Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/23/2010 6:31:02 PM   
Brigz

For those of you who subscribe to Netflix, the first episode of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is available for Instant Viewing. I'm pretty sure this is just to entice people to subscribe to Starz but who knows, maybe Netflix will offer more episodes for Instant Viewing.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Post #: 1
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/23/2010 6:58:38 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Kewl...checking it out.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 2
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/23/2010 7:46:01 PM   
leastonh1

Saw the trailer. Drooled a bit. It's filmed in the same style as 300 (awesome, awesome movie!) and looks to contain lots of sex and violence, set in gladatorial Rome. Can't wait to watch it. 

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/23/2010 11:22:45 PM   
Hanal

Watched it last night on Starz...Nice flesh and blood scenes but as with many series, one needs to reserve judgement until the story develops....

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 4
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/24/2010 12:57:47 AM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
Watched it last night on Starz...Nice flesh and blood scenes but as with many series, one needs to reserve judgement until the story develops....

I watched it earlier this evening on Starz too. It's an interesting start and I agree with you. This one has lots of potential to be a great series and I only hope they follow through. The first episode was well worth a watch.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 5
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/24/2010 2:20:38 AM   
Southernland

trouble is it was filmed (partially at least) here in New Zealand and some of the actors are off our mainstay local (read: lowest common denominator) soap so it'll be a little hard to take seriously

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 6
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/24/2010 3:58:33 AM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Southern_land

trouble is it was filmed (partially at least) here in New Zealand and some of the actors are off our mainstay local (read: lowest common denominator) soap so it'll be a little hard to take seriously

Just got though watching the first episode. I agree, the acting wasn't the best, but I enjoyed it. Definately mature escapism. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 7
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/25/2010 3:23:20 PM   
jackx

Should've been labelled: Spartacus: Blood and TnA ;)

That said, it has the same problem as 300, IMHO - way too much flash, and not visceral enough. It's basically not stylized violence, but stylized non-violence/dancing and twirling with random appearances of blood and gore, that magically appear after people swing their weapons to miss.
Surely if you spent the $$$ to drench your CGI scenery in CGI blood you could've spent the bit extra to use CGI weapons too, so that people could swing with intent without risking injury.

Hopefully it has a decent plot, because the above-mentioned "cool" action gets old very quickly.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 8
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/29/2010 7:17:55 AM   
ilovestrategy

I have a hard time watching anything with Spartacus or Hannibal. I'm such a Roman fan boy I hate seeing my homies get their posteriors handed to them! 

Well, the Romans win out in the end with both malcontents(that's a really mild way of describing them! ) but you know what I mean!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 9
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 1/29/2010 10:58:30 PM   
Brigz

Watched the second episode. It is pretty much made for TV fare as far as the acting and story go. Doesn't hold a candle to "I, Claudius" or "Rome". The story line seems more fantasy than history. It's holding my interest though. I'm going to keep watching mainly to see how the revolt is handled. Hopefully that will be more historical. Not a great series but I'm a sucker for anything with an ancient theme.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 10
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 2/20/2010 4:45:05 AM   
Brigz

I just watched episode five of this. It's holding my interest. Anyone else still watching it?

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 11
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 2/20/2010 10:42:28 PM   
jackx

Still watching, not too sure why. Somehow the predictable story has managed to hold my interest, and the action scenes have actually gotten better compared to the tedious twirling and waving about of swords of the first episode.
Clearly a fantasy series though, "vaguely inspired by media depictions of historical events"...
I guess it's my soft spot for Sword&Sorcery that's making me stick with this.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 12
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 2/21/2010 6:50:38 AM   
Phatguy

It has Lucy Lawless...me likey

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 13
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 3/13/2010 6:31:26 PM   
Hanal

So, with the series more than half way over, I have to say that I have been enjoying it! The story is keeping my interest and I have liked that the characters have not always responded and changed in cliched hollywood fashion. On the good news bad news front, the good news is that if you like the show, it has been renewed for another season. The unfortunate bad news is that the actor playing Spartacus, Andy Whitfield has been diagnosed with cancer and will be undergoing treatment, so obviously filming of the second season has been postponed.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 14
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 3/13/2010 6:55:28 PM   
Brigz

I'm still watching and enjoying it. Just watched the eighth epidsode. Even though it is basically a "soap opera" base on the Spartacus saga, it is entertaining. They are developing the characters well, and plenty of plot lines to balance out the sex and violence. They even seem to be cutting back on the sex and violence a bit. It's getting more and more that I eagerly wait for the next chapter.

That is a bummer about the lead actor having cancer. They say it is early detetion. However, it's too bad the second season will be postponed while he undergoes treatment.

Watching this series and playing Slitherines's 'Field of Glory' game has gotten me interested in ancient fiction novels. I just read the first book in Conn Iggulden's historical/fiction "Emperor" series about Julius Caesar. It's got me hooked. Just started the second book.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 15
RE: Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix - 3/13/2010 7:25:09 PM   
Southernland

yeah I think it's improving as it goes.  i wasn't expecting (Spoiler)... the wife to die so early.  i thought she's be held onto as bait. Spoiler ends

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Netflix Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI