Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

subs and mine hits

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> subs and mine hits Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
subs and mine hits - 1/3/2010 7:06:28 AM   
bklooste

A number of times a sub has hit a mine but most of the time the sub still comes home, is this historical , I would have thought a vessel like a sub getting hit by a mine would be 90% fatal ?

Underdog Fanboy
Post #: 1
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/3/2010 10:01:55 AM   
Sardaukar

I sent Argonaut to mine Truk, it did hit mine, but came back. I repaired her and sent her again to mine Truk, hit mine again, didn't come back...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 2
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/3/2010 12:11:35 PM   
John Lansford

Historically submariners were terrified of mines, because one hit was more than enough to destroy a sub.  Late in the war the USN introduced a mine detecting sonar and sent subs out on minefield recon missions.  The submariners hated these missions, since it meant they had to actively go looking for a mine rather than stay away from them; the sonar rang a bell when it detected a mine, which they nicknamed "hells bells".

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 3
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/3/2010 1:48:06 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bklooste

A number of times a sub has hit a mine but most of the time the sub still comes home, is this historical , I would have thought a vessel like a sub getting hit by a mine would be 90% fatal ?

My understanding is that hitting a mine was a near 100% fatality. Many of the U.S. subs accounted for as "missing in action" were chalked up to mine hits -- no time to radio position or status; no survivors.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 4
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/4/2010 1:54:23 PM   
bklooste

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

My understanding is that hitting a mine was a near 100% fatality. Many of the U.S. subs accounted for as "missing in action" were chalked up to mine hits -- no time to radio position or status; no survivors.

Regards,
Feltan

I agree i think Subs seem to get some resistance to depth charges (which is good) and this also "seems" to count vs mines and other effects. IMHO if a sub hits a mine or to a lesser extent gets hits with a 250kg+ bomb or a few 6"+ shells it is very unlikely to make it home unless its very close. In one game a few subs in Manilla got hit with an 800kg AP shell and survived also - ok hitting is going to be hard but if it hits there will be a huge 10m hole in the bottom where the shell will detonate. Though you could chalk these up to near misses you couldnt for the mines.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 5
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/4/2010 2:54:31 PM   
Q-Ball

I have found that although they are not 100% fatal, a mine hit will sink one of my subs about 50% of the time, maybe a bit more. They hurt!

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 6
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/4/2010 3:55:19 PM   
DBF

It was very rare for a sub to survive a mine hit in WWII. Many of the unknown losses are thought to be due to mines. Most were lost with all hands. The few where there were crew that got off, they were on the surface at the time and mostly the bridge crew were the only ones off the boat. See histrory on Flier. The Bergell survived a proximity-fuzed mine with damage. I think a contact mine vs sub is a sunk sub.

"hell with the women and children, go for the tonnage" TM1/SS

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 7
RE: subs and mine hits - 1/4/2010 5:31:34 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

No USSHenrico or Crimguy....

This isn't my experience in the game. My submarine fatality rate is 100.0% when hitting a mine thus far. This is with 5 subs (2 in one PBEM, 3 in another) that 'reacted' into Singapore's minefield on turn 1. Ouch.

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> subs and mine hits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI