Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FITE T10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE T10 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FITE T10 - 1/19/2010 6:31:19 PM   
larryfulkerson

I like to zoom out enough to see all the territory I own in a glance just to check for the presence of new partisans.  This one-glance-looking will only work if you've converted all the hexes behind your lines to your ownership.  I found out that the hard way one time. 

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 61
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 2:41:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

Did I tell you guys that I'm learning HTML? Well, I found out about sensitive area maps where you can designate areas on your image that you can click on and go to another web page to learn more about that area. So I've built a reference map that includes everything and designated areas as sensitive so that a person can click within the pink rectangle to learn more about that area, such as known Soviet arty tubes that aren't visible yet, the names of the Soviet units that have been discovered so far, things like that.
The picture below is an example of the reference map I'm using. I expect my html downloads will grow in size but will be more flexible and powerful and bring more power to the writers of AAR's as an example of what you can do.

EDIT: I'm using this tool myself to keep track of which Soviet arty tubes are active and which have been unentrenched and are therefore inactive. It's better than keeping written notes. Plus whenever the status changes I just grab another screenshot and update the picture and verbage almost instantly.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/20/2010 10:47:58 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 62
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 6:22:27 AM   
Da_Huge_D

Sounds great Fulkerson. Keep your good stuff coming!

Post #: 63
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 12:09:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the code you have to use to create a reference map sensitive to mouse clicks:

<image src="http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49864_yjbad/turn%2011%20reference%20map.GIF" usemap="#mymap" order=0></image>

<map name="mymap">

<area shape = rect coords="564,1010,705,1074"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49869_whjhz/mogilev.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="91,76,2412,154"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49877_f0ugh/south%20of%20murmansk.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="567,695,726,800"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49871_4iqxt/novel.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="481,1896,678,1999"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49872_yq9ll/odessa.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="554,906,730,965"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49873_2ohum/orsha.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="149,1185,309,1325"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49874_pl5ai/partisans.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="486,487,658,566"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49875_wekcs/porkov.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="605,1281,737,1384"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49876_npzyo/shchors.html"
      target = "_blank"

<area shape = rect coords="561,1097,718,1172"
      href = "http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49867_bewsf/Zhlobin.html"
      target = "_blank"

</map>

EDIT: I need to leave this up until Ralph has a chance to read it. After that I'll delete this post unless somebody wants to see it again and again and again....

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/20/2010 12:15:14 PM >

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 64
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 3:36:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's some data from Turn 11 that you guys can peruse while I finish the AAR and do the rest of my moves

http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49921_tb4im/forum.html

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/20/2010 3:38:55 PM >

Post #: 65
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 3:59:24 PM   
Josh

That's stunning Larry, I've seen nothing like this before. Impressive, what's the next step? Sensitive areas where you can go directly to a site showing the troops/armour used in the battle? Or a sensitive area where you can go, via googles Earth View, to see the historical battleground?
What's that picture in your Sig? Can't recognize it.... some sort of Art gun? They're loading a shell I see, but I have no clue as to what it is.

Oh, forgot to mention, the link in your post above *does* have ONE sensitive area. There are more rectangles, but only one is clickable.

< Message edited by Josh -- 1/20/2010 4:00:41 PM >

Post #: 66
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 5:28:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh
That's stunning Larry, I've seen nothing like this before. Impressive, what's the next step? Sensitive areas where you can go directly to a site showing the troops/armour used in the battle?

I thought it was kinda stunning too. So I thought I'd share it with you guys. The next step I guess could be a web page you could get by clicking on one of the target Soviet units so you could see the battle(s) results that have occured to that Soviet unit and therefore how many of what type of equipment it has. It occurs to me that I'm building a database where the data is contained in the pictures. The TOAW engine will give you the information for YOUR units but you can gain information about enemy units only by attacking them, either via land or air or sea ( in the combat results ).

quote:

Or a sensitive area where you can go, via googles Earth View, to see the historical battleground?

Hey, I hadn't thought of that. That's a pretty good idea. You could see the 'lay of the land' that way and maybe plan better ( or not since the map may not reflect the exact types of terrain in that area ).

quote:

What's that picture in your Sig? Can't recognize it.... some sort of Art gun? They're loading a shell I see, but I have no clue as to what it is.

That's the job I had in the USAF. Those four guys are Spectre Gunners and they are loading a 105mm shell into the 105mm Howitzer on an AC-130U Spectre gunship. The dude in the back holds a clip of 40mm shells, ( 4 to a clip ).

quote:

Oh, forgot to mention, the link in your post above *does* have ONE sensitive area. There are more rectangles, but only one is clickable.

Wow, that's strange. I tested the link(s) again just now and they worked for me. Which one is the one that DID work ( that will indirectly tell me which ones don't work )? Um....as you can see in the picture below I've set that entire folder to "Public" and so anyone should be able to browse and / or download any of the files. Did your connection time-out? How long did you wait to see if it was going to work? Anybody else have that kind of problem? What was the symptom...I mean what was it that convinces you that they 'didn't work'? This isn't the first time that you've had a problem with my files but the first time I had the folder on 'private' instead of 'public' and this time that's not the problem. Hmmm..........???

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 67
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 10:12:40 PM   
Josh

Yes strange indeed. This is the only one that appears clickable on my screen: http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49869_whjhz/mogilev.html, the one around Mogilev. The rest does nothing. Oh well, maybe it's just my pc. Then again, if it *does* not work properly... it would be ashame indeed that other readers won't be able to use this extremely cool feature too. I've never seen this in the many AAR's I've read sofar. It adds "in-depth" to an AAR so to speak. It adds an aspect of three-dimensions to a two dimensional picture. And you can put anything in it you want, even an Eastern egg.
Well the reason I think they didn't work for me was because there was nothing to click on..., right-click didn't do anything either.
Anyways, this feature does open a whole new array of possibilities... if one is creative enough that is.

Hm, I count thirteen Gif files in your post, but there are eleven sensitive areas in this ( http://www.mydatanest.com/files/larryfulkerson/49921_tb4im/forum.html) screen? Is that correct?

By the way, that's an extremely cool aeroplane Larry, awesome

< Message edited by Josh -- 1/20/2010 10:13:45 PM >

Post #: 68
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 10:57:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

Um......I can't imagine why it works on my PC and not on yours.  What browser are you using?  I'm using FireFox the best browser in the world and it's free.  I can't publish an AAR that can't be used by even one person.  I want everybody to be able to read it.  I'm not through with the turn 11 AAR yet but this is what I have so far.....try it out and see if it works when you don't need an internet connection.  You can download the beta version ( unfinished, work in progress, etc. ) from here:

[Edit: updated the download to the version that includes all of round 1:]

http://www.filedropper.com/dahdfitegameturn11

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/21/2010 4:43:14 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 69
RE: FITE T11 - 1/20/2010 11:18:50 PM   
Qbec

Josh ,you are not alone , I have the same problem to. Sorry Larry !

Qbec

Post #: 70
RE: FITE T11 - 1/21/2010 1:01:37 AM   
desert

I can confirm that only Mogilev works with IE. All are visible with Firefox.

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to Qbec)
Post #: 71
RE: FITE T11 - 1/21/2010 2:12:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

This is the only one that appears clickable on my screen...the one around Mogilev. The rest does nothing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qbec
Josh ,you are not alone , I have the same problem to. Sorry Larry !

quote:

ORIGINAL: desert
I can confirm that only Mogilev works with IE. All are visible with Firefox.

Well, that's it then...I'm sticking to the download version only. Maybe there's a setting you guys use in your browser(s) that prevents pop-up windows from opening. Well, no that can't be it because Mogilev opens. Hmmmmm........????

I've asked you guys to download the unfinished version ( found in a post above ) and see if it works for you 'cause it's a non-internet version and it works on my machine perfectly. I'm using it to keep track of Soviet arty tubes. I hope you don't have any problems with the non-internet version. It'd be too bad if we can't publish AAR's this way; it's so cool to be able to click on an area in a picture and get another web page to open with further information about that area. Lemme know if the non-internet version works, will you?

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 72
RE: FITE T11 - 1/21/2010 2:40:00 AM   
Qbec

Yes the unfinished version work nice ( the second). For the other, I use internet explorer and It's seem that is the problem.

Post #: 73
RE: FITE T11 - 1/21/2010 2:50:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qbec
Yes the unfinished version work nice ( the second). For the other, I use internet explorer and It's seem that is the problem.

Well thank you for that Qbec. Instead of using a browser that is broken why don't you guys download Firefox. It's faster than IE and doesn't have the security problems that IE has and it's free. I've been using it ever since I caught a virus over the net about three years ago. You can download FireFox from here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 1/21/2010 11:02:38 AM >

(in reply to Qbec)
Post #: 74
RE: FITE T11 - 1/22/2010 1:56:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys:

below is an example of a table of the attacks that took place with a link to another web page that shows the attack results. Are you guys interested in seeing the attack results? I suspect Dave might be but I'm wondering if the rest of you are. I don't mind including it in the document but it's making the download much bigger. I'm on round 3 now in the game and already the download is over 9M bytes big. Just a thought.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 75
RE: FITE T11 - 1/22/2010 7:04:01 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well....I finally finished my Axis turn 11 moves.  It took me three days this time because I was building the AAR at the same time and the AAR is over 12M bytes big.  Lots of pictures and stuff.  This AAR is the one that has the mouse click sensitive images that you can click on to get more information about the area where you clicked.  Did I tell you I'm learning html?  Next thing I need to learn is frames so I can put some frames in the AAR as well.  You can find the Axis turn 11 AAR here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mknikij3t5j

Post #: 76
RE: FITE T11 - 1/22/2010 10:20:53 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Here's overall picture and fronts sectors marked:

Current fronts and their armies & Mechanised Cps listed below (list going as ordered from North to south)

Northern Front:
-Currently, no armies. Only some NKVD's divisions and militia divisions (straight under front's command)

Leningrad Front:
-23. Army (@ defensive positions behind Narva-river)
-27. Army (@ defensive line on Pskov, west edge between the lakes)
-34. Army (Supporting 27. A)
-10. Mech. Cps (@ defensive line, between the lakes)
-55. Army (@ defensive line, between the lakes)
-7. Army (@ defensive line, around Shimsk, east edge between the lakes)

Northwest Front:
-8. Army (@ defensive line, south of lake Ilmen)
-54. Army (@ defensive line, behind Lovat-river)

Kalinin Front:
-43. Army (@ defensive line, on Kholm, behind Lovat-river)
-29. Army (@ defensive line, behind Lovat-river)
-11. Army (@ defensive line, north of Velikie Luki)
-3. Army (@ defensive line, around Velikie Luki)
-31. Army (@ defensive line, south of Velikie Luki)
-7. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, around Nevel)
-49. Army (@ defensive line, south of Nevel)
-21. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, north of Vitebsk)

Western Front:
-22. Army (@ defensive line around Vitebsk)
-5. Army (Building new line on around Smolensk)
-20. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, south of Vitebsk)
-20. Army (@ defensive line, north of Orsha)
-50. Army (@ defensive line, around Orsha)
-13. Army (@ defensive line, south of Orsha)
-32. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)
-17. Mech Cps (Supporting 32. A)

Moscow Front:
-24. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river, around Mogilev)
-58. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river, around Bykhov)
-14. Mech Cps (Supporting 58. A)
-21. Army (@ defensive line, around Zhobin)
-10. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)

Bryansk Front:
-38. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)
-48. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)

Orel Front:
-23. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, holding bridgeheads, behind Dnepr-river)
-5. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, holding bridgeheads, behind Dnepr-river)
-30. Army (@ defensive line, holding bridgeheads, behind Dnepr-river)
-25. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, holding bridgeheads, behind Dnepr-river)

Southern Front:
-16. Army (@ defensive line, on Kiev)
-2. Shock Army (@ defensive line, on Kiev)
-19. Army (@ defensive line, south of Kiev, behind Dnepr-river)
-66. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)
-56. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)
-33. Army (@ defensive line, behind Dnepr-river)

Kharkov Front:
-28. Army (@ defensive line, around Cherkassy)
-26. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)
-18. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)
-40. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river, around Kirovograd)

Southern Front:
-46. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)
-37. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river, around Novy Bug)
-6. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)

Crimean Front:
-26. Mech Cps (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)
-51. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river, on Nikolaev)
-51. Army (@ defensive line, behind Ingul-river)
-2. Mech Cps (@ Odessa line)
-9. Sep. Army (@ Odessa line)
-18. Mech Cps (@ Odessa line)

Armies in GHQ (Stavka's) reserve:
-65. Army (Regrouping to Bryansk)
-4. Army (Regrouping to Moscow after divisions are reconstructed)
-5. Shock Army (Staying as reserve-army in Moscow)
-28. Mech Cps (Regrouping to Zaporozhe)
-1. Tank Cps (Currently, have only 1 mot. brigade, so it stays reserve in Moscow)
+WHOLE Transcaucasus Front (Including 44. A, 45. A & 47. A) These armies are fixed, so they will stay there.
+ Some invidual NKVD's + other stuff (arty, MP regiments, Airbrone brigades etc.)

Ps. Note, that most of these armies are currently only several divisions, because mobilisation of Soviet army just started (more coming as game goes on...)

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/22/2010 10:28:24 PM >

Post #: 77
RE: FITE T11 - 1/22/2010 10:49:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Dave:
Nice picture of the front lines. Better than the one I was going to post. Um.....I made about 75 attacks in turn 11 and gained about, well, 1 hex. I made a hole and shoved a regiment into it as you can see from the picture below. Dave has some really good defensive lines and has made good use of his arty and it's slow going from now on I suspect. The good news is that I lost less than 600 HRS's this turn. I didn't do a whole lot of attacking...mostly waiting for the aircraft to unentrench the Soviet arty so I could more safely attack. Trouble with that method is that it takes a lot of time and I lose a lot of planes. Well, that's why I pay those fly-boys hazardous duty pay. The guys that finished off the Stalin Line remnants are still resting but soon they will head SouthEast and tackle the Kiev area and points south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 78
RE: FITE T12 - 1/22/2010 10:58:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

Wow.....Dave returns his moves less than 6 hours after I send my moves to him. This guy is a TOAW machine. I appreciate it Dave.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 79
RE: FITE T12 - 1/23/2010 2:26:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

Is there a reader out there who doesn't have a frames-capable browser?  I'm thinking of publishing an AAR that uses frames.  I have an example that can be downloaded and tried out if you want to.  You can find the example here:
http://www.filedropper.com/dahdfitegameturn12

This is NOT the final Axis turn 12 AAR....just a beta version of a frames-style AAR.  Please lemme know if there's a problem with it.  I'm learning html can you tell?

Post #: 80
RE: FITE T12 - 1/23/2010 6:56:36 AM   
el cid

One question to you experts in Fite.

I hear many people complain that Fite is over in the first year, and hardly anybody makes it to the second year.

Do you think is because the Germans try to push too hard and passes to the defensive too late and by the time the soviets take the ofensive the german line of defense is too long and the units are too worn?

I am playing an scenario of the Bulge, and I think I have pushed to far, and when teh allies begun to take strenght, my units were just too weak, and now there just no way of stopping them

Post #: 81
RE: FITE T12 - 1/23/2010 8:54:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid
One question to you experts in Fite.

I don't know that I'm an expert in FITE but I'll be glad to try to answer your question.

quote:

I hear many people complain that Fite is over in the first year, and hardly anybody makes it to the second year.

Do you think is because the Germans try to push too hard and passes to the defensive too late and by the time the soviets take the ofensive the german line of defense is too long and the units are too worn?

I am playing an scenario of the Bulge, and I think I have pushed to far, and when teh allies begun to take strenght, my units were just too weak, and now there just no way of stopping them

That's probably what happens in the majority of the cases. Are you playing August Fog? If not you simply have to give it a try....it's great. I'm one of the playtesters and I love it. Steve Sill outdid himself ( again ) and produced a real gem of a scenario. It's so good I predict that it has the potential to become one of the classic TOAW scenarios. Plus the map is pretty.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 82
RE: FITE T12 - 1/23/2010 3:39:23 PM   
el cid

The one I am playing is Ardennes 1944. I would say is mid size.

The one you talk about I do not have. Is it available somewhere?

Post #: 83
RE: FITE T12 - 1/23/2010 4:42:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

The one you talk about [August Fog]I do not have. Is it available somewhere?

You can either get it from me or Steve Sill (sPzAbt653). My email address is
larryfulkerson2002(at)yahoo(dot)com. If you'll email me I'd be glad to reply with August Fog as an attachment.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 84
RE: FITE T12 - 1/24/2010 11:03:15 AM   
SMK-at-work

IMO one of the problems with FITE is that it is too big for the game system - it is good for the operational aspects, but not so good for the strategic ones & doesn't handle things like strategic supply all that well - just o be even more contentious (as an example..;)) IMO there was no chance the Axis taking Moscow in 1941  IMO - they were literally at the end of the supply chain, and although games almost always give them some chance (otherwise where's the fun in playing the Axis??) it's not "realistic".

When I was helping Buzz test his mods we got as far as about T82, but then TO's started falling apart, there were too many errors in the system, etc - trying to set TO's for all the possible strategic options must be a nightmare for the people game enough to try it!!

Also FITE is just a freakin' long game, and people change their priorities as life progresses!! :/

Post #: 85
RE: FITE T12 - 1/24/2010 11:23:30 AM   
larryfulkerson

Roger that SMK-at-work.  I hear you.  I feel your pain.  But the good news is that I finally got through with Axis turn 12.  And I got the new version of AAR finished.  It's frames this time and it's faster to build on my end.  Maybe you guys will like it better than the old style.  You can find it here:

http://www.filedropper.com/dahdfitegameturn12_1

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 86
RE: FITE T12 - 1/27/2010 12:08:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis turn 13 AAR is finished.  I made some gains here and there and it's getting more and more exciting.  Kiev is a focus of attention.  Odessa got some action again.  The Gomel area was the site of some carnage.  You can find the AAR here:

http://www.filedropper.com/dahdfitegameturn13

Post #: 87
RE: FITE T12 - 1/27/2010 12:33:16 PM   
fogger

Hi El Cid
I am currently on turn 89 (26 Apr 42) as the Germans and I am currently on "a significant Victory" level. How ever it is unlikely that "Case Blue" will win the war so my best hope is to win by holding out until turn 406.

At our current rate this game should finish in the next 3 to 4 months and then Larry and I have agree to a game if neither of us are burnt out by then.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to el cid)
Post #: 88
RE: FITE T12 - 1/27/2010 12:52:41 PM   
Da_Huge_D

13. Turn done by me also. Have to say that situation is going down badly, Larry is going thru all over. LOL
Odessa situation. City won't hold long, Rumanians broke up lines much guicker than i thought:

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/27/2010 1:28:31 PM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 89
RE: FITE T12 - 1/27/2010 1:09:52 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Picture from Southwest front. Note, Larry bring some Panzers there, and he might try to get thru' the line ASAP. So i need to carry out more some reinforcements immidiately into that area!

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 1/27/2010 1:29:18 PM >

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: FITE T10 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI