Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The “next” in the “series”.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The “next” in the “series”. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 12:54:37 AM   
Fred98

As mentioned in another thread, the next game might be titled “War in the West”. The 2 main scenarios would be titled “1940” and “1944”.

Smaller scenarios might be titled “Drive on Dunkirk” and “Drive on Antwerp”.

Following that game’s great success, War in the Mediterraneam would follow.

Here we would need to combine the land warfare model of War in the East with the naval warfare model of Uncommon Valour.

The Grand Campaign: From June 1940 and the Italian invasion of France to the fall of Rome.

Other scenarios would have shorter time periods and be restricted to certain portions of the map.

-

Post #: 1
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 1:01:34 AM   
runyan99

Is a west front game fact or speculation?

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 2
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 1:05:09 AM   
elmo3

If you hear it from 2by3 or Matrix then it's fact.  Otherwise it's just smoke.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 3
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 2:03:24 AM   
PyleDriver

As Lee said its just hope...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 7:55:33 AM   
Marc von Martial

You all can highly influence this by purchasing WITE when it is out

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 5
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 2:33:29 PM   
MengCiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

As mentioned in another thread, the next game might be titled “War in the West”. The 2 main scenarios would be titled “1940” and “1944”.

Smaller scenarios might be titled “Drive on Dunkirk” and “Drive on Antwerp”.

Following that game’s great success, War in the Mediterraneam would follow.

Here we would need to combine the land warfare model of War in the East with the naval warfare model of Uncommon Valour.

The Grand Campaign: From June 1940 and the Italian invasion of France to the fall of Rome.

Other scenarios would have shorter time periods and be restricted to certain portions of the map.

-

It would be cool if Norm Kroger and Grigsby joined up to do a Leningrad-baltic 1940-1943 game. For example, with Norm's ship modelling you could have those battles on the lakes where sail-powered Russian iceboats with 45mm AT guns clobbered those airplane-engined German ice-barges.

The corpus of a thousand battles rises from the flood.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 3:48:59 PM   
itsjustme

Not interested in the other theaters as standalone products.   I want the entire european, including russia, and the med theaters in one game or as an add-on/upgrade to WITE.  You could have smaller theaters as scenarios.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 7
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 5:11:33 PM   
vinnie71

Lol! This game isn't finished yet and we're already asking for more!

Hehe how about asking the developers if Yugoslavia gets included as well in this game? Its on the map already and developments there had a direct connection with the eastern front. When the latter was quite, the Germans released forces to fight the partisans. Also a lot of units were involved from many states. Admittidely its a nightmare to portray the war there - the local states and factions, the Italian garrisons, Bulgarian units in the south and the creation of a partisan army which had both regular and irregular elements in it (Tito was one hell of an organiser). It is a war in itself and it could easily syphon off some of the strength of the Axis if a player decides to finish off the partisans....

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 8
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 8:40:13 PM   
PyleDriver

Well I think all of us would love the entire "War in Europe". However how many years do you want them to work without pay? So one step at a time is fine with me...Theres plenty going on in the west to make it fun. Norway, France, Battle of Britian, Battle for the Atlantic, North Africa and so much more...Also, thanks to advancement in computers, this game is possiable. In 5 years we my have a PC to handle what will be needed for the "War in Europe". Without drag time...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 9
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 10:31:32 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Well I think all of us would love the entire "War in Europe".

I am currently playing War in Europe by Decision Games. Some screen shots follow.

This is a good game!

A demo of the game can be downloaded. The demo includes the full manual.

http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm

The game has that board game look and feel but it is not as board gamey as the screen shots make out.

The game has no AI. it is played by PBEM. You ca have up to 3 players: Axis, Allies and Russians.

The game has a series of Scenarios and Campaigns.

The Scenarios and Campaigns are set in various places across the map and in various weather conditions

The difference between Scenarios and Campaigns is that Campaigns include production

The first screeny is from the Russian front

The boot of Italy.

The English channel

The final screen shot shows how tactical air warfare is resolved.

The player has a choice as to where he can move his available air points. The choices are:

Air Superiority
Ground Support
Air Sea interdiction
Transfer the points to another front

-

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 10
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/22/2009 10:40:37 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: itsjustme

Not interested in the other theaters as standalone products.   I want the entire european, including russia, and the med theaters in one game or as an add-on/upgrade to WITE.  You could have smaller theaters as scenarios.

Ok, send us a cashier's check for $1,000,000, and we'll deliver you a great game in about 3-6 years. It might be a little buggy, but you'll never get far enough into it to run into most of the bugs.

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 11
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/23/2009 4:37:13 AM   
kfmiller41

Good response IMHO considering the number of games like that that have actually been made for computers that have an AI. I believe that would be zero. Keep doing what your doing, just having WITP (which i have played many years on) I am sure this one will be just as good, I may be dead before I ever finish it but i will have a blast trying

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 12
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/24/2009 8:53:37 AM   
itsjustme

Gee Joel, you guys did WitP and it covers far more of the earth's surface than a war in Europe game would cover and it appears to be matrix's best selling game and inspired a group to spend several years upgrading it to be "more" complex. Having played several WitP games to conclusion, the scale and time frame don't bother me at all and given that it is the most active forum on the boards doesn't appear to bother the other owners.

Admittedly you guys know better than me whether WItP was profitable, but it is easily the best game Gary has ever done and it covers an entire theater larger than euope.

Not trying to pick a fight, just saying.

Post #: 13
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/24/2009 8:55:30 AM   
itsjustme

Joe98

thanks for this heads up. I am moving to download this asap and will be looking for a pbem opponent shortly.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 14
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/25/2009 3:26:12 AM   
Joel Billings

Yes, WitP is a heck of a game, and it took about 4 years to develop, considering the time that went into UV before WitP. That's just for the original WitP and does not include the added years to build WitP AE. And let's face it, it does not have a land game that would be suitable for a theater of war that was dominated by major land warfare. Also, as soon as you start talking about Europe, you're talking about all kinds of politics and special rules regarding various countries. The Pacific didn't have that issue. Of course a War in the West/War in Europe game is doable, but it won't be easy (neither was WitP or WitE), and it won't come quickly. War in the East is a land centric system which is appropriate for the Russian Front. A full west front game would need to be much more than that. Merging the air/naval centric WitP system with a land centric system in WitE would require a lot of design and coding work. One is a plot/WEGO system and the other an IGOUGO system. We would like to get to a War in the West/War in Europe game someday, but just as WitP required UV, we think that War in the West will require several other games first before we are able to bring it all together. It to early to say whether WitW/WiE is a bridge to far, but for now we're not going to try to take all those bridges at once.

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 15
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/25/2009 4:14:56 AM   
PyleDriver

Wow, I guess my cry for more in the west is being heard...Yes "France 40" changed my wargaming experence some 30 years ago. So yes, that would be a great steping stone. Maybe a Norway, Denmark, Low Countries, France, would be a nice start...Oh I guess you could throw in Sea Lion...That will get us wanting more...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

Post #: 16
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/25/2009 2:33:10 PM   
PyleDriver

Hum...I was just thinking most of you, besides us testers haven't got a clue how good WitE is. I am so hungry for more. As Patton said about war "God help me, I love it more than life". So for us die hards, I know your out there, when you get this keep supporting the great work 2by3 and Matrix does for our addiction...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 17
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/28/2009 11:19:11 AM   
Kesselring

I bet the next game in the series is "War in the East: General (or Field Marshal) Edition."

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 18
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/28/2009 3:30:45 PM   
Helpless

WITE FE - Feldwebel Edition

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Kesselring)
Post #: 19
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/28/2009 9:22:10 PM   
jaw

Been there, done that.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 20
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 12/30/2009 2:05:44 AM   
Ecca

I can´t wait to play WitE but ever since I first bought WIR many years ago my dream game has been a Gary Grigsby War in Europe. Unfortunately, this dream doesn´t seem to come true in the foreseeable future - if at all. I think that one of the main reasons for this is that these games are way too cheap! I mean paying something like $50 for a game like this that is almost certain to provide you with hundreds of hours of enjoyment doesn´t feel right. Especially if paying more would make a WiE more likely.

I have a suggestion: when you release WitE, charge an initial price of, let´s say $500. Then gradually lower the price during the course of a year until it reaches a "normal" price. I, for one, would still not hesitate to buy it on the day of release and I´m sure there are many others like me.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 21
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 1/2/2010 9:19:43 PM   
SNorth

I am a novelist in my free time, so WitE will be a major setback for my writing. I am excited just contemplating the release of WitE, and I have shared the news with my longtime friend/nemesis in wargaming. That being said, I would love an African campaign done with this engine, that could effect events in WitE. What happens if the Axis takes Malta, and succeeds in Africa? How does that effect the War in the East?

I'm just dreaming. Probably should just write my own alternative history novel of such things taking place, and be happy to have the prospect of WitE on my computer in the future.

Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.
Dag Hammarskjold

(in reply to Ecca)
Post #: 22
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 1/3/2010 12:09:45 AM   
SeaMonkey

I'll second that request Stephen, but something along the lines as SPI's PanzerArmee Afrika, highly fluid, but in addition the whole of the eastern Med naval and air game.

I'm talking an active Malta, Crete, and Sicily, convoys and airborne operations, like "what if" the Germans decide to attack Malta first like Jodl wanted and leave Crete alone for later. Maybe no Barbarossa and then a MidEast venture through the Greece, Crete, Rhodes, Cyprus logistical lifeline into Syria taking the Suez from the backdoor.

(in reply to SNorth)
Post #: 23
RE: The “next” in the “series”. - 2/2/2010 1:49:48 PM   
markvacc1

Is there a limit to this demo? I downloaded it, but seem to be able to play more than just the demo scenario. It's as tho I got the whole game except for the manual. What am I missing?

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The “next” in the “series”. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI