Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 7:18:30 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judykator

Will I be the solar system, as in reality? Are the stars closest to us? Or whether all the systems and their names are random?

I'm not sure what the first part of your question means? There is nothing distant in the solar system that you cannot zoom into.

I will try and explain a little about the system and maybe that will answer your questions. These are the options for a new game concerning the system:

Shape:
Elliptical
Spiral
Ring
Irregular

Size:
Galaxy sizes 100, 250, 400, 700, 1000, 1400 stars

Galaxy starting location:
Deep Core
Outer Core
Inner Rim
Outer Rim

Then there are several other options concerning races, government type, etc. Now as far as the naming conventions used for the star systems and planets, Elliot will have to help with that. To be honest, I never paid attention to the naming of them. I was looking for bugs, big juicy bugs.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 31
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 7:22:43 PM   
ASHBERY76

I think he means do the Human start on Earth.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 32
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 7:24:50 PM   
LarryP

I need to add one other thing, the zooming in and out in this game is phenomenal! I mean it's really impressive. I zoom out, and put my mouse over where I want to zoom in and I zoom right into where the cursor was set to. I have zoomed in and out all over the system for long periods of time and every time I am in awe at how well Elliot set this up. It is pretty!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 33
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 7:27:50 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I wondered if that's what he meant. Thanks!

No. The planet names are fictitious. You do not start off on earth and the other planets are not named like our system. Where Elliot gets the naming from I have no idea.

I just started a new game a few minutes ago as Humans and my home planet name is Iskabar 5.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/16/2010 7:32:28 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 34
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 8:00:12 PM   
Judykator

Solar System: Marcury, Venus, Earth, Mars, etc.
Naerby stars: Proxima, Sirius, etc.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 35
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 8:05:24 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

I wondered if that's what he meant. Thanks!

No. The planet names are fictitious. You do not start off on earth and the other planets are not named like our system. Where Elliot gets the naming from I have no idea.

I just started a new game a few minutes ago as Humans and my home planet name is Iskabar 5.

But does the human backstory mention Earth.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 36
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 8:14:02 PM   
LarryP

quote:

Solar System: Marcury, Venus, Earth, Mars, etc.
Naerby stars: Proxima, Sirius, etc.

Not that I've seen. If Elliot programmed them in, I haven't seen them yet.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 37
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 8:14:31 PM   
LarryP

quote:

But does the human backstory mention Earth.

No. Not that I've seen.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 38
RE: Question - 1/16/2010 8:52:14 PM   
elliotg

The star system names are sourced from a text file which you can easily mod to have whatever names you like.

You can also set the historical home system name of any race, though this is not necessarily the system where you start the game, for reasons made clear in the backstory.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 39
RE: Question - 1/17/2010 8:33:49 PM   
Jamerson89

What will the technology tree be like?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 40
RE: Question - 1/17/2010 10:09:31 PM   
JosEPhII

Will the Humans have a balanced chance against the other AI on Average difficulty level. Or will they be disadvantaged as Armada2526 has done?

What are the levels of difficulty?

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Jamerson89)
Post #: 41
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 4:02:39 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jamerson89
What will the technology tree be like?

Tech is focussed around researching new components that you can then use in your ship designs. There are 17 different research areas that you progress your research in to unlock new components. These research areas are categories like various types of weapons, engines, shields, reactors, etc. There are about 200 components spread across these research areas.

(in reply to Jamerson89)
Post #: 42
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 4:12:07 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II
Will the Humans have a balanced chance against the other AI on Average difficulty level. Or will they be disadvantaged as Armada2526 has done?

Each race has a distinct personality based on attributes like aggressiveness, intelligence, friendliness, caution, etc. Also each race may have various bonuses like producing more income, being better spies, lower maintenance costs, etc. So each race has advantages and disadvantages.

If anything, Humans probably have a slight overall advantage in the game. But each race is different - they have strengths in different areas.

quote:

What are the levels of difficulty?

There isn't a single setting for difficulty level. Instead there's a number of different settings that can increase the difficulty.

The screenshot below shows the first step in the Start New Game screen. The important settings for controlling difficulty are the bottom 4: Aggression, Research Speed, number of Space Creatures and number of Pirates.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 43
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 6:24:42 AM   
Judykator

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg
Tech is focussed around researching new components that you can then use in your ship designs. There are 17 different research areas that you progress your research in to unlock new components. These research areas are categories like various types of weapons, engines, shields, reactors, etc. There are about 200 components spread across these research areas.

There are no improvements to the planets? Buildings? Economy?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 44
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 5:08:37 PM   
Deomrve

How do you conquer planets? Build troops then drop them on a planet, then have it automatically resolved or will there be some form of planetary tactical combat.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 45
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 5:58:10 PM   
ASHBERY76

How smooth deos the game run with 1400 stars when the galaxy is fully colonized? I wonder with all the ships and freighters moving around it might struggle a bit.

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 46
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 6:30:28 PM   
LarryP

quote:

There is a private sector of civilians that manage trade routes and other items. However, you set up the trade with other civilizations. You just don't micromanage it. Buildings, no, you build from the planet outward. Mining stations, military ships and bases, etc.. Economy is managed through your decisions of spending, taxation (separate for each planet), research, and deals.

Elliot, correct me if I got something wrong here...

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/18/2010 6:31:44 PM >

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 47
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 6:34:22 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deomrve

How do you conquer planets? Build troops then drop them on a planet, then have it automatically resolved or will there be some form of planetary tactical combat.

Conquer planets by military force or\and trade deals. There is not any micromanaged warfare other than directing your military ships.

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 48
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 6:47:49 PM   
LarryP

quote:

How smooth deos the game run with 1400 stars when the galaxy is fully colonized? I wonder with all the ships and freighters moving around it might struggle a bit.

This is a good question that we worked with during development. There is a nebulae density setting that you can turn up or down that greatly affects clipping, depending on your system of course. There is also a frame per second (fps) setting that also governs heat your PC will generate(my laptop for instance), and also clipping. These two items work excellent in controlling how your monitor will display the end result. That along with zoom will allow any machine within reason to work well with great graphics.

Personal note:
I play this game on XP and Vista. XP machine has one 3.6 gig processor, GeForce 8800 GTS video card, 2 gigs of RAM. The Vista is a laptop with a 2.6 gig dual core, ATI Radeon 4400 or 4500 (can't remember now) video card, 4 gigs of RAM. I have to turn down nebulae on both machines below full to avoid some clipping when things get real busy, but the detail is awesome that the game offers. There are storms and lightening in the nebulae, besides a lot of space traffic. This all gets more intense if you are zoomed in all the way and that's another setting that controls how things will work, where you are zoomed to.

EDIT: I almost forgot... the game also has a speed setting that goes up two notches and down two notches from normal. -2 -1 0 +1 +2, 0 being normal speed. This also affects the graphics handling. So there are four items that affect graphics handling:

1) Nebulae density (slider adjustment)
2) FPS
3) Zoom
4) Speed of game (5 settings)

< Message edited by LarryP -- 1/18/2010 6:54:44 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 49
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 7:26:05 PM   
Judykator

In total, only war, no economy and the development of civilization

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 50
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 7:38:21 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

In total, only war, no economy and the development of civilization

Read the website the focus is a massive galaxy with macro managing.Do you think you could manage Galciv2 planet building for 50,000 planets.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 51
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 7:40:21 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

quote:

Conquer planets by military force or\and trade deals. There is not any micromanaged warfare other than directing your military ships.

Can you bombard the planet population from space.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 52
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 7:52:26 PM   
Deomrve

quote:

quote:

What do mean by Military force?

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 53
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 7:56:22 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

quote:

This is a good question that we worked with during development. There is a nebulae density setting that you can turn up or down that greatly affects clipping, depending on your system of course. There is also a frame per second (fps) setting that also governs heat your PC will generate(my laptop for instance), and also clipping. These two items work excellent in controlling how your monitor will display the end result. That along with zoom will allow any machine within reason to work well with great graphics.

Personal note:
I play this game on XP and Vista. XP machine has one 3.6 gig processor, GeForce 8800 GTS video card, 2 gigs of RAM. The Vista is a laptop with a 2.6 gig dual core, ATI Radeon 4400 or 4500 (can't remember now) video card, 4 gigs of RAM. I have to turn down nebulae on both machines below full to avoid some clipping when things get real busy, but the detail is awesome that the game offers. There are storms and lightening in the nebulae, besides a lot of space traffic. This all gets more intense if you are zoomed in all the way and that's another setting that controls how things will work, where you are zoomed to.

EDIT: I almost forgot... the game also has a speed setting that goes up two notches and down two notches from normal. -2 -1 0 +1 +2, 0 being normal speed. This also affects the graphics handling. So there are four items that affect graphics handling:

1) Nebulae density (slider adjustment)
2) FPS
3) Zoom
4) Speed of game (5 settings)

I have a slightly more modest system than Larry and, with Nebula turned a bit down, I get pretty decent FPS and not so much clipping. IIRC you get a more "strategic overlook" like in Supreme Commander when you zoom out enough. That can have a decent effect on your performance at higher zoom levels - it takes the load off.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 54
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 8:41:59 PM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

The focus with colony development is to supply them with luxury resources and they will improve on their own, giving your empire higher tax income.

However you do build orbital bases at colonies and these bases provide a lot of the functionality that planetary buildings would in other games. E.g. Space ports provide research facilities, construction yards and trade centers. Other bases might include defensive installations, long-range monitoring stations, tourist resorts, or anything else you can think of.

There are several sources of income for your state government, but the main source is tax income from your colonies.

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 55
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 8:43:44 PM   
elliotg

quote:

The planetary invasions are largely out of your control. However the timing of your troop transport ships dropping troops into the action can make a big difference to the outcome. If you can coordinate your ships to deploy your troops together they'll have a much bigger impact than if you deliver them piecemeal.

(in reply to Deomrve)
Post #: 56
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 8:53:39 PM   
elliotg

quote:

A large galaxy with lots of colonies and ships will be a bit slower than a smaller one.

But it's not a linear drop in performance - i.e. galaxies twice as big are NOT half the speed. Large, well-developed galaxies are quite playable.

For general performance improvement there are a number of game settings you can adjust, as Larry pointed out.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 57
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 8:56:37 PM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can you bombard the planet population from space.

No, your ships don't bombard enemy troops or population.

When attacking/invading a colony your ships are focussed on clearing defensive forces present in orbit, i.e. they take out defensive bases or space ports and any defending military ships. Your troop transport ships then drop off your troops onto the planet to battle it out with the defenders.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 58
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:01:36 PM   
Anguille

Elliot...sometimes i get the feeling that you never sleep ;)

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 59
RE: Question - 1/18/2010 9:05:47 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

No, your ships don't bombard enemy troops or population.

When attacking/invading a colony your ships are focussed on clearing defensive forces present in orbit, i.e. they take out defensive bases or space ports and any defending military ships. Your troop transport ships then drop off your troops onto the planet to battle it out with the defenders.

So you are forced to have alien scum into your empire?

Maybe some sort of fleet bombarding could be in an expansion pack.I think it is needed personally as I think it would be the more realistic option than landing troops.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI