Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/5/2010 5:10:32 PM   
cdbeck

Well then, lets just say copying SotS is monumentally unoriginal, if you don't want to use the IP argument. 

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/5/2010 11:00:03 PM   
Sarus

New wish:)

- private colony ships. They'll found semi-independent colonies, in other words to create the new factions of our race. Such colonies will be under our protectorate. Of course rich and developed semi-independent colonies can break off relations with our empire.

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/6/2010 12:47:20 AM   
Sarissofoi

Nice idea Sarus.
Actually I like it. Think about all this wild clonies, smuglers den, private miners etc.
But something like that should go with policy in your empire, factions, legue of traders, corporations etc.

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/6/2010 11:41:13 PM   
Mad Russian

Has anyone thought to just wait a few more days and see what you got?

BEFORE you start telling them what you wanted to have?

I've never seen anything like this before.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/6/2010 11:45:22 PM   
Wade1000

Many of us DO know what is not in the game. Thus this thread. It's not that difficult. Plus, thread like this are fun to express ideas.

We have read the forum and articles. We have seen the screen shots and videos. Developers and testers have answered questions.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2379285 : Facts about Distant Worlds

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/7/2010 1:42:03 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/7/2010 1:08:43 AM   
Sarus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
Has anyone thought to just wait a few more days and see what you got?

BEFORE you start telling them what you wanted to have?

I've never seen anything like this before.

Good Hunting.

MR

This thread indicates that the game is very interesting for potential players.

I waited similar game for a long time. GalCiv2, SEV and other global space strategies are not suited for me. But my dream comes true. And this dream is named Distant Worlds.

God bless Code Force and Matrix Games!

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 36
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 4:46:11 AM   
Wade1000

-I really wish that high terraforming or habitation technology could allow colonization of ALL planet types. Seems like high technology should allow elimination of limitations.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg
Each race has a native planet type that they can colonize. In addition all races can colonize the most hospitable planet type (Continental planets). As your colonization technology progresses you can then colonize more inhospitable planet types: marshy swamp and desert planets. But some planet types can never be colonized unless A) it is your races native planet type or B) there is a pre-existing independent alien race at the planet. So ocean, ice and volcanic planets require these situations for you to colonize them.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2397620&mpage=1&key=� : (page 1)

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/30/2010 11:06:57 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 37
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 6:50:40 AM   
Krec

NO REALTIME,   please,  make it TB ,  if i see one more realtime game i will scream.........STOP MAKING THEM ,  THEY LOOK GREAT and PLAY HORRIBLE.  nobody can move or click that fast and no i dont like a pause feature.  best game ever made....Chess and look how long its lasted.  i loved MOO2 and am really enjoying SEV with the BM 1.9g. at the moment  

my rant for today  

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 38
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 9:32:00 AM   
Wade1000

You don't like a pause feature yet turn-based games are sort of auto-paused after each turn. Distant Worlds will let you pause and jump to events and items that are completed in an annoucement section.
I would like to know if there is an auto-pause feature option for such events. If , not, I wish for one.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
-an automatic pause option feature.
This would happen before any thing of cetain significance, which you can also choose in options, such as battles, meetings, discoveries, diplomatic messages, researched advances, etcetera.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/10/2010 8:10:25 PM >

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 39
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 11:15:11 AM   
Gertjan

Is there a pause hotkey? How many different types of game speeds are there?

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 40
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 12:25:05 PM   
Wade1000

-I think that I read somewhere that the spacebar is pause key. Maybe you can change it also?

-also:
quote:

ORIGINAL:  LarryP
Yes, pause is a feature in the game. Also when you open a menu, the game automatically pauses until you close the menu.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2347203&mpage=1&key=pause&#2347227
-also:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2385911&mpage=1&key=pause&#2385917

-
quote:

ORIGINAL:  LarryP
EDIT: I almost forgot... the game also has a speed setting that goes up two notches and down two notches from normal. -2 -1 0 +1 +2, 0 being normal speed. This also affects the graphics handling. So there are four items that affect graphics handling:

1) Nebulae density (slider adjustment)
2) FPS
3) Zoom
4) Speed of game (5 settings)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2347203&mpage=2&key=game%2Cspeed&#2352235

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 41
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 12:39:25 PM   
Gertjan

Wade, they should hire you as one of the employees of Matrix games :)

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 42
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 2:09:43 PM   
Tycow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krec

NO REALTIME,   please,  make it TB ,  if i see one more realtime game i will scream.........STOP MAKING THEM ,  THEY LOOK GREAT and PLAY HORRIBLE.  nobody can move or click that fast and no i dont like a pause feature.  best game ever made....Chess and look how long its lasted.  i loved MOO2 and am really enjoying SEV with the BM 1.9g. at the moment  

my rant for today  

I'd say the same for turn based games tbh. There are too many bland, cookie cutter turn based 4x games out there. It's nice to have a 4x RTS for once. :)

(in reply to Krec)
Post #: 43
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 2:48:13 PM   
Sarissofoi

Bah. This game will be RTS. And that is good.
I dont really like RTS but some are very fun to play(especially if they have good gameplay and GOOD STORY). On the other hand I dont imagine EU3 as turn game. That will be terryfing.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 44
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 4:25:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

This is not the kind of RTS that is a click-fest. It's completely pausable, you can slow it down, issue orders, etc. and you can set it to pop-up messages and pause whenever things happen. Seriously, I don't think any turn-based gamers will find this to be more than they can handle.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 45
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 4:42:55 PM   
Tycow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is not the kind of RTS that is a click-fest. It's completely pausable, you can slow it down, issue orders, etc. and you can set it to pop-up messages and pause whenever things happen. Seriously, I don't think any turn-based gamers will find this to be more than they can handle.

That's good to hear. Although I prefer RTS over TBS, I don't enjoy clickspam games such as C&C3, WC3 etc.

Cheers for the reassurance Erik! :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 46
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/10/2010 10:54:25 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Wade, they should hire you as one of the employees of Matrix games :)

Why, thankyou.
Heh. I'd be happy to work for Matrix Games; if they are interested in me while I have little experience in the field but I have many ideas. Heh, I guess that would apply to most. I could help with like, creative design ideas, testing, marketing, advertising, and public relations including on forums, or anything else where I can help contribute.

I just enjoy being helpful, contributing, creative design ideas, philosophy and science...and gaming. :)

Distant Worlds is the first game in a while that seems to offer what I like in scope, detail, and features from a reliable and established company.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 1:20:17 PM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 47
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/11/2010 3:30:58 AM   
elliotg

quote:

Is there a pause hotkey? How many different types of game speeds are there?

You can pause and resume the game with either the spacebar or pause key.

There are 5 game speeds: normal, 1/2 speed, 1/4 speed, 2x speed and 4x speed. You can use the + and - keys to increase/decrease the game speed.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 48
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/11/2010 3:13:19 PM   
Gertjan

Thank you Elliot!

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 49
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:04:35 PM   
Wade1000

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2&key=? : "A few screenshots..."
quote:

ORIGINAL:  Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Wade1000
How does this "exterminate" work? Are you just refering to conquering and invading planets?

There are two routes:
1. Conquer them all, don't accept peace.  They'll offer you various things to end the war, but you don't have to accept.  This is the "easier" route in terms of repercussions.  End result, you own all their worlds, they are no longer an independent faction.  Keep in mind though that the longer the war, the greater the war weariness of your own people.  Single wars are rarely decisive before peace (or a truce) starts looking like a good option, usually it takes several clashes to really cut an opponent down to size.

2. Bombard them back to the stone age - the more traditional "exterminate".  If you choose this option, you had better be fighting against the most evil and urgent threat the galaxy has ever faced, or everyone else in the galaxy is likely to start viewing _you_ as the most evil and urgent threat the galaxy has ever faced.  Typically, no other race in the galaxy likes to see planets being bombarded to rubble and will react accordingly lest the same fate befall their own worlds.  Now if you really happen to be fighting an alien race that really has behaved in a way that makes everyone else in the galaxy hate them and consider them evil, you've got a much freer hand in how you deal with the problem.
Regards,
- Erik

Excellent!
-Now I wish for some post conquest genocide options too.
-----

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2&key=? : "A few screenshots..."
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Wade,

Elliot used some of the extra time while waiting for art to add in bombardment.

Regards,

- Erik

OH...MY...GOD! I love you guys. I thank you all.

I think Distant Worlds will be fun and a big success.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/15/2010 8:17:33 PM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 50
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:42:18 PM   
Gargantou

Great to hear that Elliot used the time to add in bombardment, I just hope he doesn't let fans pressure him into adding in so many stuff that stuff starts getting implemented in a half-arsed way(I've seen this happen with good games and it is a shame!) but rather makes sure that every new feature he implements is implemented in a good manner that fits well into the game!

Some cases of the Paradox grand strategy games come to mind where they try to add in too much and it completely ruins the balance of the game and requires extensive patching to fix, I just hope Elliot will make sure that DW doesn't go down the same path, but I have great faith in Elliot and the rest of the people working on the game, they seem extremely dedicated to making it not just a game with a ton of features but also making sure it's well-polished!

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 51
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:44:11 PM   
Wade1000

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2
quote:

ORIGINAL:  ASHBERY76
Bombardment being added is fantastic news.I just love the epic scale of the game with the massive galaxy with loads of races.EU in space.
I also do not like the fact that the game design pushes a multi alien empire as being the strongest system with no negative points.With extermination added to the design I would like to see buffs for purer Alien empires stats to compete.

-Maybe like a lowering maintenance cost for the less diverse your empires race population is. This would be due to government and corporate expenses being lower related to not needing biological and habitational accomodation of other races. If you begin adding other races to your population then your maintenace would increase.
This lower or higher maintenance bonus or penalty due to how diverse your race population is should be minimal.

-Also, some minimal penalties in some situations to reflect racial tensions the more diverse your population is.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2
quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou
Shouldn't more races also lead to more internal problems? Perhaps ethnic/race-riots etc, after all, this is something that has happened a lot throughout human history, imagine how much it'd start happening if we added in completely alien cultures and ethnicities into the mix.

So basically, a multi-race empire should suffer decreased stability and run a higher rist of splitting up etc, just look at stuff like the break-up of the Yugoslav Republic!

I hope that this is implemented in the game to make sure that a multi-race empire also has its negative perks, not just positive.

quote:

Yes, but if only Race 1 is open to living with other aliens, but Race 2 and 3 are both quite xenophobic, it will mean that there will still be conflicts, especially between race 2 and 3.

I still think it's a sensible form of negating all the pros you get from a diverse population and quite realistic, let's face it even in highly democratic and civilized nations ethnic tensions are still high between some groups.

The best thing would be both your proposal and mine in my opinion

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/21/2010 11:32:09 AM >

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 52
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:46:16 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

Great to hear that Elliot used the time to add in bombardment, I just hope he doesn't let fans pressure him into adding in so many stuff that stuff starts getting implemented in a half-arsed way(I've seen this happen with good games and it is a shame!) but rather makes sure that every new feature he implements is implemented in a good manner that fits well into the game!

Some cases of the Paradox grand strategy games come to mind where they try to add in too much and it completely ruins the balance of the game and requires extensive patching to fix, I just hope Elliot will make sure that DW doesn't go down the same path, but I have great faith in Elliot and the rest of the people working on the game, they seem extremely dedicated to making it not just a game with a ton of features but also making sure it's well-polished!

I agree.

quote:

Distant Worlds:Updates,Expansions,and Sequels.Tell the company your wish list.

-A continually improving AI that is able to competently use all advances and features.

-High technology to include population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars.

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 53
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:52:38 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Excellent!
-----

Hmm, thinking of turning all the conquered aliens into Soylent Green? (or Soylent Blue or Yellow or...um you get the point).

Actually that is not a bad idea. Players could be as evil or benevolent as they like.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 54
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 8:58:29 PM   
Wade1000

Well, we might want to sometimes avoid planetary bombardment to capture structures and technology. Then once we have the planet with some infrastructure we may not want to accept some particular alien races...so...post conquest genocide options.
That sounds bad when thinking of other Humans.
Yet, in game genocide, via planetary bombardment and post conquest options, is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences; especially if they aqre extremily hostile, eat other races, etcetera.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696

Post genocide options along with planetary bombardment offer interesting strategic choices. The desicion to bombard planets might be in correlation to how many troop transports you brought with your fleet or task force. You may have focused on ships to attack and defend instead of vunerable transports. Thus you might decide to save the few transports you have for important planet invasions while bombarding lesser planets.
Of course, you will have to deal with any diplomatic repercussions that might bring if your enemy is not of negative reputation. That's even more strategy choices involved.

I would hope and expect the AI be able to do all this too.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/15/2010 10:03:53 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 55
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 9:01:25 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Well, we might want to sometimes avoid planetary bombardment to capture structures and technology. Then once we have the planet with some infrastructure we may not want to accept some particular alien races...so...post conquest genocide options.
That sounds bad when thinking of other Humans.
Yet, in game genocide, via planetary bombardment and post conquest options, is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences; especially if they aqre extremily hostile, eat other races, etcetera.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696

Bear in mind I am in support of the idea, was just trying my hand at a bit of humor with a reference that everyone might not recognize (Reference the movie Soylent Green).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 56
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/15/2010 9:36:57 PM   
Wade1000

I understand. Yeah, I knew the reference to the movie. :)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 57
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/16/2010 6:15:20 PM   
Gertjan

I hope by the time we travel through the universe we don't need to learn languages anymore and we can just turn on the translation device.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 58
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/16/2010 8:18:36 PM   
Duckfang

Aw, but learning languages is fun.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 59
RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. T... - 3/16/2010 11:58:26 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

I hope by the time we travel through the universe we don't need to learn languages anymore and we can just turn on the translation device.

Good point. I have edited out my references to language to read: "This would be due to government and corporate expenses being lower related to not needing biological and habitational accomodation of other races. If you begin adding other races to your population then your maintenace would increase."

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI