Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Console

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Console Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Console - 1/28/2010 11:06:12 AM   
Joseignacio

Hello,

I almost haven't used a game console in my life; however, my younger friends have, and many of them started playing with shooters, which they still use, but now advance to strategy games.

I spoke to one of them about this game and he asked me if it can be played from a console.

I was surprised, for this game doesn't have any benefit from being played with joystick or 10 buttons instead of a keyboard; however, for him it meant that he needed to buy a new computer to be able to play the game, hence my question:

Will it be possible, wether in the release or in the near future after it, to play MWIF from a console? If so, any or some specific one?

I guess it will not be, but why not asking? Maybe I am wrong.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 1/28/2010 12:14:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Console - 1/28/2010 12:15:09 PM   
Joseignacio

EDIT: repeated message

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 2
RE: Console - 1/28/2010 6:22:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The word Console is very general. I could interpret it to mean several different things. Could you provide more specifics?

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 3
RE: Console - 1/28/2010 10:23:02 PM   
composer99

Not meaning to speak for Joseignacio, but I would expect he means video game consoles such as the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: Console - 1/29/2010 7:51:41 AM   
Joseignacio

Yeah, I was meaning a game console (didn't know how to say it better in English). I think his is Playstation (2?).

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 5
RE: Console - 1/29/2010 7:01:27 PM   
Skanvak

Jose,

I had access to recent statistic on which is the most used platform. Console beat PC by a margin of more than 100 times more players. If you want a game to be a hit you must sell it on game console (PS3, Wii, Xbox). PC game are just a tiny minority.

For your information, most console have keyboard now (you can even send e-mail with the Wii).

Best regards

Skanvak

Post #: 6
RE: Console - 1/29/2010 7:13:57 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

Jose,

I had access to recent statistic on which is the most used platform. Console beat PC by a margin of more than 100 times more players.

Mmmm? 100 times more players? I hardly believe so, please show your sources.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 7
RE: Console - 1/29/2010 8:14:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Yeah, I was meaning a game console (didn't know how to say it better in English). I think his is Playstation (2?).

It is unlikely that MWIF will be ported to a "not general purpose" computer system. That would require geting the program to run under a non-Windows operating system.

As it is MWIF comes very close to tapping out the graphics resources/memory Windows has available. Last week I made a small change which resulted in a small amount of memory not being 'released' once it was no longer needed. In mere minutes of running MWIF that mistake caused Windows to generate an "out of resources" error.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Post #: 8
RE: Console - 1/29/2010 8:15:17 PM   
dogancan

WiF in ipad may be?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 9
RE: Console - 1/30/2010 12:28:09 PM   
Ohio Jones

In terms of general gaming users, I wouldn't be in the least surprised to discover the proportions were pretty much as Skanvak described. Certainly game uit sales for concoles far outstrip any PC gaming titles. While I suspect the ratio shifts dramatically when you talk about users interested in a product like MWIF, that is partly due to the average age of the user -- console users tend to be under 30, and the average age is probably closer to 18-20; the average age of the PC gamer skews higher, and the average age of wargames like MWIF is likely higher still - probably closer to 40. (We could do an informal poll on this site if you rwere interested).

Reaching out to the interests of the youth gaming market would likely require investing massively not just in marketing, but also in the graphics/animations side of things, not to mention significantly streamlining the gameplay into something you could run in 6-12 hours, making it an entirely different game. Given the resources available, it's a safe bet Matrix is focused on getting the game into the hands of the existing market, which is predominantly older, PC users.

However, it's pretty much moot: game studios have entire teams of people -- or more often outsource to other studios -- in order to convert their programs to other platforms (including Mac, which I would hope would have been the first new platform considered). It's certainly an attractive idea in theory, but not sustainable in practice with the resources available.

So don't hold your breath waiting for MWIF to show up on your friend's PS2. (BTW, I don't think *anyone* is still doing development for PS2 -- PS3 has been out for a few years now.)

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill

(in reply to dogancan)
Post #: 10
RE: Console - 1/31/2010 3:34:57 AM   
brian brian

Macs can run the Windows OS so there wouldn't really be a need to port it to the Mac OS.

Game consoles should be powerful enough to run an OS before too long but there would never be much consumer desire to do that I would think. That leaves mega portable consoles (smartphones) which have a ways to go before they could directly run a powerful OS like Windows or OS X, but the vast majority of consumers don't need much computing power just to surf and absorb media content. If you want a cheap (hardware) way to play MWiF, I'd guess anything beyond a bare-bones netbook connected to an external monitor might could probably handle it. Also smartphones can log in to a PC remotely, such as running a favorite program on your PC at home from a hotel room somewhere.....

(in reply to Ohio Jones)
Post #: 11
RE: Console - 1/31/2010 9:54:21 PM   
Ohio Jones

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Macs can run the Windows OS so there wouldn't really be a need to port it to the Mac OS.

True, but it's a pain having to log into my Windows partition just to run two or three programs. No worries, I'm not expecting anything to happen on this front. I'll just have to suck it up! :-D

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 12
RE: Console - 2/1/2010 8:17:30 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

It is unlikely that MWIF will be ported to a "not general purpose" computer system. That would require geting the program to run under a non-Windows operating system.

As it is MWIF comes very close to tapping out the graphics resources/memory Windows has available. Last week I made a small change which resulted in a small amount of memory not being 'released' once it was no longer needed. In mere minutes of running MWIF that mistake caused Windows to generate an "out of resources" error.

Thank you, I guessed so, but I wanted to give an answer 100% sure.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 13
RE: Console - 2/1/2010 8:27:05 AM   
Joseignacio

Thanks also to all the other comments.

I would like to say that, although the console players could be 100/1 to the computer players (or maybe 10 or 30 to one IMO), 99% of these players play graphic adventures, car crash games, some role playinig games and very few of them, a couple of light strategy games.

No doubt that for hardcore strategy PC userrs are way more. This is probably due not only to the mind age necessary to play these games (we older, did not start in the game world with game consoles), but also the game consoles don't add anything to these games, since the interface is not the problem here.

Maybe in the future, but only if they mean a substantial improvement of the price compared with pc along with offering better results than PC in what it shortly gets short of (after the buy) like ram memory and graphics card.

Post #: 14
RE: Console - 2/1/2010 5:46:48 PM   
Skanvak

I have not find the recent stat I was refering too (I reckon that I might have a bit overrated it as they supprised me) but i find ESA stat for 2005

Roughly the ratio is 1 to 4 in number of units (1 to 6 in price) in favor of the console of course (which make 80% console 20% computer)

But I have find another stats in the report that is significant for us : the main kind of computer game is strategy (30 %) where as for console game it is non siginificant at all (does not appear on the stat). I don't know if it is because of a lack of strategy game on console in 2005, or because the stat is about the US market (more strategy game on the japanese market and the past years).

Nevertheless, I think that the sound strategy for developping a strategy game for console is first to make it a hit on PC, at least enough to convince a producer to invest on the adaptation to console. The other way round seem risky (but I know a japanese company that do that for the nintendo console).

Best regards

Skanvak

Post #: 15
RE: Console - 2/1/2010 10:27:06 PM   
Orm

It might also be needed to consider that the company that makes the game console wants money for the "licence" to allow someone to port (or make) a game to their console. I once read that it amounts to about 14$ for every sold game. That is the reason that computer games are cheaper to buy than console games.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 16
RE: Console - 2/2/2010 2:53:31 PM   
micheljq

I thought that console players did not care about strategy titles, at least most of them. Most of console games are shooters or arcade style games.

Michel Desjardins,
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 17
RE: Console - 2/2/2010 5:33:36 PM   
composer99

The Super Nintendo console had a WWII Pacific strategic/operational-level game called P.T.O.: Pacific Theater of Operations which had two sequels (P.T.O. 2 and P.T.O. 4 (IV)) released in North America (PTO 4 on Playstation 2).

I couldn't tell you how well they did.

At any rate, it's at least plausible that MWiF, if it demonstrates sales success on the PC, could be ported to consoles, at least in Japan.

~ Composer99

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 18
RE: Console - 2/2/2010 11:55:13 PM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

Jose,

I had access to recent statistic on which is the most used platform. Console beat PC by a margin of more than 100 times more players.

Mmmm? 100 times more players? I hardly believe so, please show your sources.

Seriously , you really need a source ?

Just one look at the floor space allotted to PC games compare to consoles should rectify your disbelief.

PC games with in the next 5 years will by a large majority be online purchases only. as for the hobby of wargamming porting over to consoles I highly doubt the publishers have the sales numbers to warrant any console development.

< Message edited by Sarge -- 2/2/2010 11:56:09 PM >

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 19
RE: Console - 2/3/2010 1:39:54 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Seriously , you really need a source ?

Just one look at the floor space allotted to PC games compare to consoles should rectify your disbelief.

PC games with in the next 5 years will by a large majority be online purchases only. as for the hobby of wargamming porting over to consoles I highly doubt the publishers have the sales numbers to warrant any console development.

I know that already, it's the 100 times I find exaggerated. As you or another mentionned the % of wargames on consoles must be very thin.

Michel Desjardins,

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 20
RE: Console - 2/3/2010 5:46:00 PM   
Skanvak

Just to tell Michelljq that I have given my sources and proven stats.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 21
RE: Console - 2/3/2010 7:06:48 PM   
micheljq

Yes, yes, I see your post Skanvak with the stats from feb. 2nd, it's quite interesting, thanks a lot.

Michel Desjardins,

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Console Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI