Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curious

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Curious Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curious - 1/24/2010 5:24:07 PM   
Harbinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: AH4Ever
Holding off on WWII:ToW might be the best choice right now, there are a couple of issues that need hot fixes.

ORIGINAL: RandomAttack
IMO, it is a "good" game if you can suspend disbelief and just play it. As soon as you start "questioning"/looking under the hood there are so many anomalies that it will drive you nuts....I probably spend more time tracking down anomalies than playing...

I'm curious as to what "issues that need hot fixes" and "anomalies" are referred to.

Assume nothing.
Post #: 1
RE: Curious - 1/24/2010 5:58:39 PM   
RandomAttack

Where do I start?
- Problematic naval system.  Ex: Regardless of explanations, engagements (which units participate, etc.) seem virtually random. 
- Dozens of events in which you have to select an option without any clear explanation as to the repercussions.
- Weather (mod available)
- Air Strike CRT (see my post)

I'm not trying to disrespect the game.  I mostly like the gound portion, scale, hex-based, etc.  But when I first started playing I was incredibly frustrated with the above, and couldn't get past the feeling that a whole bunch of events were added just to mask/compensate for gameplay shortcomings.  And while I really appreciate the developers' availability & help, there's always a hint of "well, the event system is really complex and you are not supposed to know everything".  If "everything" is so randomized, of what use is strategy??

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 2
RE: Curious - 1/24/2010 6:33:11 PM   
Harbinger

One could start by being more specific.

Naval:
What is "problematic"?

Units that participate are not "random". Only Sea Zones that have enemy units will have a chance at naval combat. There is nothing "random" about this. Which of these units may or may not participate is not "random" either. The chance for each unit is equal to the type of fleet (Regular/Raider) and the type of unit (CV,BB,CA,SS) based on each types percentage of detection.

I agree that the Naval system needs improvement, basically more interface, interaction and displayed information.

Events:
I agree that the Events are woefully inadequate when it comes to an explanation of options. A general accounting of Events and their descriptions would prove helpful to nearly all players. Relying on a players knowledge of WWII events in Europe, and forcing players to actually play the game in order to discover for themselves these events and possible triggers, while interesting, is not conducive to the genre of "Grand Strategy". Neither is the requirement of knowing or learning a programming code to be able to read the dozens of event files with thousands of lines of code for such knowledge reasonable to expect.

Weather:
Could you be any more vague as to what "anomalies" you are referring to here?

Air Strike CRT:
Without the link, I do not know which post you are referring to.

If anything, the game falls short in the presentation or lack of information one would reasonably expect to have on which to formulate a coherent strategy. Actual mechanics, while could be tweaked here and there for ease of play, are not what most have issues with.

My thanks are to those who have done the .csv and Event research and provided their findings in this forum for the rest of us.

Assume nothing.

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 3
RE: Curious - 1/24/2010 10:00:14 PM   
RandomAttack

Gee, you seem kind of defensive... 
These are my opinions and I stand by them.  These 3 were only examples, there are many more issues.  Agree or disagree at your leisure.

Naval: When I form one huge fleet and it routinely engages in combat but gets crushed because only 10% of that fleet actually FIGHTS, then there is a problem.  And this is not a rare occurence-- it happens to me more often than not.  While it may not be truly "random", in effect it might as well be.   Maybe "ridiculous" or "unrealistic" is a more accurate term.  There is essentially little strategy at all.  EX: I have a 15-unit group fighting a 6-unit group, but only 3 of my units engage 5 of his, and I get pounded.  That's b.s.  Maybe once in awhile might be acceptable -- but not routinely. 

Weather:  I'm talking about virtually the entire continent being rain/mud/snow for huge periods of time.  Not to mention the "every other hex" pattern of weather that often occurs.  The argument has been made by several folks (not just me) that militarily significant weather is what ought to be portrayed.  The wx problem has been thoroughly explored/discussed in various threads-- it was not my intent to provide a dissertation.  If you like the wx the way it is, drive on & have fun.  I personally think it is "broken" in vanila, and am glad there is a mod for it.

Air Strike CRT: It's on the first page and was just posted, so a link seemed needless.

I disagree with you about the mechanics.  I think that the presentation/lack of info masks many of the mechanics problems. 

My thanks are to all the folks who have developed mods that have fixed some of this.

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Curious Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI