Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 1:41:13 AM   
shinobu

All the races look great! When do we get to preview the hot female warrior humanoid Amazonian race? (Sorry, just wishful thinking... )

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 151
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 2:10:36 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: shinobu

All the races look great! When do we get to preview the hot female warrior humanoid Amazonian race? (Sorry, just wishful thinking... )

My wife has been following along about the game and she said to tell you that all the art has been of female warriors so far...can't you tell by looking....

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 152
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 2:44:04 AM   
shinobu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

My wife has been following along about the game and she said to tell you that all the art has been of female warriors so far...can't you tell by looking....

Russian: It's very obvious that your wife is a formidable warrior in her own right. Touché, milady.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 153
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 5:36:54 AM   
Okim

I have some questions about special techs. Are these available from start? Are these upgradable over time?

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 154
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 7:11:11 AM   
Wade1000

If the following assumptions are correct then I really love the way you are organizing the races. I already really like the way the race orginizations seem to be. They might need fine tuning/polish though.
(In this post, {"family"} refers to your terming in the race characteristic statistics. {Family} refers to real life biological science grouping Family.)

(*Referencing www.wikipedia.org for the taxonomy classification by typing in animal names and such.)
(Life-Domain-Kingdom-Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_(biology)
For simplicity of organizing this post I am assuming that you want to "family" group the races according to one of the most appropriate narrowed down, real life, biological science, groupings like: Phylum, Class, Order, or Family.
I recommend doing that. It might be better to change your "family" word to maybe "grouping".

For our Human perspective, this could just mean that lore wise, it is a way for the in game Humans(or aliens using their translated words and similiar planetary flora and fauna) to relate to and understand the foreign biologies of alien races. (I hope that made sense.)
Also, I will assume that the descriptive terms you use in the introduction of some of the races(not the "family" terms in the statistics) are just popular descriptive nicknames(like "insectoid" and "amphibian").

You might be using popular, (non-scientific/non-biological), nicknames(like "insectoid" and "amphibian") to describe the in game "family" for the race characteristic statistics. Also, maybe your in game "family" is just to group races for planetay environment habitation and diplomatic relations.
If these two are correct then that can get odd or confusing though when we see a picture of a race yet it doesn't seem to fit your "family" name.

If you are using biological Family as the "family" race characteristic then it might be good to stay on that .
The Keterovs of "family" Ursidian does match as "bear" Family of Ursidae. (Thus, they are more bear than dog but bear-dog sounds good as a description.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursidae
Dogs, as we know them, are of Family Canidae.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Next up, the Haakonish:

A bipedal arthropod race...

Characteristics
Race Family: Reptilian

That doesn't seem right, heh. Arthropod and reptilian should be two different types of creature. The Haakonish look and seem octopus-like. If they are then they maybe should be called "a bipedal cephalopod"(Class).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus
Their "family"(group) maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or Octopoda(Order)...if they are not reptile.
An arthropod is a crustaceans, spider, or insect. They have exo-skelotons and segmented bodies.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Arthropod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropod
Reptiles are of Class Reptilia. If the Haakonish are like reptiles(reptilian) then they maybe should be described as "a bipedal reptilian" with a "family"(Grouping) of Reptilia(Class).
-----

(*Referencing www.wikipedia.org for the taxonomy classification by typing in animal names and such.)
We have:

descriptive nickname ----- Grouping(maybe change your "family" title to "grouping")

01. Keterov: mammalian ----- ursidian(maybe should be Ursidae(Family))

05. Quameno: amphibian ----- amphibian(maybe should be Amphibia(Class); like frogs, toads, and salamanders)

07. Ackdariun: none(if lthey are like seals then maybe should be mammilian) ----- none(if they are like seals then maybe should be Pinnipedia(Superfamily))
(They look like a mixture of mammal and reptile with insect or reptile like-eyes: maybe something like Monotremata(Platypus and Echidna)
-Platypus has: genetic makeup/ties of/to mammals, birds, and reptiles; has fur, milk through skin, feathers, duck-like bill, webbed feet, venom-filled spurs
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/2545
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2008-05-08-platypus-genetic-map_N.htm
http://www.itsnature.org/news/secrets-of-the-platypus-revealed/

08. Haakonish: arthropod(means crustaceans, spiders, insects thus wrong; maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or amphibian) ----- Reptilian(maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or Octopoda(Order) or if reptiles: Reptilia(Class)

.12 Weekarus: none(maybe should be amphibias crustacean)(crab/lobster people, heh, cool) ----- Amphibian(maybe should be Crustacea(Subphylum))

.15 Ugnari: none(maybe should be rodent) ----- rodent(maybe should be Rodentia(Order))

17. Sulken: insectoid ----- insectoid(maybe should be Insecta(Class))

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 1:01:18 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 155
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 7:21:20 AM   
Wade1000

The Haakonish have been consolidated to the top of this thread. Beautiful art again, as the pattern of each portrait release is proving with popularity by comments.
-----
My list so far: :)

quote:

I always like the aliens to have a variety of body shapes other than just humanoid and at least one of each of:
-a robotic/android race
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological)
-a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race similiar to 'Zerg' of Starcraft, 'The Flood' of Halo, 'Tyranids' of Warhammer 40,000, or others similiar. (Sulken most likely for now)
-(one or more) insectoid race similiar to ants, wasps, mantis, and roaches (Sulken can be one)
-a spider like race
-a crab like race (Done)
-an under water habitat race (Done)
-an ice habitat race (Done)
-a floater, gas giant planet dwelling race
-a scaled reptilian race
-a feathered avian race
-a furred mammalian race (Done)
-an amphibious race (Done)
-a tentacled race (Hakonish maybe)

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/20/2010 4:05:02 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 156
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 7:47:51 AM   
Wade1000

17. Sulken
I assume that Erik Rutins spelling "Sluken" is a typographical error. If it is, let's hope that someone reviews it to prevent the typo from appearing in game! :)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Erik Rutins
Getting back on topic, here's the race I've most recently been at war with and they are tough!
Short insectoid race with thick black exoskeleton covering. Sluken have many small forearms enabling them to perform multiple actions simultaneously.
Sluken are very aggressive and intelligent. A central theme in their customs involves a macabre reverence of death.
Sluken have the bizarre and gruesome ability to incorporate into their own bodies the biological appendages and organs from other alien races. Thus some Sluken have additional limbs, eyes or other body parts.
Some other alien races allege that Sluken are in fact genetically modified creatures, designed as an ultimate warrior race. But the Sluken themselves denounce such claims as outrageous slander.
Sluken technology includes the StarBurner XX-12, a very fast and powerful engine. With these engines, Sluken star ships are able to outrun nearly any opponent.
Sluken are found in dry temperate regions of Continental and Marshy Swamp planets
Characteristics
Race Family: Insectoid
Default Reproduction Rate: 16%
Quite Intelligent (+8)
Very Aggressive (+19)
Slightly Cautious (+3)
Very Unfriendly (-18)
Very Unreliable (-20)
Warrior Class: troop maintenance -20%
Fierce Rivalry: lower war weariness -40%
Special Government: Hive Mind

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/12/2010 10:13:46 AM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 157
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 7:56:57 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

quote:

quote:

Russian: It's very obvious that your wife is a formidable warrior in her own right. Touché, milady.

Heh, funny and intersting point.
I guess we'll find out when we see the Human portrait of Distant Worlds. I kind of hope that they represent male to be standardized and appeal to our tradition of gender common referencing in words and picture comparisons.

With aliens though, there could be one gender or more than two genders...or no gender if they are like a robotic race or a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race.

Also, I assume that race names can be interchanged as either plural or singular, applying an "s" or not; whichever the speaker prefers. Look over the names and descriptions and try it. My opinion is that it doesn't matter either way.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/12/2010 12:55:47 PM >

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 158
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/12/2010 2:20:58 PM   
eltharion

I would like to see this type of alien:

1) Non corporeal being (like ghost or pure force emanations) they can use mental ability to manipulate or interact with solid things

2) Shape shifter (master of disguise) chameleon being like (Odo : DS9)

3) Blog like life form ( multi cellular entity that grow in mass and intellect) they can interact with solid form and structure (covering with tiny slime or from a central mass of control cell).

:D

< Message edited by eltharion -- 3/12/2010 2:39:05 PM >

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. Is not life a hundred times too short for us to bore ourselves?

-Friedrich Nietzsche-

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 159
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 12:15:51 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

If the following assumptions are correct then I really love the way you are organizing the races. I already really like the way the race orginizations seem to be. They might need fine tuning/polish though.
(In this post, {"family"} refers to your terming in the race characteristic statistics. {Family} refers to real life biological science grouping Family.)

(Life-Domain-Kingdom-Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_(biology)
For simplicity of organizing this post I am assuming that you want to "family" group the races according to one of the most appropriate narrowed down, real life, biological science, groupings like: Phylum, Class, Order, or Family.
I recommend doing that. It might be better to change your "family" word to maybe "grouping".

For our Human perspective, this could just mean that lore wise, it is a way for the in game Humans(or aliens using their translated words and similiar planetary flora and fauna) to relate to and understand the foreign biologies of alien races. (I hope that made sense.)
Also, I will assume that the descriptive terms you use in the introduction of some of the races(not the "family" terms in the statistics) are just popular descriptive nicknames(like "insectoid" and "amphibian").

You might be using popular, (non-scientific/non-biological), nicknames(like "insectoid" and "amphibian") to describe the in game "family" for the race characteristic statistics. Also, maybe your in game "family" is just to group races for planetay environment habitation and diplomatic relations.
If these two are correct then that can get odd or confusing though when we see a picture of a race yet it doesn't seem to fit your "family" name.

If you are using biological Family as the "family" race characteristic then it might be good to stay on that .
The Keterovs of "family" Ursidian does match as "bear" Family of Ursidae. (Thus, they are more bear than dog but bear-dog sounds good as a description.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursidae
Dogs, as we know them, are of Family Canidae.

quote:

Next up, the Haakonish:

Characteristics

That doesn't seem right, heh. Arthropod and reptilian should be two different types of creature. The Haakonish look and seem octopus-like. If they are then they maybe should be called "a bipedal cephalopod"(Class).
Their "family"(group) maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or Octopoda(Order)...if they are not reptile.
An arthropod is a crustaceans, spider, or insect. They have exo-skelotons and segmented bodies.
Reptiles are of Class Reptilia. If the Haakonish are reptiles(reptilian) then they maybe should be described as "a bipedal reptilian" with a "family"(Grouping) of Reptilia(Class).
-----

We have:

descriptive nickname ----- Grouping(maybe change your "family" title to "grouping")

01. Keterov: mammalian ----- ursidian(maybe should be Ursidae(Family))

05. Quameno: amphibian ----- amphibian(maybe should be Amphibia(Class); like frogs, toads, and salamanders)

07. Ackdariun: none(if lthey are like seals then maybe should be mammilian) ----- none(if they are like seals then maybe should be Pinnipedia(Superfamily))
(They look like a mixture of mammal and reptile with insect or reptile like-eyes: maybe something like Monotremata(Platypus and Echidna)
-Platypus has: genetic makeup/ties of/to mammals, birds, and reptiles; has fur, milk through skin, feathers, duck-like bill, webbed feet, venom-filled spurs
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/2545
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2008-05-08-platypus-genetic-map_N.htm
http://www.itsnature.org/news/secrets-of-the-platypus-revealed/

08. Haakonish: arthropod(means crustaceans, spiders, insects thus wrong; maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or amphibian) ----- Reptilian(maybe should be Cephalopoda(Class) or Octopoda(Order) or if reptiles: Reptilia(Class)

.12 Weekarus: none(maybe should be amphibias crustacean)(crab/lobster people, heh, cool) ----- Amphibian(maybe should be Crustacea(Subphylum))

.15 Ugnari: none(maybe should be rodent) ----- rodent(maybe should be Rodentia(Order))

17. Sulken: insectoid ----- insectoid(maybe should be Insecta(Class))

..... is.... is this a joke?

You do realize that if (as this is in the game) imaginary random alien civilizations are discussed, you cant quote darwinian evolution on earth, or reference any earthborn family / race / species what so ever.
If they look like bipedal fish, then they will be called fish. Regardless of how inaccurate that is on earth, because these arent earth creatures nor do they belong to any biological classification or word.
Writing an essay on it wont change that fact. How can you call an alien a mammal when it most likely doesnt even have earthlike dna, regardless of how much fur it has or how similarly it carries babies within itself? lol

< Message edited by Baleur -- 3/13/2010 12:22:43 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 160
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 12:37:47 PM   
Sarissofoi

Yeah this is a joke. Lame one. Dont treat Wade1000 serius.

Ofcourse on other way if these 'Aliens" are uplifted race from earth creaturs then this will be another story.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 161
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 1:01:09 PM   
Wade1000

Baleur.

I tried to explain that when I said:
quote:

I knew someone would bring up that sort of point thus I tried to explain my thoughts on it.

Of course the game designers(and in game Humans) will use familiar words and systems to describe lifeforms totally alien.
I tried to mention an inconsistency that I first noticed, then I noticed more, so I tried to make suggestions...that is all. I suppose my writing there is not clear.

The original inconsistency was simply:

quote:

quote:

Next up, the Haakonish:

Characteristics

quote:

Reptiles are of Class Reptilia. If the Haakonish are reptiles(reptilian) then they maybe should be described as "a bipedal reptilian" with a "family"(Grouping) of Reptilia(Class

Basically:
An arthropod is a crustaceans, spider, or insect. They have exo-skelotons and segmented bodies. Maybe they meant to write, "a bipedal cephalopod".

Reptiles are of Class Reptilia. If the Haakonish are like reptiles(reptilian) then they maybe should be described as "a bipedal reptilian" with a "family"(Grouping) of Reptilia(Class).

I still assume that the game developers would want to refine their game as best they can thus this could be something they might want to consider. If anyone understands what I am trying to explain but thinks it is of insignificance and the majority of players won't care then that is your opinion. I will still try to notice inconsistencies in the game and make suggestions or alternatives.

Many players of this type of game enjoy or notice details(and macro play) and might be bothered by inconsistencies. I am just trying to help. Maybe my writing organization was unpopular.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 1:57:59 PM >

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 162
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 1:08:25 PM   
Webbco

I'm not so sure...I actually think this is a serious post.

Anyway, I love the races so far, part of me would really like to see a sentient quadruped species (walks on four legs). Just to mix it up a bit.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 163
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 1:27:00 PM   
Sarissofoi

Many players will change these race on instant.
I have two mods on mind.
1)Fury of Furry - making simply all race based on earth animals(no humans,  no cyborgs, no strange aliens) only cats dogs cows ,eyby chickens frogs and ants.
2)XVIII century empire in space - all race humans but based on XVIII century nations. Key feature is modable goverments in this case. Simply - English Bastards, Russian Tzardom, Prussian Militarist, Polish CommonWealth, Ottoman Empire etc. No genocide option make more sense in this setup.
3)Or meyby mix these two - yuu now French Frogs, Russian Bears, Spanish Bulls etc.

But lack of knowledge about this game and lack knowledge how modification and race characteristic will works makes this work simply waste of time. Temporary.

ONe things for sure. I will gladly see more race family: Avian(Mighty chickens for the win!) for sure, meyby Feline(Awesome Cats-yeah I know that I have soft spot for them) and canine(evil dogz, honorable wolfs, sneaky foxes) too.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 164
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 1:32:37 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

...I love the races so far, part of me would really like to see a sentient quadruped species (walks on four legs). Just to mix it up a bit.

I agree. Yet...Aside from heads and upper torsos we don't know what the alien body styles are. Though, from creative guessing, it appears that some of the known races ARE humanoid/bipedal.
There are some I can imagine with more than four limbs according to their descriptions and art.

I am hoping for some aliens, rendered in game maybe or later art, to have a variety in the body shapes other than just humanoid/bipedal.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000
I always like the aliens to have a variety of body shapes other than just humanoid and at least one of each of:
-a robotic/android race
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological)
-a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race similiar to 'Zerg' of Starcraft, 'The Flood' of Halo, 'Tyranids' of Warhammer 40,000, or others similiar. (Sulken most likely for now)
-(one or more) insectoid race similiar to ants, wasps, mantis, and roaches (Sulken can be one)
-a spider like race
-a crab like race (Done)
-an under water habitat race (Done)
-an ice habitat race (Done)
-a floater, gas giant planet dwelling race
-a scaled reptilian race
-a feathered avian race
-a furred mammalian race (Done)
-an amphibious race (Done)
-a tentacled race (Hakonish maybe)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696 : wish list thread

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/18/2010 11:22:47 AM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 165
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 1:44:03 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi
Yeah this is a joke. Lame one. Dont treat Wade1000 serius.

Ofcourse on other way if these 'Aliens" are uplifted race from earth creaturs then this will be another story.

quote:

Many players will change these race on instant.
I have two mods on mind.
1)Fury of Furry - making simply all race based on earth animals(no humans,  no cyborgs, no strange aliens) only cats dogs cows ,eyby chickens frogs and ants.
2)XVIII century empire in space - all race humans but based on XVIII century nations. Key feature is modable goverments in this case. Simply - English Bastards, Russian Tzardom, Prussian Militarist, Polish CommonWealth, Ottoman Empire etc. No genocide option make more sense in this setup.
3)Or meyby mix these two - yuu now French Frogs, Russian Bears, Spanish Bulls etc.

But lack of knowledge about this game and lack knowledge how modification and race characteristic will works makes this work simply waste of time. Temporary.

ONe things for sure. I will gladly see more race family: Avian(Mighty chickens for the win!) for sure, meyby Feline(Awesome Cats-yeah I know that I have soft spot for them) and canine(evil dogz, honorable wolfs, sneaky foxes) too.

Okay...those sound like jokes. Lame ones.
From your previous posts about your topic of your exactly earthly animal races I originally thought you were joking....I think maybe you are serious.

(Consider Sarissofoi serious with his/her lame joke-like, exactly earthly animal races, like some kind of cartoons for children.
Also, his/her lame joke-like XVIII century empires in space.
Also, his/her lame joke-like mixture of those two themes.)

Also, I believe that the vast majority of silent/lurking forum users and players of these types of games do not use mods. And...of the smaller percentage that do use mods I don't believe they would want a lame, joke-like, cartoonish mod like yours.

See what I did there?

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 1:47:49 PM >

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 166
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 2:01:38 PM   
Sarissofoi

Yeah. I see. More copy paste as you alvays do.
And what is bad with cartoonish aliens in space?
This game isnt very realistic or HARD(in sf meaning).
I mean no genocide, no planet busters, no glassing colonies, no many other things but I lack more info and details anyway(no pionts in geusing).
Cartoonish aliens fit space opera perfectly.
More that some your pursuing to become first brown nose in this part of galaxy.
:)
Man I am being mean. I suppose.
:)
No offense then and Good Luck to you.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 167
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 2:19:56 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

I mean no genocide, no planet busters, no glassing colonies, no many other things but I lack more info and details anyway(no pionts in geusing).

Well, I agree on having more of that in game. And, you have made good points in other thread posts. I suppose I can accept your cartoon-like races as a particular style category. :)

quote:

More that some your pursuing to become first brown nose in this part of galaxy.

:/
If this is in reference to MY portrayal and list of the kind of aliens I would like in game then...we just prefer different styles. I like more "hard" science-fiction type of races. I think most gamers do.
If this is in reference to my type of posts then I just say that I like to inform, suggest, and comment.

We both seem exited in our own ways about the game. I like to write about my preferences and aliens in general. You seem to like your animals. :)

Okay. No offense to you too. May the Force be with you.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/13/2010 2:21:21 PM >

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 168
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 11:08:43 PM   
Sarissofoi

My My. Cartoonish aliens you say?
Many of alien race from sf novels or games are as you say cartoonish.
See by yourself.
Kzinti or Killrathi. Simply Lions in space

Reguls. Simply frogs in space.
Many others. Most games have them.
Space operas are full of them. Some are more wierd than others. Hard sf on the other hands dont have aliens or they are to diffrent to comunicate(and thinking about conquering them and ruling in hard sf is a blasphemy).
BTW What is a possibility that two alien race obtain in the same time faster than light drive? And then you take 3, 4 or 5? And then you take 20 race.How much is this possible? XVIII empires in space. Or even vikings in space have better propability.

But nevermind this. I hope that customisation will be easy and quick. Then anyone can do some modding for his liking.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 169
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/13/2010 11:18:24 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

My My. Cartoonish aliens you say?
Many of alien race from sf novels or games are as you say cartoonish.
See by yourself.
Kzinti or Killrathi. Simply Lions in space

And there are my cats!!

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 170
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 12:22:24 AM   
Wade1000

Well, Sarissofoi, I like some earthly animal elements in aliens too. I am just saying that I prefer most of them to look mostly alien or totally alien.

Many space strategy games have a backstory to explain how many races can be at about the same level of technology at the same period of time. I read that Distant Worlds has some sort of story that has more revealed as we play.
These types of back stories can make sense in a setting of a galaxy but I think less sense if they are set in just an area/sector of a galaxy.
Also, those types of back stories, or even if there is an absense of a back story, often can be abstracededly imagined in many ways to explain the galatic race setup.

From a theoretical scientific view point on the issue on the number of alien race civilizations in a galaxy or the universe we can consider the Drake Equation and many other view points of scientists/astronomers.
I know that some people do not accept the Drake Equation.
Though, even applying very conservative figures into the calculation results in many numbers of communicating civilizations in our galaxy. But, yeah, that would mean nothing to those that don't accept the Drake Equation idea in general. Yes, it IS a sort of theory equation but it is based in the knowlede of science and the estimates of scientists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
http://www.pbs.org/lifebeyondearth/listening/drake.html : Drake Equation calculator
-----
Drake estimates 10,000 communicating civilizations in the Milky Way today.

from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_v99FSTYc : Carl Sagan Explains the Drake Equation
Carl Sagan estimated millions of communicating civilizations in the Milky Way today.

quote:

(from http://www.angelfire.com/indie/anna_jones1/drake.html )

So, depending on the value of L, N can range from about 100 to several billion. Most likely, an intermediate value is closer to the truth, so most scientists take N = 106. Thus, there may be a million or so civilizations within our own galaxy with whom we might communicate.

This number refers to the Milky Way Galaxy only. The universe contains at least as many galaxies as there are stars in the Milky Way. The reason for the restriction to the Milky Way is because intragalactic communication seems far easier than extragalactic communication. The nearest star in our galaxy would require several years for a round-trip message, while the farthest stars require tens of thousands of years. In contrast, to exchange a message with a civilization in the Andromeda galaxy would require about 4 million years, while further galaxies would require several billion years (by which time we might well be extinct). So chances for a real conversation is much better if we limit the equation to only the Milky Way galaxy.

quote:

(from wikipedia.org)

The Drake equation states that:

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;
and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
f§¤ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.[3]

Expansions
Additional factors that have been described for the Drake equation include:

nr or reappearance number: The average number of times a new civilization reappears on the same planet where a previous civilization once has appeared and ended
fm or METI factor (see below): The fraction of communicative civilizations that actually engage in deliberate interstellar transmission.
With these factors in mind, the Drake equation states:
[ N = R* x fp x ne x fe x fi x fc x (1 + nr) x fm x L. ]

Reappearance number
The equation may furthermore be multiplied by how many times an intelligent civilization may occur on planets where it has happened once. Even if an intelligent civilization reaches the end of its lifetime after, for example, 10,000 years, life may still prevail on the planet for billions of years, availing for the next civilization to evolve. Thus, several civilizations may come and go during the lifespan of one and the same planet. Thus, if nr is the average number of times a new civilization reappears on the same planet where a previous civilization once has appeared and ended, then the total number of civilizations on such a planet would be (1+nr), which is the actual reappearance factor added to the equation.

The factor depends on what generally is the cause of civilization extinction. If it is generally by temporary inhabitability, for example a nuclear winter, then nr may be relatively high. On the other hand, if it is generally by permanent inhabitability, such as stellar evolution, then nr may be almost zero.

In the case of total life extinction, a similar factor may be applicable for fℓ, that is, how many times life may appear on a planet where it has appeared once.

As to the level of technological development of various alien races in a galaxy or the universe, well, I suppose there are many at each varying level. I think the very, very, highly advanced civilizations might either totally ignore or mentor lesser advanced civilizations.
The most advanced civilizations might largely skip colonizing planets, considering them to be nature preserves. They might instead build artificial habitats such as Ships, Ring Orbitals, Sphere Orbitals, Ringworlds, and Sphereworlds. :D
These are portrayed in the Culture series novels by Iain M. Banks. Ships and Orbitals represent the main form of habitat for the Culture.
Even the wikipedia entry of it is an interesting read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture
The Culture list of species is interesting too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_species_(The_Culture)

Also, advanced civilizations might either totally ignore(or mentor) the lesser advanced civilizations because they have transcended/ascended/sublimed their consciousness or intelligence to a pure energy form to exist free of material forms; possibly in other universes, dimensions, realms, areas, and space.
-----

quote:

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture )

Living space
Much of the Culture's population lives on Orbitals, vast artificial worlds that can accommodate billions of people. Others travel the galaxy in huge space ships such as GSVs ('General Systems Vehicles') that can accommodate hundreds of millions of people. Almost no Culture citizens are described as living on planets, except when visiting other civilisations. The reason for this is partly because the Culture believes in containing its own expansion to self-constructed habitats, instead of colonising or conquering new planets. With the resources of the universe allowing permanent expansion (at least assuming non-exponential growth), this frees them from having to compete for living space.

The Culture, and other civilisations in Banks' universe, are described as living in these various, often constructed habitats:

Airspheres
These are vast, brown dwarf-sized bubbles of atmosphere enclosed by force fields, and (presumably) set up by an ancient advanced race at least one and a half billion years ago. There is only minimal gravity within an airsphere. They are illuminated by moon-sized orbiting planetoids that emit enormous light beams.

Citizens of the Culture live there only very occasionally as guests, usually to study the complex ecosystem of the airspheres and the dominant life-forms: the "dirigible behemothaurs" and "gigalithine lenticular entities," which may be described as inscrutable, ancient intelligences looking similar to a cross between gigantic blimps and whales. The airspheres slowly migrate around the galaxy, taking anywhere from 50 to 100 million years to complete one circuit. In the novels no one knows who created the airspheres or why, but it is presumed that whoever did has long since sublimed but may maintain some obscure link with the behemothaurs and lenticular entities. Guests in the airspheres are not allowed to use any force-field technology, though no reason has been offered for this prohibition.

The airspheres resemble in some respects the orbit-sized ring of breathable atmosphere created by Larry Niven in "The Integral Trees", but spherical not toroidal, require a force field to retain their integrity, and arose by artificial rather than natural processes.

Orbitals
Main article: Orbital (The Culture)
One of the main types of habitats of the Culture, an orbital is a ring structure orbiting a star as would a planet. Unlike a Ringworld or a Dyson Sphere, an orbital does not enclose the star (being much too small). However, like a ringworld, the orbital rotates to provide an analog of gravity on the inner surface. A Culture orbital rotates about once every 24 hours and has 'gravity' about the same as Earth's, making the diameter of the ring about 3,000,000 km, and ensuring that the inhabitants experience 'night' and 'day'. Orbitals feature prominently in many Culture stories.

Planets
Though many other civilisations in the Culture books live on planets, the Culture as it currently exists has little direct connection to planet life. A small number of 'homeworlds' of the founding member species of the Culture are mentioned in passing, and a few hundred human-habitable worlds were colonised (some being terraformed) before the Culture chose to turn towards artificial habitats, preferring to keep the planets it encounters 'wild'. Since then, terraforming has become looked down on by the Culture as inelegant, ecologically problematic and possibly even immoral. Less than one percent of the population of the Culture lives on planets, and many find the very concept a bit bizarre.

This respect is not absolute though; in Consider Phlebas, some Minds suggest testing a new technology on a 'spare planet' (knowing that it could be destroyed in an antimatter explosion if unsuccessful). It should be assumed from their normal ethics, however, that this planet would have been lifeless to start with. It's also quite possible, even probable, that the suggestion was not made in complete seriousness.

Rings
Ringworld-like megastructures exist in the Culture universe but are referred to simply as 'Rings' with a capital 'R'. These habitats are not described in detail but one is recorded as having been destroyed (along with 3 Spheres) in the Idiran-Culture war. In Matter, the Morthanveld people possesses ringworldlike structures made of innumerable various-sized tubes. Those structures encircle a star just like Niven's Ringworld and are about the same size.

Rocks
These are asteroids and other non-planetary bodies hollowed out for habitation and usually spun for centripetal 'gravity'. Rocks (with the exception of those used for secretive purposes) are described as having faster-than-light space drives, and thus can be considered a special form of spaceship. Like Orbitals, they are usually administered by one or more Minds.

Rocks do not play a large part in most of the Culture stories, though their use as storage for mothballed military ships (Pittance) and habitats (Phage Rock, one of the founding communities of the Culture) are both key plot points in Excession.

Shellworlds
Shellworlds are introduced in Matter, and consist of multilayered levels of concentric spheres in four dimensions held up by innumerable titanic interior towers. Their extra dimensional characteristics render some products of Culture technology too dangerous to use and yet others ineffective. They were built millions of years ago as vast machines intended to cast a forcefield around the whole of the galaxy for unknown purposes. However, the species that developed this technology are now lost, and many of the remaining shellworlds have become inhabited, often by many different species throughout their varying levels. Many however still hold deadly secret defense mechanisms, often leading to great danger for their new inhabitants, giving them one of their other nicknames: Slaughter Worlds.

Ships
Main article: Ship types (The Culture)
See also: List of ships (The Culture)
Ships in the Culture are intelligent individuals, often of very large size, controlled by one or more Minds. The ship is considered the Mind's 'body'. Some ships (General Systems Vehicles) are tens or even hundreds of kilometers in length and may have millions or even billions of residents who live on them full time, and together with Orbitals represent the main form of habitat for the Culture. Such large ships may temporarily contain smaller ships with their own populations, and/or manufacture such ships themselves.

In Use of Weapons, the protagonist Zakalwe is allowed to acclimatise himself to the Culture by wandering for days through the habitable levels of a ship (the GSV "Size Isn't Everything" described as over 80 kilometers long) eating and sleeping at the many locations which provide food and accommodation throughout the structure, and enjoying the various forms of contact possible with the friendly and accommodating inhabitants.

Spheres
Dyson spheres also exist in the Culture universe but are only mentioned in passing and are simply called 'Spheres'. Three spheres are recorded as having been destroyed in the Idiran-Culture war.

In Matter, the Morthanveld Nestworld of Syaung-un is a 'Sphere World' consisting of a complex arrangement of transparent tubes within tubes, all revolving around a small central star. The Nestworld is alleged to contain forty trillion Morthanveld, more intelligent beings than on all the Culture and associated worlds put together. There are also noted to be other Nestworlds, but none as big as Syaung-un.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/17/2010 1:56:22 PM >

Post #: 171
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 1:07:21 AM   
Mad Russian

Yeah, I want other races in the galaxy to know we can't communicate with them in any other way than sending out a pre-recorded radio message.....we can't come visit you but please come visit us with your far superior technology.....GREAT IDEA.....

MR

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 172
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 2:12:57 AM   
Wade1000

Yeah, it seems like our scientists assumed that all other alien race civilizations would be peacefull and have similiar values to ours. But many of us want to know what sorts of others are out there to be part of a greater community and hope that contact can bring greater prosperity. I suppose it's a gamble to reach out to communicate.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/14/2010 10:43:03 AM >

Post #: 173
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 8:30:01 AM   
lancer

[deleted]

< Message edited by lancer -- 3/14/2010 8:32:19 AM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 174
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 7:28:34 PM   
Mad Russian

9 days until release and we have more than 9 alien races left to be done. Not sure the artist is going to finish by the 23rd.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 175
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 7:44:33 PM   
Duckfang

quote:

9 days until release and we have more than 9 alien races left to be done. Not sure the artist is going to finish by the 23rd.

Good Hunting.

MR

I wasn't under the impression they were releasing the images and info as the artist finishes them. I thought they were just releasing them slowly to pass the time.

Did I miss something?

Post #: 176
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/14/2010 9:22:11 PM   
Okim

IIRC someone said that Devs were waiting for the last race artwork, not for the whole race artwork.

(in reply to Duckfang)
Post #: 177
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 2:01:04 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okim

IIRC someone said that Devs were waiting for the last race artwork, not for the whole race artwork.

Would you explain the difference to me please.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Okim)
Post #: 178
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 2:05:12 AM   
Sarissofoi

Vodka.
This is the answer.
For anything.

Post #: 179
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 3:43:20 AM   
Duckfang

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okim

Would you explain the difference to me please.

Good Hunting.

MR

They're waiting for the final pieces of race art, not for all the race art that we haven't seen.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI