Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/27/2009 9:24:32 PM   
Abnormalmind

The entire 9th SS Panzer Division "Hohesnt" is on the tail of the 12th Volksgrenedier Division that has cleared the path to Bastogne through Clerf. The 12th has done remarkably well on its own. There is only so much room on these tight roads. It's time for the 9th SS to take the lead.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 151
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/28/2009 2:42:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

There's nothing left to keep the Germans out of Bastogne. So he's captured it, almost. Gavin and his 82nd and Taylor and his 101st are almost there too. It's going to be interesting. Patrick is making great gains in the deep south and Sedan looks naked to his assault. I'm blowing bridges and falling back in some places and standing fast in some other places and it's looking like Patrick is going to be in Antwerp in another 10 turns. LOL. Turn 4's AAR can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn4

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 152
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/28/2009 9:10:36 AM   
Abnormalmind

End turn 5 Axis

So Larry scrounged up a few units and put them in the path to Bastogne. Which means, his paratroopers will be in placed this turn. ugh!I Many need that Volksgrenedier Division after all.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 153
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/28/2009 9:15:45 AM   
Abnormalmind

Northest of Malmedy: Axis turn 5 End

My quick advance created some sizable pockets. Now I have to deal with these large pockets. Most of the corp artillery was destroyed, except for a few long range tubes. It's nice, because they will no longer fire on my guys!

There's a US supply depot that I've been playing PingPong with. It's the circle underneath the supply depot. In that stack, there's a US supply depot with lots of fuel and goodies. UNFORTUNATELY, my supporting volkdgrenedier division went into re-org and that stopped the encirclement. I hope he does not have an engineer nearby to rescue the supply depot. *ugh*

Post #: 154
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/28/2009 3:03:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

Patrick is winning everywhere all over the entire map.  At least that's the way it seems.  WHAT A COOL GAME.  I didn't know the Axis could do that.  Patrick is a good player and it shows.  I'm going to get some reinforcements soon.  'Cause if I don't I'll lose the deep south and the horseshoe area and who knows what else.  Turn 5 is finished.  The AAR can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn5

Post #: 155
Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 3:10:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

Open letter to Ralph:

Hey Ralph:
First of all, thanks for all your hard work. We DO appreciate it. Really. I'm wondering if it would be a hard change to get TOAW to display in a new panel how many of each type was lost during what turn. Take a peek at the picture to surmise what I'm saying. Maybe in some future version? The picture is the Allied losses as of turn 6.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 156
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 3:47:12 AM   
Abnormalmind

Yes yes yes! Larry's side by side comparisons are very nice, indeed! Now we need a statistician and mathematician to analyze these numbers

Btw, why do our formations lose so many mortar teams? 80mm+ mortars are usually well behind the action. Oh well, just curious, which often gets me into some sort of trouble. *lol*

Post #: 157
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 4:09:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

I did some counterattacking this turn and to my surprise I opened some holes in his lines in the middle of the map!  I didn't know I could do that.  So I guess I should start my push to the Rhine river now.  LOL.  The turn 6 AAR can be found here:   http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn6

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/29/2009 10:11:38 AM >

Post #: 158
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 9:43:50 AM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I'm wondering if it would be a hard change to get TOAW to display in a new panel how many of each type was lost during what turn.

Does any of that information appear in the logfiles that TOAW can be set to generate? If so, I could maybe knock something up that does the job. Won't be straight away because I'm still testing my OOB editor and nearly a week after Steve sent me a copy of Autumn Fog, I've only just managed to find time to start it this morning.

Post #: 159
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 10:16:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: parmenio
Does any of that information appear in the logfiles that TOAW can be set to generate?

Here's the contents of a sitrep_log01.txt file:

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 61,32
Allies approximate equipment and personnel losses - 1%
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 9%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 54,10
Allies approximate equipment and personnel losses - 3%
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 6%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 46,9
Allies approximate equipment and personnel losses - 0%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 61,33
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 7%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 60,35
Allies approximate equipment and personnel losses - 2%
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 3%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 61,30
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 16%

Allies Turn 15 Battle at 55,11
Germans approximate equipment and personnel losses - 22%

So I guess the answer is no for this particular file. There must be a file that has those numbers in it however since the numbers are carried forward from turn to turn in our PBEM files we send to each other.
Note to Patrick: I'd be curious to know what the Axis losses are right about now. Must be pretty high.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 160
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 10:39:01 AM   
larryfulkerson

My lines are holding pretty good in the middle.  But the rest of the map is a disaster.  Patrick is blowing
holes in my lines and advancing lickty split.  The south is wide open and German units are advancing
unapposed.  Allied units are being surrounded and destroyed faster than I can report it.  Quick, somebody call
Eisenhower at SHAFE.  Turn 7's AAR can be found here:  http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn7

Here's the minimap moves movie from turns 1 throu 6:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/29/2009 10:42:01 AM >

Post #: 161
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 4:15:04 PM   
Josh

That's "SHAEF" Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force.
Yeah I called Ike, he said you're no longer a FIVE star general but a FOUR star general, that one star goes to me.
(how many stars can a general have anyways...?)

Thanks for the AAR mr. Fulkerson.

Post #: 162
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 4:23:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

Are the AARs I publish better than posting pictures here on the forum?  I can't decide.  Pictures on the forum are cool but you can't post big ones and I LOVE big pictures, especially those in motion.  And I'm guessing that it doesn't take all that long to download them and view them at your leisure.   I'm guessing that there's only two people viewing those things but Steve likes them so I'll keep doing it.  Hey turn 8 of August Fog IV is finished and the AAR  can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn8

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 163
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 4:36:17 PM   
Karri

quote:

Are the AARs I publish better than posting pictures here on the forum?  I can't decide.  Pictures on the forum are cool but you can't post big ones and I LOVE big pictures, especially those in motion.  And I'm guessing that it doesn't take all that long to download them and view them at your leisure.   I'm guessing that there's only two people viewing those things but Steve likes them so I'll keep doing it.  Hey turn 8 of August Fog IV is finished and the AAR  can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn8

I read forums AARs but don't download the stuff...

Post #: 164
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 4:48:39 PM   
Josh

Concerning your question, which is better, in my opinion both ways are great. Yes the files are big, so you can download and view them at your leisure, outstanding to gaze at a large map... but I have my doubts as to how many AAR readers actually will do that. If you post them here I think it'll create more hits on the AAR. Check out this outstanding German TOAW III AAR for instance: http://www.si-games.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17984&page=50 (it *is* stickied for a reason, the AAR is so good it is selling the game to the German readers there they want to play the game they're reading about). Matter of fact, yours is so good I'm getting the game too. Played TOAW I .... a decade ago or so, never got much into it. But reading your AAR is .. compelling. And since War in the East and World in Flames won't be out for a while I think I just might pick up this one once again.

Post #: 165
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 5:51:40 PM   
parmenio

quote:

I'm guessing that there's only two people viewing those things but Steve likes them so I'll keep doing it. 

Well, you can include me in the group, so maybe that's three of us....

Post #: 166
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 6:47:13 PM   
Qbec

I'm the fourth....

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 167
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/29/2009 8:44:36 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qbec

I'm the fourth....

one more and we'll be a crowd

(in reply to Qbec)
Post #: 168
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/30/2009 4:56:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Open letter to Ralph:

Hey Ralph:
First of all, thanks for all your hard work. We DO appreciate it. Really. I'm wondering if it would be a hard change to get TOAW to display in a new panel how many of each type was lost during what turn. Take a peek at the picture to surmise what I'm saying. Maybe in some future version? The picture is the Allied losses as of turn 6.

For 1,000 turns? I guess there could be a scroll bar. But sounds to me like it would be a hard change.

Post #: 169
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/30/2009 6:48:31 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh
Concerning your question, which is better, in my opinion both ways are great.

Works for me.
quote:

...outstanding to gaze at a large map...

I think so too.
quote:

If you post them here I think it'll create more hits on the AAR.

Good idea. D21's AAR files:
turn 1:http://www.filedropper.com/d2122dec2009turn1
turn 2:http://www.filedropper.com/d2122dec2009turn2
turn 3:http://www.filedropper.com/d2122dec2009turn3
turn 4:http://www.mediafire.com/?nmgudmamzdi
turn 5:http://www.filedropper.com/d2122dec2009turn5

August Fog's AAR is found in this thread.
quote:

Matter of fact, yours [AAR] is so good I'm getting the game too. ...reading your AAR is .. compelling.

Good for you. TOAW is all I play any more. I take a month off after a monster scenaro PBEM game but I always come back.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 12/30/2009 6:49:43 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 170
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 12/30/2009 6:58:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
For 1,000 turns? I guess there could be a scroll bar. But sounds to me like it would be a hard change.

I'm a retired computer programmer and I have several ideas that might make it work. Yes the data would have to be kept from turn to turn but it could be stored in a file, for instance. I've been moving the individual values by hand using MSpaint and it's sorta labor intensive but can be done. I'm thinking that TOAW can just read the external file and display the data in a new panel....would take about 1/20th of a second to do that.

The coding to do that would have to read the file and decide when to start a new row, discriminating on the type of equipment ( if it's the same type of equipment as the last value just stay on 'this' row, different type of equipment: start a new row ). At the end of the file you're done, close the external file. The external file would be updated from turn to turn as new data is available to do so. I would write the program myself ( an external program, different from TOAW ) if only I knew where the data is kept in the sal / pbl files. It's probably zipped up but that's just another step to unzip it.

Thanks for your input and your hard work and keep those good ideas coming.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 171
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/4/2010 11:57:31 AM   
larryfulkerson

So um......turn 9 is finished.  Patrick is winning all over the map.  I can't seem to be able to stop him anywhere except for maybe the middle of the map.  And even that is ify.  It looks like he's headed for my supply points and if he gets those....well ??  Turn 9's AAR is found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn9

Post #: 172
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 4:37:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

Well, turn 10 is finished.  Patrick is breaking through my lines near Bastogne, he's headed for my supply points, and has surrounded huge pockets of my troops.  There's just no stopping this guy.  He's doing a great job.  Turn 10's AAR can be found here:  http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn10

Post #: 173
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 10:31:19 AM   
Abnormalmind

Post #: 174
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 10:32:18 AM   
Abnormalmind

Post #: 175
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 10:43:17 AM   
Abnormalmind

Turns 9 through 11: AXIS

"The Gamble" is paying off. Although, there are only four turns left until the weather clears when the Allied airforces arrive. On turn 1, the Axis panzer and SS divisions headed south towards Luxembourg and the southern armies were released for turn 2. Turn 2 the southern armies attacked the US positions in the south, albeit slowly, as the 21st Panzer KG was the only armor formation in the area. It wouldn't be until turn 9 that armor reinforcements arrived in the area via the long and painfully slow drive southwards. The 21st KG was taken out of the line around turn 8 to recuperate and resupply, leaving all the volksgrenadier divisions in contact with the US forces. Finally, after 7+ turns of driving the panzers through the insane terrain, along roads with hq's, police squads, and whatever else I could use to reduce movement, the panzer arrived at the hole in the US lines.

After a quick loop, three panzer divisions hit the US forces in the rear at pockets 2 and 3. Pocket 1 was simply overrun by portions of GDK, a forcible beast of an korp.

During this time period, three US supply dumps were captured. One way up by Malmedy, and the other two around Luxembourg. This has greatly increased Axis supply and, hopefully, crimped Allied supply for a few turns. On Turn 11, Axis forces met the US forces southwest of Luxembourg, but there was little fighting as the US forces were already fortified. The US artillery is being ranged by the long range German guns to determine which US batteries to neutralize before the forthcoming assault. I expect US forces to start pulling back, as bridging crews are now on the Moselle River with a large GDK Division waiting to press the crossing. Time is on the Allied side, and I can't foresee Larry keeping the bulk of his remaining forces in the south in a collapsing pocket.

BTW, Axis victory is still at a DRAW.

We still have 90+ turns left to play. It's only a matter of time before Allied forces re-group and start to smash my units with its huge airforces.

Edit: the mud froze on turn 11 as the weather turned colder.

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 1/5/2010 11:05:34 AM >

Post #: 176
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 10:57:45 AM   
Abnormalmind

A little history lesson.

The US 40th Infantry Division that was engulfed during turns 9 thru 11 was commanded by James Alward Van Fleet, quite the hero. He served in WW1 under Pershing, WW2, post-war Greece, and later became the commander of the U.S. Eighth Army and United Nations forces in Korea. This snippet does not give the man the full credit he deserves. To read more about General Van Fleet, here's a link to a wiki.
General Van Fleet Wiki Information

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 1/5/2010 2:45:30 PM >

Post #: 177
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 2:57:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

Turn 11 is finished.  Patrick is continuing to press his advantage and making hay while the sun shines.  He's engulfing and destroying units all over the map except for the middle where we seem to be in a standoff of some kind.  The AAR for turn 11 is found here: 

http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn11

Post #: 178
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 4:44:22 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

quote:

Does any of that information appear in the logfiles that TOAW can be set to generate?

So I guess the answer is no for this particular file. There must be a file that has those numbers in it however since the numbers are carried forward from turn to turn in our PBEM files we send to each other.
Note to Patrick: I'd be curious to know what the Axis losses are right about now. Must be pretty high.

You mean a CSV file that contains something like this with the turn number, Force, Hex, Lost, Remaining, Equipment similar to the information that's in the current screens? It gives a lot of information, but it can currently be got at by scraping the individual screens.

1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 3, 27,"Rifle AT- Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"SMG Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"Medium MG", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 3,"Heavy MG", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"60mm Mortar", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 4,"81mm Mortar", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 5,"Truck", "Replacements are available."
1,"German Army", 30, 23, 2, 4,"Rifle AT Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"German Army", 30, 23, 1, 2,"SMG AT Squad", "Replacements are available."

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

Post #: 179
RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread - 1/5/2010 4:58:38 PM   
Abnormalmind

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

quote:

You mean a CSV file that contains something like this with the turn number, Force, Hex, Lost, Remaining, Equipment similar to the information that's in the current screens? It gives a lot of information, but it can currently be got at by scraping the individual screens.

1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 3, 27,"Rifle AT- Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"SMG Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"Medium MG", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 3,"Heavy MG", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 9,"60mm Mortar", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 4,"81mm Mortar", "Replacements are available."
1,"Allied Army", 30, 23, 0, 5,"Truck", "Replacements are available."
1,"German Army", 30, 23, 2, 4,"Rifle AT Squad", "Replacements are available."
1,"German Army", 30, 23, 1, 2,"SMG AT Squad", "Replacements are available."

A quick question: are the reported losses factual and concrete or does it modify enemy losses? I hoped that the fog of war screwed with enemy loss reports, but that's just me, and I'm like that.

Thanks,
-Patrick

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Autumn Fog Playtesters Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI