Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question - 1/26/2010 3:08:17 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown
Out of interest, how large do the fleets become in the game?

Fleets typically consist of around 15-25 ships of various types and sizes. Of course you can decide exactly which and how many ships you want in your fleets, but that's the typical size.

It's usually better to have more fleets, rather than one big uber-fleet. That way you can defend/attack a wider area.

You can also use more than one fleet to attack or defend a target, so battles can still get quite big, with 100 or more ships engaged.

quote:

Also, spies are a pet hate of mine. Is it possible to mod these out of the game entirely (or at least minimise their existence somehow)?

Currently not possible to disable spies. But could possibly add this feature in a patch.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 91
RE: Question - 1/26/2010 4:50:39 PM   
Baleur

In a patch? Does that mean release is that close? :D

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 92
RE: Question - 1/28/2010 8:13:52 PM   
Jamerson89

Will technological supremacy play a large part in DW or is strategy and fleet placement more important?

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 93
RE: Question - 1/29/2010 12:18:23 AM   
hadberz

Tech helps, but in my opinion fleet placement is more important. I can't tell you how many times I've had pirates attack a far off mining station and my fleet arriving too late to defend it.  Of course I find out who did it then go after their base. 

(in reply to Jamerson89)
Post #: 94
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 6:14:59 PM   
ASHBERY76

The game year starts around 2750 how long is an average game so that most of the galaxy is full in years and how long does a year take on normal speed.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 95
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 7:47:03 PM   
Gertjan

"It's usually better to have more fleets, rather than one big uber-fleet. That way you can defend/attack a wider area.

You can also use more than one fleet to attack or defend a target, so battles can still get quite big, with 100 or more ships engaged. "

I like this aspect. Do fleets typically also contain different classes of ships, or rather is it optimal to have various types of ships in one fleet?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 96
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 8:20:56 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
The game year starts around 2750 how long is an average game so that most of the galaxy is full in years and how long does a year take on normal speed.

A game year is 10 minutes long. Game lengths can vary a lot - depends largely on the size of the galaxy (from 100 stars to 1400 stars). You can also start a game with the galaxy partially-, or even fully-expanded, so that empires are already large with many colonies and ships. So if you don't like the expansion phase much you can jump directly to major wars and battles between large empires.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 97
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 8:25:46 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan
"It's usually better to have more fleets, rather than one big uber-fleet. That way you can defend/attack a wider area.

You can also use more than one fleet to attack or defend a target, so battles can still get quite big, with 100 or more ships engaged. "

I like this aspect. Do fleets typically also contain different classes of ships, or rather is it optimal to have various types of ships in one fleet?

Fleets usually contain a balanced cross-section of military ship types and sizes. Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Capital Ships and Troop Transports. But you can put whatever ships you like in a fleet. Smaller ships are generally faster (if you design them that way), so they can be useful for pursuing escaping ships. Larger ships are usually better armed and defended, and have stand-off weapons that are good for attacking bases.

You might want to have specialized fleets for different roles: planetary invasion, hit and run raids, colony defense, etc.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 98
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 9:12:35 PM   
Gertjan

" So if you don't like the expansion phase much you can jump directly to major wars and battles between large empires."
Wow this is very innovative and I like it a lot

Question regarding ships, are there also battlestar galactica carrier type of ships, with lots of little fighters?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 99
RE: Question - 1/31/2010 9:42:10 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan
Question regarding ships, are there also battlestar galactica carrier type of ships, with lots of little fighters?

There's various sizes of ships, but no ships carry other ships like this.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 100
RE: Question - 2/1/2010 8:54:11 AM   
Gertjan

Ok thx. Doesn't really matter so much as long as there are also tiny fighters in the game.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 101
RE: Question - 2/1/2010 2:51:32 PM   
Epsilon

Is there technology in the game that is unique to specific races?
And is there technology that can be found through exploration that cannot be had through research?
Is is possible to acquire technology from other races through spying? and if so is there a way to prevent other races from stealing technology from you?

How big is the typical tech tree, ie how many possibilities for research?
Is there tiered research?, so that if you research one specific tech you are prevented from researching another specific tech?
As the galaxy is really very huge, I suspect it will take some time to finish a game, how long will it take to complete the tech tree?

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 102
RE: Question - 2/1/2010 8:48:45 PM   
Jamerson89

So far all travel in the videos has been FTL but not instantaneous, will there be any natural wormholes in the galaxy or the technology to create instantaneous travel between systems?

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 103
RE: Question - 2/1/2010 10:28:30 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epsilon
Is there technology in the game that is unique to specific races?
And is there technology that can be found through exploration that cannot be had through research?
Is is possible to acquire technology from other races through spying? and if so is there a way to prevent other races from stealing technology from you?

How big is the typical tech tree, ie how many possibilities for research?
Is there tiered research?, so that if you research one specific tech you are prevented from researching another specific tech?
As the galaxy is really very huge, I suspect it will take some time to finish a game, how long will it take to complete the tech tree?

There is some race-specific tech, but the majority is researchable by all races. Some very advanced tech can only be discovered through exploration.
Spies can steal tech from other empires, but counter-intelligence is also important: you can catch enemy spies.
Tech is divided into 17 different categories, like shields, engines, sensors, construction, colonization, mining, etc. Each category has anywhere from 4 to 20 techs of varying levels.
Research speed can be set faster or slower when setting up the game.
There will be a video about Research and Ship Design later that will explain all of this in more detail.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 104
RE: Question - 2/1/2010 10:47:34 PM   
Epsilon

Thanks for your answer!, I'll be looking forward to that video :)

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 105
RE: Question - 2/2/2010 8:08:21 PM   
Gertjan

Me 2!

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 106
RE: Question - 2/3/2010 2:03:34 PM   
ypsylon

Only few questions more:

1. Is Dark Matter represented in any shape or form in the game?
2. How are government types represented?
3. Can you change form of government?
4. Is it possible to hire advisors? (*cough* MOO2 *cough*)
5. Is corruption represented and how it works (general, I do not expect here detailed explanation)?
6. Are other faction(s) actions [trade/diplomacy/military] related to form of government (e.g. empire views democracy as weaklings, republics view empires as barbarians)?
7. Happiness/unhappiness of population, if exist how does it affect game-play?
8. Is genetic engineering represented in the game (techs or something, so you can tweak population strengths/weaknesses - *cough* MOO2 *cough*)? I ignoring here configuration files, interested only in modification when game is already running.
9. Can alliance win the game?
10. Is it possible to pay pirates to attack other factions?
11. Is Capital movable to other planets?
12. If Capital falls, how it affect empire?
13. Is interception of enemy possible?
14. Is it possible to prevent retreat of enemy from combat with technology? *cough* SW:EAW/FOC *cough*
15. Is it possible to lose a planet due to meteors/ion storms/star going nova.

Sorry for that cough. It is deadly disease.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 107
RE: Question - 2/3/2010 9:41:09 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ypsylon
1. Is Dark Matter represented in any shape or form in the game?

Not sure exactly what you mean here. There are vast nebula clouds that have various effects on your ships, if that's what you mean.

quote:

2. How are government types represented?

Each type of govt has various strengths and weaknesses. Some govt types dislike empires with other specific govt types, e.g. Military Dictatorships dislike Democracies. Switching govts can have negative effects on your empire.

quote:

3. Can you change form of government?

Yes

quote:

4. Is it possible to hire advisors? (*cough* MOO2 *cough*)

Advisors are built into the game - if you set some of your empire activities to semi-automated advisors will make suggestions to you (e.g. where to establish next colony, what ships to build, etc)

quote:

5. Is corruption represented and how it works (general, I do not expect here detailed explanation)?

Yes, the bigger your empire gets, the more tax income is lost due to corruption.

quote:

6. Are other faction(s) actions [trade/diplomacy/military] related to form of government (e.g. empire views democracy as weaklings, republics view empires as barbarians)?

Yes, this is one of many factors that influence other empires actions

quote:

7. Happiness/unhappiness of population, if exist how does it affect game-play?

Unhappy populations are bad because they won't tolerate very high taxes . If unhappy for along period they may rebel and refuse to pay any tax at all.

Also, very unhappy populations may decide to leave your empire, becoming independent or joining a nearby rival.

quote:

8. Is genetic engineering represented in the game (techs or something, so you can tweak population strengths/weaknesses - *cough* MOO2 *cough*)? I ignoring here configuration files, interested only in modification when game is already running.

Not genetic engineering, but there are other mechanisms that have the same effect - i.e. changing racial strengths and weaknesses

quote:

You can be in a Mutual Defense Pact with another empire(s), but only one empire will actually win the game

quote:

10. Is it possible to pay pirates to attack other factions?

Yes

quote:

11. Is Capital movable to other planets?

Yes

quote:

Your capital is just another colony. However it's usually one of your best colonies, so losing it is very bad.

quote:

13. Is interception of enemy possible?

You mean in hyperspace while they're travelling? You can see where they're headed if you have long range scanners, but can't really stop them until they exit hyperspace.

quote:

14. Is it possible to prevent retreat of enemy from combat with technology? *cough* SW:EAW/FOC *cough*

Yes, there are hyperdeny components that stop a ship from initiating a hyperjump (as long as they're in range)

quote:

15. Is it possible to lose a planet due to meteors/ion storms/star going nova.

No, there are no natural forces that destroy planets

(in reply to ypsylon)
Post #: 108
RE: Question - 2/3/2010 10:07:10 PM   
Tycow

This game just sounds better and better by the minute! :D

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 109
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 4:08:26 AM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

You can be in a Mutual Defense Pact with another empire(s), but only one empire will actually win the game

Just to get some clarification on this one: If, at the end of the game, you're allied with every remaining power in the galaxy, do you "win" (and/or will one of your allies win)? Or will you be forced to declare war on your erstwhile pals in order to achieve victory?

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

Your capital is just another colony. However it's usually one of your best colonies, so losing it is very bad.

In Birth of the Federation, losing your capital/homeworld hurts not only because they tend to be one of your best colonies, but also because you can construct special buildings (that grant you certain bonuses) there that can't be built anywhere else in your empire. Also, your empire's population will take a major hit to its morale if you lose your capital.

So bearing that in mind, will capitals in Distant Worlds have any sort of special structure and/or attribute that will make losing them particularly painful? Or are they treated as any other colony (albeit one of your better-developed ones)?

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 110
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 6:07:59 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok
Just to get some clarification on this one: If, at the end of the game, you're allied with every remaining power in the galaxy, do you "win" (and/or will one of your allies win)? Or will you be forced to declare war on your erstwhile pals in order to achieve victory?

Depends on your victory conditions. If you are in sandbox mode (open play) then the only way to win is to conquer everyone else. But when you have any of the standard victory conditions (territory, population, economy) then the first player to reach one of these wins. There are currently no 'allied wins'.

quote:

In Birth of the Federation, losing your capital/homeworld hurts not only because they tend to be one of your best colonies, but also because you can construct special buildings (that grant you certain bonuses) there that can't be built anywhere else in your empire. Also, your empire's population will take a major hit to its morale if you lose your capital.

So bearing that in mind, will capitals in Distant Worlds have any sort of special structure and/or attribute that will make losing them particularly painful? Or are they treated as any other colony (albeit one of your better-developed ones)?

Special structures are discovered more than built. So colonies tend to have intrinsic value because they might have ancient ruins, for example. Some ruins are particularly powerful and can lead to intense competition over them.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 111
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 8:11:42 AM   
ypsylon

By Dark Matter (including here also term 'Dark Energy' which is connected to DM realm) I understand just that. Dark matter is invisible because it exist on exactly opposite side of normal matter. However theories (+ Star Trek as I think the only sci-fi series which actually explaining it a bit) claim that DM is incredibly resistant to any kind of damage, also it drains energy if somehow is exposed to normal ("white") matter. DM/DE causing also huge gravimetric distortions. I think it is fascinating stuff.

Imagine ship with DM armor which is completely impervious to any weapon not designed to work on DM objects. Or dampening fields sucking out energy of every enemy not prepared to deal with DM effects. Simply magnificent. And endless possibilities.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 112
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 7:13:26 PM   
Epsilon

It has now been quite a few weeks since it was talked about the game was nearly here, since then a lot of information regarding the game and it's internal mechanisms have been released, and it's public knowledge that the beta has concluded and that the game will be released online when the time comes.
But apparently the release of the game has been postponed due to one guy being sick last week?, if thats true when can we then expect the game to be released?

I'm only asking because if I keep on visiting the forums and reading information about how awesome it is, I only succeed in making myself miserable because I won't be able to play the game anyway.
As a potential fan of the game I end up looking a right fool when I keep on expecting a game that is out "soon(tm)"

I really appreciate all the information that has been released and it's unprecedented for a developer to be so forthcoming regarding game systems and answering questions so willingly on their forum, this is wholly my own fault in allowing to be hyped for the game.

I'm sure others feel the same way, but I speak only for myself :)

(in reply to ypsylon)
Post #: 113
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 7:33:51 PM   
LarryP

I'm one of the beta testers and I have had no notice that the beta is now concluded. Where did you see that it had?

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 114
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 7:39:38 PM   
dingbat911

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I'm one of the beta testers and I have had no notice that the beta is now concluded. Where did you see that it had?

Flaunt it why don't you
better be making it better for the rest of us! lucky man!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 115
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 8:02:17 PM   
Epsilon

quote:

I read it earlier I think it was actually Elliot himself that said the beta was done so no need for more beta testers. Though if I have taken it out of context, then I'm sorry.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 116
RE: Question - 2/4/2010 9:58:18 PM   
LarryP

quote:

quote:

I read it earlier I think it was actually Elliot himself that said the beta was done so no need for more beta testers. Though if I have taken it out of context, then I'm sorry.

You may be right. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I had not heard anything so maybe it is done and the beta testers are the last to know.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 117
RE: Question - 2/5/2010 12:03:00 AM   
Tycow

Apologies if it's already been asked, but is there a single player campaign/story to play? 

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 118
RE: Question - 2/5/2010 4:45:29 AM   
martok

quote:

But apparently the release of the game has been postponed due to one guy being sick last week?,

Actually, virtually everyone at Matrix has been sick the last week or two (with the exception of one guy who's apparently been on vacation); you can read the thread about it here. So there's been holdups on just about everything lately, not just Distant Worlds.

Patience. We shall all know gaming bliss soon enough.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 119
RE: Question - 2/5/2010 3:02:46 PM   
ypsylon

My question below is result of reading an article about Pluto undergoing intense seasonal changes on the surface right now.

Is weather/seismic activity/etc represented in DW?

If yes, then how it does affect game-play.

Agricultural production drops because of very bad weather, industrial output plummeting when ice age is coming because of over-harvesting. Only 2 fun ideas out of rather long list.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI