Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Free Hex editor software!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Free Hex editor software! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 2:21:30 AM   
hellfirejet

For anyone who is curious about all those hard to open computer files,Now you can open and inspect all those DAT FILES etc with ease,this software is not a toy so beware if altering any files.

http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Products/home/hex-editor-free.html

Empires in Arms
Released: December 5, 2007

Just over 2 years has passed since game release,with very little change to the naval game,apart from evasion/pursuit added,The naval game as everyone knows is shocking and total garbage,with next to nothing accurate or even remotely possible as per history, so with that in mind,and with repeated requests by me and others, to Marshall to look at improving the naval game,which have been for the most part ignored, I have been left with no alternative,but to try and alter it myself.

For personal reason ie to please me,I'm going to have 2 versions of Empires in arms on my pc the official version that everyone uses,and my own version for personal use only, with which I will attempt with trial and error to change the naval game to my own specification,which will have four types of naval vessels.

Heavy = 3 DECKERS 1st & 2nd rates
Medium = 2 DECKERS 3rd & 4th rates
Light = 1 DECK Frigates,Sloops etc
Merchant = Renamed transport.

8.1 Ship Types
Four types of ships are available: Heavy, Medium, Light & Merchant.

8.1.1 Heavy Ships

These represent 3 DECKER 1st & 2nd rate ships of the line, the big ships with big guns. If a side of a naval combat has 1.5 times more heavy ships than the other.

It receives a +2 to the random number chosen, between 1 and 6 on the Naval combat table.

Each heavy ship is capable of carrying 1 1/2 cavalry factor or 3 factor of any other type permitted to be transported by sea, following the rules of naval transport.

Heavy ships cost $8 and 1 manpower, taking 12 months to build to commission.

8.1.2 Medium Ships

These represent 2 DECKER 3rd & 4th rate ships of the line,they are the maid of all work,able to perform any task asked of them,whether it be fighting in Naval battles even against Heavy ships or on blockade duty of enemy ports.

It receives a +1 to the random number chosen, between 1 and 6 on the Naval combat table.

Each medium ship is capable of carrying 1 cavalry factor or 2 factor of any other type permitted to be transported by sea, following the rules of naval transport.

Medium ships cost $6 and 1 manpower, taking 9 months to build to commission.

8.1.3 Light ships

These represent 5th & 6th rate Frigates + Sloops etc, which would perform anti-piracy operations, act as scouts for the heavy & medium ships and occasionally participate in major battles.

If a side consists solely of light ships, it receives a -2 to the random number chosen, between 1 and 6, on the Naval combat table.

Each light ship is capable of carrying only 1/2 infantry factor that is permitted to be transported by sea,following the rules of naval transport.

Piracy and anti-piracy has been simplified to be standard light ships only and can be added to either the piracy mission, at which point the major nation can target the Major Power of choice (to inflict losses on trade),or by adding them to anti-piracy operations and defending their own commerce from piracy.

Light ships cost $4 and 1 manpower, taking 6 months to build.

8.1.4 Merchants
Merchants represent ships designed specifically to transport troops. Each Major Power has the ability to build two naval merchant fleets.

Each merchant factor is capable of carrying 1/2 cavalry factor or 1 factor of any other type permitted
to be transported by sea, following the rules of naval transport.

Merchants do not participate in any form of naval combat. If the stack of which they are a part,
participates in combat, they are treated as not being present.

The only exception to this is if all other light and heavy ships in their stack become either damaged or sunk, the merchants (and any passengers) are captured.

If the stack of which they are a part, retreats, the merchants move with the stack.

Merchants cost $2 and 1 manpower, taking 3 months to build.

I also will try to alter the % losses sustained in battle as the stock game is excessive to say the least.

I will also try to add additional Admirals for all Nations with fleets!

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 1/29/2010 4:00:07 AM >

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Post #: 1
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 12:29:48 PM   
pzgndr

Some caution is needed here.  It's nice to be able to use a free hex editor and change files, but there are risks.  PBEM file exchange may not work right, and there are enough challenges as it is.  There may be some serious file exchange security issues too and cheating can become a major concern, which is why a lot of developers frown upon their files being manipulated with a hex editor.  AI use of new or different units may not work either, and again there are enough challenges with that.  So although you may be able to make edits, they may not work well for either multiplayer or solo play.  Maybe they do; let us know?  Else if problems arise, please indicate hex edited files before suggesting new game bugs.  My suggestion is to help with the development of the official game editor to ensure it provides the capabilities we all want/need and is fully integrated into the official game. 

(in reply to hellfirejet)
Post #: 2
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 1:21:06 PM   
hellfirejet

Hi pzgndr,
In a perfect world I would love to use the in game editor to,add new Admirals, alter combat % losses,tweak port defences,alter capacities of ships for troops,cav etc,build costs,build times,be able to add new unit types both land and sea,to name just a few,as for PBEM file exchange I'm not interested in ever using that feature so it is of no importance to me,as I only ever play solo or against the AI.I know Marshall is extremely busy upgrading and fixing bugs and I appreciate all the behind the scenes endeavours of everyone connected to the game,but the naval aspect is driving me to despair as it is totally out of touch with anything that happened during the Napoleonic era!

If only we could be told that there is light at the end of the tunnel, that the naval game will be enhanced and upgraded as per gamers repeated requests,both Mardonius and I have to name just two have offered to pass on our knowledge in naval affairs for the benefit of all gamers.

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 1/29/2010 1:31:21 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 1:39:42 PM   
Dancing Bear

Hellfire, I don't think you are making many friends by advertising methods for potentially can be used for cheating.

As to exsiting naval game, I agree it could be better, but there have been bigger issues to fry first. We don't even have the naval pursuit rules in yet from the original game, and we are still working our way through bugs.

< Message edited by Dancing Bear -- 1/29/2010 2:02:19 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 2:31:17 PM   
hellfirejet

My only reason for posting the Hex editor link,was for other people who like me,who are curious to see what was in all the files that it's hard to gain access to,the way I see it you live and learn by experimenting,that is how I learned to do all that I can do using the computer by pushing buttons and seeing what happens,and as for the game since launch it looks like a drunk man one step forward and 2 back,one thing gets fixed which then has a knock on effect with yet another bug to fix,how long will it be before the game is bug free, thats in the lap of the gods me thinks!

< Message edited by hellfirejet -- 1/29/2010 2:32:39 PM >

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 5
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 2:44:19 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

I would warn that I do have tamper alarms that could cause problems here!

I understand HFJ that you are not really hacking and that your intent is flexibility but I just wanted to point out that this could really fudge up an install! Proceed with caution!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 6
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 2:50:36 PM   
hellfirejet

Hi Marshall, your right I just want to see how I can alter some things so that the game can be a bit more flexible with the Hex editor,still to experiment with it,and as I stated earlier in the thread I have made 2 copies of Empire in arms one official release and patches only and one for my person experimenting use,if I damage the experimental version no problems I just delete it.

Regards,
Graham.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 7
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 4:17:23 PM   
Jimmer

The naval rules are simple because this is primarily a land-combat based diplomatic game. As it was in real life, game naval issues don't amount to much. In the entire period covered by the basic game there was ONE sea battle of note. Naval battles are at best a sidelight, and that is as they should be.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 8
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 4:20:44 PM   
Mardonius

Not true

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 9
RE: Free Hex editor software! - 1/29/2010 6:37:48 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

I would warn that I do have tamper alarms that could cause problems here!

I understand HFJ that you are not really hacking and that your intent is flexibility but I just wanted to point out that this could really fudge up an install! Proceed with caution!

Not to mention, depending on how robust you are reading in these data files, you could easily get your game not to work very fast or get really "screwy".

Worst case scenario you could just encrypt the data files too.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Free Hex editor software! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI