Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

zoc and zoc attacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> zoc and zoc attacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
zoc and zoc attacks - 2/15/2010 6:35:19 PM   
Treefrog

BG defines zone of control as the three hexes to the unit's front. I don't understand this as the units face a hex seam and they only have two hexes to their front.

Literature discusses ZOC attacks. I assume this means cutting off the defender's line of retreat with your units' ZOC, correct?

I think I read somewhere that a formed unit can keep open the line of retreat, but a skirmisher (and/or routed) unit cannot, correct?

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Post #: 1
RE: zoc and zoc attacks - 2/16/2010 8:23:15 AM   
Doc o War

TreeFrog- In all the games I am playing the arrow on the counter is facing a hex SIDE- and i can easily distinguish the front three hex sides- I have not seen an arrow facing the hex seam- it always faces some hex side.

Cutting a line of retreat with ZOCs and then making it retreat is the best way to destroy enemy units- They can retreat through other formed units depending on what retreat option you are playing with- I prefer to allow units to retreat through- destroying a retreating unit because it would temporarily overstack a hex seemed artificial to me- so I use that option.  Retreat and rout through another formed unit can still make that unit have to check for rout and it might go also.

There is no good rules set regarding what Skirmisher units do?- other than costing more to move and seeing enemy units two hexes out with a question mark. I think it effects combat in some way but so far I have not found an explanation as too how.

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 2
RE: zoc and zoc attacks - 2/21/2010 6:46:23 AM   
wiz_of_oz2006

The BG Napoleon and Civil War series use different fronts or facing for units. In the Napoleonic series the units face along the spine and has a front or forward ZOC of two hexes. In the Civil War series the unit faces the hexside and has a front or forward ZOC of three hexes. Skirmishers are represented totally different in each series as well. The Napoleon series actually detaches a unit of skirmishers while the Civil War series just effectively expands a unit ZOC. The literature can be confusing because of the difference in the two systems, while simillar there are important differences.

I hope that helps.

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> zoc and zoc attacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI