Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Royal Thai Army

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Royal Thai Army Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 8:01:54 PM   
CapAndGown

I know it is fairly standard practice to have a house rule about paying PP for moving restricted units outside their designated area (Kwantung army unit must remain in Manchuria unless PP are paid). What about the RTA? Should that be allowed outside Thailand under any circumstances? Also, is the Korea Area Army Japanese or Korean?
Post #: 1
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 8:09:52 PM   
Andy Mac

Thais should not leave Thailand.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 2
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 8:30:03 PM   
Marty A

rta did move outside thailand. most people use 3 hex rule i think.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 3
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 8:47:25 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marty A

rta did move outside thailand. most people use 3 hex rule i think.

But not very far..., and only to garrison areas of Burma claimed by the Thais.

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 4
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 8:49:32 PM   
Andy Mac

Personally I wouldnt have a problem with them operating up to about Tavoy in Burma and down to VP

maybe as far as Hanoi in the East but thats about it

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 5
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/26/2009 10:21:02 PM   
Feltan

I have no problem with them being used as garrison forces in Burma. On the other hand, to use them as assault troops for an early Burma offensive seems to stretch reality too far.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 6
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 1:22:35 AM   
Marty A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Personally I wouldnt have a problem with them operating up to about Tavoy in Burma and down to VP

Then why you put in game if not to use? all they good for is garrison. they can not attack or defend except against weak unit. eliminate rta and thailand garrison. less than 5% of people cry over this i think.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 7
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 4:09:26 AM   
Fishbed

Because Thailand has to be able to defend itself if the British come for it...

And don't underestimate the crying-potential of "less than 5% of people" on these boards

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 8
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 12:01:18 PM   
Andy Mac

Marty the editor is there for you to use please feel free to delete them.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 9
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 3:37:40 PM   
Blackhorse

Historically, the Thai army only entered the Shan States region of Burma -- an area without bases on the AE map. The Thai forces skirmished with one Chinese Division, and eventually signed an armistice with the Chinese Division Commander (!).

The march into Burma was a political move by the (pro-Japanese) head of the Thai government, to strengthen his shaky hold on the government. It didn't work. As soon as it baecame clear that Japan was not going to win the war, he was overthrown.

FWIW, the Japanese opposed the Thai invasion of Burma - since letting the Thais carve out a piece of Burma complicated the Japanese message that they came to liberate Burma from the British.

IMHO, under no circumstances would the Thai forces have been committed to fight against the British. The Thais had no interest in fighting them along the Rangoon-Mandalay axis when the Japanese were advancing. And by the time the British were strong enough to fight their way into Thailand, the Thai regime would be pro-Allied, and welcome them in.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 4:09:02 PM   
Shark7

If you want to be completely technical, the RTA Phayap (Northern) Army would march into the Shan States of Burma starting May 10, 1942. The problem with this is that none of the Shan States are represented by bases in the game. Their main target was Keng Tung which they occupied before pushing against the Chinese border in 1943. By 1944 they had a cease fire with the Chinese, and by 1945 they were basically out of the Shan States and no longer participating in the war...

That is the quick synopsis of it anyway.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 11
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 4:20:44 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

If you want to be completely technical, the RTA Phayap (Northern) Army would march into the Shan States of Burma starting May 10, 1942. The problem with this is that none of the Shan States are represented by bases in the game. Their main target was Keng Tung which they occupied before pushing against the Chinese border in 1943. By 1944 they had a cease fire with the Chinese, and by 1945 they were basically out of the Shan States and no longer participating in the war...

Hmm, so my plan of using the Thai army to invade Alaska seems to be a tad ahistorical ?

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 8:02:50 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

Hmm, so my plan of using the Thai army to invade Alaska seems to be a tad ahistorical ?

Oh you know, just a little...

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 13
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 8:03:43 PM   
Marty A

quote:

i use 3 hex rule. i ask YOU why YOU do not delete if YOU do not think they should be in there. why you ask me do delete?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 14
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 8:10:43 PM   
Andy Mac

Because it doesnt bug me at all that the Thais are in the game if for no other reason than to stop gamey para attacks by Allied forces and even a modicum of sense by players you seemed all hot and bothered about it so theres the editor feel free to delete them for your own games I am happy with them being in

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 15
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 8:33:14 PM   
JWE

quote:

i use 3 hex rule. i ask YOU why YOU do not delete if YOU do not think they should be in there. why you ask me do delete?

Because AndyMac is defining a game for more people than just YOU. If YOU have an issue with things, then YOU can change them.

The editor is there for YOU to change things to conform with YOUR view of reality. YOU are not the only player we have to accommodate.

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 16
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 10:00:46 PM   
romanovich

I don't particularly like YOU telling Andy to delete something I like about this game. The rich detail is neat, and I like playing a GAME (which implies possible variances to the historical outcomes from the scenarios modeled), as opposed to running reinactments of known (and boring) historical outcomes. Dumb down your AE all you want; leave the great AE to people who appreciate how to best use it.

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 17
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 10:30:59 PM   
oldman45

You need to keep the RTA in so the RIA/RAF/10th AF has something to bomb

(in reply to romanovich)
Post #: 18
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/27/2009 11:10:21 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: romanovich

I don't particularly like YOU telling Andy to delete something I like about this game. The rich detail is neat, and I like playing a GAME (which implies possible variances to the historical outcomes from the scenarios modeled), as opposed to running reinactments of known (and boring) historical outcomes. Dumb down your AE all you want; leave the great AE to people who appreciate how to best use it.

TBH, I made a mod that added in the rest of the RTA, the RTAF, and the RTN, then put in the cities of the Shan States to invade with all those extra units. Not every player wants just the vanilla, hence the editor.

PS: Hawk II and Hawk III squadrons versus the AVG = very bad slaughter of the old biplanes.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to romanovich)
Post #: 19
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/28/2009 12:59:30 AM   
oldman45

quote:

TBH, I made a mod that added in the rest of the RTA, the RTAF, and the RTN, then put in the cities of the Shan States to invade with all those extra units. Not every player wants just the vanilla, hence the editor.

PS: Hawk II and Hawk III squadrons versus the AVG = very bad slaughter of the old biplanes.

I am surprised the Japs didn't give them any of their Claudes or Nates.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/28/2009 1:44:03 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

quote:

Now I think YOU are on the right track to become a Witp forum Meme. That's the price YOU pay for being nasty with Mac, YOU hear me?

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 21
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/28/2009 2:23:32 AM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

quote:

Then why you put in game if not to use? all they good for is garrison. they can not attack or defend except against weak unit. eliminate rta and thailand garrison. less than 5% of people cry over this i think.

Marty, Marty!

The Thais' are felow members of the Greater East Asia Co - Prosperity Sphere! As a Japanese Player, I feel compelled to speak on their behalf. Yes, the RTA start out poorly trained and armed, but given time, training and, perhaps, combat (with HIJM's battle hardened troops alongside to hold their fellow Asians hands) the RTA will grow into the full bloom of their potential. While not necessarily top combat troops (forgive me, my Thai Brothers), once trained and experienced they can help garrison the vast lands and numerous peoples who are fortunate enough to enjoy HIJM's reign. Does not our Emperor's Wisdom and His choice of "Showa" - "Enlightened Peace" bring Joy and Pride to all the oppressed masses of Asia?

Humbly submitted

MacSan
P.S. - please count me as one of the "five percent"......

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 22
RE: Royal Thai Army - 12/28/2009 3:16:50 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: romanovich

They did eventually give them a few Nates, Oscars, Anns and Sally's, but the RTAF ended the war with a large number of Hawk IIIs and V-93S Corsairs still in service. The best planes Thailand had available to them were 18 Hawk 75N's, of which most were destoyed on the opening day of the war fighting against the Japanese.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Royal Thai Army Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI