Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

is this correct?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> is this correct? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is this correct? - 1/29/2010 12:35:46 AM   
Marty A

ship repairs faster tied to dock than in shipyard. note major damage will be repaired at dock [no #] and no ar present.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 1:07:27 AM   
foliveti

I don't know if it is intended to work that way, but I have been seeing it a lot. If you boost the priority to high or critcal you might see that pierside speeds up, but the shipyard time does not.

Frank

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 2
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 1:26:57 AM   
Don Bowen

This may be due to a lot of naval support at the base. Naval support does assist in repairs for pierside, but does not for shipyard (the shipyard is a self contained entity).

Also, increaseing priority for a ship in an underutilized shipyard may have little or no effect as the shipyard will already be dedicating unused resources to ships under repair in the yard. It will, in effect, automatically raise the priority of a ship if no other ship is competing for the shipyard resources.

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 3
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 1:54:22 AM   
Fishbed

You may spend only 15 days pierside, but you won't repair your Flt major damage, just the Sys. You'll spend more time in the shipyard because it shall take care of the 4 major Flt damage points too (although I guess there should be a # to show the pierside won't do everything, maybe it's a little bug).

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 4
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 2:03:45 AM   
CapAndGown

I don't think it is a bug. I think what is indicated here is that pierside repairs in San Diego can repair some amount of major damage. Perhaps there are some ARs present. Note that the pierside takes longer than readiness. This indicates to me that readiness repair will not deal with the major damage, but pierside will.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 5
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 2:15:27 AM   
wwengr

From page 242 of the manual:
quote:

Sometimes Pierside can be the fastest repair type. This is due to the nature of the damage and the time it takes to stand down the ship and bring it back to readiness. The time required to return a ship to service is built into the repair estimate.

The combination of port assist, naval support assist, and crew assist generate more repair points than the shipyard. The total number of ships under repair and the amount of repair is fairly small. Also, the major damage is only four points so can be repaired by the port. San Diego's repair shipyard is relatively small. You would only use Shipyard Repair if:

a) The ship had greater than 5 points of major damage to repair
b) The port was overloaded with ships under repair, so the shipyard will repair faster

Remember, a ship in the shipyard is only repaired by the shipyard. Port assist, naval support assist, and crew assist don't apply in the shipyard.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 6
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 2:20:26 AM   
Marty A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

You may spend only 15 days pierside, but you won't repair your Flt major damage, just the Sys. You'll spend more time in the shipyard because it shall take care of the 4 major Flt damage points too (although I guess there should be a # to show the pierside won't do everything, maybe it's a little bug).

actually i know for a fact that you are wrong on this. i did same last game with kaga in yokohama and she repaired the major damage just fine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

This may be due to a lot of naval support at the base. Naval support does assist in repairs for pierside, but does not for shipyard (the shipyard is a self contained entity).

Also, increaseing priority for a ship in an underutilized shipyard may have little or no effect as the shipyard will already be dedicating unused resources to ships under repair in the yard. It will, in effect, automatically raise the priority of a ship if no other ship is competing for the shipyard resources.

quite probably the case. i have 568 naval support there [not counting improving size of port]. goes to prove what i said in the other thread about using naval support versus tenders i guess

< Message edited by Marty A -- 1/29/2010 2:23:38 AM >

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 7
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 2:20:53 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I don't think it is a bug. I think what is indicated here is that pierside repairs in San Diego can repair some amount of major damage. Perhaps there are some ARs present. Note that the pierside takes longer than readiness. This indicates to me that readiness repair will not deal with the major damage, but pierside will.

In this case the symbol # next to the readiness repair indicates that Major Damage cannot be repaired under readiness. Consequently, the 9 days for Readiness indicates 9 days to repair 5 minor system damage. The 15 days for Pierside indicates 15 days to stand down the ship; repair 5 minor system damage and 4 major flotation damage; and return the ship to service.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 8
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 6:42:46 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marty A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

actually i know for a fact that you are wrong on this. i did same last game with kaga in yokohama and she repaired the major damage just fine.

Then I'll be more than happy to be told how it's supposed to work, because Ive always thought that major damage is supposed to be shipyard stuff - my ships sitting in Truk will hardly repair anything beyond the major damages points

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 9
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 11:30:55 AM   
wwengr

All of the ways to repair major damage -

• Repair Yards are able to repair all types of damage; System, Floatation, and Engineering damage, as well as Major damage.
  • AR, AD, AGP, and AG can repair major damage for PT, PB, PC, SC, AM, ML, HDML, MGB, YP, YMS, AMc
  • ARD can repair all major flotation damage
  • For PT , MGB, ML, PC, PB, SC, AM, YM, AMc, YP, and HDML: Major damage can be repaired by a size 4 port (or larger), except for ships with a tonnage greater than 499, which require a port of size tonnage/100. AR, AD, AG, and AGP can repair major damage.
  • For LB, LCVP, LCM, LCT: Major damage can be repaired by a size 4 port (or larger) or AR, AG, AGP
  • For Midget Submarines: Major Engine Damage can be repaired by a port of size 6 or greater, or by an AR or AS.
  • For xAP, xAPc, xAK, xAKL, TK, AKL, YO, and APc: Major damage can be repaired at a port with size equal to 100 per ship tonnage.
  • AR can repair major engine or major flotation damage if the damage is 5 points or less.
  • Ports of size 7 and above can also repair major engine and major floatation damage of five points or less, but only if the ship is taken offline (assigned to pier side repair mode).

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 10
RE: is this correct? - 1/29/2010 3:47:42 PM   
Marty A

Do not care what rules say. do not care how it is supposed to work. i know it works from experience. do not believe? try it yourself.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 11
RE: is this correct? - 1/31/2010 10:39:55 PM   
Marty A

Here is sample of ship with no major damage. pier side faster than using repair ship. think this is broken. ready repair is even faster than use repair ship.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Marty A)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> is this correct? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI