Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:21:57 PM   
castor troy

Hi

Not a flame thread and not meant personal to start with.

Iīve complained in my AAR a couple of times already and have noticed that other players seem to experience the same. IJN patrols rarely are operational due to their service rating while Allied patrols keep on flying. The problem with flying is the fact that they crash all the time. In my PBEM, flying naval search is far more dangerous than attacking a Capped base with heavy bombers. My PBYs crash at a rate that is higher than my replacements and it is more than just annoying because the only thing I can do is keeping them grounded it seems. Same goes for bombers, the ones you could make good use of are the ones with radar (Hudson III for example - radar and nice range) but if you do, they drop out of the sky all the time, so itīs not just related to the PBYs. Naval search is deadly and every pilot being sent to a naval search squadron has a good chance to die.

Why is it this way in AE? Weīre talking about one and a halve dozen replacements per month and the way they die, Iīve got no chance to fill up existing squadrons, let alone thinking about filling up newly arrived ones. As it stands now, I could maintain four or five squadrons at full strenght.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/8/2010 4:22:49 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:37:47 PM   
LoBaron

Maybe those affected by such extreme op losses use a combination of high percentage and max range search missions with their squads.
In those cases some pilots fly max range missions every single day.
Your PBY-5 losses look really ugly.

I limit my search range depending on what I want to cover and have not experienced these extreme results yet.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:38:50 PM   
castor troy

Here are the pilots of a PBY squadron. All my squadrons are looking like this, the pilots are by far not overfatigued, which could be one of the main issues for them crashing "all the time". Using a fighter squadron (with 30% more pilots than fighters) at 50% Cap results in usually 30-50 fatigue for example. Yet when looking at all the fighters in the air with overfatigued pilots (somewhere you should draw the line between playability and realism, I canīt adjust my fighter squadrons daily) the loss rate of the fighters is by far not as high as the PBY squadronsī loss rate. Usually the Cats are lost in a landing accident. And losing more than you get is a pretty hard task to maintain at least some search.

It seems to be the naval search mission itselve that is so dangerous as Iīm losing also "a lot" of bombers when being set to nav search.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:40:42 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Maybe those affected by such extreme op losses use a combination of high percentage and max range search missions with their squads.

I limit my search range depending on what I want to cover and have not experienced these extreme results yet.

this should result in high fatigue, but as you can see my nav search missions donīt result in high fatigue so I canīt really see this as the reason for it.

and yes, the losses really are uggly. Not that it would make any difference when Iīve run out of Cats as they canīt spot anything anyway...

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 4
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:44:30 PM   
CapAndGown

I wonder if it might be the range you are using? Not sure what the range is on PBYs. I set my Mavis's to 20 (max range of 24) and seem to be OK, generally. (Except half of them are almost always grounded for maintenance.)

Post #: 5
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:51:40 PM   
String

check if your search sectors overlap enemy bases, that seems to increase op losses.

Surface combat TF fanboy

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 6
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:52:06 PM   
Shark7

The air to air losses are understandable...flying alone, in a big slow plane at low altitude. Can you say 'target practice?'.

Ops losses also understandable. Long boring flights over empty ocean lead to pilot fatigue and errors.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 7
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:53:29 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

this should result in high fatigue, but as you can see my nav search missions donīt result in high fatigue so I canīt really see this as the reason for it.

and yes, the losses really are uggly. Not that it would make any difference when Iīve run out of Cats as they canīt spot anything anyway...

Didnīt mean pilot fatigue was the reason.

I guess every plane has a chance to have an engine failure or weather issue per hex covered. This could be a similar
dice roll as the accumulated sys damage for ships when they move x numbers of hex fields.

Add to this a possible op loss on landing and when you fly maximum range missions every day youd also maximize your chances for an op loss.
This could also be the reason for the Japanes players have issues with maintenance. Their planes crash less often because the
higher average experience but return damaged by the same reasons.

Post #: 8
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:54:37 PM   
khyberbill

I had problems until I reduced the amount of planes on patrol to 40% and reduced their range by 20%. Now I just dont have losses unless they are shot down. I also overstock with pilots and have some training going on at the same time. IRL patrols/combat missions rarely flew 100% of the time for 100% of the range.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 9
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:54:54 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I wonder if it might be the range you are using? Not sure what the range is on PBYs. I set my Mavis's to 20 (max range of 24) and seem to be OK, generally. (Except half of them are almost always grounded for maintenance.)

ranges between 15 and 19 hexes. The only difference Iīve noticed in using less range was less fatigue though and fatigue seems not to be the problem when you look at the pilots. Watched my patrol squadrons quite some time already but couldnīt figure out what to do other than standing them down.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 10
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:55:37 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Reducing max range seems to help alot.Also pilots under 50 xp seem to wreck alot of planes on these missions.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 11
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 4:56:17 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

check if your search sectors overlap enemy bases, that seems to increase op losses.

no enemy bases in the Pacific that are in range of my PBYs and most of the PBYs are stationed in the Pacific. Two squadrons in Australia that could be in range of enemy Cap but those two donīt suffer any notable losses more than other squadrons.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 12
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:01:07 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

I had problems until I reduced the amount of planes on patrol to 40% and reduced their range by 20%. Now I just dont have losses unless they are shot down. I also overstock with pilots and have some training going on at the same time. IRL patrols/combat missions rarely flew 100% of the time for 100% of the range.

I tried this extensively in my AI test game, the result wasnīt really surprising to me. With the reduction of planes in the air, the op losses went down in the same ratio. So with 40% search, only 40% of the losses compared to 100% search. This isnīt really helping IMO as 40% leaves you with 5 Cats in a usual PBY squadron. 5 patrol ac isnīt a lot and not even enough when I use search arcs (which I do more or less 100% of the time). Usually Iīve got them at 70%. But again, flying alot should primarily increase pilot fat, but this doesnīt seem to be a problem. And with the excellent service rating the ac do quite well. When I use bombers on nav search then it seems to be more dangerous than sending them in against an enemy base with fighters and flak.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 13
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:04:26 PM   
SuluSea

Restrict  PBYs to 10 hexes, 40 % search, 10-20% training, and 50-40% rest and your ops losses will go way down.
Also when transferring long flights run the risk of ops losses as well.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 14
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:09:49 PM   
Admiral Scott

Castor troy, are you transfering these units from base to base alot?

I have noticed frequent ops losses when transfering air units from base to base.

I cross my fingers everytime I transfer them.

Post #: 15
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:10:39 PM   
BigJ62

Do not the planes themselves have a fatigue factor?

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 16
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:12:09 PM   
Brady

Base Size.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 17
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:17:21 PM   
WLockard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Base Size.

True, but it does seem strange for an amphipian aircraft to be affected by base size.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 18
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:26:40 PM   
BigJ62

cat fat.

Attachment (1)

Witp-AE

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 19
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:38:04 PM   
Brady

quote:

ORIGINAL: WLockard

quote:

Base Size.

True, but it does seem strange for an amphipian aircraft to be affected by base size.

I agree, its a theory of mine I am not shure, but I suspect its efecting Sea planes on both sides of the fence.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 20
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:38:13 PM   
Lifer

If the losses are due in part to cat fat, how/when do you reduce fatigue for planes?

Greg

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 21
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 5:56:14 PM   
BigJ62

I assume by not flying them - I have no idea what the best procedure is - yo MichaelM.

Witp-AE

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 22
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:16:55 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral Scott

Castor troy, are you transfering these units from base to base alot?

I have noticed frequent ops losses when transfering air units from base to base.

I cross my fingers everytime I transfer them.

guess I have not had more than two or three losses from transfers in halve a year of war.

(in reply to Admiral Scott)
Post #: 23
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:18:10 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Base Size.

bases differ between small (lvl 2) to big (lvl 9) and I have not seen a difference in the losses between the bases so far.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 24
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:19:03 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

cat fat.

wow, never seen that before

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 25
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:40:40 PM   
CapAndGown

Where is this screen and how do I get it?!!

Castor, it looks like plane fatigue may be the problem. Since Mavis's are down all the time, they don't suffer the losses that the Cat's do since they seem to fly continuously.

Post #: 26
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:44:17 PM   
CapAndGown

OK, I found the screen. So how do I reduce the fatigue of the planes? Stand them down? Fly at a smaller percentage?

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 27
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 6:46:52 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

OK, I found the screen. So how do I reduce the fatigue of the planes? Stand them down? Fly at a smaller percentage?

Be sure to put some on REST, at least 20%. I generally set my patrol aircraft up like this...

Naval Search Mission:

Naval Search 60%
Training 20%
Rest 20%

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 28
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 7:02:57 PM   
pad152

Just look at the current wars, almost all army, navy, air forces loses are non-combat! Lots of fast flying low to the ground, fly in all sorts of weather, things break, wear out, pilots make mistakes, etc.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 29
RE: Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE - 3/8/2010 7:25:40 PM   
oldman45

Didn't we have this conversation when the game came out? I find that using Sharks method helped. I also find that doing that with extra support on the base keeps the planes better maintained.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Why is naval search the most dangerous mission in AE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI