’t cost the TF any
Operations Points. Only one ground unit may be picked up per TF. If you subsequently order the
TF to Load Troops or you set a new Destination for the TF, the pick up will be cancelled.

On the screen with the Pick Up Unit option you also have the option to Load Troops Only and Do Not Load Fuel option.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hunchback77 -- 12/15/2009 7:32:47 PM >

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Fast evacuations? What's the best way. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI