Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

surrender

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> surrender Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
surrender - 2/9/2010 2:48:25 PM   
prurpnit

is the following a bug:

What are the pre-conditions for forcing the surrender of enemy units?

I've noticed that sometimes enemy units surrender to me when not completely surrounded, but generally completely surrounnding them seems the only way to force a surrender-which seems a little unhistorical

further, if they do surrender the casualty figures shown in the reports don't seem to include the numbers of men comprised in surrendered units. does that mean that they are not permanently captured?

also, when recently playing (for the nfirst time) the Union in the advanced game I found that supply units, wherever I put them, would not provide supply-why is that?

another problem-when I charge enemy computer controlled units I almost invariably do very little damage, even when my units, in line i charge the rear of enemy units .

even more oddly, I charged a routed enemy artillery unit with a fresh cavalry unit and suffered 785 casualties-which surely can't be right. conversely, my units, if charged, suffer colossal casualties iif charged, even if in fortresses or defensive terrain-1285 casualties on one occasion in a fort
Post #: 1
RE: surrender - 2/11/2010 8:54:12 PM   
ericbabe

I believe the criteria used for surrendering units involves several factors.  Whether they have an avenue of retreat is a large factor.

Surrendered men are permanently captured.

Union supply units should provide supply, though there are restrictions on the supply lines of supply units.

The charging algorithm is the same for human players as for the AI, so there is no discrimination on this point.  Charging is in Forge of Freedom -- as it was in the Civil War -- an action with a very uncertain outcome.

(in reply to prurpnit)
Post #: 2
RE: surrender - 3/3/2010 2:14:42 PM   
prurpnit

I'm not sure this can be right. Surely the one unit incapable of resisting a charge, having been routed, is an artillery unit? For it to inflict huge casualties (more than 50% of strength in my example) seems absurd. Further, I've since played games where I have entirely surrounded artillery units and charged them from the front/rear etc. They have no nearby supporting units but inflict vast casualties on every unit that attacks them. This seems nonsensical

In addition, I have, on occasions, surrounded, completely, large numbers of enemy units in an attempt to achieve mass surrenders. Generally, the enemy units, even if routed, quite often just disappear (presumably having escaped) as the after battle report makes no mention of them having surrendered. Indeed, a certain amount of time after one is informed that the enemy has wavered and is fleeing the battle they disappear, again even if entirely surrounded. This seems bonkers to me.

Another point; one of my standard defences against the computer (which is generally impossible to attach as the advantage granted to it renders damage it can inflict deadly in open terrain) opponent is to create a laager-like line of units, entrenched so as to create what one hopes is an impregnable circular defence. I put weak units in the middle, in line, to chase a fleeing opponent and wait for the computer to exhaust its morale attacking my line. I have noticed that if I use forts to anchor that line, that the units ibn the forts are much more vulnerable than entrenched units. They (the fort-based units) seem very susceptible to charge (which seems silly) and cannot entrench as they're in a fort. Entrenchments seems to confer greater defensive benefits. Again, surely this can't be right?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> surrender Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI