Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gettysburg... tough!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> After Action Reports >> Gettysburg... tough! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gettysburg... tough! - 1/6/2010 8:28:50 PM   
mike1984

You can't complain about me starting this Gettysburg AAR, since I'm doing a South Mountain AAR with Robbie, as well as the Antietam one I had going earlier.

This one will be between me and Doc, a vet of these games and in real life. Should be fun, so stay tuned.
Post #: 1
7:40 a.m., July 1 - 1/9/2010 7:09:21 PM   
mike1984

Near Herr's Tavern
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Brig. Gen. John Buford
1st Cavalry Division Headquarters

7:40 a.m.

The Division has been placed across the Chambersburg Pike, so as to block Enemy troops reported to be marching towards the Village of Gettysburg. The small mounted contingent from West Virginia has sent scouts back with word that AP Hill's Corps is making its way down the Pike, and should arrive in force within the hour.

Gamble's Frist Brigade is on the South side of the Pike, along with Caleb's 2nd US Battery. Devin's Second Brigade has dismounted north of the Pike, and will screen against any movement from that direction. The Division has consolidated to bring as much fire against the advancing Enemy as possible.

Gen. Reynolds' First Corps has sent word of its marching north up from Emmitsburg. The First Division has been spotted about three miles south of Gettysburg.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 2
8:00 a.m., July 1 - 1/11/2010 4:38:36 PM   
mike1984

Near Herr's Tavern
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Brig. Gen. John Buford

8:00 a.m.

Enemy troops continued toward the forward skirmishers west of Herr's Tavern on the ridge. What looks like a battalion of artillery is also moving slowly east down the road. Reynolds sent word, he should be on the field presently. His First Division is now about an hour south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 3
RE: 8:00 a.m., July 1 - 1/11/2010 11:30:58 PM   
simovitch

Very nice AAR, though I see that you still havn't added my visible objective flag mods yet...

simovitch

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 4
RE: 8:00 a.m., July 1 - 1/12/2010 5:36:23 AM   
mike1984

We just updated our games yesterday.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
8:20 a.m., July 1 - 1/12/2010 5:37:39 AM   
mike1984

Near Herr's Tavern
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Brig. Gen. John Buford

8:20 a.m.

The first clap of rifled carbines is heard from the 3rd West Virginia on the ridge. Those fortunate enough to escape capture report the enemy is indeed Henry Heth's Division of Hill's Second Corps. At least two full brigades have been reported, along with the artillery spotted earlier.

Caleb's Battery lobbed several shells into the advancing columns, mostly to toy with the enemy's composure. The Division is in place to hold until Reynolds' men arrive.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 6
8:40 - 9:20 a.m., July 1 - 1/12/2010 5:53:47 PM   
mike1984

McPherson's Farmhouse
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Maj. Gen. John Reynolds
1st Corps Headquarters

8:40 thru 9:20

The enemy has advanced at a brisk pace towards the exposed flanker units, namely the 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry and 8th New York Cavalry regiments on the right and left, respectively. Many of them were enveloped en masse and either killed or captured. It was a significant blow to the defensive positions the division has taken; nearly 600 troopers were lost in a matter of an hour. Reports from those engagements indicate that Heth's Division is moving to the left, while Pender's Division, newly arrived on the field, is pressing north towards Oak Hill.

Wadsworth's First Division has reached the rear areas of the cavalry line, but will take a little longer to file into firing lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 7
9:40 a.m., July 1 - 1/13/2010 12:26:23 AM   
mike1984

McPherson's Farm
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Maj. Gen. John Reynolds
1st Corps Headquarters

9:40 a.m.

Wadsworth's First Division is arriving at a critical time, splitting his command on either side of the Chambersburg Pike. Cutler took two of his regiments (56th Pennsylvania, 76th New York) and two from Meredith's First "Iron" Brigade (2nd Wisconsin, 24th Michigan) towards McPherson's Woods south of the Pike. Meredith's force included his remaining three regiments (7th, 6th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana) and two from Cutler's (14th "Brooklyn" NYSM, 147th NYV) north of the Pike to support Devin's faltering line. The 95th New York had to regain its composure after enemy artillery shells exploded a caisson on the road. The division of these commands was borne out of necessity for speed, rather than preference of any kind. As the engagement develops further, every effort will be made to rejoin the regiments with their home brigades.

Robinson's Second Division has sent a word that he will be arriving on the field as quickly as his command can march.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 8
RE: 9:40 a.m., July 1 - 1/15/2010 6:53:56 AM   
Doc o War

As the other player In this I shall fill in      -Doc Lee's Dairy---

Early morning until 1030

Only part of Heth's Division fought out the first few hours- Archer's Tennessee Brigade and a mixed Mississippi/ N Carolina Brigade under Davis-
  They had come into the area looking for shoes reported to be in Gettysburg by a confederate force that had passed through there several days before on its way to Harrisburg. - these two Brigades being poorly equipted by their states, needed shoes- the rest of the army was pretty well eqipped. - They had been granted permission to do this.

But around 740am they bumped into Bufford's AoP cavalry Division near Herr Tavern on the road from Cashtown, where the rest of the Corps under AP Hill was encamped..After brushing aside a picket force of the Union 3rd West Virginia cavalry..  Archer's Brigade flanked the Union Left around McPherson's Farm and the woods. While Davis' Mississippian's flanked the Right of the Union Cav line on Oak Hill. General Heth came up with a battalion of Guns, emplaced them on the hill across the valley facing the Union Cav line at McPherson's  and shelled the Union center.
  Then Archer on the Union far Left, and Davis on the Union far Right- surrounded and killed or Captured the two Union Cav regiments on either flank. One Cav regiment went down completely to Archer in a single melee- one took two turns and also went down completely 
   After that; Davis engaged Devin's Cav Brigade on Oak Hill while Archer engaged Gamble's Cav Brigade on the Union Left and Center. The Cav units were pretty well shot up. the confed Arty pounded them hard also.
   Between 9 and 10am the rest of Heth's Division- Brochenbourgh's Virginian Brigade and Pettigrew's N Carolinians arrived.

Heth sent Pettigrew's stronger NCarolina Brigade to Oak Hill to support Davis in the fight for the High Ground there. Meanwhile, Archer's Brigade moved out around and through McPherson's Woods- bumping into a line of cav there and eventually union Infantry came up and supported them. Brockenbourgh's Virginians moved up into the center. Getting positioned in the Valley between the Confed gun line and the Union center.  

Pender's Divivison has not yet been on the map. Though it is coming. General Lee has decided to call all the three Army Corps to this town- this countermanded the march orders that had the army marching towards Harrisburg yesterday- the original target of this raid/invasion.

Lee thought he could fall upon an Isolated part of the Union Army- ruin it- and then continue on to Harrisburg- with the Union pursuit hampered by the defeat this days action would cause. He was blind without Stuart scouting for him. He knew there were one or two Union Corps near him- he thought his Three larger corps would be enough to smash the ones nearest him.
   Lee had no idea how close all six Corps of the Union Army were as until recently the Union Amy had always moved slowly and cautiously. The Key to everything was going to be this town, all the roads in this area lead there...and the big hills behind it looked like excellent ground to defend. Right now the Union has them...

< Message edited by Doc o War -- 1/15/2010 7:01:03 AM >

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 9
10 a.m. a.m., July 1 - 1/28/2010 1:36:41 PM   
mike1984

McPherson's Farm
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Maj. Gen. John Reynolds
1st Corps Headquarters

10:00 a.m.

Cutler's mixed command encountered one of Archer's regiments attempting to work around the left flank. The Wisconsin Volunteers released a quick volley, then dashed to the enemy, forcing him into a disorderly and hasty retreat. The 76th New York deployed a skirmish line into McPherson's Woods, discovering an enemy contingent of no fewer than three regiments waiting on the other side of the Creek. It is imperative that the 95th New York come up on the 76th's right.

Buford's crippled division is holding firm in the center along the Chambersburg Pike, but Devin's Brigade is in shambles on the right. Fortunately enough, Meredith's mixed command is assailing Davis' Brigade with great fury. The danger now on the right is that the enemy has worked up and over Oak Hill, and will make a strong flank attack directly south to roll up the entire defensive line.

Robinson's Division continues to march rapidly to the field.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 10
10:20 a.m., July 1 - 1/29/2010 8:13:18 PM   
mike1984

McPherson's Farm
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Maj. Gen. John Reynolds
1st Corps Headquarters

10:20 a.m.

For the moment, the entire left side of the line is stable. The Wisconsin Volunteers' attack had blunted the enemy's flanking attack, while Cutler's command is holding near the Creek. Buford and Caleb's Battery remain straddling the Pike, with the 6th Wisconsin in reserve. Enemy troops, from what looks to still be Heth's Division, are massing to the front along the Pike.

Meredith's command has stalled the enemy attack from Oak Hill, with remnants of Devin's Brigade falling back to the east as the infantry comes up.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 11
10:40 a.m., July 1 - 1/30/2010 2:44:34 AM   
mike1984

McPherson's Farm
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
July 1, 1863

Maj. Gen. John Reynolds
1st Corps Headquarters

10:40 a.m.

Brockenborough's Virginia Brigade launched a ferocious attack upon the middle of the line. Buford's troopers were forced to fend for themselves, quickly falling back towards the Seminary. Caleb's gunners had little opportunity to release a volley of cannister, as the battery was overrun, its guns captured. This is a desperate situation along the Chambersburg Pike.

The two Wisconsin regiments on the left are ordered to file to the right and support the center. General Reynolds rides to the front of the 6th Wisconsin Volunteers, and personally orders the charge. The enemy was thrown back in great confusion, although the 6th could not advance to the crest of the ridge. It is hoped that this counter blow gained enough time for reinforcements to arrive.

On the right, near Oak Hill, Davis' and Perrin's Brigades are still attempting to work that flank, but with little success. More devastating to this section of the line has been the enemy artillery on Herr Ridge to the west. Robinson's Division is nearing the town, and should be able to assail the enemy as necessary.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 12
RE: 10:40 a.m., July 1 - 2/1/2010 4:54:29 AM   
Doc o War

1040 to 11am- Brockys Virginians and Perrins Boys, led by General Heth pushed the Cav off the Ridge to our center and then were hit by a counter attack led by Reynolds himself- what was interesting is General Heth actually lead the unit up the hill that took the Battery and was in command of the unit that threw back the 6th Wisconsin- my unit broke afterward and fell back- but the objective flag remained confederate- though both sides fell back to opposite sides of the ridge. For a moment - in the midst of the fight, General Reynolds, a corp commander, and General Heth, a Divisional commander- were both on the hill oppossing one another, perhaps may even have seen each other. - Anyone who got near a firefight in the Civ War risked death- minnie balls flew in waves.

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 13
11:00 a.m., July 1 - 2/8/2010 5:22:00 PM   
mike1984

11:00 a.m.

The center is now becoming the focal point for the battle over Chambersburg Pike. Archer's Alabama Brigade was stopped on the left, and looks to be recouping on the west side of the Creek. Cutler's line now stretches more than 1000 yards, however, the gap in the center will have to be addressed promptly if the enemy attacks. For the time, this is all that can be spared. Doubleday's Third Division is within a mile of Cutler's left flank, and will replace the Wisconsin Regiments that are now moving to the right.

Meredith's command is having difficulties with the artillery to the west, but the line continues to hold in the face of superior enemy numbers coming down Oak Hill. The 14th "Brooklyn" had to fall to the rear as shells tore apart its firing line. But the 7th Wisconsin is now marching to the left of the 19th Indiana. Robinson's Division could be marched directly to Oak Hill. The enemy has been reported to be advancing down from Carlisle, which would place at least one enemy division upon the exposed right flank.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 14
11:20 a.m., July 1 - XI Corps - 2/10/2010 7:15:25 PM   
mike1984

11:20 a.m.

North of Pennsylvania College

Robinson's Division has not given time to file into firing lines; rather, they will march quickly by column right up to the enemy positions. The 16th Maine leads the division, and will be the first regiment to form a firing line. Meredith's command at the southern end of Oak Hill is taking more casualties as the morning proceeds. Devin's cavalry troopers repulsed numerous charges by the enemy, inflicting nearly 300 casualties upon the attacking force. The glorious stand has allowed Robinson's Division time to form. To the south of Gettysburg, lead elements of the 11th Corps is marching towards the field.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 15
11:20 a.m., July 1 - I Corps - 2/10/2010 7:16:17 PM   
mike1984

West of Gettysburg Seminary

Cutler's command along the Chambersburg Pike has scouted enemy troops in the woods around the Creek. It is expected that those battalions will attack soon. Doubleday's Division exited the route of march, and will proceed directly north to take up positions to Cutler's left flank. The two Wisconsin regiments are moving quickly to join with their brigade, north of the Pike.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 16
11:40 a.m., July 1 - XI Corps - 2/11/2010 7:06:47 PM   
mike1984

11:40 a.m.

North of Pennsylvania College

The enemy brigades were thrown back from Meredith's line, but Devin's troopers could not stand the pressure for long. Paul's Brigade from Robinson's Division marched three regiments into firing lines, while the rest of the division files to the left. It is of the most importance that Robinson can stretch his division to Meredith's line. The enemy is massing on Oak Hill for another push.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 17
11:40 a.m., July 1 - I Corps - 2/11/2010 7:07:17 PM   
mike1984

West of Gettysburg Seminary

There is a large enemy force assembling near Herr's Tavern. It should be ready to assault our positions within the hour. Reynolds has been valiant in command, maneuvering men and guns from one end of the line to another. It is by no small miracle that the enemy has not been able to drive us from the ridge. Doubleday's Division can be fully deployed within twenty minutes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 18
RE: 11:40 a.m., July 1 - I Corps - 2/16/2010 8:52:19 AM   
Doc o War

1140- The Arrival of Penders Division over the last hour has saved the day, as Heth's tired formations have been fighting all morning- I have had to split Heth and Pender's Divisions between McPhersons Ridge and OAk Hill- and have a large battery of guns set up near Herr Ridge to support the Center. As each new brigade arrived I have shifted them into line left and right-with Heth Shifted over to my Left- their Right-  to command on Oak Hill,  while Pender commands on McPherson Ridge.

The majority of Penders fresh troops coming down the main highway were mostly moved into position behind and on McPhersons Ridge and in the woodline- I swung Several of Pender's Brigades to my far Right- the Union left,  backed with a Battalion of Guns which are taking up a backstop position just behind the Woods on my Right- My forward forces along McPhersons ridge have been strongly engaged and are very tired- However fortunately two fresh Brigades have now swung into the woods and more should be arriving on my Right- His left-- in moments- which may be not a moment too soon as it looks like he is going to counter attack there.

On My far Left- from the East comes the first of Rode;s Division of Ewell's oncoming corps- also not a minute left to spare- Heth's Brigades with some of Penders boys are holding the heights of Oak hill but the peak changed hands back and forth twice.  Ewells Corps arriving from the East will broaden the frontage .  

... Heroditus.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 19
12 p.m., July 1 - Part 1 - 2/17/2010 12:52:13 AM   
mike1984

Robinson has placed his division with Paul's Brigade on the right, straddling the road to Oak Hill. Baxter's Brigade continues to file into line, extending into the woods. The enemy force on the Hill has not advanced yet, a curious move since the right flank is in the air. Meredith's command from the 1st Division is making the shift to towards the Chambersburg Pike, and will connect with the remainder of the "Iron" Brigade shortly. A small enemy brigade is marching forward north of the Pike.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 20
12 p.m., July 1 - Part 2 - 2/17/2010 12:53:01 AM   
mike1984

The arrival of Doubleday's Division practically saved the entire left of the Corps. Rowley's Pennsylvanians charged Archer's Brigade from column formations. It was a valiant assault, which has destabilized the entire enemy flank. Stone's Brigade will remain on the east bank of the creek, ready to support Rowley if necessary.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 21
RE: 12 p.m., July 1 - Part 2 - 2/17/2010 8:42:58 AM   
Doc o War

Noon- The CSA is still moving forces into position behind McPhersons Ridge- On my Right- the Union Left- Doubledays Division has pushed into the valley below the Ridge and is engaging Archers small and tired Brigade- Pender's fresh Brigades under Scales and Thomas are marching hard to support Archer on my Right- Perrin and Lane's Brigade are in the woods and behind the central hill at McPherson's farm.  Brockenbourgh's small Brigade has pushed forward and grabbed a position above the rail cut- it is a hot place and some casualties are taken- but the position prevents a union push in that area and gives flanking fire all along the woodline at the bottom of Oak Hill where Reynold's Infantry has been pushed back off the Hill.  
  Meanwhile Heth's Division (-)  is on my Left- the Union Right- up on Oak Hill- there Pettigrew and Davis's Brigades with a few guns have been slowly pushing the union troops back off the hill- The Hillside and woods there are covered in bodies. Both Brigades have been fighting all day and are too fatigued for much more assulting. Fortunately Rodes Division of Ewells corps  has appeared on the Eastmap edge and his first brigades are just arriving - some coming around behind and into Heth's lines, and several Brigades- lead by O Niel- are moving out into the countryside below Oak Hill- I want to get into a more solid bulk before I launch an attack to drive the union back from the Hill.
Now it is two Corps( the Union 1st and 11th) to two corps-( AP Hills and Ewells) 
  As long as the Union holds back and doesnt counterattack I can hold what I have already and push forward later when my main forces arrive.  

... Heroditus.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 22
RE: 12 p.m., July 1 - Part 2 - 3/3/2010 9:31:45 AM   
Doc o War

MIKE'S COMPUTER IS DOWN AND IN FOR REPAIRS_ SO THERE IS A SLIGHT DELAY IN THE AAR>> Sorry

... Heroditus.

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> After Action Reports >> Gettysburg... tough! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI