Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game will not load in Win7/64 bit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Game will not load in Win7/64 bit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/10/2010 3:45:58 PM   
cowace2

The launcher runs fine; when I start the game, it runs through the intro sequence without issue, then at the end of the initial loading screen the game window closes and nothing further happens.

I am thinking it may be related to Flash player, as after it crashes a dialogue box pops up and says "A Windows Component is missing", which Windows says is Flash player. However, I have FP installed and fully updated.

I have tried running in every available compatibility mode, and the game is fully patched. Running Windows 7 64 bit, relatively new hardware.
Post #: 1
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/14/2010 3:06:28 PM   
gukan

Some responses on this forum about the flash problem

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1867969

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1883776

Hope some of them works for you.

(in reply to cowace2)
Post #: 2
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/17/2010 5:37:10 PM   
ericbabe

One player had an issue similar to this and found that installing Shockwave (http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/) fixed his problem.  You might try installing that.

(in reply to gukan)
Post #: 3
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/6/2011 4:22:28 AM   
rayhughes

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem of not FOF not working under windows 7 64 bit?

I have this same issue where the game goes to a 640 x 480 screen, then the intro page starts up and I watch the loading blue bar load slowly, then recede, then load slowly, then recede, then rush to finish, and then the game exits right after the voice says FIRE.

I have tried putting FLASH.OCX into the Macromed folder under Windows/Syswow64 and even copied this Macromed folder into the System32 folder.
I have even loaded shockwave as someone else has suggested.
I have uninstalled the game and resinstalled under SAFE MODE at least twice.

Still cannot play this game and it is really becoming a nuisance. Can anyone offer a constructive solution here please

(in reply to cowace2)
Post #: 4
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/6/2011 6:45:55 PM   
JonBrave

I have a couple of (probably useless, sorry...) suggestions. Please don't shout at me, as I'm only trying to help! I recently purchased FoF and run it just fine on my home PC --- just XP 32-bit! And I don't even have Win 7, but...

* Have you made sure that you *don't* install to "Win 7 Games/Programs" area, or whatever it is, just a simple directory, as Win 7 can get too "bossy" about what it thinks are games?
* Have you tried "Run as Administrator" when actually launching the program (not just how you installed it)?
* Have you *considered* installing the "XP Mode" for Win7? (Oh, does that say not for "Home" edition?) Frankly I've never found these very successful for gaming/driver-type software, but who knows, this one has big claims... though I realise it's a lot of effort.
* No chance of any messages in Event Viewer?
* There are a few mentions on this forum of either ForgeOfFreedom.ini file or command-line options, like "noflash" or "nosound" to try playing with

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 5
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/6/2011 8:25:58 PM   
rayhughes

Any response with suggestions is most welcome..

As for your suggestions, the only ones I have not tried are the NOFLASH=1 and NOSOUND=1.
(I have attempted to run the game in Win32 XP mode but the results are the same??)

I will try these options in the INI file tonight when I get home - and let you know if they have been successful.

The Irony of all this is that I actually had the game running previously unders windows 7 64 bit - so I know it works - but after a crash and a complete rebuild/reinstallation of Win 7 64 bit I have been unable to run the game succesfully.

Thanks

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 6
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/6/2011 8:34:53 PM   
JonBrave

So far, you seem to have installed Win7 64 once and it worked, then reinstall second time, doesn't. Based on my long experience with Windows, I would suggest you have a 50-50 chance of it working again if you choose you wipe Windows and start over... sorry

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 7
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/7/2011 3:00:36 AM   
rayhughes

Well., Home and tried the NOflash and nosound - these don't seem to work in the INI file??? I still get sound and I assume still get flash so maybe I am doing it wrong. Someone like to point me to the correct way>

Oh and thank you for your response. I am NOT about to reinstall windows 7 64 bit again as it has taken some time to get back to a point where I can run pretty much all my apps and games except for this one.....

As I paid a full retail for a 4 year old game, I would really like Matrix support staff to jump in here...
Perhaps I can send a log or something....

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 8
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/9/2011 6:07:55 AM   
Gil R.

Ray,
I'm at a conference, and therefore checking the forum much less often than usual. I've e-mailed our programmer for input.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 9
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/9/2011 5:49:33 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ray hughes
I have this same issue where the game goes to a 640 x 480 screen, then the intro page starts up and I watch the loading blue bar load slowly, then recede, then load slowly, then recede, then rush to finish, and then the game exits right after the voice says FIRE.

If the game is going to a 640 x 480 screen, then something is very wrong. The FOF screen should be 1024 x 768. Is your video card DirectX9 compatible?

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 10
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/11/2011 9:35:30 PM   
rayhughes

Sorry, been very busy at work... Yes my Graphics card is a NVIDA EVGA GT460 - 1mb not overclocked.
My NVIDIA drivers are 260.x series so very recent

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/11/2011 11:58:56 PM   
Gil R.

Ray,
You (mistakenly?) posted a response in a different thread, so I've taken the liberty of deleting it there and moving it here, and will make sure Eric sees it.

quote:

Thinking some more about this... My DXDIAG returns DX version 11. I have tried to install DX9, but the operating system response is that it is already installed. (Some games seem to want to install DX9 during installation).

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 12
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/12/2011 8:27:02 PM   
rayhughes

Anyone out there?  Do  you want me to send a log file? Anything .... I have today and tomorrow off (Thur/Fri)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 13
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/12/2011 10:08:37 PM   
ericbabe

Would you mind taking a screenshot and posting it here when the screen goes to 640 x 480?  The program is using standard DirectX calls to your video card to set the resolution to 1024 x 768, and honestly I have no idea what would make the card instead set itself to 640 x 480.  I can't recall anyone else ever having this problem with resolution like that.  Meanwhile I'll read up on the Nvidia / DirectX blogs and see whether anyone else has seen a problem like this before.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 14
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/13/2011 12:10:46 AM   
rayhughes

Yes, I am happy to do that except that my attempts at taking a picture have so far been clumsy and fruitless. I have been waiting for the load screen of FOF and then hitting the PRINT SCREEN button expecting an image to be saved to my user folder - so far nothing.
But I should also say that I am probably mistaken and the programme FOF loads into a space that is more likely to be 1024x768 with black bars down either side of my 22" wide LCD. So the 640x480 thingy is a red herring and I apologise for.
The errors are always the same when windows reports an error after quitting. It states it is missing the FLASH.OCX file and yet I have loaded this file (which was missing in the Macromed folder in Syswow64 into both System32 and Syswow64 and still the problem persists)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 15
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/20/2011 10:19:13 PM   
rayhughes

OK, frustration is coming to the boil. I paid NZ$105 for this game and can no longer get it to work under windows 7 64 bit. It appears support for this product while present, is fleeting at best for a game of this age.  While I can understand this, I believe I have shown patience in waiting for responses.
Well no longer.

You could argue that the game wasn't designed to run under Windows 7 and I would agree, except the responses in the forum under this matter, appear to invoke a favourable response from those who have succeeded and from staff members themselves and  it is on this basis I went ahead and purchased the product.

Matrix, you need to stand behind your product

I would like either a credit
Or a workable solution - this option I would prefer. I am happy to provide system logs or whatever you would like (Provided you give me instruction on how to go about providing the necessary files). Other users who appear to have had this problem have either had them sorted, or given up?
My errors always point to FLASH.OCX as missing - but this is probably a red herring as I have included this file in the Macromed folder under SYSwow64 and also system32 in windows - with little result. Even incorporating NO FLASH in the INI file achieves llittle.

The errors are the same as listed earlier in the thread even after complete un-install and re-installation - can someone in support from Matrix please comment or give me some help. I have included my latest DXDiag file

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ray hughes -- 1/21/2011 4:49:30 AM >

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 16
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/21/2011 3:09:42 PM   
Floyd

To see if the error is Flash-related, do this: navigate to the "Forge of Freedom" folder
and rename the folder "Video" to, for example, "_Video". I've just tested this and
the game starts with the moving blue bar, followed by the game menu at the bottom
of the display. No intro movie playing, screen is blank white except for menu.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 17
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/21/2011 8:51:56 PM   
rayhughes

Did that - didn't work - same result.
The music starts, the blue bar progresses, then at the very end the window outline shadow (window within window?) shrinks during the final word "FIRE" . The screen goes blank then exits back to the desktop.

So... does this mean I am right and the Flash.OCX error reported by windows is in fact a red herring?

Are there any other ways you can help me drill down to investigate further?

< Message edited by ray hughes -- 1/21/2011 8:55:34 PM >

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 18
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/23/2011 10:16:16 AM   
Floyd

Zwo things i would try:

- can you play the video/intro.swf by loading the file to Firefox/IE? the video should play.
- do you have any third party codecs (like FFmpeg) installed? Deinstall and try again.

I must admit it's fishing in the dark.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 19
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/24/2011 3:58:44 AM   
rayhughes

Success!!

How? Here's how. Floyd thanks for your pointer. I tried various CODECs for windows 7 32 and 64 bit without success, but during this process I read on one of the forums playing of the swf files was only really possible thru Adobe Flash player. Instructions for installing the Flash player correctly also pointed out pitfalls where it will not work correctly under windows 7 64 bit and that was browser related. Following those instructions, I decided to give it a go as I had nothing to loose. Instead of using Firefox (my default browser), I loaded the 32bit version of Windows MS Internet Explorer version 8 and installed adobe flash player via that interface. Restarted my computer and presto FOF launches correctly and displays correctly. Finally !!

I recall that I have run across situations like this before, particularly relating to my wireless Broadband connection, where software updates will only download correctly via the MS Internet Explorer browser...

Well, hope this will help others who run into this difficulty in the future and I would like to thank those users who contributed to this forum link with suggestions to help me and others.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 20
RE: Game will not load in Win7/64 bit - 1/26/2011 9:16:59 PM   
Gil R.

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know, and know how it was done.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Game will not load in Win7/64 bit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI