Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question - 1/13/2010 2:17:38 PM   
elmo3

Will be watching this one closely. Can you pause the game to issue orders and such? Thanks.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Post #: 1
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 3:00:13 PM   
LarryP

Yes, pause is a feature in the game. Also when you open a menu, the game automatically pauses until you close the menu.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 2
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 4:16:05 PM   
elmo3

Thanks for the quick reply.  Looking forward to learning more about the game.  There is no such thing as too many 4X games.  

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 3
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 6:20:16 PM   
LarryP

This game relies heavily on the exploration part of 4x.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 4
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 7:48:55 PM   
elmo3

Some 4X games are designed to encourage maximum expansion.  If you aren't expanding all the time you are falling behind.  Others take a more leisurely approach where you expand slowly and build a solid colony or two before you can afford to move on.  Nothing wrong with either approach, they are just different design philosophies.  Can you comment on the pace of expansion in DW?

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 5
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 7:59:09 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Some 4X games are designed to encourage maximum expansion.  If you aren't expanding all the time you are falling behind.  Others take a more leisurely approach where you expand slowly and build a solid colony or two before you can afford to move on.  Nothing wrong with either approach, they are just different design philosophies.  Can you comment on the pace of expansion in DW?

Since I played so much in sandbox mode while testing things, I did very little for increasing the economics of my empire. This game has automatic settings for everything if you choose so. There are three settings for managing things:

1) Manual; you make the decisions for expansion (ship building, colonization, etc.
2) Suggest; advisers suggest what they think you need to do.
3) Fully Automate; advisers make and do the decisions.

I used Suggest most of the time and my economy was always keeping me well within the black. You can spread out from the start, or you can build upon your home system first. However, the alien races will expand regardless.

I hope that helps.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/13/2010 8:17:46 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 8:48:46 PM   
ASHBERY76

What do resources actually do in gameplay.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 7
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 9:17:30 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

.... You can spread out from the start, or you can build upon your home system first. However, the alien races will expand regardless.

I hope that helps.

That is what I was wondering. Thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 9:18:23 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

quote:

Since I played so much in sandbox mode while testing things, I did very little for increasing the economics of my empire. This game has automatic settings for everything if you choose so. There are three settings for managing things:

1) Manual; you make the decisions for expansion (ship building, colonization, etc.
2) Suggest; advisers suggest what they think you need to do.
3) Fully Automate; advisers make and do the decisions.

I used Suggest most of the time and my economy was always keeping me well within the black. You can spread out from the start, or you can build upon your home system first. However, the alien races will expand regardless.

I hope that helps.

I talk a little about automation in the SO SWEET thread, for those interested.

I was like LarryP, I tended to explore and play sandbox, rather than play ruthlessly efficient. Both methods can work, it all depends on your goals, really. The size of the universe is just plain huge... btw, and each system has planetary bodies and its own entities (asteroids, gas giants, etc). I think people are going to be really surprised at the detail level here.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 9:22:19 PM   
elmo3

I should have titled this thread Questions!  Do you know yet what sort of documentation will ship with the game?  A manual I assume but what about tutorials?  Someone mentioned in-game help too I think?

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 10
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 9:30:44 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
What do resources actually do in gameplay.

There are about 40 different resources in the game. They are divided between strategic resources which you use to build stuff (ships and bases), and luxury resources which raise the development of your colonies. So ensuring a free flow of resources to your colonies is critical so that they grow and thus earn more tax income for your empire.

Each resource is found at particular types of planets, e.g. gases at gas giants, metals at asteroids and rocky planets, etc. Seeking out rare, valuable resources is a good strategy to pursue in the game.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 9:32:17 PM   
elliotg

quote:

I should have titled this thread Questions!  Do you know yet what sort of documentation will ship with the game?  A manual I assume but what about tutorials?  Someone mentioned in-game help too I think?

The game has built-in, context-sensitive help in the form of the "Galactopedia". You can press F1 at any time to launch this help and can browse between hundreds of inter-linked topics. The game will also ship with a more traditional Matrix-style manual.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 12
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 11:30:44 PM   
elmo3

Great, thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 13
RE: Question - 1/13/2010 11:39:36 PM   
Footslogger

Hello. More Screenshots please. And will this game be sold in retail stores?

What about PBEM? Screen resolution? Windows 7? And.....

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 1/14/2010 12:53:50 AM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 14
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 8:56:39 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger
Hello. More Screenshots please. And will this game be sold in retail stores?

What about PBEM? Screen resolution? Windows 7? And.....

Next week there are some more videos coming out - stay tuned

There will likely be some retail stores carrying it - but that's yet to be finalized.

There is no PBEM feature in the game.

Minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 768. The game scales up to any resolution your system supports - the bigger the better actually for gameplay.

The game has been tested to run and is supported on Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 15
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 1:59:07 PM   
ypsylon

quote:

This game relies heavily on the exploration part of 4x.

Great! Simply hate 4x games which are just constant (virtual) blood bath.

Boldly exploring what others missed.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 3:30:38 PM   
PJL1973

This sounds like it could be an interesting game but 2 questions first:
1. Is there going to be a demo of the game?
2. I see little mention of planetary management other than shipyards and resource mines? Does that mean there are no planetary improvements as such and that resoruces are used instead to increase income / happiness / habitability, as well as help build ships?

(in reply to ypsylon)
Post #: 17
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 6:35:29 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJL
This sounds like it could be an interesting game but 2 questions first:
1. Is there going to be a demo of the game?
2. I see little mention of planetary management other than shipyards and resource mines? Does that mean there are no planetary improvements as such and that resoruces are used instead to increase income / happiness / habitability, as well as help build ships?

1. There are no plans for a demo at this point

2. Correct. The major focus with colonies is to keep them supplied with a steady stream of luxury resources which are delivered by your freighters. You can also construct bases at your colonies (e.g. space ports) which can also help improve them.

Mining stations and other bases are constructed at planets that are not your colonies (i.e. uninhabited) to exploit their resources. These resources are then shipped off to your nearest space port by freighters. All of the resource exploitation and transport takes place using actual ships and bases - there is no abstracted trade system, shipments of resources literally move from their source to your colonies. This makes it possible to disrupt your economy/supply chain, i.e. you really have to protect all of this. It also provides a lot of interesting background activity in the game.

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 18
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 7:05:03 PM   
cdbeck

If I might add to Elliot's fine comments (and who wouldn't expect them to be fine, given that he is the developer).

In regards to planetary management, I think that there might be some slight confusion regarding the scope of the game (understandable, as information is just now leaking out). I've been telling people on various forums - think big. To quote a famous author - "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is." I think Elliot has gone a long way in properly simulating this. If you play your cards right, your empire can extend over several solar systems, each containing a number of planets that have detailed levels of different resources in addition to non-planetary bodies. Some even have special "points of interest." There is a certain "laissez faire" aspect to colonial control - and you really wouldn't want it any other way - granted the scope of the game. In some ways - and I may get lambasted for this statement - Distant Worlds succeeds in the original vision set out for Master of Orion 3 - a game of macro-management in a giant universe teeming with surprises and an underlying story.

quote:

Great! Simply hate 4x games which are just constant (virtual) blood bath.

Boldly exploring what others missed.

You are going to like this aspect of Distant Worlds, then. You build specialized "scouting vessels" that will go out (on their own, if you chose to automate) and search strange new worlds. Many times, you'll find simply an empty system with planets to mine or colonize. However... sometimes you'll find something interesting... and I'm not going to elaborate.

SoM

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 19
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 7:57:17 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

However... sometimes you'll find something interesting... and I'm not going to elaborate.

SoM

Tease!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 20
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 9:32:37 PM   
elmo3

Do the alien races have unique tech trees?  If yes, can you trade, steal/spy to learn alien tech?

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 1/14/2010 9:33:20 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 21
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 10:16:48 PM   
elliotg

quote:

Do the alien races have unique tech trees?  If yes, can you trade, steal/spy to learn alien tech?

There is some unique alien tech, but the tech tree is largely the same for each race.

However when performing research, each race will emphasize different areas that match their personality, i.e. aggressive races research specific types of weapons, cautious races research powerful shields, etc. So the end result is that each race will end up having different tech advances from other races.

You can trade or steal tech from other empires, but the few unique alien techs are extremely expensive and difficult to obtain if you are not of that race. Obtaining them is doable, but very difficult.

Usually the best way to trade for these unique techs would be to offer to help an alien race when they are in deep strife, e.g. if they are at war with a larger empire and you offer to help them fight that empire, in exchange for their special tech.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 22
RE: Question - 1/14/2010 11:23:21 PM   
elmo3

Got it.  Thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 23
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 1:00:05 PM   
PJL1973

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg
1. There are no plans for a demo at this point

2. Correct. The major focus with colonies is to keep them supplied with a steady stream of luxury resources which are delivered by your freighters. You can also construct bases at your colonies (e.g. space ports) which can also help improve them.

Mining stations and other bases are constructed at planets that are not your colonies (i.e. uninhabited) to exploit their resources. These resources are then shipped off to your nearest space port by freighters. All of the resource exploitation and transport takes place using actual ships and bases - there is no abstracted trade system, shipments of resources literally move from their source to your colonies. This makes it possible to disrupt your economy/supply chain, i.e. you really have to protect all of this. It also provides a lot of interesting background activity in the game.

Interesting - don't remember playing any space x4 game that had that sort of trade / resource logistical system. Come to think of it there are very few x4 strategy ganes that did this, with the exception of the Settlers (I & II), and that was real-time too, but not a click fest either, thanks to the way resources and tools transportation was handled via roads, which was almost a game in itself. if you can manage to do somethinmg similar for Distant Worlds without it being a clickfest then it sounds like it could be an awesome game.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 24
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 3:10:26 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: PJL
if you can manage to do somethinmg similar for Distant Worlds without it being a clickfest then it sounds like it could be an awesome game.

DW is not a clickfest, but there can be an influx of decisions to be made when things get hot, and that requires clicking.

(in reply to PJL1973)
Post #: 25
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 4:08:24 PM   
PunkReaper

This game is definitely one to watch with several ideas (especially the way the economy works) that are superior to other space games on the market. I have enjoyed Galactic civ for years but this game really kept my interest and has plenty of replayability. Don't know when it is due for release but I will certainly be buying it.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 26
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 5:18:54 PM   
elmo3

Can we see an AAR from one of the testers, with lots of screen shots of course!  

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 27
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 6:14:36 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Don't know when it is due for release but I will certainly be buying it.

You won't need to.

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 28
RE: Question - 1/15/2010 8:26:47 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

Can we see an AAR from one of the testers, with lots of screen shots of course!  

When they let us do that... I'm sure one of use will!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 29
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 1:17:19 PM   
Judykator

Will I be the solar system, as in reality? Are the stars closest to us? Or whether all the systems and their names are random?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI