Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So tell us a little about yourself!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/8/2010 9:37:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

Interesting thread - usually don't do this, but seeing all of the varied stories, thought I'd add mine to the mix.

Began gaming in the early 60's with "D-Day" and I was hooked ever since. My brother and I would mow lawns in the summer to buy Avalon Hill games - "Guadalcanal", "Midway", "1914" [never a quick game] and so on. Also played SPI game then morfing into computer games.

Joined "The Corps" in 1969, and did my tour in the Republic of South Vietnam as an 0311 [infantry {grunt} - thus the "handle"] at one point under the command of then Capt. Anthony Zinni [now a retired LtGen]. "Retired" as a Lance Corporal of Marines.

I now work for the State Public Defender's Office on their forensic Trial Team [best gig ever]. I'm married with two grown daughters and soon to be a first-time grandfather [still wrapping my head around that one]. My wife knows that I love gaming and never complains about my hobby.

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed a PBEM like I have with WiTP and AE - although I have several of Matrix's games.

@grunt6971: I can't help but thinking you must be close to where I am now-based upon your "From:" line in your avatar. Am I in the ballpark?

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 31
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/9/2010 3:40:47 AM   
BB57

Grunt welcome home

AW1 Steve I'm about 150 miles north of Omaha.
With your background check out the SAC museum they might need you.

My forum name comes from the South Dakota memorial, about 30 miles from my house.

Four years active duty Air Force, worked on a plane that didn't have what I worked on! Retired from the Air Guard.

I have played a lot of SSG, SSI, and Matrix titles. My long time PBEM partner and I snail mailed a disk back and forth to play Pacwar. Neither one of us had internet service.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 32
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/9/2010 11:54:34 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BB57

Grunt welcome home

AW1 Steve I'm about 150 miles north of Omaha.
With your background check out the SAC museum they might need you.

My forum name comes from the South Dakota memorial, about 30 miles from my house.

Four years active duty Air Force, worked on a plane that didn't have what I worked on! Retired from the Air Guard.

I have played a lot of SSG, SSI, and Matrix titles. My long time PBEM partner and I snail mailed a disk back and forth to play Pacwar. Neither one of us had internet service.

Only 150 miles? That makes us practically nieghbors! On one of my planned road trips I'll have to swing by your way and buy you a drink!

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 33
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/9/2010 5:02:30 PM   
BB57

I do road construction so not home much in the summer but have all winter off. A get together would be great. Any one else close?

Steve

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 34
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/9/2010 5:45:50 PM   
findmeifyoucan

Well, I am a wargamer aholic. Frustrate the hell out of my wife, lol. Been playing since college days back in the 80's when I thought chess was the most complicated game. I was proven wrong at the age of 17 even though I had already beaten a chessmaster at that age and have been playing wargames ever since. Loved those SPI monster board games like "War in Europe", "War in the Pacific", War between the States, INvasion America. Favourites were the first two. Oh yeah and "Napoleon at Warterloo" was another good one!
Yeah, I was one of those guys that prefered to stay home and play wargames all weekend with 2 hours sleep in three days rather than go find a girlfriend or two or three. :-) Not that I didn't find time to get a girlfriend in that busy schedule of mine playing wargames and going to school. LOL Frustrated the hell out of my father, hee, hee.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 35
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/11/2010 9:43:00 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

Interesting thread - usually don't do this, but seeing all of the varied stories, thought I'd add mine to the mix.

Began gaming in the early 60's with "D-Day" and I was hooked ever since. My brother and I would mow lawns in the summer to buy Avalon Hill games - "Guadalcanal", "Midway", "1914" [never a quick game] and so on. Also played SPI game then morfing into computer games.

Joined "The Corps" in 1969, and did my tour in the Republic of South Vietnam as an 0311 [infantry {grunt} - thus the "handle"] at one point under the command of then Capt. Anthony Zinni [now a retired LtGen]. "Retired" as a Lance Corporal of Marines.

I now work for the State Public Defender's Office on their forensic Trial Team [best gig ever]. I'm married with two grown daughters and soon to be a first-time grandfather [still wrapping my head around that one]. My wife knows that I love gaming and never complains about my hobby.

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed a PBEM like I have with WiTP and AE - although I have several of Matrix's games.

@grunt6971: I can't help but thinking you must be close to where I am now-based upon your "From:" line in your avatar. Am I in the ballpark?

If you swing hard enough the ball will end up in Duluth.........

< Message edited by grunt6971 -- 3/11/2010 9:46:45 PM >

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/15/2010 10:13:30 PM   
AW1Steve

Gentlemen , don't be shy! Some of you haven't been forthcoming......we won't bite!  Tell us about yourself , your games, etc.

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 37
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 4:08:50 PM   
Grunt

Former Marine infantry, hence the call sign. Started playing wargames with my brothers in the late 60's with AH's Guadalcanal, then Midway, Luftwaffe and Panzerblitz. Left the brothers behind when I got into Squad Leader. Too much detail for them. But we used to make up our own "miniature" rules and play with HO scale troops and tanks in the backyard.

My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies. In addition to wargames I enjoy flyfishing, bicycling, playing some guitar, photography, snow skiing, travel. My wife and I are learning Italian together.

Been living in the San Francisco Bay Area now for the past 20 years.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 38
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 9:43:29 PM   
Popeye USN

AW1 and BB57: I was born in Sioux Falls, SD, but spent most my early years in Sioux City, IA. Back in the day we used to play football against Sioux Falls O'Gorman (sp) and in Omaha, Boy's Town. Married my high school sweet heart and promply joined the Navy in 66 as it was my turn....third generation Navy. To be brief, went in the Navy an E-1 and came out after serving 26 an O-5. Oh, and still married to the same girl 46 years later. Recently retired again from teaching at the High School level. Still kind of on sea duty as I belong to the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Oh, the thread. Only started a few years ago with UV which I still play if I can find an opponent. Might try this one...but understaind one game takes a long time? As as someone once said, "I don't even buy green banana's!"

If you can read this, thank a teacher;
If it's in English, thank a veteran.

(in reply to Grunt)
Post #: 39
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 9:48:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Popeye USN

AW1 and BB57: I was born in Sioux Falls, SD, but spent most my early years in Sioux City, IA. Back in the day we used to play football against Sioux Falls O'Gorman (sp) and in Omaha, Boy's Town. Married my high school sweet heart and promply joined the Navy in 66 as it was my turn....third generation Navy. To be brief, went in the Navy an E-1 and came out after serving 26 an O-5. Oh, and still married to the same girl 46 years later. Recently retired again from teaching at the High School level. Still kind of on sea duty as I belong to the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Oh, the thread. Only started a few years ago with UV which I still play if I can find an opponent. Might try this one...but understaind one game takes a long time? As as someone once said, "I don't even buy green banana's!"

Cool ! A Mustang! My favorite kind of officer!

It doesn't have to take a long time. Several of the short scenarios go from two weeks (Coral Sea) to Several months (Thousand mile war and Guadacanal). The long full blown war scenario's take as long to play as it did to fight the war. 1turn=1 day.

(in reply to Popeye USN)
Post #: 40
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:29:28 PM   
sprior

Is that like Mustang Sally?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 41
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:32:10 PM   
thegreatwent

Mustangs are enlisted types who give into the dark side and become officer

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 42
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:34:31 PM   
sprior

They asked me and I said no.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 43
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:38:45 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because you were having too much fun in the torpedo tube?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 44
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:43:58 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

Actually what I said was, "Put me down for it sir but I'm not going to lick your @r$e or anyone else's to get it".

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 45
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 10:46:32 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually what I said was, "Put me down for it sir but I'm not going to lick your @r$e or anyone else's to get it".

And you were expected to? You do have a different way of officer selection in the RN , don't you?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 46
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 11:45:24 PM   
sprior

Those looking for promotion often get the stupid crappy jobs that the officers don't want to do. No thanks.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 47
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/16/2010 11:47:58 PM   
sprior

Looking back on it all I was 32 when I left the RN and thought I was so experienced and tough. In truth we were still young and the crews driving around those SSBNs were all so yong, yet we were the ones expected to deal out retribution to those who would destroy our homeland.

And those nice people at the CND tried to get us condemned as war criminals.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 48
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 2:14:41 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Looking back on it all I was 32 when I left the RN and thought I was so experienced and tough. In truth we were still young and the crews driving around those SSBNs were all so yong, yet we were the ones expected to deal out retribution to those who would destroy our homeland.

And those nice people at the CND tried to get us condemned as war criminals.

Yeah , they were a fun lot.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 49
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 3:55:58 AM   
Central Blue

quote:

I was shocked and appalled to find that apparently I never did one of these threads for AE . At least I couldn't find one. And WITP's is , well how we say it? Semi-defunct, perhaps. Any way , there are newbies amongst us. So tell us the story behind your Avatar, sig line and log in name, and a little bit about yourself. We don't bite. At least not too badly. Well, alright Bobo does, but he's been MIA for a couple of months now. So ....

Hello , my name is AW1Steve, and I'm WITP-a-holic..............

hey old geezer, there's one you started about six pages back. But if it's worth saying once, it's worth repeating.

Central Blue -- Locksley Hall

Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;

Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;

I found it in Morrison's Two Ocean War. I don't read a lot of military history except for what I can browse at places like Ibiblio or various .mil sites. I do enjoy other types of history. The books I am currently slogging through are American Lion and McCullogh's 1776I enjoy memoirs like Company Aitch, Wah-to-Yah, and Cowboy Detective.

I might do an avatar some day. Maybe a Disc World character.

Sig line is because I'm a Cardinal fan from St. Louis. It could be better done, but it's sufficient.

My current line of work is probably coincidental to my enjoyment of naval war games going back to sea power three.

Got into the board game genre when my oldest brother came home from college with AH Blitzkrieg somewhere in the mid 60's.

< Message edited by Central Blue -- 3/17/2010 3:56:03 AM >

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 50
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 4:16:35 AM   
Mynok

quote:

Does my heart good to hear that, don't ya know....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 51
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 4:21:45 AM   
Mynok

Well...since I haven't done this since the UV days.....

Been wargaming since I was 12. Started with Tactics II and Squad Leader. Pretty much bought and played the gamut of AH games and some SPI works, specifically the ACW series. Great games.

Hit the computer games early on with Silent Service, VGA Planets, Stars, Space Empires, Civ I-III, Gettysburg, and then the addictive UV-WitpAE series. Also tried Crown of Glory and most of the AGEOD series.

Some of my best wargaming experiences were with multi-player Napoleonics. Played a War in Peace grand campaign by mail in the non-computer days. Empires in Arms is an absolute classic and still one of my favorites.

Even did my time with miniatures in the ancients realm. Still have a nice 25mm Achaemenid Persian force.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 52
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 4:22:12 AM   
Q-Ball

I am very boring. I have a pretty nice house, a family, and a nice dog. Nothing much happens around here. I am from Illinois, which is a fairly boring state. I have a boring job, but it's stable and good enough to pay every bill and have some left over for travel and games and dogfood and whatnot. So I guess that's OK.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 53
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 5:19:35 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I am very boring. I have a pretty nice house, a family, and a nice dog. Nothing much happens around here. I am from Illinois, which is a fairly boring state. I have a boring job, but it's stable and good enough to pay every bill and have some left over for travel and games and dogfood and whatnot. So I guess that's OK.

Boring is good. In fact boring is very good. As a matter of fact, boring is something that I aspire to.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 54
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 7:06:32 AM   
Canoerebel

My parents gave me my first board wargame (AH's Blitzkrieg) in the mid 70s and I was hooked. Have a cabinet full of AH and Victory Games. I think my favorites were Midway and American Civil War. Stumbled my way through some of the earlier computer games (Talonsaoft series and Harpoon in particular). Found UV in late 2002 and, since then, it's been that and WitP and AE.

I live in northwestern Georgia with my wife of nearly 23 years, daughter, and two sons. I'll be 50 late this year, a milestone which leaves me rather stunned. But I'm lucky to have a great family and a job that is pure pleasure, so I'll accept my age and try not to do anything stupid to prove that I'm really young even though I'm not.

Miller and John III have been my opponents since UV days. Somewhere back in what seems prehistoric times I even squared off against Admiral Dadman in UV. He beat me handily.

I nonchalantly picked my screen name in the '90s, not realizing it would actually stick with me. I don't canoe that much any more and, while I'm a proud Southerner, I'm glad to be an American.

I never served in the military, but my father (Army sergeant, WWII), step-father (quartermaster, US Navy, WWII), and father-in-law (Army armor, Korean War) did so so that I didn't have to. Thanks, dads.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/17/2010 7:09:04 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 55
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 8:46:26 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

Boring is good. In fact boring is very good. As a matter of fact, boring is something that I aspire to.

I wish for boring. Life has other plans.

Like traveling to China in 24 hours to pick up a new daughter. A future WITP-AE player.....or maybe a designer of WITP 2?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 56
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 12:31:49 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

My parents gave me my first board wargame (AH's Blitzkrieg) in the mid 70s and I was hooked. Have a cabinet full of AH and Victory Games. I think my favorites were Midway and American Civil War. Stumbled my way through some of the earlier computer games (Talonsaoft series and Harpoon in particular). Found UV in late 2002 and, since then, it's been that and WitP and AE.

I live in northwestern Georgia with my wife of nearly 23 years, daughter, and two sons. I'll be 50 late this year, a milestone which leaves me rather stunned. But I'm lucky to have a great family and a job that is pure pleasure, so I'll accept my age and try not to do anything stupid to prove that I'm really young even though I'm not.

Miller and John III have been my opponents since UV days. Somewhere back in what seems prehistoric times I even squared off against Admiral Dadman in UV. He beat me handily.

I nonchalantly picked my screen name in the '90s, not realizing it would actually stick with me. I don't canoe that much any more and, while I'm a proud Southerner, I'm glad to be an American.

I never served in the military, but my father (Army sergeant, WWII), step-father (quartermaster, US Navy, WWII), and father-in-law (Army armor, Korean War) did so so that I didn't have to. Thanks, dads.

Sounds like you might want to consider posting in the "Geezer Thread", join us in the fun! The best part of getting old is inflicting revenge on the young and undeserving! Pay it forward!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 57
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 12:32:40 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

I wish for boring. Life has other plans.

Like traveling to China in 24 hours to pick up a new daughter. A future WITP-AE player.....or maybe a designer of WITP 2?

Good luck on the trip and congratulations to the newest family member!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 58
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 4:00:52 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I'll be 50 late this year, a milestone which leaves me rather stunned....

Sounds like you might want to consider posting in the "Geezer Thread", join us in the fun! The best part of getting old is inflicting revenge on the young and undeserving! Pay it forward!

AW1Steve, thanks for the invite, but I cannot wrap my head around the concept of being deemed a geezer. I think I'm having issues.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 59
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/17/2010 4:03:08 PM   
sprior

Don't do it C, it's a trap. Dude. Just taunt the old farts from the safety of the pavement.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: So tell us a little about yourself! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI