Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? - 3/8/2010 1:08:32 AM   
bclemans

WIR often automatically upgrade old armor and planes when new weapons become available without much consideration to keeping the numerical composition of an air group / armor battalion.

As an arbitrary example, in late 1944, the software may change the composition of a German fighter group with 180 Me-109 fighters to only 40 Me-262 fighters.
As a result of the upgrade, the air group is at a numerical disadvantage (compared to a full establishment of roughly 200 planes) and becomes ineffective when fighting enemy air groups.

I would rather have 180 Me-109 than 40 Me-262 as the former can perform better. I think the software should upgrade only in situations when it can replace the old equipment with the same or greater number of new equipment. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? - 3/8/2010 3:21:55 AM   
PyleDriver

Hum...We have so many smart guys on this test... Jim (Jaw) may have the smart answer, he's the one that looks forward on these things...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to bclemans)
Post #: 2
RE: Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? - 3/8/2010 1:47:33 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: bclemans

WIR often automatically upgrade old armor and planes when new weapons become available without much consideration to keeping the numerical composition of an air group / armor battalion.

As an arbitrary example, in late 1944, the software may change the composition of a German fighter group with 180 Me-109 fighters to only 40 Me-262 fighters.
As a result of the upgrade, the air group is at a numerical disadvantage (compared to a full establishment of roughly 200 planes) and becomes ineffective when fighting enemy air groups.

I would rather have 180 Me-109 than 40 Me-262 as the former can perform better. I think the software should upgrade only in situations when it can replace the old equipment with the same or greater number of new equipment. Thanks.

I have to agree that this would be a nice feature, however i guess we are getting into the same old arguments regarding historical/non historical representation.

In any wargame simulation these decisions by the designers are always the most difficult. I guess we as players can always say that as soon as we start to play a game the actual historical situation no longer applies as we try to change history, not just mimic the historical events.

Precedents are already set in the game in the way that we can allocate/not allocate replacements/upgrades to individual land units. I would agrue that the Luftwaffe should not be treated differently.

(in reply to bclemans)
Post #: 3
RE: Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? - 3/8/2010 8:25:43 PM   
Joel Billings

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that equipment is only swapped out when there are enough in the pool to replace the existing items. Also, the computer is attempting to refrain from upgrading so many units to new equipment that there is a shortage of replacements for that equipment. I may be wrong, but I think there's also a chance that a unit will reequip with older equipment if there are tons stacking up in the pool and there are no replacements available of the new equipment. I'm sure the system isn't perfect, but it's trying to be smart about upgrades.

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Option to disallow automatic upgrade of equipments? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI