Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The One

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The One Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The One - 2/6/2010 10:01:06 PM   
Xenoform21

I am an avid space genera gamer, and so far there is only one game that i can say is truly amazing, from the initial wow factor to the depth of gameplay, and everything else in between. Alpha Centauri.

That game has siphoned more hours out of my life then sleeping i reckon, and i keep coming back to it years later because of its detailed gameplay, enticing dialogue with other factions, and strong replayability values.

And until i discovered DW, i thought i would never see a game to rival it. I just hope all of this hype is truly deserved. And if it is, kudos to Elliot and whoever else constructed this masterpiece.
Post #: 1
RE: The One - 2/6/2010 10:31:31 PM   
Footslogger

Yes this game is truly a Gem! I'm scared to get it though, that I might be addicted to it. But, I guess everyone has a vice.

< Message edited by Footslogger -- 2/6/2010 10:51:58 PM >

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 2
RE: The One - 2/6/2010 11:00:04 PM   
2ndACR

Sooner it is released, the sooner you get my money........come on Matrix, BOTF is getting really old and boring. Need a new drug fix.

getting desperate, almost loaded up MOO3 but have resisted the urge. (shudder)

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 3
RE: The One - 2/6/2010 11:57:50 PM   
dingbat911

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Sooner it is released, the sooner you get my money........come on Matrix, BOTF is getting really old and boring. Need a new drug fix.

woah! desperate measures there!

But I'm sure Matrix are doing their best, so lets be patient!

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: The One - 2/7/2010 1:55:41 AM   
lordxorn

I loved Alpha Centauri, I always wondered why Sid didn't follow up with a sequel.

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 5
RE: The One - 2/7/2010 2:46:10 AM   
Epsilon

It was only a sid meier game in name. It was a Brian Reynolds design, he no longer works at that company.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: The One - 2/7/2010 7:17:00 AM   
martok

Despite Distant Worlds being in real-time (I've always been primarily a TBS gamer), I'm really looking forward to this one as well. Looks to have all the makings of a 4x classic!

quote:

Have you tried any of the mods for BOTF? There are some truly excellent ones available (I'm partial to Balance of Power myself), and they've really revitalized and extended the life of the game. I strongly recommend checking them out if you haven't already!

quote:

Gah! Don't do it 2ndACR; you have so much to live for still!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 7
RE: The One - 2/7/2010 7:41:24 AM   
ypsylon

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

I loved Alpha Centauri, I always wondered why Sid didn't follow up with a sequel.

Because he wanted to waste his time with Civ3 and [brrr] Civ4 which I put in the same row as MOO3. Rubbish. Civ was only one. And only good sequel was Civ2. Too many sequels to sequels is bad. *cough* Command & Conquer *cough* is best example.

Seriously where the hell are brave chaps from Microprose now? During DOS times pretty much everything from MP was a hit. Today there is so much garbage on the market that normal person don't have enough money to try everything in order to find a real pearl (of course you must ignore all media hype and marketing rubbish). And because of that in many cases you're stuck with game which you hate, but you play because of the investment. Have you noticed how many companies abandoned demos? Simple solution to a problem how to rip-off more people.

quote:

Well you can always hibernate, like Cartman in South Park. Certainly less painful than playing MOO3.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 8
RE: The One - 2/9/2010 10:07:22 PM   
pixelpusher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xenoform21

I am an avid space genera gamer, and so far there is only one game that i can say is truly amazing, from the initial wow factor to the depth of gameplay, and everything else in between. Alpha Centauri.

I agree! Alpha Centauri is probably my favorite computer game of all time. So balanced, and yet so much strategic depth... It was innovative at the time, too, using 'voxel' type of graphics (3d pixels) for the units. I loved that all the players had distinctly different aims / methods of reaching their aims. (As well as distinctive sci-fi personalities.)

Only complaint was that the unit editor was too hard to use...

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

IIRC, according to Brian Reynolds the IP is in limbo. There are a series of Usenet posts out there by him talking about SMAC - you can probably google it. Also, I've heard that SMAC didn't actually sell incredibly well compared to the other Sid products, which I find strange.

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 9
RE: The One - 2/11/2010 5:35:28 PM   
ASHBERY76

DW as good as Alpha Centauri? I think you are expecting too much from an indie developer.

Alpha Centauri is a timeless legend game that is still great to play today..

(in reply to pixelpusher)
Post #: 10
RE: The One - 2/11/2010 7:10:13 PM   
dingbat911

I think expecting to little is quite hard on them as well. from what I've seen the developers have focused and taken a lot of things into account and have designed it with meticulous precision that only an indie developer can do...

I don't expect the world no, but I expect the results will show the effort these guys have put in will show quite clearly.

but then, I am a biased fan!

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The One Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI