Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HPS new games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HPS new games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HPS new games - 3/7/2010 7:06:58 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: garymc

That's correct, no campaign mode, just the individual scenarios.

Oh well. That makes it a no buy for me.

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 31
RE: HPS new games - 3/7/2010 11:00:29 PM   
diablo1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

quote:

I guess you won't be buying Battles from the Bulge or own Conquest of the Agean or Highway to the Reich?

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 32
RE: HPS new games - 3/7/2010 11:33:11 PM   
Adam Parker

Matrix's CaW does it well - SO well, its just a shame that on release SSG forgot to add variations to its scenarios - that is the AI would always approach from the same spot etc.

They fixed this with the last patch so hopefully people will look to this again.

Thanks for the heads up on the Getting Started manual for Midway - Rich Hamilton does an exceptional job with his SDC site. I find it odd though that the manual states that running air ops in game is "complex". Let's hope that doesn't make it a non-selling point for the game. HPS deserves some business.

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 33
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 1:06:26 AM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

quote:

I guess you won't be buying Battles from the Bulge or own Conquest of the Agean or Highway to the Reich?

No, No, and No.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 34
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 2:53:23 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

I thought there was supposed to be an update so you wouldn't have to use your disks anymore... I have Antietan and Stalingrad, love em both, but a pain to have to find/take care of disks!!.... I've become so fond of the Digital Download Age!!

Same here. I've bought Oblivion off of Steam even though I have the original discs for that very reason.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 35
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 12:41:24 PM   
wodin

Well Scotwar you sure are missing out on the Panther Games series. The reason for no campaign in these games is that our humble PC's arent up to the job at present.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 36
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 12:55:55 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

Generally on OOB's, there was a comparison based on various sources. As memory serves, the IJN one for Midway proper is based on Shattered Sword.

That would be the latest and most accurate IJN OOB assessment; when CaW was first released, its Midway scenario had way too many Zero's.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 37
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 10:11:53 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Well Scotwar you sure are missing out on the Panther Games series. The reason for no campaign in these games is that our humble PC's arent up to the job at present.

Maybe so,...but I find scenarios extremely boring after one play through. Most games dont make things random,..or random ENOUGH, that there is any real replayability in them. Now a campaign can be different each time depending on how you play............

So it doesnt really matter how good a game is,....if it doesnt have a campaign it just isnt worth it to me,.....unless there is a large mulitplayer community,....which I have yet to find in any decent war game.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 38
RE: HPS new games - 3/8/2010 10:59:56 PM   
wodin

I do understand I also love a campaign myself....but I will for go it for the Panther Series.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 39
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 12:24:04 AM   
Sarge

I disagree, in the operational setting ‘n scale as implemented in Panther’s titles at least HTTR I don’t see the need for a campaign.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 40
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 5:05:15 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

This whole deal looks like a jig-saw puzzle to me. Sea, air and sub-surface appears to be more or less done. It wouldn't take a lot more, land and logistics perhaps, to make something like a full-blown Guadalcanal campaign possible. Were that to come to pass, no one is gonna be ******** about the graphics. Even if what I suggest doesn't materialize, the game can still work as Harpoon-WW2.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 41
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 5:57:49 AM   
E

quote:

Your first task is to ready a search. Once you have your search aircraft brought up from the hanger deck, you can then assign a search mission. So, for instance, you assign 14 SBDs from the VS group to a search arc of 190-310. Because the US VS groups are set up in pairs (as they did historically), you'll get 7 searches flying search patterns within that arc (generally to your west in that case).

Be sure to have your TF headed into the wind, and launch them.

Then, you'll likely want to get your first CAP of the day up. You'll assign them a Patrol mission, with their Patrol target being your carrier. This will lead them to hover over your TF, looking for enemy snoopers.
Once that's launched, you can begin to bring your strike aircraft up from the hanger and get them spotted, ready for when your search group finds something.

Once you spot the enemy, you can launch your strike, with the # and type of aircraft you want, and send them on their way. You can manually control aircraft, but generally, at least until they go in for the attack, it's best to let the AI fly them to their target.

Can you show me some screenshots for airplane management/loading/spotting and some for mission planning/launching?

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 42
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 9:07:17 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

I disagree, in the operational setting ‘n scale as implemented in Panther’s titles at least HTTR I don’t see the need for a campaign.

Im not saying Panther games really need a campaign...I prefer campaigns at squad \platoon level.
So I agree with you Sarge. Its just a shame people wont buy their games because of a lack of campaign especially when they said they really need more sales to keep in business, the thought of the loss of those guys gives me a shiver. To think we may never see an eastern front game using this engine is heartbreaking all because the Bulge game doesnt sell enough.....we need as many new buyers as possible.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/9/2010 9:09:19 AM >

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 43
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 10:11:40 AM   
SuluSea

quote:

As someone mentioned, clouds are very much in the game, and they do have effects.

Hello Gary, for the price at NWS I'm definately interested. Can you explain the clouds, I'm wondering if they are dynamic like CaW where you see them on the screen moving , some thicker than others?

or

While playing the scenario is the whole map for instance partly cloudy?

or

Something different?

Thanks.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 44
RE: HPS new games - 3/9/2010 1:20:10 PM   
Ashtur

As to the clouds. Generally, you'll have patchy clouds, (so a situation like Coral Sea with one carrier in clouds, and the other in clear is very possible). Then those clouds move along with the wind.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 45
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 1:17:40 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I ordered the game on Sunday, and it arrived in today's mail.

The game's installed, but I've obviously got a lot to learn. I think that I shall just sail around for a while and practice plane-handling and other operations. I would mention, however, that the interface is easier to navigate than I expected. And for some reason,  Naval Campaigns Midway feels more like a game about carrier warfare than Carriers at War.

We'll see.

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 46
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 1:38:37 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Im not saying Panther games really need a campaign...I prefer campaigns at squad \platoon level. So I agree with you Sarge. Its just a shame people wont buy their games because of a lack of campaign......

In my case its not the lack of a campaign. Its the game engine I'm not keen on.

-

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 47
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 1:45:30 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Its the game engine I'm not keen on.

Wow, you must have gotten your copy before I did!

I can state emphatically that the surface combat portion of the NCM is going to be superior to CaW, because the latter really didn't have one.

As I write this message, my "Jakes" are taking off from their cruisers on a search mission!

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 48
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 3:59:15 AM   
Ashtur

I'd missed that someone had asked for a few screenies. My apologies. I just grabbed these quickly, so I didn't turn on Fog of War, so you can see both sides. I grabbed the screens off the hypothetical Wake Island scenario.

The first of these is the overall plane management dialog:

Now, this is setting up a search using the Saratoga's VS group. What you do is select the aircraft for the mission from the previous screen (using Crtl-Left or Shift-Left), and then go to the mission:

Finally, setting up a strike:

To set up an integrated strike (multiple plane types or even from multiple carriers) you use a distinct package name, and then choose that from the dropdown for any additional stike elements you want to add.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 49
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 4:02:24 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

garymc,

If I accidentally "spot" some a/c, how can I undo the order?

Forgive me if this is bold-printed in the docs, but there's a lot to read (and digest).

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 50
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 4:27:51 AM   
Ashtur

Ok, either way, you just hit the "Spotting" button again.

The real key is if you've already got the plane spotted, or just in the queue.

If they're just in the queue, it'll say "to spotting". Hit the "spotting" button, and it'll remove them from said queue, no penalty.

If you already have em spotted, then it'll put em in the queue and say "to hanger", and take the 120 seconds per plane.

Post #: 51
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 5:19:08 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

Ok, either way, you just hit the "Spotting" button again.

Thanks for the tip; I'll give that a stab.

For our readers, this game is completely unlike anything that I've looked at for carrier operations.

For example, when my carriers are under attack, I can maneuver to avoid being hit.

Likewise, when I want to launch some a/c, I have to turn my flattops into the wind.

All in all, I think that it's very cool.

(in reply to Ashtur)
Post #: 52
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 5:28:09 AM   
V22 Osprey

This Midway game looks fun. Would you guys recommend it if you already have WitP AE? I know these are two completely different games, but still.

Art by rogueusmc.

Post #: 53
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 5:45:30 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

It's just completely different from anything else that I've ever played on a computer. They've drilled down into the decision making process as regards items like I describe above. Some folks will say that players shouldn't have this much control over some of this stuff, and it's better off left abstracted. HOWEVER, I think that it's a total hoot so far. IMHO, it blows CaW out of the water. BTW, the developer has included a lot of statistical analysis of their modeling as regards combat results, the sort of thing that is a CONSTANT topic of conversation on the WitP forum. This is likely the best $40 that I've spent on a wargame in the last two years.

EDIT: In some ways it reminds me of the Harpoon games, only it's somewhat simpler (being from a different era of warfare).

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 3/11/2010 5:49:42 AM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 54
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 10:24:32 AM   
wodin

Sounds like theve combined their air war games with their naval games and hit the jackpot. I enjoyed War over Vietnam but found a lack of challenge. This sounds much better.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 55
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 12:07:39 PM   
htuna

hmmm.. this is peaking my interest... but wait!!... I've got too many games!!!! Must resist, must resist!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 56
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 12:08:31 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Wow...with these first impressions, hard to not pull the trigger and purchase. Keep them coming:) I do have a few questions if you have time.

1) With all the depth, is it tedious to play? Ton of micromanagement?
2) How long does an average game take to play? Can you save in the middle of a game?
3) Might be too early for this one, but does each scenario seem replayable with different outcomes or do you think they would playout roughly the same each time?
4) In the end, does it have a "fun" factor and seem like a game you just can't put down?

Thanks!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 57
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 12:57:40 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just bought from NWS on the basis of this thread... Don't normally buy from NWS because of postage and delivery time - but I'm off to Scotland for a week...so it should be here by then.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 58
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 1:11:04 PM   
RedArgo

I also bought this based on this thread and the price. I'm looking forward to it. My first ever game for the TRS-80 was Avalon Hill's Midway, so this kinda comes full circle.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 59
RE: HPS new games - 3/11/2010 1:49:40 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Yet again I was weak and I have also placed an order, even as I was awaiting more feedback:)

Something about Midway. I have always enjoyed playing that battle in other wargames. I even remeber playing it on the Commodore 64 (could have been Vic-20, can't remember which one since I had both) as a game with a bunch of dots and on a tape:)

< Message edited by Grim.Reaper -- 3/11/2010 1:50:04 PM >

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: HPS new games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI