Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  647 648 [649] 650 651   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:19:44 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Kinda pathetic that he said "sorry if this sounds anti-semitic". It didn't "sound" like it, it WAS.

Not kinda. It was absolutely pathetic. And down right sickening!

Agreed, Steve, but you know what keeps happening over there (it seems to have dried up here, but you still get some of it)? Some enterprising troll intentionally plants a provocative thread ("Are you still beating your wife?"), then sits back and watches the long parade of hamsterheaded punks with faces full of piercings, butts covered with tattoos and minds made of grape jelly wander through making the most preposterously ignorant statements.

A few well-meaning citizens try to keep things civil, but they might as well be called Walt and drive a Gran Torino for all the good they do. Eventually, Erik finds out somehow or other, and the thread is locked.

Self-defeating, say I. They all know they've got free rein for a time to indulge in "I think" and "I believe" fantasies without any real chance for penalty. If there were any real law enforcement on these forums, the problem would vanish quickly.

So, are ya feelin' lucky, punk? (Did I mention that the "green button" solves nothing?)

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19441
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:21:05 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Just dropped in on the who started the First World War thread 

I've PM'ed and emailed Erik Rutkin. He's online so he should see it fairly quickly.

Looks like he did. I think he went too soft on a blatantly inflammatory statement like that. I would have booted him for 2 weeks as a "warning". Personally, I dont care what beliefs the little sh!t has. But you should know that if you start flinging it in public, there are repercussions based of established codes of human conduct, completely outside of any forum's policy.

That's his priviledge. Personally I don't think the offense one commits should be balanced with ones post count. "Well , you committed murder , but since it's your 1st one, we will let you off with a warning!". Sorry , I'm very old school.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 19442
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:22:27 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

The real cause of WW1:

Baldrick: No, the thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?
Edmund: Do you mean "How did the war start?"
Baldrick: Yeah.
George: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire- building.
Edmund: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front.
George: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. (aside, to Baldick) Mad as a bicycle!
Baldrick: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.
Edmund: I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot.
Baldrick: Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved, sir.
Edmund: Well, possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing was that it was too much effort *not* to have a war.
George: By God this is interesting; I always loved history -- The Battle of Hastings, Henry VIII and his six knives, all that.
Edmund: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.
Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?
Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.
George: What was that, sir?
Edmund: It was bollocks.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 19443
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:22:31 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

You didn't seriously need to do so, did you? Wasn't one look at the idiotic title enough?

In his defense, it did start off as an interesting discussion. Whose fault is it that its impossible to have a serious, academic discussion on any topic more involved than beer for fear that it will attract the sewer dwellers?

Yeah , how dare we try and have a intelligent conversation? He's obviously a %$#*&^% Victim of society!

Post #: 19444
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:23:34 PM   
Grollub

G'night gents

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19445
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:24:59 PM   
pasternakski

O, looky me, a new page. If I was Yuri, I'd probably go all sticky wet.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 19446
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:25:35 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

And he was also too cowardly to own up to being a Nazi. He believes the Jews started WWI, and he believes the "Stab in the Back" myth. Two firm pillars of Nazi ideology. That, along with the aforementioned cowardice, is three strikes and you're out, Adolf.

I'm shocked that anyone post 1945 is stupid enough to think of the "stab in the back" as anything other than what it was. Hell, some of the alien conspiracy theories are better grounded than that.

Ignorant Yuri , the word is IGNORANT! And lots of people are , some by their own choice! Even some societies! (You know who you are---Mr. I'm-a-dinner-jacket!). OK, That' my political rant. Time to go back to the "home" and take my meds.

Post #: 19447
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:26:57 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

You didn't seriously need to do so, did you? Wasn't one look at the idiotic title enough?

In his defense, it did start off as an interesting discussion. Whose fault is it that its impossible to have a serious, academic discussion on any topic more involved than beer for fear that it will attract the sewer dwellers?

I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows that American microbrews are the best in the world. Full stop.

Maybe. But most of those micro-brews do owe a tip of the hat to the British "real ale" movement in the early 1980's.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19448
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:27:54 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

quote:

I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows that American microbrews are the best in the world. Full stop.

I don't know what is microbrews, but i know what is brew: it's the beer !
And from anywhere, a beer is always welcome ;
good evening gentlemens

I'd be delighted to introduce you to them Eric. All you need do is visit!

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 19449
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:29:06 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More like a screeching halt. I simply cannot discuss such a valuable topic with someone devoid of tastebuds.

Say's the man who drinks that Russian abomination. What's your favoite in the 1-6? #2?

Post #: 19450
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:29:36 PM   
sprior

And don't forget to swing by our most excellent and informative AAR before returning to the real world.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19451
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:29:53 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

Yeah , how dare we try and have a intelligent conversation?

But, dude, as one old Vietnam expression to another, somebody's got to start monitoring the subject line of new threads and immediately toss the irrelevant ones and the ones obviously intended to cause trouble.

Now, let's get back to those tremendously enlightening conversations that always come up on the Thread and forget about the dinky-dow.

Good to see more posts here. It was kinda threadbare there for a few days, if you catch my drift...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19452
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:30:25 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bah! It's not that they're the best. It's the fact that most American beer is terrible, so the microbrews seem like the best beer in the world

Not that I care, I don't drink. And when I did it was either rum or cider

Cider? The drink of choice of the butter-cross (market cross) bunch? Martin , say it ain't so!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 19453
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:31:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Bah! It's not that they're the best. It's the fact that most American beer is terrible, so the microbrews seem like the best beer in the world

What do brits think of Newcastle, Dix?

The home of the Geordies? Or the brown ale?

Post #: 19454
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:32:40 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do brits think of Newcastle, Dix?

Newcastle? As in the city of the Brown? If it's the city, then it's full of people who have strange accents. If it's the Newcastle Brown, I'd say it's got a smallish, but dedicated (almost cult) following.

It's a town of people with Extremely strange accents. Most Brits don't ubderstand them , let alone the rest of us!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 19455
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:32:47 PM   
sprior

quote:

Cider?

The cider here is different to your pansy stuff. Proper cider still has the pips in it. My mum used to buy it fortified with brandy in big gallon flasks in Devon. That stuff was good.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19456
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:35:14 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

G'nights gents

That phrase, coupled with your avatar, gives it a slightly different feel. Up, up, and away.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 19457
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:36:10 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

I'm very old school.

Oh, I don't know, Steve, your chiseling tools seem quite up to date, and you seem always to use only the freshly quarried stone for your pronouncements.

Now, what was that 11th commandment gonna be, again?

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19458
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:36:38 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

What would you suggest thats widely available in the states?

Try Boddingtons. Some of the bigger alcohol stores carry London Pride too. Or Spitfire.

Never seen any of those. There is a liquor store that carries my favorite beer (Optimator) by my friend's house. But its a pain to get there. I'll take a look next time I'm there.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 19459
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:37:04 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

The six daughters of the family were known collectively as the Mitford sisters. Nancy and Jessica became well-known writers and Deborah managed one of the most successful stately homes in England. Jessica and Deborah both married nephews-by-marriage of prime ministers Winston Churchill and Harold Macmillan, respectively. Deborah and Diana married wealthy aristocrats. Unity and Diana were well known during the 1930s for being close to Adolf Hitler

quote:

Post #: 19460
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:37:20 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Or "Even with a cape you have to put BOTH arms out like this before take off".

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 19461
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:40:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Well brothers, time for me to turn in. I leave you with this little tidbit:

A patient called in to the department today, to say that she wanted to cancel a scheduled fitting of a cardiac event recorder, a small device we use to monitor patients over a period of one week, looking for connections between fainting episodes and anomalous cardiac activity.

Her reason: she didn't want her friends to see her wearing it when she went partying over the weekend.

She was 18 years old, and although I didn't see her through the telephone, I can only assume she was very, VERY blond.

The nurse who took the call successfully talked her out of her dumb blond attack, but still...

G'night...

It's like epileptics that don't take their medication so they can go out drinking...

Please see my apology re: carbon-based life forms a few posts back...

That one hits close to home. I just had a major battle with my doctor. She said I had to give up my once a day glass of wine. Knowing that she is extremely anti-alcohol due to her religious belifs , I finally got her to admit that she was severly over medicating me with more than twice the statins I even remotely might need. I told her if I couldn't have one glass of wine a day than I didn't want any medication.....and proceeded to walk out. She agreed that if she cut my dossage (which she should have already) that I could have my wine. And this is the person who is supposed to make my health decisions?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 19462
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:43:53 PM   
sprior

Time to rack out.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19463
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:44:26 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kinda pathetic that he said "sorry if this sounds anti-semitic". It didn't "sound" like it, it WAS.

Not kinda. It was absolutely pathetic. And down right sickening!

Agreed, Steve, but you know what keeps happening over there (it seems to have dried up here, but you still get some of it)? Some enterprising troll intentionally plants a provocative thread ("Are you still beating your wife?"), then sits back and watches the long parade of hamsterheaded punks with faces full of piercings, butts covered with tattoos and minds made of grape jelly wander through making the most preposterously ignorant statements.

A few well-meaning citizens try to keep things civil, but they might as well be called Walt and drive a Gran Torino for all the good they do. Eventually, Erik finds out somehow or other, and the thread is locked.

Self-defeating, say I. They all know they've got free rein for a time to indulge in "I think" and "I believe" fantasies without any real chance for penalty. If there were any real law enforcement on these forums, the problem would vanish quickly.

So, are ya feelin' lucky, punk? (Did I mention that the "green button" solves nothing?)

Then it's time for the forum equivalent of "capital punishment!". Permanet banning! Or if we can hunt him down, death by ru-ru!

Post #: 19464
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:44:55 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

G'night gents

Goodnight!

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 19465
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:45:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

O, looky me, a new page. If I was Yuri, I'd probably go all sticky wet.

How do we know your not!

Post #: 19466
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:47:12 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

I'm very old school.

Oh, I don't know, Steve, your chiseling tools seem quite up to date, and you seem always to use only the freshly quarried stone for your pronouncements.

Now, what was that 11th commandment gonna be, again?

Wasn't that "no puff-da's!". Sorry, never mind!

Post #: 19467
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:47:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Correct quote, wrong animal. Only donkey or dog would be correct.

Post #: 19468
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:47:53 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Time to rack out.

Goodnight Simon..

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 19469
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 3/11/2010 11:48:52 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I suppose it's like watching a train wreck. Now I had to go and check it out too. Erik's locked the thread, but yeesh. Such venomous anti-semitic tripe...

I was going to go and apologize to everyone for this guy if he was a countryman. I can't tell where he's from by reading his profile, however.

No never mind, I think I'd like to apologize for him anyways:

"On behalf of all carbon-based life forms inhabiting the planet Earth, I sincerely apologize for the comments reflected by this individual."

Don't apologize for him. He said it all by himself.

Well, he sure wont apologize. And we dont want some of the more innocent visitors to the forum to think that we condone that kind of tripe.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19470
Page:   <<   < prev  647 648 [649] 650 651   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  647 648 [649] 650 651   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI