Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 7:22:03 AM   
Sarissofoi

Actually SotS had only one basic option: Glass them(you only choose how to glass them). Recently xeno techs were added and you can demand surrender from enemy planets. You can blockad them and if their morale drop  low they will surender. You need only keep them under blockade for some time. And ofcourse kick ass any defending or relief fleet they have send to deal with you. When they surrender  this is part for genocide. Why?
First:You need enough level of xenotech , if you dont have enough alien colonist will die.
Second:Becoze you must terramorf planet to your standarts(on you will take massive economic penalty) and that mean extremly high death number to alien race colonist(especially if their home planet have big diffrences in hospitability with yours).
Then demanding surrender is ok. That was very good freature. I like it. You can blockade them and play nice if you want(and I like this). Yeah that is right directions. But they still have long way ahead.

And about extermination.
Food. Target food production+blocakde planet from help you will see more deaths on planet that you imagine. Hunger and disease will kill milions. More population in colony=more victims.
Also food can be used to control alien population. Brutal? Yeah, sure. Welcome in real world.

< Message edited by Sarissofoi -- 3/4/2010 7:28:53 AM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 91
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 7:37:58 AM   
Wade1000

Okay.

Armada 2526 has 6 options for post conquest of systems...not just one planet. The words chosen are all gramatically similiar and sound like a nice poem...heh. I like them.
The options are: (In quotes is what the mouse-over tooltip shows.)

-Subjugate ("Take control of the colony")
-Exterminate ("Eleminate all life at this colony (#) casualties")
-Devastate (This will detroy structures.)
-Contaminate (This requires infection technology and the ships to deliver it as a weapon.)
-Obliterate ( This asteroid ship technology and the ships built to deliver them as weapons.)
-Take No Action ("Do nothing")

These options might be someting to consider for Distant Worlds. Don't worry about an issue of copying. It's good to emulate good ideas.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/4/2010 8:21:24 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 92
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 7:54:02 AM   
Duckfang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
Yet...you agree with GalCiv2's mechanic of disallowing planetary bombardment and post conquest genocide options. (I am unfamiliar with what features Sword of the Stars has.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GalCiv2 had several different methods of planetary assault.

Off the top of my head there was conventional assault (ie, landing waves and waves of troops), core detonation, tidal disruption, poison gas, dropping asteroids on the planet, and a hearts & minds style information warfare.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Hahaha.
Get real man. Look what happend on earth when people fighting each other. And then think that there is epic total war in space against alien races.
Yeah, they are jerks.
But ofcourse if you and your enemy agrre to some sort of deal(for example you sign that you dont use biochemical weapons) and then broke this deal then yeah - massive diplomatic penalty is understable. In other case - It is war.
Remember :
"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

Dont espect that everobody will play nice in galaxy and dont ecspect that anobody will care if that don affect them.

Congrats for completely ignoring what I said.

I didn't say it doesn't happen or that no one does it. I said there should be repercussions for carrying it out.

Remember how popular the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany were after word of their atrocities got out? Remember how shocked most Germans were when they found out about the concentration camps?

"Well I was at war!" isn't usually regarded as a very good way to excuse senseless acts of genocide and destruction.

Some races wouldn't care about such things, but to any race similar to our own I'm pretty sure such things are abhorrent. Sometimes justified, perhaps, but outright genocide and extermination is still generally frowned upon.

There are exceptions of course, and Wade touches on some of them quite well:

quote:

I totaly believe that present or future Humans and similiar races would be willing to often do genocide via planetary bombardment and post conquest options. Especially if the target enemy races are Borg-like, Zerg-like(Starcraft), Flood-like(Halo), Tyranid-like(Warhammer 40,000), any various races like spiders,insects, or others similiar that are extremly different and hostile to us(like they eat us or do genocide against us), maybe like the Wraith of Stargate Atlantis, any robotic race that are extremly different and hostile to us(like they do genocide gainst us): maybe like Terminators and their Skynet AI leader, or like Replicators of Stargate-SG1 TV series.

I do agree with this. Races like the Borg, Zerg and machine races can be reasoned in the minds of most people as not really being intelligent in the same way as we are, and thus genocide isn't really so different from culling an animal population - a necessary step. The same applies to a race that sees us as a food supply or one that has previously committed genocide against us.

Though I doubt the game will go into this kind of depth (if Elliot does decide to add bombardment and genocide), it'd be nice to have a set of modifiers that control how your own population regard acts of genocide.

For example, if Race A and Race B are at war over some disputed territory and both are a democratic Human-like (in terms of values, etc) race and Race A commits genocide against Race B they (Race A) might experience serious unrest against the perceived atrocities.

Race B then retaliates with a similar act of genocide, but Race B's population is more willing to give it a pass on the grounds that "they deserved it" so Race B experiences perhaps still a small morale hit, but not nearly as large as the one Race A took.

Or, as Wade said, bombarding a race of living nightmares like the Zerg shouldn't really bring any serious hits to your civilian morale. Also, as I pointed out earlier, if you're playing as the Zerg you shouldn't experience any of those kinds of morale penalties as your people either don't care or aren't capable of caring.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 93
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 8:53:09 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckfang

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GalCiv2 had several different methods of planetary assault.

Off the top of my head there was conventional assault (ie, landing waves and waves of troops), core detonation, tidal disruption, poison gas, dropping asteroids on the planet, and a hearts & minds style information warfare.

Alright, well, I may be mistaken on that part seeing as how I never played beyond the original game without the 2 expansions. I know, I hear the game is much improved with the expansions. Maybe I should consider trying them. I DID forget about the addition of, in the second expansion, the ship that destroys stars. "core detonation, tidal disruption, poison gas, dropping asteroids on the planet, and a hearts & minds style information warfare." If these are additional options in the two Galactic Civilization 2 expansions then that is good.
Or are they from Sword of the Stars?

quote:

I do agree with this. Races like the Borg, Zerg and machine races can be reasoned in the minds of most people as not really being intelligent in the same way as we are, and thus genocide isn't really so different from culling an animal population - a necessary step. The same applies to a race that sees us as a food supply or one that has previously committed genocide against us.

Though I doubt the game will go into this kind of depth (if Elliot does decide to add bombardment and genocide), it'd be nice to have a set of modifiers that control how your own population regard acts of genocide.

For example, if Race A and Race B are at war over some disputed territory and both are a democratic Human-like (in terms of values, etc) race and Race A commits genocide against Race B they (Race A) might experience serious unrest against the perceived atrocities.

Race B then retaliates with a similar act of genocide, but Race B's population is more willing to give it a pass on the grounds that "they deserved it" so Race B experiences perhaps still a small morale hit, but not nearly as large as the one Race A took.

Or, as Wade said, bombarding a race of living nightmares like the Zerg shouldn't really bring any serious hits to your civilian morale. Also, as I pointed out earlier, if you're playing as the Zerg you shouldn't experience any of those kinds of morale penalties as your people either don't care or aren't capable of caring.

I like your ideas here. I have rethought about a race's OWN population getting unhappy due to bombardment and genocide against races similiar to us.

I agree that, the more similiar the target race is to one's own race, and if one's own race is not xenophobic, then there should be degrees of unhappiness penalties applied to one's own population; as well as diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races similiar to one's own.
Xenophobic races should be immune to their own population becomming unhappy due to planetary bombardment and genocide; but still affected by diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races different than them.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 8:05:00 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Duckfang)
Post #: 94
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 9:36:34 AM   
Gertjan

Tense discussion we have going here. Let's keep it nice. Can somebody please explain what the current options are in the game DW?
Wade, you should really try Galciv2 again. It has really improved. The AI is very good and there is some really entertaining dialogue.
While I agree with very extreme races on the moral aspects of genocide, I disagree on this aspect if the races are quite similar to humans and there would be even relationships between people of different races in peace times or because of trade and tourism. In these cases there might be considerable opposition to wiping them out, or it might have considerable diplomatic repercussions from similar races. I hope that in the case of the humans it is quite likely in DW that a part of the empire defects to a new empire in the game (or even more than 1). This could pose some moral dilemmas if the only options was a la Rome TW to completely wipe them out.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 95
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 9:52:38 AM   
Duckfang

Were the varied assault options only in the expansions? I don't think I've played GalCiv2 without them. My bad, then.

Glad we were able to find some common ground, Wade. Though I would disagree that a xenophobic race would be okay with exterminating another species; they may not wish to deal with them but that doesn't necessarily mean they wish them any ill. I would say it should be more tied to aggression.

EDIT: I left the "out" out of "without". Whoops.

< Message edited by Duckfang -- 3/4/2010 11:27:48 AM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 96
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 11:10:39 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

Were the varied assault options only in the expansions? I don't think I've played GalCiv2 with them. My bad, then.

Unless they were in the very later research tree or a very later update patch. I never could get interested enough to play that far.

quote:

Glad we were able to find some common ground, Wade. Though I would disagree that a xenophobic race would be okay with exterminating another species; they may not wish to deal with them but that doesn't necessarily mean they wish them any ill. I would say it should be more tied to aggression.

Another good point. Thankyou. Now I should go back and edit "xenophobic" to "extremly aggresive" in the wish list thread.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/4/2010 11:11:52 AM >

(in reply to Duckfang)
Post #: 97
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 11:39:33 AM   
Wade1000

All the race portrait art is very well done. To me, the Sulken race portrait art seems exceptionally well done. I kept going back to look at it. I have put it as my screen/desktop picture now.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/4/2010 12:12:24 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 98
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 12:11:55 PM   
Wade1000

I am consolidating, via "quote" button and copy/pasting, the alien races to the top/original post of this thread so that we can more easily see them all. This will help out new people viewing especially. The race portraits are in order of the number before their race name in the portraits.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/20/2010 4:07:04 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 99
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 4:38:31 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

All the race portrait art is very well done. To me, the Sulken race portrait art seems exceptionally well done. I kept going back to look at it. I have put it as my screen/desktop picture now.

My thoughts exactly Wade!

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 100
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 5:45:14 PM   
Baleur

They look better than in any other space 4x game i can think of to be honest. Give that artist a raise! (if the game sells well)
I wish all indie games had this good artwork =)

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 101
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 5:48:34 PM   
ASHBERY76

Do the race portraits move ala CIV4 or are they static?

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 102
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 6:19:44 PM   
CV Zuikaku

I would also like that players have wide varieties of choices for sealing with populatio on planets, colonies, newly conquered planets... genocidal, less genocidal, mind control, hearts and minds... we should have a choice! Leaders of space civilizations have and will have all those choices, and it is up to player to build reputation of his empire. It woul'd be a good thing to postpone release of DW to implement those features... and a few more of those excellent races (it is really refreshing that most of them are not humanoid). And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 103
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 7:18:14 PM   
Gertjan

@Elliot: thanks for your reply, but how would a player behave that is very cautious, but at the same time very aggressive? Seems contradictionary to me.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 104
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 7:27:49 PM   
Duckfang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

@Elliot: thanks for your reply, but how would a player behave that is very cautious, but at the same time very aggressive? Seems contradictionary to me.

My guess would be they're quite willing to use violence to enforce their will, but only when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour? Like a playground bully, I suppose.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 105
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 9:33:56 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV Zuikaku

And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?

You can create your own races. Hopefully there is some way to import pictures/art for custom races and for custom ship graphics............. like space empires 4 and 5.

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 106
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/4/2010 9:48:16 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

We don't know.. they aren't in our copy. Elliot will tell you.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 107
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/5/2010 6:21:00 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

I would also like that players have wide varieties of choices for sealing with populatio on planets, colonies, newly conquered planets... genocidal, less genocidal, mind control, hearts and minds... we should have a choice! Leaders of space civilizations have and will have all those choices, and it is up to player to build reputation of his empire. It woul'd be a good thing to postpone release of DW to implement those features... and a few more of those excellent races (it is really refreshing that most of them are not humanoid). And is there any chance to include some classic SF races? Or is this impossible due to copyright laws?

Aside from heads and upper torsos we don't know what the alien body styles are. Though, from creative guessing, it appears that the 4 known races ARE humanoid. If by humanoid, you agree with my understanding as meaning a head, up-right torso, two arms, and two legs. But, if you are used to Star Trek aliens or other similiar popular culture science fiction then , yeah, you might understand "humanoid" to mean a face and biology/DNA similiar to Humans.
Maybe I should use "bi-pedal" instead of "humanoid"; but that might be misundertood by some also.

I am still hoping for some variety in the body shapes other than just humanoid.

Even if they could include them, I would dislike classic or popular culture aliens races in a new setting game. Uhg.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/5/2010 8:04:36 AM >

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 108
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/5/2010 7:56:40 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Race portraits are still images only - time and resources don't allow more than that I'm afraid.

But on the bright side, that makes them pretty easy to mod and add your own

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 109
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/5/2010 7:58:54 AM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

My guess would be they're quite willing to use violence to enforce their will, but only when the odds are heavily stacked in their favour? Like a playground bully, I suppose.

Yeah, that's pretty much it: aggression drives what they want to do (e.g. eager to take over their neighbors territory), caution determines when they're willing to do it (e.g. only when they have weak neighbors).

(in reply to Duckfang)
Post #: 110
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/5/2010 4:49:06 PM   
drillerman

quote:

Race portraits are still images only - time and resources don't allow more than that I'm afraid.

But on the bright side, that makes them pretty easy to mod and add your own

Agreed, we don't need moving images

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 111
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/5/2010 8:31:35 PM   
Gertjan

I agree as well!

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 112
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 12:19:13 PM   
morbug

quote:

I simply had to register to the forums just to respond to this (and other similar posts):

You do realize that the game is almost done, right? And that it's a game and as such an abstraction/simplification of the "real world", right? Also, most of you (including me) haven't actually played the game yet.

What I want to say is that the game designer probably have the best overview of how the game is supposed to work, a vision if you will. He and the testers have been playing/designing the game for months, trying to make it a fun experience for as many people as possible while still being close to his vision. I think we at least want the game released, want to read some AARs, watch some more movies etc before we declare that "My Favourite Feature (tm) has to be in the game". I'm not a games designer but I do know about feature creep and bloated and unnecessarily complicated software. Sometimes you need to eliminate features, simplify things or make things more abstract in order to make them usable/fun.

It's perfectly good to have opinions and express them, but there are at least one thread with suggestions for future expansions already. I'm sure that many of your ideas will be considered for a future expansion, or perhaps a patch, but nothing new will be added to the release version of the game since the release is so close. I know that if I were a cook and a bunch of people stood around me shouting what ingredients I must use in my meal when it's almost done I'd be slightly annoyed, no matter how good advice it might be. Elliot seems to have more patience than me though ;)

That said I'm really looking forward to the release and will buy the game the second it's out.

< Message edited by morbug -- 3/6/2010 12:20:31 PM >

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 113
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 1:35:10 PM   
Okim

Very well said!

(in reply to morbug)
Post #: 114
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 5:41:18 PM   
ASHBERY76

I am eager to see what the Humans look like,and their backstory.I hope the picture does not have a orange suited bold man.

(in reply to Okim)
Post #: 115
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 6:11:40 PM   
CV Zuikaku

quote:

ORIGINAL: morbug

quote:

I simply had to register to the forums just to respond to this (and other similar posts):

You do realize that the game is almost done, right? And that it's a game and as such an abstraction/simplification of the "real world", right? Also, most of you (including me) haven't actually played the game yet.

What I want to say is that the game designer probably have the best overview of how the game is supposed to work, a vision if you will. He and the testers have been playing/designing the game for months, trying to make it a fun experience for as many people as possible while still being close to his vision. I think we at least want the game released, want to read some AARs, watch some more movies etc before we declare that "My Favourite Feature (tm) has to be in the game". I'm not a games designer but I do know about feature creep and bloated and unnecessarily complicated software. Sometimes you need to eliminate features, simplify things or make things more abstract in order to make them usable/fun.

It's perfectly good to have opinions and express them, but there are at least one thread with suggestions for future expansions already. I'm sure that many of your ideas will be considered for a future expansion, or perhaps a patch, but nothing new will be added to the release version of the game since the release is so close. I know that if I were a cook and a bunch of people stood around me shouting what ingredients I must use in my meal when it's almost done I'd be slightly annoyed, no matter how good advice it might be. Elliot seems to have more patience than me though ;)

That said I'm really looking forward to the release and will buy the game the second it's out.

Don't know what is the problem .I was not trying to offend developers or their efforts. I even wouldn't care about any features if I thougt that this game is bad. So I believe that Matrix will do an excellent job as usuall. If I am correct you don't like the idea of postponing the release... and that is your right. I really wouldnt mind the postponent if that means more polishing, features and bug elimination. We waited WITP-AE for years, there were many release dates... and were moved a few times... and I got mad about that two or three times... but when they finally released it- it was a gem. So, I really don't mind waiting a bit more for more polished gem. Because I plan to play it for years and scrap buggy Space Empires 5 (which is excellent and awfull game on the same time). And since the Matrix post release support is excellent, I'm sure there will be many new features in future patches.
And do you really think that I have such an influence on developers that they are going to listen to me??! We are all just making suggestions...

(in reply to morbug)
Post #: 116
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 8:32:27 PM   
JosEPhII

quote:

I am eager to see what the Humans look like,and their backstory.I hope the picture does not have a orange suited bold man.

A "bold" looking man would be fine, but not an Orange suited "bald" one.

Sorry Ash I couldn't let that one pass by. lol

So what you're really saying is that Armada's human pic doesn't suit your tastes well? I kinda agree.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 117
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/6/2010 9:09:54 PM   
morbug

quote:

Don't know what is the problem .I was not trying to offend developers or their efforts. I even wouldn't care about any features if I thougt that this game is bad. So I believe that Matrix will do an excellent job as usuall. If I am correct you don't like the idea of postponing the release... and that is your right. I really wouldnt mind the postponent if that means more polishing, features and bug elimination. We waited WITP-AE for years, there were many release dates... and were moved a few times... and I got mad about that two or three times... but when they finally released it- it was a gem. So, I really don't mind waiting a bit more for more polished gem. Because I plan to play it for years and scrap buggy Space Empires 5 (which is excellent and awfull game on the same time). And since the Matrix post release support is excellent, I'm sure there will be many new features in future patches.
And do you really think that I have such an influence on developers that they are going to listen to me??! We are all just making suggestions...

I'm sure you're not out to offend anyone, I'm just saying that you might want to try the game itself before deciding that you have to be able to do this or that. For my part, I can wait for as long as it takes to get the game finished. But I do want to see and try the game Elliot has designed, not a game that's designed by the forumites. It might not be perfect but it will be his vision and it sounds like I'll enjoy it very much. After we've seen it in action, we can easier decide what we'd like Elliot to add etc. What you're saying in the quote above is that you don't believe the game is finished: that it needs carriers, fighters and ways to commit genocide to be complete. This is where I disagree; I don't think any of us can tell when the game is complete, it's up to Elliot and Matrix Games.

All this is IMO etc, etc

(in reply to CV Zuikaku)
Post #: 118
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/7/2010 12:07:36 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

quote:

A "bold" looking man would be fine, but not an Orange suited "bald" one.

Sorry Ash I couldn't let that one pass by. lol

So what you're really saying is that Armada's human pic doesn't suit your tastes well? I kinda agree.

JosEPh

I agree. I stated this when I first saw the screen shot before Armada 2526 was released. I knew it would be mocked in the future. I had thought that they might change it but I guess they were short on time to change it...or they like it. Funny that that Human portrait design was approved.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2275250&mpage=1&key=silly? : thread of

http://www.ntronium.com/Armada2526%20Gallery.html : screen shots

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
The human picture looks a little silly, as does the smile of the three eyed alien. I guess I like more seriousness in these types of games. Jokes in Galactic Civilizations 2 were annoing(as was it's awful, though applauded by some, external ship design).

Couldn't agree more about GC2. The human does look like an action man or something, and the AROM is also weird. If you think the Teyes are silly, wait till you see the Walden :D

quote:

I hope there are alot of "high" technologies like destroying and creating planets and stars; terraforming; gigantic planet sized stations, maybe even Halos/Orbitals, Ringworlds, and Sphereworlds. I'd be disapointed if the major planet hitter was only an asteroid weapon. That seems kind of backwards for "high" technology civilizations portrayed in much science fiction.

The game is mainly about ships, and tactical and strategical aspects. There are some impressive ships, built from impressive materials ;)
There's some "magic" too. Hehe.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 8:09:24 AM >

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 119
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/7/2010 12:16:12 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: morbug

quote:

I'm sure you're not out to offend anyone, I'm just saying that you might want to try the game itself before deciding that you have to be able to do this or that. For my part, I can wait for as long as it takes to get the game finished. But I do want to see and try the game Elliot has designed, not a game that's designed by the forumites. It might not be perfect but it will be his vision and it sounds like I'll enjoy it very much. After we've seen it in action, we can easier decide what we'd like Elliot to add etc. What you're saying in the quote above is that you don't believe the game is finished: that it needs carriers, fighters and ways to commit genocide to be complete. This is where I disagree; I don't think any of us can tell when the game is complete, it's up to Elliot and Matrix Games.

All this is IMO etc, etc

Many of us DO know what is not in the game. Thus this thread. It's not that difficult. Plus, thread like this are fun.

We have read the forum and articles. We have seen the screen shots and videos. Developers and testers have answered questions.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2379285 : Facts about Distant Worlds

I sort of DO think the game would be incomplete without genocide options and planetary bombardment.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696 : wish list thread

quote:

Any game of this genre without planetary bombardment and post conquest genocide options seems like an unfinished product. Games that I can think of in this genre all had it and those games that did not have it upon release later added it. Thus, it seems, that any game of this genre should be released with it.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/7/2010 1:38:06 AM >

(in reply to morbug)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI