Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/8/2009 10:33:18 PM   
bstarr

I'm certainly interested, but . . .

Any chance of getting the scenarios in a zip file? My computer won't open an rar file.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 211
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/8/2009 10:42:00 PM   
JuanG

I'll upload all the files as .zip to the fileserver later tonight.

Sorry, I completely overlooked that little detail, as I'm used to .rar myself.

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 212
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/8/2009 11:23:38 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstarr

Any chance of getting the scenarios in a zip file? My computer won't open an rar file.

While I am sure that JuanG will post the zip files soon, if you want a nice free utility for unzipping a lot of different formats, including rar, try 7-zip. That's what I have been using to unzip his files.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 213
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/8/2009 11:26:21 PM   
bstarr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

While I am sure that JuanG will post the zip files soon, if you want a nice free utility for unzipping a lot of different formats, including rar, try 7-zip. That's what I have been using to unzip his files.

Oh, I don't know. I'm a computer idiot. I fear anything that isn't click and done and already installed.

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 214
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/8/2009 11:36:53 PM   
JuanG

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

Oh, I don't know. I'm a computer idiot. I fear anything that isn't click and done and already installed.

7-zip is good, so is just WinRaR - I use it handle both zip and rar files.

Ill have em posted up in a few minutes - check the first page.

They should be pretty easy to install - easiest method is to just grab the Complete pack plus the two art packs and unzip into AE folder.

The .zip files will be a little larger, as the compression isnt as good, but should still be manageable.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 10/8/2009 11:43:07 PM >

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 215
bb variant 6 cvl perseus - 10/11/2009 1:30:42 AM   
ggm

cvl perseus has no flight group juang. I googled her and she is a repletishment carrier. shouldn't she have an airgroup? not sure?

I like the changes you have made to stock.

ggm

< Message edited by ggm -- 10/12/2009 12:45:59 AM >

Alas, poor Yorick!--I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it.
William Shakespeare Hamlet

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 216
RE: bb variant 6 cvl perseus - 10/11/2009 1:50:34 AM   
JuanG

RN CVLs corrected to all arrive with airgroups - some had groups assigned but these had different arrival dates comapred to the CVLs themselves. The 3 CVLs affected by this arrive in '45 so its not gamebreaking.

Theres a couple of other bugs I've fixed for v7, still looking for more before I put another release out.

I'm also working on shifting some of the aircraft and airgroups around some more, particularly FAA, USN, USMC and IJN.

Im also going to be running some tests against CD guns to see if their performance is reasonable, and if not, to fix it.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 10/11/2009 1:56:28 AM >

(in reply to ggm)
Post #: 217
Major Error in v6 - 10/14/2009 11:36:09 PM   
JuanG

I've found a pretty major mistake in the datafiles for Scen 41 and Scen 42 version 6.

The naval gun changes were not being applied completely, especially the new accuracy changes for BB and CA guns. These were only included for the Lexington 16in, the new UK 15in, and the IJN Echizen 16in and Yamato 18in. This -will- skew naval combat pretty badly.

These numbers were however, correct for Scen 40.

I will be posting Version 7 tommorow, which will address this and the following issues;

-Improvements to CD guns following a series of tests against them
-Replaced IJN 15.5cm CD guns with new type IJN 14cm CD guns (15.5cm not developed in Scenario)
-Addition of a pair of ARs (follow on Akashi class) to the IJN, one completed, one due 43
-Reduction of Japanese Naval Shipyards (still higher than stock, but not as much)
-Changes to availability dates of most FAA aircraft (more available)

< Message edited by JuanG -- 10/14/2009 11:38:33 PM >

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 218
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/16/2009 4:40:47 AM   
JuanG

Version 7 is now out. This update affects everything except the Aircraft artwork and the Guadalcanal/Coral Sea scenarios.

Unless there are any serious bugs, this will be the final version until the release of the Enhanced BB Variant.

Ill be updating this post with some more information about the Enhanced Scenario in the following days.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 219
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/23/2009 4:48:55 PM   
Texas D

Is there any news on the CV scenarios?

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 220
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) - 10/23/2009 5:08:54 PM   
JuanG

My plan is to do the Enhanced BB Variant first, and then work on the CV Variant.

I hate to make promises about dates, as I then have to apologise as I almost inevitably underestimate how long itll take.

Nevertheless, it will probably be a week or so atleast until the Enhanced BB Variant, and another 2-3 weeks after that for the first of the CV Variants.

In the meantime, I might release a 'Heavy' BB Variant which will have the USN building the two South Dakota class BBs instead of the Lexington CCs.

(in reply to Texas D)
Post #: 221
Enhanced Details - 10/24/2009 5:36:38 PM   
JuanG

So, as the next in line is the Enhanced BB Variant, I thought I would explain the key changes in this scenario, that although minor on their own, add up to a pretty dangerous foe. Most of these changes are as a result of Japan spending the 38-41 period seriously preparing for a long war, and investing in technologies such as radar, AA weapons, ect.

Infantry Weapons
Around 43-44 will see the Japanese infantry forces issued with decent AT weaponry. While this wont put them on par with the allied troops in this regard, it will seriously improve their capabilities against tanks which until then (apart from the Engineer squads) is pretty much non-existant. Minor improvements to other weapons will also increase their soft attack values slightly.

Light AA Weapons
The Japanese have a variant of the 40mm Bofors in service at the start of the scenario in small numbers, designated the 40mm Type 99. This is normally found mounted in dual mounts on ships of CA or larger size.

The 25mm is still in service, but has been modified slightly from lessons learned from the Bofors which results in a slightly higher ROF. They are also only mounted in dual mounts, as the Japanese spotted several issues with their triple mountings.

Later into the war, the 40mm will become much more common, although the small ships (under CL) will only ever mount 25mm. The final year (Mid 45 - Mid 46) will see introduction of the 60mm Type 4 AA gun. This is based on a concept somewhat like the USNs 3in/70 RF, though somewhat smaller. This weapon also quickly finds itself in landbased installations.

Radar
The Japanese historically had the expertise to develop adequate radar systems in a reasonable timeframe, but not the resources or the desire to do so. Here they have both, and most Japanese ships will get AS Radars by early 42 (in non-enhanced this occurs in mid 43). SS Radar becomes available in late 42 (normally early 44), with the improved Type 31/32/33 SS and Type 14 AS (both normally mid 45) sets available in late 43. A final set of improved radar gear in early 45, with the Type 35/36 SS and Type 16 AS radars. Radar development is slower in the Army, but still accelerated compared to normal. Aircraft radar does not see major improvements until 43-44 where it very quickly becomes rather good.

Aircraft
Japanese aircraft development will be somewhat accelerated in this scenario, the main aircraft that come into service earlier being the D4Y Judy, the B6N Jill, the later A6M variants, the A7M Sam, the Ki-44 Tojo, the Ki-84 Frank, the Ki-67 Peggy and the Ki-83. Most of these will see service 2-4 months before the current dates.

Another key change is Japans ability to provide high octane fuel comparable to that of the allies to their airforce throughout the war. This results in about a 3-5% performance increase for all their aircraft across the board.

Pilots
The Japanese pilot training program is more robust than in the normal scenario, and while the initial pool of pilots is only slightly larger, the output of the program increases dramatically in 42 once the war starts. The quality of the pilots is also slightly better (5 points).

Additional Ships
The Japanese have two key programs in place compared to stock. The first is the Matsu DD/DE program, with the first ships arriving in mid 42. Their production is rather slow at first, until around mid 43 where production increases drastically.

The other is a dedicated shadow CVL program for several 'liner' hulls built in the years before the war, somewhat like the historical Hiyo/Junyo. While not comparable to the shadow programs in the CV Variant, this program does give the Japanese 6 good sized (20,000ton) CVLs, each capable of around 30 knots and carrying 40-60 aircraft. Two of these ships arrive early 42, and the remaining 4 through late 42 to mid 44.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 10/24/2009 5:48:19 PM >

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 222
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 4:16:10 AM   
derhexer

quote:

Latest version - v7 - 16th October 2009

Scenario 42 - Alternate WNT BB Variant;
RAR - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/8/1/2529503/Scen42v7.rar
ZIP - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/8/1/2529503/Z_Scen42v7.rar

Hope you can help. I downloaded teh zip file into the Scen folder inside my AE folder. I ap-plied WINRAR anmd split out som,e DAT files - wps042.dat, wpp042.dat ,Latest version - v7 - 16th October 2009

Scenario 42 - Alternate WNT BB Variant;
RAR - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/8/1/2529503/Scen42v7.rar
ZIP - http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/8/1/2529503/Z_Scen42v7.rar

Here are the files in my Scven folder
wps042.dat
wpp042.dat
wpl042.dat,
etc,
and art files

buy\t when I fire up AE, no new scenarios

Help??

Chrios

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 223
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 4:24:34 AM   
JuanG

Did you unzip/unrar it inside the SCEN folder? If you did, you should have a SCEN and ART folder inside the SCEN folder - the need to be moved to the main AE folder. You should always unzip/unrar into the main AE folder, and everything automatically will go where it is supposed to.

If this does not help, a screenshot of you SCEN folder would be very helpful.

(in reply to derhexer)
Post #: 224
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 10:17:59 AM   
moonraker65

You need to move everything in the "seperate" scen folder in to the main "Scen" folder in AE. The extra ship art should be unzipped in to the main "Art" folder in AE. Otherwise you won't see any of the scenarios or new art.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 225
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 3:11:19 PM   
Terminus

Question for Juan: have you considered perhaps adding some of the BB's the Dutch thought about building in the '10s and '20s?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 226
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 3:50:49 PM   
Akos Gergely

Hi Terminus!

Sorry for speaking in the name of Juan. Actually I'm planning to do a super BB mod based on his enhanced BB mod, and that's an option for it along with a lot of other BBs :)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 227
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/27/2009 4:17:02 PM   
Terminus

The Dutch BB's probably wouldn't have been worth much, being underarmoured and slow, but still...

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 228
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/28/2009 3:45:53 AM   
derhexer

quote:

Did you unzip/unrar it inside the SCEN folder? If you did, you should have a SCEN and ART folder inside the SCEN folder - the need to be moved to the main AE folder. You should always unzip/unrar into the main AE folder, and everything automatically will go where it is supposed to.

If this does not help, a screenshot of you SCEN folder would be very helpful.

The CTRL-Prtsqn doesn't seem to work, so in my SCEN folder are files like
wps042.dat
wpp042.dta
wpl042.dat
etc.
all the files that went into SCEN\SCEN are now in \SCEN

The Art files are in \ART
Yet, your '42 scenarios don't show up when I select a scenario, even when I scan down the whole list

So, any advice?

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 229
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/28/2009 11:20:46 AM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Dutch BB's probably wouldn't have been worth much, being underarmoured and slow, but still...

Do you mean the intended Scharnhorst copies or the earlier models intended in the 20th?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 230
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 10/28/2009 11:26:33 AM   
Terminus

Like I said, the earlier ones.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 231
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 11/7/2009 3:02:12 PM   
traskott

A question.. The AI is ready for been used in a GC ? ( IA works ? )

Thank you!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 232
RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v7 Released - BB Variant) - 11/20/2009 3:54:58 PM   
Historiker

Juan,
I have the Washington Treaty on the table in front of me.
o.V.: Conference on the Limitations of Armaments. Wahsington November 12, 1921 - February 6, 1922, Washington 1922. Page 1600:

quote:

"Part 4:
An aircraft carrier is defined as a vessel of war with a displacement in excess of 10.000ts standard displacement designed for the specific and exclusive purpose of carrying aircraft. It must be so constructed that aircraft can be launched therefrom and landed thereon and not designed and constructed for carrying a more powerful armament than that allowed to it under Article IX or Article X as the case may be. (...)"

So if you intend to make Japan stronger in the CV versions, you have some possibilities that aren't even totally unhistoric.

If Japan build an aircraft carrier including the flight deck, hangars, elevators and island - and simply puts a storage for supplies on the aft half of the flight deck, it isn't an aircraft carrier. It can be rated as aircraft transport and no one has to be telled how fast it really is - Chitose and Chiyoda were officially much slower than they really were.
As planes can't land it doesn't fall under the rules of Washington, especially if it is unarmed. But there's no restriction that the supply storage musn't be removed afterwards or that its hull is prepared for additional guns up to 6in. It was allowed to construct merchant ships in a way (strenghening the deck) they can carry guns up to 6in.

So if you want Japan to be stronger, you have quite a few additional options, especially as these ships have no limit in displacements.
Carriers below 10.000ts don't count as carriers as well, Ryuju was initially planned to be below this 10.000ts. So additional small carriers are also only limited by shipyard output between 1923 and 1936. Of course, if Japan already has some of these in 1930, it's most likeley London 1930 would limit them, too.

< Message edited by Historiker -- 11/20/2009 3:57:50 PM >

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 233
Patch 2 and the Future for AltWNT - 12/9/2009 5:48:35 PM   
JuanG

Just an updates on things now that patch 2 is out.

-Because of the new changes to naval devices included in patch 2, I've found that as these address several (with a few exceptions) of the issues I myself had with the values, I will be discontinuing Scenarios 40 and 41. This will allow me to keep my attention on the real focus of this mod; the BB, CV and the new joint-scenario I'm working on with csatahajos.

-The plan is to have v10 out within a week, two at most, and this will include a new version of BB variant, AND the Enhanced BB variant.

-After that, focus is first on csatahajos super-BB variant, and then the CV variant.

There will be changes to the scenario line up, which will be as follows from now on;

40 - Lite Adaption (discontinued)
41 - Full Adaption (discontinued)
42 - BB Variant
43 - Enhanced BB Variant
44 - Super BB Variant
45 - CV Variant
46 - Enhanced CV Variant

Juan

< Message edited by JuanG -- 12/9/2009 10:41:08 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 234
RE: Patch 2 and the Future for AltWNT - 12/9/2009 8:33:14 PM   
moonraker65

Looking forward to the CV Variants Juan.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 235
RE: Patch 2 and the Future for AltWNT - 12/9/2009 9:09:20 PM   
Texas D

Ditto

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 236
RE: Further WNT Naval Changes - 12/17/2009 10:44:13 AM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: JuanG

The CV Variant is based on the premise of what if the IJN in the early 30s saw a radical shift in thinking, and their doctrine moved away from a attritive night action followed by a decisive battle, to a doctrine based on atrrition through carriers and fast surface forces. The importance of night combat is not forgotten, as these forces are vulnerable at night, but it is not as important as historically, and the IJN still prides itself on its skill at nightfighting (aka I had to think up a reason for this cause I cant get rid of the XP bonus).

A belated comment: you need look no further than RL for this one. Surely, if IJN had a revolutionaty realization about the power of naval planes, the necessity to adapt the surface forces for action during nighttime, for theatres when enemy might have air superiority, would have been very logical. In fact, more effort could have been put in adapting their surface forces for night action, such as trying to replace 127/50 with a gun that has less power but can fire faster, and is overall better as a DP gun.

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 237
RE: Further WNT Naval Changes - 12/17/2009 10:54:03 AM   
FatR

Overall, thanks for the mod. It certainly looks interesting, and I might try to play the BB variant against AI as Japanese, if I tire of my current stock campaign (I whipped Allied AI too hard by exploiting its scripted reactions and suicidal carrier raids, and stripped myself of challenge until late 1943 at least ).

< Message edited by FatR -- 12/17/2009 11:26:32 AM >

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 238
RE: Enhanced Details - 12/17/2009 11:24:31 AM   
FatR

quote:

Light AA Weapons
The Japanese have a variant of the 40mm Bofors in service at the start of the scenario in small numbers, designated the 40mm Type 99. This is normally found mounted in dual mounts on ships of CA or larger size.

I, personally, have many doubts about Japanese ability to make something of decent quality and in decent numbers out of Bofors without a total magical upgrade of their armament industry. This is based on Sovier experience with Bofors clones, which were passable for ground-based AA, but inadequate for naval needs, and also very hard to build in numbers. But again, this is an enhanced mod...

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 239
RE: Enhanced Details - 12/22/2009 11:06:50 AM   
JuanG

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

Light AA Weapons

I, personally, have many doubts about Japanese ability to make something of decent quality and in decent numbers out of Bofors without a total magical upgrade of their armament industry. This is based on Sovier experience with Bofors clones, which were passable for ground-based AA, but inadequate for naval needs, and also very hard to build in numbers. But again, this is an enhanced mod...

It is, and you must remember Japan in general in these scenarios, not only Enhanced, has a superior industrial capacity to its original timeline equivalent owning partly to luck (no earthquake!) and partly to smarter decisions by the leadership.

I was torn about the choice of 40mm too personally, and considered something like a development on the 37mm german guns too. However, the availability of adequate (though not equal to allied) AA should make the late game much more interesting...

On that note, I've just finished work on Enhanced BB Variant, and should have v10 of both that and standard BB Variant out by tonight.

Next up will be both the semi-fantasy 'Super BB Mod' I've been working on with csatahajos, and also an AI-Friendly version of the BB Variant and Enhanced BB Variant that will give the AI a better chance. (Since it does not currently do things like conversions!)

< Message edited by JuanG -- 12/22/2009 11:08:21 AM >

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Alternate WNT Scenarios (v6 Released - BB Variant) Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI