Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The tojo as uber.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: The tojo as uber..... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 1:02:40 AM   
freeboy

yep, name calling will see this shut right down..
I do not think anyone can argue the a2a model works as advertized... well they can argue but really whats the point? A2a is certainly one of several flies in the ointment, BUT notthe only one... give this a year and Patch 5 or 6 will probably be the addition of a new a2a model.. followed in a few years by the final version of witp giving us the ability to have statistical anallysys on every battle.. linked to those in the database giving us "in theory the most accurate game ever, but probably coming back to stronger faster planes shootong down weaker slower planes.. oh wait thats what happened in reality!~

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 91
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 7:56:59 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I'd like to second RobBrennan's comments.

I have no problem disagreeing with people or having them disagree with me but going around calling people "brown nosers" for having an opinion which just happens to disagree with yours and be the same as the Matrix opinion is a very low standard.

By the same token just a day ago Terminus' response to a complain was to simply post "Moron" so it goes both ways.

well, to point it out (not that it would matter for you I guess), I usually (and also in this case) use the term "brown noser" if someone slaps me first, in this case by calling me troll. So I got called a troll for basically saying it is BS that in game the airwar in the Pacific happens just below 40.000ft while we all (or probably 99.9% on the forum) - including the devs for sure - know that this wasnīt true in real life due to the (Japanese) aircraft involved that for sure werenīt 40.000ft fighters. Not true in the game. So if someone wants to disagree on that, fine, but still praising someone (who actually wouldnīt dare to say that this is reflecting real life happenings) on the other side for it is for me just what I said, a brown noser.

I appreciate the (non paid) work that was put into AE. I donīt agree that it should have been non paid, I find it ridicoulos so to say, but if someone wants to spend his time not being paid than itīs his decision. I would appreciate it the same way if the work would have been done by employees of Matrix Games. I like the game, just like I did like WITP. I disagree with a lot of things in WITP and for sure a lot of things in AE.

One obvious flaw is the "just below 40.000ft bounce parties" and I guess there is one thing for sure, only a brown noser or someone who does not know anything about the real Pacifc war would say this is excellent work because it is not. And I still donīt get why it is not allowed to post this on the forum because would someone have opened a thread in the WITP forum that says "airwar in the Pacific happened around 40.000ft" then everyone would have pointed out that this is completely ridicoulos. So if a dev is offended by people that point out the obvious, then hey, ho, what an ego. If others then chime in to call those people trolls (or perhaps just me if I forget about all the others who are called trolls by the same people all the time) then I put on a smile on my face and call them "brown nosers" because thatīs just what they are in such a case.

Just because someone appreciates the work of the devs on a product I actually have PAID for (which you shouldnīt forget either) he should NOT defend something that is so absolutely not true that denying it alone is enough not just to call someone a brown noser but many other funny things... But perhaps someone wants to point me out a book that mentions an ongoing airwar in the Pacific from 41-45 that has constantly been fought at altitudes between 35.000 and 40.000ft.

And while itīs just completely childish (but no matter how old certain people are, this wonīt change), I was not the one who again started with it. Someone slapped me in the face with a completely unqualified post naming me troll, I responded in calling him brown noser. Easy? Yeah, slap me left, you get it right on the nose.

Nemo, and why would you think that Matrix (aka the devs) think that itīs fine that airwar should happen at 40.000ft? Those people are perfectly knowing that this isnīt reflecting reality and Iīm sure that wasnīt their intention. Yet with the given routines or stats, this is exactly what it turns out in PBEMs if the people donīt restrict themselve to hrs. Of course it perfectly works against the AI as the AI wonīt keep everything at max ceiling and the player just happily keeps on bouncing the AIīs fighters. Also a good way to play, especially for your ego. You canīt even blame the devs, the routines probably are hard to change, or the stats are hard to decide on, but this is still leading to what we see in most PBEMs. And if it canīt be changed, then be it. But it still doesnīt make it right.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/4/2010 8:03:27 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 92
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 8:09:16 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

yep, name calling will see this shut right down..
I do not think anyone can argue the a2a model works as advertized... well they can argue but really whats the point? A2a is certainly one of several flies in the ointment, BUT notthe only one... give this a year and Patch 5 or 6 will probably be the addition of a new a2a model.. followed in a few years by the final version of witp giving us the ability to have statistical anallysys on every battle.. linked to those in the database giving us "in theory the most accurate game ever, but probably coming back to stronger faster planes shootong down weaker slower planes.. oh wait thats what happened in reality!~

you are right freeboy, name calling should be kept outside the forum, but this was never true in the WITP forum and wonīt be true in the AE forum. Saying this, Iīm sure both forums still are one of the most civilized forums on the net with very few posts going off the track.

but be aware your above statement can already put you on the list and this comment alone can be enough to get flak and itīs just a small step from being a forum member to becoming a troll.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 93
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 10:18:41 AM   
BShaftoe

As a non english-native speaking person, I have a question: "bounce", here, means just "surprise the enemy"?. Or "make a first surprise pass"?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 94
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 12:14:34 PM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Thats just it, there won't be any later stages. The game will be over. Japs win! Again I ask If "ANYONE" played into the later stages(pbem) as the allies and seen real world results for the allies in the game. All the players do here is throw up -"Look at what we get in 1944".

Surely that's why about a half of current AARs show Japanese in full retreat by the late summer of 1942.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 95
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 12:29:47 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BShaftoe

As a non english-native speaking person, I have a question: "bounce", here, means just "surprise the enemy"?. Or "make a first surprise pass"?

bounce in the way it is used here means "attack with an altitude advantage". So even if not being surprised (due to "raid spotted by radar" for example) your fighters get bounced due to at least flying 100ft lower than the enemy. As soon as one side got an altitude advantage (and the game seems not to make a difference between 100ft or 30.000ft) you get the message "xy squadron BOUNCES xy daitai" (WITP) and "yx fighter DIVES on yx fighter" (AE). The "dives on" message then is the most important factor to get a "shoots from behind" which is most often a kill than not.

So you a) want to be flying higher than your enemyīs fighters, b) want to get the "dives on" message to c) get the "shoots from behind" message

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/4/2010 12:52:11 PM >

(in reply to BShaftoe)
Post #: 96
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 12:41:14 PM   
bklooste

quote:

a bounce is slang but like a bouncing ball you dive on an enemy build up speed form the dive shoot a few times and use the speed to keep going past them and backup ( like a bouncing ball) , this allows superior pilots little chance to manuever however it is more important in 1:1 dog fighting games since it neglects mission , surprise and unit tactics all of which were more important. That being said there is a bonus to being higher.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to BShaftoe)
Post #: 97
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 12:50:10 PM   
BShaftoe

Ok, it's clear now. I get the rest of the conversation, but the meaning of "bouncing" here just confused me, because I cannot imagine a squadron bouncing another one in the "usual" meaning...

(in reply to bklooste)
Post #: 98
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 5:39:54 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Ok, it's clear now. I get the rest of the conversation, but the meaning of "bouncing" here just confused me, because I cannot imagine a squadron bouncing another one in the "usual" meaning...

Yeah, in this instance the bounce is more akin to the tactic of 'diving out of the sun' such as used by the AVG against the Japanese over China. The AVG is a very good example of a mediocre aircraft (P-40C) using superior tactics to gain the advantage. Unfortunately the game doesn't seem to model this well (or rather models it too well).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to BShaftoe)
Post #: 99
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 7:38:13 PM   
Nemo121

castor troy, decrying the other as childish and then retreating to the level of "he started it" really establishes a low base of behaviour.

I see you've decided to continue the discussion in this thread - which isn't going to get anyone rational and adult to join in or take you seriously.

Goodbye, if you reflect and see some sense and have a fresh, rational start in a new thread I may contribute further. I think others might consider taking the same stance, it is probably the best chance for the many to hold the line against unseemly behaviour.

And just in case anyone decides to go asking who I am to be posting "sage" advice... Someone who would have joined in in this particular furball with relish a few years ago but, thankfully, we all have the capacity to learn, even castor troy ( and I ). IOW no special qualifications or anything just, I hope, a little bit of common sense ( although probably not enough )

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 3/4/2010 7:45:37 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 100
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/4/2010 9:09:22 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy
Iīm sure both forums still are one of the most civilized forums on the net

Very sad, but probably true.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 101
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/5/2010 3:25:25 AM   
bklooste

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Yeah, in this instance the bounce is more akin to the tactic of 'diving out of the sun' such as used by the AVG against the Japanese over China. The AVG is a very good example of a mediocre aircraft (P-40C) using superior tactics to gain the advantage. Unfortunately the game doesn't seem to model this well (or rather models it too well).

Maybe the game does model it well and we are reading a few too many tales about AVG, it would take a lot of skill to dive out of the sun in China unless your going to be sweeping at sunset or late afternoon as you will need to go behind the Japanese. Speaking of which most players waste AVG against the Japanese cream instead of China where they fought lesser opponents also the Japanese know they are in Burma so send more quantity and quality than historical.

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 102
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/5/2010 8:28:09 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Why is this sad? Wonna more work as a moderator?

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 103
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/5/2010 8:35:22 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

castor troy, decrying the other as childish and then retreating to the level of "he started it" really establishes a low base of behaviour.

I see you've decided to continue the discussion in this thread - which isn't going to get anyone rational and adult to join in or take you seriously.

Goodbye, if you reflect and see some sense and have a fresh, rational start in a new thread I may contribute further. I think others might consider taking the same stance, it is probably the best chance for the many to hold the line against unseemly behaviour.

And just in case anyone decides to go asking who I am to be posting "sage" advice... Someone who would have joined in in this particular furball with relish a few years ago but, thankfully, we all have the capacity to learn, even castor troy ( and I ). IOW no special qualifications or anything just, I hope, a little bit of common sense ( although probably not enough )

The childish was pointed at MYSELVE anyway:

And while itīs just completely childish (but no matter how old certain people are, this wonīt change), I was not the one who again started with it.

Still it is like it is, Iīm not the kind of person who gets slapped and waits for the next slap. Probably 98% of the people are the same anyway.

Other than calling me a troll, I have not seen someone who actually said: "the airwar in the Pacific was fought just below 40.000ft in real life". Yet I always see: "the modelling of the airwar in AE is near perfect and working very well, reflecting real life as close as possible". Those two statements definetely donīt match. The modelling of airwar in AE is a vast improvement over WITP but it definetely still needs as much improvement in AE as it needed (and received) in WITP. But thatīs just my troll opinion I guess. It stays the same though, if people arenīt restricting themselve in a PBEM (not needed in AI games) to keep their fighters at reasonable alts, you will get a Pacific airwar at altitudes between 30k and 40.000ft. And this is not reflecting real life at all, at least not in my book. Iīm happy to be taught otherwise though.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/5/2010 8:36:44 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 104
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/5/2010 2:05:50 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why is this sad? Wonna more work as a moderator?

No, it's very sad that this is about the best that our "civilization" can do for a forum.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 105
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 12:06:18 AM   
TheElf

The Wildcat was not well suited for the fight at Guadalcanal. It had a bunch of weight in the back that we could have dispensed with very nicely. It was beefed up for carrier landings in the rear and we didn't need it. But there wasn't anything to be done in that regard. So because of this we'd work like hell to climb to 23,000-24,000 feet. At that altitude when you make a turn you lose 1,000 feet, and it's very easy to stall out. In theory the F4F had a higher service ceiling but not in practice. You'd look up there and there sit the Japs at 30,000 looking right down your gazoo. A real fun time. You couldn't get that bird much higher than 24,000: not you, not Jesus, nobody. The bird wouldn't go any higher.

- Roger Haberman, VMF-121 Vet. as quoted in Fire in the Sky

Zeke vs. Wildcat debate aside, some aircraft can just fly higher. If that isn't working in your favor, try a new tactic. That is the point of this game, to provide you, the player with the same challenges as the real Commanders. If your opponent is using a performance advantage against you, then seek an advantage of your own to counter it.

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 106
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 6:00:15 AM   
FrankE

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

The Wildcat was not well suited for the fight at Guadalcanal. It had a bunch of weight in the back that we could have dispensed with very nicely. It was beefed up for carrier landings in the rear and we didn't need it. But there wasn't anything to be done in that regard. So because of this we'd work like hell to climb to 23,000-24,000 feet. At that altitude when you make a turn you lose 1,000 feet, and it's very easy to stall out. In theory the F4F had a higher service ceiling but not in practice. You'd look up there and there sit the Japs at 30,000 looking right down your gazoo. A real fun time. You couldn't get that bird much higher than 24,000: not you, not Jesus, nobody. The bird wouldn't go any higher.

Zeke vs. Wildcat debate aside, some aircraft can just fly higher. If that isn't working in your favor, try a new tactic. That is the point of this game, to provide you, the player with the same challenges as the real Commanders. If your opponent is using a performance advantage against you, then seek an advantage of your own to counter it.

And yet,for a variety of reasons that aren't modeled in the game, in real life all fighter sweeps weren't conducted at maximum altitude. But that's the best tactic in AE. The same goes for CAP, there are reasons that CAP was layered at different altitudes but it's just silly to do that in AE.

IMO, a couple of relatively simple changes would go a long way towards getting more realistic air combat in AE.

1) If the altitude difference (between sweep/CAP and CAP/bombers) is greater than 10K, chances of an intercept occuring is reduced drastically. The bigger the altitude difference, the smaller the chance. Chance of intercept is increased with better radar.

2) If a sweep is conducted at an altitude higher than the max altitude of the CAP planes, any CAP that doesn't have a commander with a very high aggressiveness should have a good chance of declining combat altogether.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 107
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 6:20:42 AM   
TheElf

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankE

quote:

And yet,for a variety of reasons that aren't modeled in the game, in real life all fighter sweeps weren't conducted at maximum altitude. But that's the best tactic in AE. The same goes for CAP, there are reasons that CAP was layered at different altitudes but it's just silly to do that in AE.

IMO, a couple of relatively simple changes would go a long way towards getting more realistic air combat in AE.

1) If the altitude difference (between sweep/CAP and CAP/bombers) is greater than 10K, chances of an intercept occuring is reduced drastically. The bigger the altitude difference, the smaller the chance. Chance of intercept is increased with better radar.

2) If a sweep is conducted at an altitude higher than the max altitude of the CAP planes, any CAP that doesn't have a commander with a very high aggressiveness should have a good chance of declining combat altogether.

In real life altitude was a critical factor in Air Combat. Yeah they didn't ALWAYS fly at there Max ceiling, but they did fly at higher relative altitudes than their opponenets if the performance of their crate allowed it. The fact that players choose to fly their AC at such high altitudes isn't up to me to decide, it's up to the players. If you are losing, cuz your Defenders are at a performance deficit then you have lost the strategic initiative. Just like anything else, it'll come full circle and the shoe will be on the other foot.

Declining combat and what? Getting away scott free?

Can you imagine the uproar, (from both sides) when combat never occurs? Next thing you know Players who see their sweeps become utterly useless will whine and moan that their High alt sweeps are ineffective against lower ceiling CAPs because they flee and avoid combat, and that CAPs composed of Higher Ceiling defenders negate their offensive advantage with radar, and force their AC to flee. Then everyone will wank that A2A combat NEVER occurs because any side that finds itself at a disadvantage avoids combat altogether.

Where would you draw the line? When you, and only you have the advantage?

< Message edited by TheElf -- 3/6/2010 6:33:24 AM >

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to FrankE)
Post #: 108
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 2:06:57 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

In real life altitude was a critical factor in Air Combat. Yeah they didn't ALWAYS fly at there Max ceiling, but they did fly at higher relative altitudes than their opponenets if the performance of their crate allowed it. The fact that players choose to fly their AC at such high altitudes isn't up to me to decide, it's up to the players. If you are losing, cuz your Defenders are at a performance deficit then you have lost the strategic initiative. Just like anything else, it'll come full circle and the shoe will be on the other foot.

Can you imagine the uproar, (from both sides) when combat never occurs? Next thing you know Players who see their sweeps become utterly useless will whine and moan that their High alt sweeps are ineffective against lower ceiling CAPs because they flee and avoid combat, and that CAPs composed of Higher Ceiling defenders negate their offensive advantage with radar, and force their AC to flee. Then everyone will wank that A2A combat NEVER occurs because any side that finds itself at a disadvantage avoids combat altogether.

Elf,

Great to see you back!

Appreciate your comments and insights.

Great job of the A2A model. Thanks for your efforts.

Pax

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 109
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 5:08:41 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

I disagree with this somewhat , i find layered CAP can work against high sweeps depending on which CAP planes the sweep goes for 1st. EG.. P39's at 10k get bounced by zeros flying high(with no altitude data in the combat replays it's impossible to confirm the following, just my gut instsinct ) it seems the sweep planes and CAP try and close but planes will always dive faster than those climbing (esp the crummy P39's) .. so combat occurs between the 2 altitude settings , sake of argument lets assume they meet at 15k. As you all know CAP tends to dribble in from multiple patrols forming up so your CAP P40's set at 19k finally arrive and get the bounce on the Zeros at 15k where they have battered the P39's. the allies won't win this battle , but then again they shouldnt. Lets assume 6 P39's shot down and several more damaged (these planes do seem to take a bit of killing so the pilots can survive quite often) , the P40's kill 3 Zeros and damage several more while losing 4 of their own to the japanese fight back when the furball forms up after the P40 bounce. Given that japanese planes are notorious for falling apart in a light breeze a lot of damaged planes wont get home , this means the allies actually 'win' on pilot losses. In the long run (like the real war) pilot quality is like gold dust. If you can preserve your own and kill the enemys you win long term.

there is always the chance that the Zeros bounce the P40's 1st however then the allies do get plastered. But the more alt bands you use on defensive CAP the more chance the highest groups won't get hit 1st so you get some payback eventually.

I have used this in a PBEM guad scenario and it works for me (sometimes) eventually the japanese just stopped sweping as thier losses were unacceptable after a while. Some caveats here though , dont fight Sweeps unless you have to and don't do it with inferior numbers either.

Also unless you actually watch the animation you just cant see whats really happened as the combat reports are so way off in numbers as to be virtually useless unless the combat is completely one sided.

Diclaimer - , this is just one persons opinion and experiemce with the game not a magic how to defeat sweeps rule. so please don't harrangue me personally. I am always open to new ideas and others experiences however.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 110
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 5:12:36 PM   
FrankE

quote:

In real life altitude was a critical factor in Air Combat. Yeah they didn't ALWAYS fly at there Max ceiling, but they did fly at higher relative altitudes than their opponents if the performance of their crate allowed it.

I disagree. If that were true, why did almost all combat in the pacific (and Russian front for that matter) occur at altitudes of less than 20k feet?

There's a logical leap here that just doesn't follow. Fighters at a higher altitude have a tactical/energy advantage [TRUE] therefore it's advantageous to fly fighters at their maximum altitude [TRUE in AE, FALSE historically].

Maybe the bounce algorithm is too dependent on the starting altitude of both sides? In real life there were probably a lot of other factors (not modeled in the game) that came into play to determine whether one side bounced the other or not.

quote:

The fact that choose to fly their AC at such high altitudes isn't up to me to decide, it's up to the players.

Granted that it isn't your decision but if the players are doing something ahistorical to 'game' the system then it should be discouraged by the game engine.

quote:

If you are losing, cuz your Defenders are at a performance deficit then you have lost the strategic initiative. Just like anything else, it'll come full circle and the shoe will be on the other foot.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Thunderbolts and Mustangs constantly sweeping at over 40K feet.

quote:

Yup. There's certainly plenty of historical precedent for it. P-39/400 units at PM and Guadalcanal for instance. Or pretty much all the japanese fighters versus high altitude B-29 raids. Just because they didn't fly to intercept the B-29s didn't keep them from flying against carrier raids on the coast.

quote:

I don't think you draw a line, more of a very fuzzy border region. It shouldn't be an all-or-nothing deal.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 111
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 5:20:54 PM   
FrankE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK

quote:

I disagree with this somewhat , i find layered CAP can work against high sweeps depending on which CAP planes the sweep goes for 1st. EG.. P39's at 10k get bounced by zeros flying high(with no altitude data in the combat replays it's impossible to confirm the following, just my gut instsinct ) it seems the sweep planes and CAP try and close but planes will always dive faster than those climbing (esp the crummy P39's) .. so combat occurs between the 2 altitude settings , sake of argument lets assume they meet at 15k. As you all know CAP tends to dribble in from multiple patrols forming up so your CAP P40's set at 19k finally arrive and get the bounce on the Zeros at 15k where they have battered the P39's. the allies won't win this battle , but then again they shouldnt. Lets assume 6 P39's shot down and several more damaged (these planes do seem to take a bit of killing so the pilots can survive quite often) , the P40's kill 3 Zeros and damage several more while losing 4 of their own to the japanese fight back when the furball forms up after the P40 bounce. Given that japanese planes are notorious for falling apart in a light breeze a lot of damaged planes wont get home , this means the allies actually 'win' on pilot losses. In the long run (like the real war) pilot quality is like gold dust. If you can preserve your own and kill the enemys you win long term.

there is always the chance that the Zeros bounce the P40's 1st however then the allies do get plastered. But the more alt bands you use on defensive CAP the more chance the highest groups won't get hit 1st so you get some payback eventually.

I have used this in a PBEM guad scenario and it works for me (sometimes) eventually the japanese just stopped sweping as thier losses were unacceptable after a while. Some caveats here though , dont fight Sweeps unless you have to and don't do it with inferior numbers either.

Also unless you actually watch the animation you just cant see whats really happened as the combat reports are so way off in numbers as to be virtually useless unless the combat is completely one sided.

Diclaimer - , this is just one persons opinion and experiemce with the game not a magic how to defeat sweeps rule. so please don't harrangue me personally. I am always open to new ideas and others experiences however.

Good point, I really hadn't considered that. I was thinking of layered CAPs more in terms of bomber intercepts (where I don't notice any advantage of using them) than in terms of fighter intercepts.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 112
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 5:32:49 PM   
jwilkerson

There has been a lot of talk about an altitude advantage being decisive. Yet, to date, I haven't seen any data to indicate that this talk is indicative of real "in game" results.

Both before and after game release - there have been a few people talking about this. Before release I did some sand box testing and could not establish any decisive results with altitude advantage. In order to run a good sand box test of a given factor, one must rule out all other factors, or at least as many other factors as possible. In establishing the existence of the "sweep bonus" years ago in WITP - I got practiced at creating a good air to air sand box. Roughly it includes these elements.

01 - The planes used should be identical on both sides.
02 - All pilots and leaders should be identical on both sides.
03 - The air bases used should be identical on both sides.
04 - All supporting land units and leaders of land units should be identical on both sides.
05 - Just to be sure - run all tests in both directions with identical settings.
06 - Some effects may be date dependent so running tests with different dates may be indicated depending on what you are hunting for.

The above is the procedure I use when doing air to air testing. I did do this before release for altitude and sweep bonuses and found nothing unexpected. Experience, firepower and durability were still the "high leverage" attributes determining the outcome. Maneuver has always been a relatively low impact factor. Air warning also matters - probably more in AE than in WITP.

If someone wants to perform some testing roughly like the above and post the results - I'm sure we would all be interested. But until we have some good data - we are just chatting here.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to FrankE)
Post #: 113
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 5:58:19 PM   
Shark7

Just a thought here, as far as real game and not a test sandbox, it seems to me that the better pilot, in the better plane, using better tactics should win. There are a lot of factors that go into air to air combat, not just who started at a higher altitude or which plane can turn in a smaller arc. You can't possibly account for all that is going on in the combat resolutions without having to realize that it is a number of factors that affects the outcome. The only way to test a single aspect's effect on the resolution is to do as jwilkerson has posted above and isolate each factor independently.

Reality:

In the early stages of the war, the Japanese player will have all 3 of the things I mentioned above. As the war progresses, this will even out, then eventually turn into an Allied advantage. By war's end the Allied player will have P-51s, Hellcats, Corsairs, Tempest, P-47s, P-38s, etc. These planes are all on par or superiour to the late war Japanese planes, unlike the early war planes which are generally inferior (F-2A Buffalo, etc).

In the case of Tojo v Hurricane over Burma in mid to late '42, the Japanese player still has the advantage in pilot experience (if he has done his homework and utilized all the tools available to ensure that squadrons retain moderate to high experience levels) and aircraft performance (though it is razor thin in this instance). Once the Hurricane bumps up to later models or changes to Spitfires, the plane performance will go in favor of the Allies. Tactics in this case is being supplied by the player using his altitude advantage to maximum effect while sweeping over Allied territory.

I really don't see an issue here. Yes the Japanese player has an early advantage, but it will evaporate. That is what historically happened with exceptions...the AVG being chief among the exceptions. But the AVG had excellent leadership and experienced pilots that understood the strengths and weaknesses of their airframes.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 114
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 6:36:45 PM   
Big B

Joe, I'm not volunteering to do the testing here () - but I just want to make an observation.

It seems to me that your test conditions listed below are rock solid for establishing a baseline. However, after establishing that baseline, how can one know what the effects of different aircraft ratings in different categories will be - unless one starts to throw in those different stats systematically? (checking baseline results against dissimilar aircraft results).

B
quote:

There has been a lot of talk about an altitude advantage being decisive. Yet, to date, I haven't seen any data to indicate that this talk is indicative of real "in game" results.

Both before and after game release - there have been a few people talking about this. Before release I did some sand box testing and could not establish any decisive results with altitude advantage. In order to run a good sand box test of a given factor, one must rule out all other factors, or at least as many other factors as possible. In establishing the existence of the "sweep bonus" years ago in WITP - I got practiced at creating a good air to air sand box. Roughly it includes these elements.

01 - The planes used should be identical on both sides.
02 - All pilots and leaders should be identical on both sides.
03 - The air bases used should be identical on both sides.
04 - All supporting land units and leaders of land units should be identical on both sides.
05 - Just to be sure - run all tests in both directions with identical settings.
06 - Some effects may be date dependent so running tests with different dates may be indicated depending on what you are hunting for.

The above is the procedure I use when doing air to air testing. I did do this before release for altitude and sweep bonuses and found nothing unexpected. Experience, firepower and durability were still the "high leverage" attributes determining the outcome. Maneuver has always been a relatively low impact factor. Air warning also matters - probably more in AE than in WITP.

If someone wants to perform some testing roughly like the above and post the results - I'm sure we would all be interested. But until we have some good data - we are just chatting here.

< Message edited by Big B -- 3/6/2010 6:37:47 PM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 115
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 6:57:39 PM   
viberpol

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I just sent the file to Ark and we are going to run the turn over a few times with different settings. We will run the turn with the same settings a time or two to see if the outcome varies.

Does anybody remember the beginning of this thread?
We were both staring with amazement at the results of the encounter over the skies in North Australia.
Crsutton maintaned that the "Tojo uber" results stem from high altitude sweep.
As quoted, we did a test on the same file, but this time Tojos were sent sweepeing at the same altitude as defending Allied fighters. Every other conditions (numbers, commanders, etc.) were similar to the initial turn results.
Here are the results:

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet. (CR always shows higher altitute in this place, my fighters were really sent at 14 kFeet, if they go through the CAP, there's info at the end, but, even when receiving such a good ratio, Japanese fighters were all forced to retreat)
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 42

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 10
P-40E Warhawk x 57

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 14 destroyed

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (10 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 14000
Raid is overhead
49th FG/7th FS with P-40E Warhawk (14 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
14 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
49th FG/8th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 15 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes
49th FG/9th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 13 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (15 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
15 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

I can now say that this success is not because of the advantageous (some say, gamey) high altitude sweep (as it was suggested).
Tojos are just marvellous fighters in AE, when backed up by great commander, good quality pilots, low fatigue... etc.
I am glad it works this way and see no issue here.

< Message edited by viberpol -- 3/6/2010 7:00:12 PM >

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 116
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 8:19:12 PM   
Athius

But what is it that makes the Tojo so good? In comparison to the Oscar it would seem to be the weaker fighter. Less max alt, lessmanoeuvrability, worse arnament (more guns but the 7.7's appear to be useless and the 13.2mm's are Front mounted instead of the Center mounted Oscar Variant, making them less accurate)

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 117
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 8:20:01 PM   
Big B

Well, yes I do, which is why I went off on a tangent about other things being at work here.

To sum up your report below, 39 P-40E's engaged 42 KI-44 Tojo's (a 1:1 match-up) and lost 16 P-40's to 0 Japanese...hence "Tojo's are Uber" in the original complaint.

The combat result is not impossible, but shouldn't be an average either (325th FG P-40F's & P-40L's in the MTO achieved even better results & and at far worse odds too - against BF-109's a couple of times).

B
quote:

ORIGINAL: viberpol

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I just sent the file to Ark and we are going to run the turn over a few times with different settings. We will run the turn with the same settings a time or two to see if the outcome varies.

Does anybody remember the beginning of this thread?
We were both staring with amazement at the results of the encounter over the skies in North Australia.
Crsutton maintaned that the "Tojo uber" results stem from high altitude sweep.
As quoted, we did a test on the same file, but this time Tojos were sent sweepeing at the same altitude as defending Allied fighters. Every other conditions (numbers, commanders, etc.) were similar to the initial turn results.
Here are the results:

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet. (CR always shows higher altitute in this place, my fighters were really sent at 14 kFeet, if they go through the CAP, there's info at the end, but, even when receiving such a good ratio, Japanese fighters were all forced to retreat)
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 42

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk IA x 10
P-40E Warhawk x 57

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk IA: 2 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 14 destroyed

CAP engaged:
No.75 Sqn RAAF with Kittyhawk IA (10 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
49th FG/7th FS with P-40E Warhawk (14 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
14 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
49th FG/8th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 15 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
49th FG/9th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 13 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
28th CG/11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (15 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
15 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

I can now say that this success is not because of the advantageous (some say, gamey) high altitude sweep (as it was suggested).
Tojos are just marvellous fighters in AE, when backed up by great commander, good quality pilots, low fatigue... etc.
I am glad it works this way and see no issue here.

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 118
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 9:03:41 PM   
viberpol

quote:

ORIGINAL: Athius
But what is it that makes the Tojo so good? In comparison to the Oscar it would seem to be the weaker fighter. Less max alt, lessmanoeuvrability, worse arnament (more guns but the 7.7's appear to be useless and the 13.2mm's are Front mounted instead of the Center mounted Oscar Variant, making them less accurate)

It's just quite comforting to know that even such a mediocre (as some players in this thread called Tojo ) plane can be dangerous and deadly weapon... IMHO, again, this is not an uber Tojo case, nor the high sweep problem (if any really exists). We can only talk about this particular complex case, these particular results... these pilots, fatigue levels, this particular difference in mvr ratings, speed ratings, these commanders... etc. ranging sometimes from a complete disaster and a great victory.
Sometimes the puzzle is just too complex to pull out outrageous thesis (such as high alt sweep is borked )

But from my experience, if you find a good leader for your squadron, with Air Skill of 70 or more, you can have similar results quite often...

< Message edited by viberpol -- 3/6/2010 9:09:03 PM >

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to Athius)
Post #: 119
RE: The tojo as uber..... - 3/6/2010 9:07:41 PM   
pompack

I have not said much because it seems like I am playing a different game. This is all anecdotal instead of a formal test, but here is my recent (PBEM) experience with sweeps and Tojos

My game has reached (at least temporerily) a state of equilibrium in late July 42. There are three Allied airbases with varying numbers of P40E's and Hurricanes within range of seven Japanese bases with (until recently) Oscar 1c's. As the Japanese, I have been running between two and seven sweeps per day against one or more of these Allied bases. I have sent in the sweeps at 15k, 20k, 25k and 30k and sometimes all of them at the same time. The Japanese fighter pilots are mostly 50-72 air skill and 50-70 experience (I try to fill losses with vets from the reserve but sometimes have to add a rookie or two). I don't know the Allied skill levels, but I suspect that they are about the same or higher since my opponent has the majority of his units in training due to the usual Allied early-war shortage of airframes. Recently he has added seveal F4F units and a single P38. For the last three weeks there have been at least two sweeps per day. The result has been ... average. the usual result is I lose two, he loses one then I lose 1 and he loses three then I lose three and he loses two and repeat.

After reading this thread, I was eagerly anticipating the Tojo rout. I carefully brought up my pre-production Tojo unit and two new units fresh from five months of training and then Tojo conversion. I launched all three at 30k feet, one at each of the target airbases. Just to make sure, I also keep up the pressure with sweeps from seven Oscar units as well. After three days of intense fighting the results have been ... just the same as before. In Tojo combat I lost 12 and destroyed 14 while losing 38 Oscars who destroyed 28 allied aircraft. These were the A2A results; when I include ops losses I came off considerable worse- just like the previous three weeks. At this point I am back to rest mode while I wait for replacement a/c and fresh pilots

So in 24 days of combat with somewhere between two and nine sweeps per day at altitudes between 15k and 30k (and with the average above 25k) I never achieved better than a 7:2 kill ratio with a single sweep. Now it may be significant that the largest sweep was less than 20 a/c and most were between five and 10 a/c; the defenders were usually 30-40 but quite often they were outnumbered when the fight started, the rest joining later.

As I say, certainly not controlled testing. However it is a large number of individual fights. And yes, I do feel that I am losing the battle

< Message edited by pompack -- 3/6/2010 9:09:51 PM >

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: The tojo as uber..... Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI