Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FoG or WWII GC?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> FoG or WWII GC? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FoG or WWII GC? - 12/20/2009 10:38:16 PM   
leastonh1

Hi all,

I'm torn and need convincing either way please

Field of Glory looks rather nice. As it's a conversion of what I'm told is a great boardgame ruleset and ancients too, I am very tempted. I like Slitherine's games anyway and have wanted to dip my toes properly into ancients for a while. But...

WWII General Commander is also pretty good and I love the isometric map. I played a demo a few months ago and really liked it (with reservations). It's a nice departure from hex/turn based games and WWII is always my first choice. The only thing putting me off buying now is the lack of patches since the release. I found units quite hard to select on the map and the lack of battle sounds was not a showstopper, but something that does need a fix. Is there a patch due or should I just go for FoG now and wait?

Anyone out there who owns one or both care to comment? I'm buying one or the other anyway

Cheers,
Jim

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
Post #: 1
RE: FoG or WWII GC? - 12/20/2009 11:12:17 PM   
PunkReaper

I have FOG and I am really enjoying it. The game reminds me of playing a larger computerized version of Command and colors: Ancients. It is simple to play but with a neat strategy element. What really makes the game for me is the scenario creator, this gives the game plenty of re-playability. We have been creating our own scenarios for each other to play using the online CC:ancients scenarios for guidance and my sons are going to get their own copies to play multiplayer online (they have both flown the nest).
There has already been a patch which fixed a few problems but which also came with further units and scenarios. The FoG table top wargame has quite a following with numerous expansions with different timelines and armies. I believe it is Slitherine's intention to release expansions covering further armies. I am hoping for a medieval release.
I am afraid I don't own both games but I am surprised how much I have enjoyed this game. I would probably say it has been my best purchase for a long long time.
So not a comparison but I hope this helps anyway.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 2
RE: FoG or WWII GC? - 12/20/2009 11:17:57 PM   
e_barkmann

Another vote for FOG here, having a blast with it and the multiplayer interface is very well designed.

Best game purchase for me in a long time.

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 3
RE: FoG or WWII GC? - 12/20/2009 11:49:08 PM   
leastonh1

Thanks to you both for the reply. I think that's sold me. The comparison to Command and Colours (sic) is the tipping point as it's one of the best board games I've played in many years (Memoir '44 notwithstanding). The multiplayer aspect seems one of the most popular features of FoG from what I've read. At least, that's how it comes across in posts and reviews about the game.

I'm still looking at General Commander, but will wait for a new patch.

Again, thanks very much. I'll buy a copy on Wednesday when I have more time to play

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 4
RE: FoG or WWII GC? - 12/21/2009 12:29:22 AM   
Waffenamt

Better late than never - but I've had more fun with FoG thn any other wargame I've gotten over the last couple of years. It's so refreshing to get that feel of a get-down-and-jump-in wargame... and I've been waiting for a down and dirty ancients one for a long time The wait is over!

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 5
RE: FoG or WWII GC? - 12/23/2009 1:10:13 PM   
leastonh1

Well, I've just played my first couple of simple scenarios against the AI in FoG and it's an absolute blast. The gui is really nicely designed and uncluttered. I wasn't sure about the unit graphics judging solely by the screenshots posted, but they do look good in game I'm happy to say.

Once I've read some of the manual and played a bit more, I'll start issuing challenges too.

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> FoG or WWII GC? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote