Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BEWARE!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BEWARE! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BEWARE! - 3/5/2010 7:07:45 PM   
cdbeck

Ok, here are the second part's pics in high-res. Again, due to ownership - do not use these without permission.

Research:

Component Detail:

OOOH! Something I didn't use for the preview - the Construction Yard Screen:

Options Menu:

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Post #: 1
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/5/2010 7:10:21 PM   
cdbeck

Adviser Dialogue Popup:

Galaxy Map:

Queuing a new mission:

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 2
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/5/2010 7:14:12 PM   
cdbeck

This screen got left out, the Right-Click building context menu (note: these options might change and also reflect your personal designs):

Weak Pirate Attack:

Pirate Fight:

Pirate Fight Closeup:

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/5/2010 8:40:09 PM   
Gertjan

Great thanks! I wonder how expensive and powerful capital ships are compared to destroyers/cruisers.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 4
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 2:27:19 AM   
shinobu

I really, really wanted to click on the drop down menu buttons of these screenshots. It's like looking at pictures of food and becoming very hungry. Thanks for the treats Son_of_Montfort.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 5
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 3:13:20 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

In the second last picture above ("Pirate Fight") it shows details on Drazoon 9, a gas giant planet in the mid left of the picture.

Beneath "Unoccupied" are four coloured icons with percentages "73%, 51%, 38%, 97%"

What do these refer to?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 6
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 3:38:54 AM   
Sarissofoi

This four icons are a avialable resources and numbers how abudant are they.

< Message edited by Sarissofoi -- 3/6/2010 3:39:20 AM >

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 7
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 4:28:36 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

quote:

Thanks for the reply but why would they represent resources as coloured circles here when everywhere else the resources are shown as specific icons?

And why would you show a resource as 97%, for instance. 97% of what?

Just curious.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 8
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 4:46:35 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

Goodaye,

quote:

Thanks for the reply but why would they represent resources as coloured circles here when everywhere else the resources are shown as specific icons?

And why would you show a resource as 97%, for instance. 97% of what?

Just curious.

Cheers,
Lancer

Good points. I want to know also. It loooks like there MIGHT be symbols in those colored circles. Even if there are it's badly portrayed. The percentages can seem odd but maybe they're trying to simplify a way to display a resource quantity value as it applies to resource gathering mines. Maybe the percentages are a kind of bonus the miners get to represent the amount of that resource present.

The other way to show the resource amount would be an actual number quantity by weight or some thing. That can get technical and implies that the resources can run out/deplete. Thus if the game has unlimited resources the percentages would be acceptable instead.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 5:04:34 AM   
Erik Rutins

Those colored circles are indeed resources and they are somewhat indistinct because they represent four different types of gases. The percentage does indicate how good a source of each resource this particular planet is. Definitely a good place for a gas mining station. That blue gas, for example, is Caslon which is a primary fuel resource.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 10
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 6:41:00 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

Thanks, once again, Eric.

Are resources endless or finite and subject to depletion?

[edit] Ahhh. I might have the answer. Each resource is a 'source' that provides a set amount and the percentages indicate the 'reserve', which, over time, decrease as the resource depletes. So a 50% source isn't going to last as long as a 100% source of Caslon.

Have I guessed right? I heard that you're running a 'giveaway a free copy' competition for the best detective work here. I could be a contender! [edit]

Cheers,
Lancer

< Message edited by lancer -- 3/6/2010 6:46:41 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 7:12:48 AM   
Wade1000

I doubt that the resources deplete. Many games of this sort have unlimited resources at the locations. The resource point locations such as planets are usually abstracted to represent such an abundent supply of resources that they ar unlimited in the game.
If they were limited then eventually you'd be a galaxy barren of anything valuble in the resourse area. If there are enough locations of resources yet they still are unlimited then it would not be fun to have to build alot of mining and defense infrastructure at a particular location that would eventually have no purpose as there as the resource is depleted.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 12
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 2:18:34 PM   
Baleur

This game is looking better and better.
But there is still one thing i'm dissapointed by, visually..

The galaxy map / zoomed out nebulas and clouds.
It just looks so horrible. Even worse than Immortal Empires (that at least looked like space, not a plate of spaghetti after your cat puked on it).
Its gonna be a wierd clash of visuals with those amazing race portraits, nice planets and ships, everytime you zoom out to see those horrible clouds.
I think its the yellow-puke'ish color tint that is the bandit.

Heck im sure it will be moddable, perhaps even just a color tint in a .ini file or something, a .png cloud sprite at the most. But im just confused as how the rest of the game looks great, but the overall galaxy looks like that :P

< Message edited by Baleur -- 3/6/2010 2:19:38 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 13
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 3:33:18 PM   
Sarus

In my view the Galaxy Map with all nebulas and clouds looks real enough. What 4X space games have a better Galaxy Map? The Immortal Empires has too abstract and unreal map, IMHO.

Of course, that is a matter of taste.

< Message edited by Sarus -- 3/6/2010 3:35:51 PM >

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 14
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 5:35:39 PM   
ASHBERY76

The galaxy map has a thousand+ ships to track in real time on the screen which will be tough on your CPU.Most 4X games have not got those issues.The map looks fine in my view.I also love the icons when zoomed out,gives me a armchair emperor feel.

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 15
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 6:33:19 PM   
Xmudder

What does an energy collector do?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 16
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 7:23:46 PM   
Wade1000

The yellow on the zoomed out galaxy map can be thought to represent the billions of stars while the large star dots that are in game play can be thought to represent the best or average of all stars of an area or sector.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/6/2010 7:29:20 PM >

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 17
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 8:11:32 PM   
JosEPhII

Those screenies are eXcellent selling points for the game!

Next couple of weeks will be very eXciting.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 18
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 10:19:27 PM   
Baleur

Im just talking about the general artwork of the galaxy map, it could be vastly more beautiful and/or realistic with the same number of sprites, same resolution textures, or just another hue :)

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 19
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 11:39:38 PM   
Webbco

On the galaxy map, what do the purple '+' symbols represent? They tend to occur mainly in nebula, so I'm guessing some sort of gas resource?

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 20
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/6/2010 11:53:37 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

On the galaxy map, what do the purple '+' symbols represent? They tend to occur mainly in nebula, so I'm guessing some sort of gas resource?

Maybe, but it would be odd to know of all those in early game.

So. yeah...what are they?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 21
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/7/2010 12:14:40 AM   
Deto

I really hope they're some sort of 'notes' you can leave on the map.. would be helpful, considering the scale and size of the galaxy and game :)

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 22
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/7/2010 4:50:45 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur
This game is looking better and better.
But there is still one thing i'm dissapointed by, visually..

The galaxy map / zoomed out nebulas and clouds.
It just looks so horrible. Even worse than Immortal Empires (that at least looked like space, not a plate of spaghetti after your cat puked on it).
Its gonna be a wierd clash of visuals with those amazing race portraits, nice planets and ships, everytime you zoom out to see those horrible clouds.
I think its the yellow-puke'ish color tint that is the bandit.

Heck im sure it will be moddable, perhaps even just a color tint in a .ini file or something, a .png cloud sprite at the most. But im just confused as how the rest of the game looks great, but the overall galaxy looks like that :P

Jason and I spent ages trying to get something we were happy with for the galaxy look - you can never please everyone on that subjective stuff

Anyway, you can plop in anything you like as the galaxy background image. There's actually some others included in the game - you'll just have to rename the files. There's a nice light blue one that might be more to your liking.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 23
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/7/2010 4:51:52 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xmudder
What does an energy collector do?

That's kind of like a solar panel - generates energy for a stationary base instead of needing to consume fuel.

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 24
RE: Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BE... - 3/7/2010 4:52:44 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Yeah, they're the locations of large gas clouds inside the nebulae. These gas clouds usually have a mineable gas resource.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Wargamer Preview Part 2 - High Res Pics - Dialup BEWARE! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI