Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wake

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Wake Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wake - 1/26/2010 11:15:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wake continues to hold. A trickle of supply is getting in from Midway via 3 PBY's. None of the Wildcats are flying. I have ordered another squadron of PBY's at Midway to try to get out some base force personnel.

Thre were at least 2 carriers standing off to the South pounding the field. They appear to have left...? for Truk.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 121
RE: Wake - 1/26/2010 11:31:44 PM   
ny59giants

You might consider pulling your Devastators from a CV or two and replacing them with a squadron of Marine fighters. Survivabilty is the key early in the game as the Allies.

Naval search - you migth want some overlap on your search arcs with multiple squadrons doing the search. Expecting 1 PBY to find every ship in their 10 degress of search is asking a lot. Knowing the coders sense of humor, the critical arc will be covered by the pilot with the least amount of experience in the squadron and miss the enemy fleet.

Post #: 122
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 8:50:50 AM   
sprior

Poor old Java took 2 up the chuff but was lady enough not to go down. I wouldn't have minded but she was cuddling up to darwin at the time.

Meanwhile the Grey Funnel Line gets lost, obviously using charts from when Noah was a boy, and have been orederd back to Soerabaya. They will defend Kendari and Ambon when the time comes but proceeding to Mendano was just a step too far.

The tourists rae taking the coastal road all the way to Singers, or so it would appear. Binns minor was sent to deflate their bike tyres but seems to have become distracted behind the bike sheds.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 123
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 4:52:31 PM   
BrucePowers

I understood the last post.

Does that mean I am in trouble?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 124
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 5:04:27 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Then youre certainly doing better than I am.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 125
Huffy Brigade - 1/27/2010 6:17:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 126
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 7:02:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Perhaps this would help. A lexicon:

Grey Funnel Line = Force Z

"took 2 up the chuff" = 2 torpedoes amidships or possibly a reference to a bizarre sexual practice dating to bilblical times.

"rae" = are

Singers = Singapore

Binns minor = a secret, elite pedagogic commando unit..you know..sort of like the cockleshell heroes

tyre = tire, a pneumatic wheel

Post #: 127
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 11:36:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Perhaps this would help. A lexicon:

Grey Funnel Line = Force Z

"took 2 up the chuff" = 2 torpedoes amidships or possibly a reference to a bizarre sexual practice dating to bilblical times.

"rae" = are

Singers = Singapore

Binns minor = a secret, elite pedagogic commando unit..you know..sort of like the cockleshell heroes

tyre = tire, a pneumatic wheel

Cuddling?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 128
RE: Wake - 1/27/2010 11:46:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Cuddling?

Cuddling = something often attempted by the Pongos prior to receiving approval for final docking

Post #: 129
RE: Wake - 1/28/2010 1:08:36 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

Cuddling = something often attempted by the Pongos prior to receiving approval for final docking
My preacher warned me about that when I was 16!

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 130
RE: Wake - 1/28/2010 1:10:43 AM   
sprior

Someone dropped their bus ticket, that's one less Japanese soldier in Honky Fidd!

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 131
RE: Wake - 1/28/2010 1:51:40 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Someone dropped their bus ticket, that's one less Japanese soldier in Honky Fidd!

Caller:

"W" ... "U" ... "6" ... "7" ... "8" ... "9" ...

Player in back:

"Bingro!"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 132
Japanese HOV Code J-25 - 1/28/2010 8:36:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******USN Radio Intelligence Center, Honolulu, December 16, 1941********

LtCmdr Joseph Rocherfort: ...right, so, I think there is general agreement this is far more than a bus ticket. A bus ticket to invade Hong Kong? Please. What do they take us for, idiots? Tom, I want you to work on the assumption the "WU" is some type of code prefix. Bill, you start on the numbers. Assume this is related to Imperial Japanese Army transmissions. I want a calculation of the average character length for all intercepted South Asia IJA transmissions since Dec 1. Then I want you to calculate a Poisson probability for the character length in this message. Got it? <all nod> Good. Right..let's get to work!

Bill: After work, a couple of us guys were gonna get dressed up in our dress whites and go down to the bar at the Royal Hawaiian and try to get laid?

LtCmdr Joseph Rocherfort: Oh, gee thanks guys, but no. I just got my hands on a new translation of Leibnitz's working papers on the development of differential equations. I've been dying to crack it open.

Post #: 133
RE: Wake - 1/28/2010 10:08:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Cuddling?

But when it involves a cruiser and a town.....I dont think I want that mental image.

Post #: 134
RE: Wake - 1/28/2010 10:09:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Honky Fidd!

Care to have a swing at this one Mandrake?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 135
RE: Wake - 1/29/2010 10:15:27 AM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

Honky Fidd!

Even a pongo would be able to get HK

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 136
RE: Wake - 1/29/2010 5:32:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Honky Fidd!

I think I have it. I believe he is referring to white children with Fetal Iodine Deficiency Disorder (FIDD), also known as Endemic Cretinism.

I know it sounds a bit funny, the Cretinism part, but it is really quite tragic. Many potential strategic wargame players are lost for all time and are relegated to first person shooter games because of the disease.

Post #: 137
Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 6:12:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So I splurged (because my old car had 195K miles on the original engine) and got myself a new 5 series. Needless to say the thing is fun to drive. Anyway, so I go out to dinner and have two martinis and a bunch of pasta and I am driving back home and I come up to the 405 to 133 interchange and it has this really fun onramp. Hey, I was powerless to resist.

So I am going about 60 on the 25 MPH onrmap and all four wheels are starting to drift and I get to the top and there is a distinct crown in the road and...whoa. Long story short I smack into this little curb with both driver side wheels and knock out the front end alignment and gouge the front rim. Bloody Hell!

I don't really want to tell my insurance company so I just go down to the BMW dealership for my pennance. The pennance amounted to about $1100 after I had to replace one rim and tire (tyre). But that is not good enough for them. They want to sell me 100% nitrogen for my tires (tyres).

"How much for that?", I ask.

"$40 Mr. Mandrake"

"$40 dollars for nitrogen, are you kidding?"

"No sir, it's 100% nitrogen. It's supposed to last longer."

"Eons, I imagine."

"Sir?"

"OK, how about this, the tires (tyres) have compressed air already, right?"

"Yes sir"

"And air is 78% Nitrogen or so."

<cautiously> "Yes."

"Right, so I will sell you the air in my tires (tyres) for 80% of $40, that's $30, and that leaves mostly Oxygen, you guys could set up an oxygen bar for the clients, that's got to be worth at least $10 or so. Then we are even. Y'all can have the argon for free."

"I wouldn't know how to write that up. How about I just throw in the Nitrogen Service as a courtesy?"

"SPLENDID!"

Post #: 138
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 6:16:38 PM   
Mynok

Do you have gypsy blood in you?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 139
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 8:47:35 PM   
khyberbill

Mandrake is the common name for members of the plant genus Mandragora belonging to the nightshades family. Because mandrake contains deliriant hallucinogenic tropane alkaloids such as hyoscyamine and the roots sometimes contain bifurcations causing them to resemble human figures, their roots have long been used in magic rituals, today also in neopagan religions such as Wicca and Germanic revivalism religions such as Odinism. AE might also be construed as a neopagan religion.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 140
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 9:07:37 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

I don't really want to tell my insurance company...

Nah. "Potholes" are a comprehensive loss (as long as you phrase your loss report very carefully), which is, by definition non-surchargable (act of God, etc).

On the bright side, though, you did get some nice tyres out of it.

Post #: 141
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 9:08:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

Mandrake is the common name for members of the plant genus Mandragora belonging to the nightshades family. Because mandrake contains deliriant hallucinogenic tropane alkaloids such as hyoscyamine and the roots sometimes contain bifurcations causing them to resemble human figures, their roots have long been used in magic rituals, today also in neopagan religions such as Wicca and Germanic revivalism religions such as Odinism. AE might also be construed as a neopagan religion.

Whoa!

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 142
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 9:50:48 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Nah. "Potholes" are a comprehensive loss (as long as you phrase your loss report very carefully), which is, by definition non-surchargable (act of God, etc).

BY ODIN! Potholes! I didn't even think of that.

Post #: 143
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 11:32:36 PM   
WITPPL

quote:

I know that this is true but i can not help myself

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 144
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 11:55:06 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

Whoa!

It's like Harry Potter meets Tanaka!

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 145
RE: Nitrogen - 1/29/2010 11:56:38 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

quote:

BY ODIN! Potholes! I didn't even think of that.

No, no, ODIN is not neopagan. He is old pagan. Original pagan. You are wanting something like Winehouse or O'Donnell.

Post #: 146
"Send more Japs...well...on second thought" - 1/30/2010 6:12:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I am thinking of asking for a do over because wake fell 6 days earlier than the historical outcome. At least they kept a couple of carriers busy training up their pilots for a week or two.

I did get a couple of hundred base support personnel out to Midway by PBY during the lull. The private contractors, on the other hand, are on their own.

The cast of characters:

Alan Hale Jr. ... Sight setter (uncredited) (The Skipper)

Paul Fung ... Japanese Pilot (uncredited)
Luke Chan ... Japanese Admiral (uncredited)
Spencer Chan ... Japanese Captain (uncredited)
Paul Fung ... Japanese Pilot (uncredited)
Pete G. Katchenaro... Japanese Officer Huh? Who hired this guy? MAKEUP!
Tommy Lee ... Japanese Pilot (before he met Pam I think)
Richard Loo ... Mr. Saburo Kurusu (uncredited)
Bruce Wong ... Japanese Captain (uncredited)
Frank Wong ... Japanese Pilot (uncredited)
Victor Wong ... Japanese Commander (uncredited)

(The three Wong brothers were on their way to a ping pong tournament when they were "discovered" at Pico and Sepulveda. The casting director yelled from an adjoining car at the stoplight, "HEY! Yous three guys wanna work in a movie?"

There can be little doubt why the first landing went badly. Nobody could understand the orders in Japanese.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035530/fullcredits#cast

Post #: 147
RE: "Send more Japs...well...on second thought" - 1/30/2010 6:24:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"Happier times on Wake. Civilians contractors relax on a break"

Attachment (1)

Post #: 148
Luzon - 1/30/2010 7:13:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Situation Luzon: The main Japanese thrust now appears from Aparri. It could be a feint to induce me to move to far for forward and then land behind me in the Gulf of Lingayen, but I doubt it with the size of the force in Northeastern Luzon. I am going to try to engage his forces in detail in the mountains East of Clark.

Manila doesn't seem seriously threatened yet from the South.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 149
RE: Nitrogen - 1/30/2010 8:19:52 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

So I splurged (because my old car had 195K miles on the original engine) and got myself a new 5 series. Needless to say the thing is fun to drive. Anyway, so I go out to dinner and have two martinis and a bunch of pasta and I am driving back home and I come up to the 405 to 133 interchange and it has this really fun onramp. Hey, I was powerless to resist.

So I am going about 60 on the 25 MPH onrmap and all four wheels are starting to drift and I get to the top and there is a distinct crown in the road and...whoa. Long story short I smack into this little curb with both driver side wheels and knock out the front end alignment and gouge the front rim. Bloody Hell!

I don't really want to tell my insurance company so I just go down to the BMW dealership for my pennance. The pennance amounted to about $1100 after I had to replace one rim and tire (tyre). But that is not good enough for them. They want to sell me 100% nitrogen for my tires (tyres).

"How much for that?", I ask.

"$40 Mr. Mandrake"

"$40 dollars for nitrogen, are you kidding?"

"No sir, it's 100% nitrogen. It's supposed to last longer."

"Eons, I imagine."

"Sir?"

"OK, how about this, the tires (tyres) have compressed air already, right?"

"Yes sir"

"And air is 78% Nitrogen or so."

<cautiously> "Yes."

"Right, so I will sell you the air in my tires (tyres) for 80% of $40, that's $30, and that leaves mostly Oxygen, you guys could set up an oxygen bar for the clients, that's got to be worth at least $10 or so. Then we are even. Y'all can have the argon for free."

"I wouldn't know how to write that up. How about I just throw in the Nitrogen Service as a courtesy?"

"SPLENDID!"

Snicker....snicker....snicker

Don't buy the nitrogen..........................................(now if you can get them to give it to you for free)................

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Wake Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI