Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 8:07:57 AM   
cesteman

Pretty map. Want to do mine?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 91
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 8:18:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: cesteman
Pretty map. Want to do mine?

Send me the files and I'll put it together for you. Better yet why don't you download the movie maker document and do them yourself. You can find it in this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2323308

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 92
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 8:27:53 AM   
cesteman

LOL I was teasing ya. Your doing a good job. Honesty, I don't have the time to put together anything like that. 

Post #: 93
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 4:59:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey cesteman:  I wasn't kidding....send me your files and I'll put something together for you.

Also, Axis turn 5 of our contest is done.  Lots of changes this turn.  The Butgenbach depot had to move out of town, maybe it's in retreated status and I can destroy it after all.  I'm not sure that Patrick is pulling back.  He seems to be running out of units in the Butgenbach area though.....he was manning the front line with an HQ and an AA unit....so.....
You can find the turn 5 AAR at this url:  http://www.mediafire.com/?l5zoekynygy

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 94
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 11:17:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Patrick and I have received the newest version of August Fog and we discussed it and decided to start over using the newest version.  Here's the house rules:

1) XXX corp must stay near the Meuse. The Meuse is long, so XXX corp is permitted to defend the entire length.
2) Can only order bombardments and air strikes if there are _no_ assaulting units.
3) Bridges can be crossed the turn they are repaired. However, we may not blow up a bridge the same turn it's
  repaired!
4) Must remove mechanized units off of a blown bridge asap.

Patrick is the Allies again so I'm the Axis again.  I've already sent him my turn 1 moves 20 seconds ago.  I'm going to put together an AAR for this one too.  Stay tuned.

Post #: 95
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 11:42:51 PM   
sPzAbt653

Autumn Fog ... Autumn Fog ...

Can you explain house rule #2 as to why you are using it? I'm just not clear on it.

Post #: 96
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/19/2009 11:53:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the Axis turn 1 AAR.  I don't have time to make a fancy one so this one is tiny....only 1.1M bytes big.  You can find it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jybdzmmomyn

Post #: 97
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 3:18:50 AM   
Abnormalmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Can you explain house rule #2 as to why you are using it? I'm just not clear on it.

There appears to be a combat algorithm bonus when a unit is assaulting and artillery is supporting the assault. A small unit such as an AA unit can be ordered into a minimum loss assault simply to attain this artillery bonus. If a keen player notices an over stacked enemy hex, the player can order a small (or decimated) "ant" unit into a minimum assault against the over stacked hex and click on all supporting artillery to gain 100% damage instead of the regular 50%. The multipliers seem to stack. So if the this general observation holds true, the assaulting "ant" unit bestows more damage for the artillery, the target hex is over stacked so there is another damage bonus, and ultimately the "ant" simply breaks off the assault since the odds are impossible.

The developer in his blog wrote:

quote:

We're currently looking at the 'ant attacks' or the gamey tactic of adding in an AA gun or something else in order to enhance the quality of the artillery in the attack. I don't know for sure that we'll do something, but we're looking at it.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 98
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 4:34:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

I don't have enough units to make a decent front line all the way from the top of the map to the bottom so I came up with a different strategic plan.  It's TOP SECRET to Patrick until the intel is no longer useful....say turn 20 or so.  You can find the picture of my TOP SECRET plan at this url:

http://www1.picfront.org/picture/3lzcD9Ki/img/topsecretplan.GIF

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 99
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 4:38:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the entire front lines so far:

Post #: 100
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 4:44:08 AM   
larryfulkerson

So um...........Axis turn 2 is finished.  I gained a lot of hexes and destroyed a big stack of Allied units and my Panzers are headed north to the Butgenbach area and everything is going according to schedule.  Right, like I have some kind of plan.  You can find the Axis turn 2 AAR document at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwnamnm4mej

Post #: 101
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 9:12:45 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abnormalmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

There appears to be a combat algorithm bonus when a unit is assaulting and artillery is supporting the assault. A small unit such as an AA unit can be ordered into a minimum loss assault simply to attain this artillery bonus. If a keen player notices an over stacked enemy hex, the player can order a small (or decimated) "ant" unit into a minimum assault against the over stacked hex and click on all supporting artillery to gain 100% damage instead of the regular 50%. The multipliers seem to stack. So if the this general observation holds true, the assaulting "ant" unit bestows more damage for the artillery, the target hex is over stacked so there is another damage bonus, and ultimately the "ant" simply breaks off the assault since the odds are impossible.

The developer in his blog wrote:

quote:

We're currently looking at the 'ant attacks' or the gamey tactic of adding in an AA gun or something else in order to enhance the quality of the artillery in the attack. I don't know for sure that we'll do something, but we're looking at it.

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't understand the wording of :

quote:

2) Can only order bombardments and air strikes if there are _no_ assaulting units.

I see now it has something to do with Human to Human play, and not something Elmer does .

I wonder, if the Human player bombards an overstacked enemy hex with all available artillery, and leaves the 'ant' unit out of the assault, are the results different. Or what happens when the 'ant' unit is set to 'ignore losses'. I guess that is a discusion for 'ant unit tactics', and for each pbem is something for the players to decide.

Post #: 102
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 6:32:18 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie....Axis turn 3 is finished.  Lots of change.  You have to see it to believe it.  Turn 3's AAR can be found at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aew0zemvzgf

Here's what Patrick had to say about turn 3:

I managed to force your units to vacate the bridge towards the south, but failed to moved your units off the bridge north of Clerf. You are doing very well. The supply depots around Malmedy are making their escape. It was close. The only unit I had available to assault the paratrooper was a corp HQ. You seem to have mastered the German's need to push really hard early on. I'm on the ropes if you are able to make a substantial breakthrough somewhere.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/20/2009 11:51:18 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 103
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/20/2009 11:53:08 PM   
larryfulkerson

Quick question for Steve and or Rick:

I'm surrounding and destroying a lot of Allied units and I'm wondering if they reconstitute. Also, do the German units reconstitute?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 104
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 3:51:20 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I'm surrounding and destroying a lot of Allied units and I'm wondering if they reconstitute. Also, do the German units reconstitute?

On the German side, all the units reconstitute except for Korp and Army HQ's, the garrison units located at the Rhine River locations, and the Skorzeny and Pz Bde 150 units.

On the Allied side, all the units reconstitute except for Corp and Army HQ's, and the depot units.

Post #: 105
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 5:21:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Axis turn 4 is finished.  I destroyed a bunch of Allied stuff and grabbed a boat load of hexes and pushed the Allies back in several places and I'm thinking of releasing the south group.  The Robertville and Butgenbach supply depots are laughing at me.  Oh well.  You can find the Axis turn 4 AAR at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tzzrnin5zdj

Post #: 106
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 6:37:42 AM   
Abnormalmind

Turn 4 Allies:

Ouch !*@#@!$#!#

Expected on Turn 5:

Ouch !*@#@!$#!#

Post #: 107
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 7:19:41 AM   
Abnormalmind

Allied Turn 4

The Axis advance as been quick and brutal. The heaviest action is northeast of Malmedy. Although, the Axis are making a push towards Bastogne and Luxemburg. This image is of the Malmedy area. I count 7 panzer divisions and quite a few volksgrenadier divisions. The purple circle area is the 2nd Infantry Division, and they are getting crushed. The 7th Armored Division and 4th Infantry divisions, which are fresh, have filed in to create a blocking zone. The 3rd and 2nd armor divisions are active and in reserve. I'm not sure where Larry intends to push. Fortunately, the US forces are extremely maneuverable and can join the front quickly.

Hodges 1st Army artillery batteries are the red circles. That's what I like to refer to as death from afar. The US artillery units have a lot of tubes, and cause tremendous devastation. I started to shell Larry's overstacked units with tremendous damage. The barrages were doing 5-8% casualties each, and I was able to fire the long range tubes three times before digging them in before the end of the turn.

Post #: 108
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 10:25:26 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey patrick: you posted a picture that you took at 2:00 am in the morning and you have to work for a living. What a trooper. You can slow down if you want to. Please don't damage your health. Thanks very much for the input and the picture. I look forward to more.

Post #: 109
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/21/2009 9:03:04 PM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie.....Axis turn 5 is finished.  I pushed across some rivers, killed some troops, and generally raised mayhiem.  You can find the Axis turn 5 AAR at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mz2mxzmwmwo

Here's the moves minimovie from turns 1 throu 5:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/21/2009 9:05:43 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 2:41:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

Axis turn 6 is done.   Patrick is getting a lot of reinforcements and my advance has ground to a halt in some places.  In some other places Patrick doesn't have vary many troops and I can drive on.  He's going to get some aircraft soon and then it'll all be over.  Then I'll start loosing big time.  You can find the Axis turn 6 AAR at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzkzttwhmm5

Post #: 111
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 3:30:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys....I just noticed that in the turn 6 AAR I said this : "Steve has come up with a really great tactic." about Patrick putting a fortified engineer on a broken bridge.  Of course it's Patrick and I playing so it was Patrick that came up with the tactic.  Sorry for the error.

Here's a losses chart for showing how many were lost when etc.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/22/2009 3:39:27 AM >

Post #: 112
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 3:50:19 AM   
Abnormalmind

Hello everyone, turn 6 is done and off. Being that I'm the target, not a whole lot going on for the Allies except the usual "where to put my troops" paranoia. I think the area between Aachan and Malmedy is pretty secure now. I have rid myself of an annoying german armor unit that advanced too fast.

The horsehoe is a big concern and I'm closely monitoring it.

The battle for Bastogne is happening northeast from Clerf northwards. Larry's big panzers are pushing with great persistence, albeit slowly.

Luxembourg is a mess. The corp artillery arrived, which will slow Larry down considerably as the long range 155mm tubes are death. I'm not totally sure what I am going to do around Luxembourg. My gut instinct tells me to pull back behind the river, however I would lose a regiment or two in the retreat and there's nothing to replace them. I'll post some screen shots.

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 12/22/2009 5:19:52 AM >

Post #: 113
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 4:42:16 AM   
Abnormalmind

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 12/22/2009 5:34:00 AM >

Post #: 114
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 5:19:19 AM   
Abnormalmind

Deleted

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 12/22/2009 5:26:58 AM >

Post #: 115
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 5:33:01 AM   
Abnormalmind

This is really just turn 6

Post #: 116
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 6:06:25 AM   
Abnormalmind

Turn 6 End Losses

Larry is keeping his casualties a lot lower. I had quite a few destroyed units in the first four turns. Hopefully I can keep the attrition up. I don't start getting replacements for three more turns *ugh*

Post #: 117
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 6:47:32 AM   
Da_Huge_D

I love your maps. Nice graphics and texts.

Post #: 118
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 11:07:20 AM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie....Axis turn 7 is finished.  Patrick and I are in the grind phase where we attack each other back and forth and the gains each turn are minor if they occur at all.  But that's going to change when Patrick gets his planes.  They DO make a difference.  Then I'll start loosing big time.  Axis turn 7's AAR can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ukyjl1mzamd

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 119
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/22/2009 8:46:56 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys:

I came up with an idea that might help us play better games.  In August Fog only certain unit types can repair bridges and I don't always know where they are so instead of hunting for them I just made a map with colored squares around the hexes they live in.  Then I know which direction they need to move etc.  You can find an example of what I'm talking about at this url:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3mnzfa0mnw

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI