Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Patch 3 crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Patch 3 crash Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Patch 3 crash - 3/5/2010 9:56:10 AM   
Yakface

Hi

Just updated with the new patch and I'm getting a problem with crashes now. The replay works fine, but after about 10 minutes of putting in orders (during which time again everything seems OK) the window in whcih I am running the game goes white (except for the blue window border).

The trigger seems to be opening or closing one of the in game 'windows' (something like the air group view or planes database or anything similar). Once gone it never comes back. If I leave the PC or try to do other things it becomes progreesively slower and then stops (and CAPSLOCK button stops working).

I am not running in widescreen mode. I've tried it with and without the intel dual core switches that are suggested. Same for two different installs (I have one for my Japanese game and a separate one for Allies). I can imagine it's hard to diagnose on such flimsy info, but any suggestions as to how to get things working?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/5/2010 11:49:22 AM   
michaelm75au

If it is repeatable, can you supply a save with the steps to make it go boom.

Michael

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 2
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/5/2010 12:45:22 PM   
Yakface

Hi Michael

I can certainly post a save when I get home. However I fear that the problem is not so much with the save, more the interraction between whatever has changed by the patch and my PC and so I'm guessing i will not perform its shenanigans for you as it is for me.

There's not just one single thing that triggers it. It's more a case that after about 10 or 15 minutes of doing normal order issuing things, I will click a button and AE will die on me - never the same task twice where it has died.

I assume you don't have to run the patched program in widescreen mode or with a particular screen resolution if you don't want to?

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 3
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/6/2010 4:29:20 PM   
antonius45

Hi

I have got exactly the same problem as Yakface : after some time playing (either 10 minutes or one hour), my window goes white right after I click on some button and the game crashes.

At first I thought that the new resolution I was using (great improvement !) was the problem so I went back to 1024x768 but it didn't help.

Until the latest patch AE would never crash on me, now it has become nearly impossible to play

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 4
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 1:19:15 AM   
michaelm75au

Attach a save and I'll firstly see if anything is obvious.

Michael

(in reply to antonius45)
Post #: 5
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 6:33:34 AM   
dorjun driver

I had the same problem with the beta that Yakface is experiencing. Never resolved.  Haven't bothered to try the latest patch.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2385462

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

Post #: 6
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 9:42:47 AM   
antonius45

Yesterday I tried running the game in Win98 compatible mode.

That disabled the new resolution feature (-px1600 -py900 and other resolutions supported by my screen didn't work anymore) but the good news is that I could play the whole evenning without any crash.

Of course maybe I was only lucky and need to play many more hours (yeepee !) before I can safely conclude that really fixed the problem.

Post #: 7
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 4:22:29 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Hi

Just updated with the new patch and I'm getting a problem with crashes now. The replay works fine, but after about 10 minutes of putting in orders (during which time again everything seems OK) the window in whcih I am running the game goes white (except for the blue window border).

The trigger seems to be opening or closing one of the in game 'windows' (something like the air group view or planes database or anything similar). Once gone it never comes back. If I leave the PC or try to do other things it becomes progreesively slower and then stops (and CAPSLOCK button stops working).

I am not running in widescreen mode. I've tried it with and without the intel dual core switches that are suggested. Same for two different installs (I have one for my Japanese game and a separate one for Allies). I can imagine it's hard to diagnose on such flimsy info, but any suggestions as to how to get things working?

Thanks

have been experiencing the same instability since installing the patch. Before the patch (in 6 months game time) I had perhaps three crashes, since the patch (2 weeks game time) I had something like halve a dozen crashes. Can´t repeat it though, it happens now and then when putting in orders. It just freezes and then crashes.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 8
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 6:01:34 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface
I assume you don't have to run the patched program in widescreen mode or with a particular screen resolution if you don't want to?

Absolutely not!

Just remove those pesky like command line switches ...

-px

-py

and things will get back to normal!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 9
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 6:09:28 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy
have been experiencing the same instability since installing the patch.

Are you running with the -px -py command line switches?

For me, I've been running since August release with zero (the integer less than one) crashes.

But I do see some "pausing" and involuntary screen changes when running in widescreen mode. Like if I click on the air base indicator or the port indicator, some times the screen pauses and I wind up seeing the base screen instead of the air list or the ship list. Because of this, when playing in widescreen mode, I have changed my habits to click on the base first then the air list or ship list. This at least stops the "pausing" and "involuntary screen changes". But for me, none of these items causes a crash. I have not seen a crash on my box since game release

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 10
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 7:19:14 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy
have been experiencing the same instability since installing the patch.

Are you running with the -px -py command line switches?

For me, I've been running since August release with zero (the integer less than one) crashes.

But I do see some "pausing" and involuntary screen changes when running in widescreen mode. Like if I click on the air base indicator or the port indicator, some times the screen pauses and I wind up seeing the base screen instead of the air list or the ship list. Because of this, when playing in widescreen mode, I have changed my habits to click on the base first then the air list or ship list. This at least stops the "pausing" and "involuntary screen changes". But for me, none of these items causes a crash. I have not seen a crash on my box since game release

yup, running widescreen. I´ve got the feeling that it´s related to windowed mode. Am now running full screen 1920x1080 and full screen prevents the game from going into this "pause mode" during giving orders. It seems that in windowed mode sometimes it happens that this pause causes the game to crash. Am now alt-tabbing between tracker and the game...

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 11
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/7/2010 7:34:05 PM   
BigJ62

I used to see this a lot long before wide screen and for some reason it just stopped happening, mind you I started with xp32 then to vista 64 and now to win 7 64. When I enabled IIS and all it's modules the problem went away on vista and have not seen it since, maybe IIS is just a coincidence.

I would also experiment with command line switches to see if this helps.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

Post #: 12
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 7:54:56 AM   
michaelm75au

Try turning Music down to '0'.
In testing, I do a lot of screen switching when debugging the code. Every so often, I get a crash in the Sound code section of the Engine. IIRC, it seems to be in the same place each  time. [I'll pay more attention where in future to see if there is a distinct pattern.]

That place is when switching sound files from what I can see; the old sound is finished and it wants to start a new one, but the code is no longer pointing at a valid 'sound player' anymore. Presumely the old 'sound player' has finished and been released, but the new sound does not know this.

Turning off the music seems to help with this, although I don't know if the other sounds can be a source of problems too. But these generally are quick 'in and out' sounds, not like the long playing music.

Michael

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 13
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 10:42:22 AM   
Yakface

I have resolved my problem.

I was not playing with the widescreen switches, just the same old '-w' switch with the extra ones for intel dual core.

The problem disappeared when I went for full screen mode with the appropriate -px -py values (still with the dual core switches). It does seem that my issue was with the 'windowed' switch as I tried a windowed, widescreen mode and was still crashing. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

< Message edited by Yakface -- 3/8/2010 10:46:03 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 10:51:22 AM   
castor troy

IMO it´s related to windowed mode, therefore I´ve switched back to full screen mode. In full screen mode I´ve never got those pauses and therefore no freeze/crash. Have to alt tab between tracker and the game though, but this is by far not as annoying as losing twice your orders of a turn due to a crash three minutes before ending the turn.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 15
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 2:27:25 PM   
michaelm75au

Question:
when playing window mode with wide screen, does the animations bounce up and down?

Michael

Post #: 16
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 4:31:27 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Question:
when playing window mode with wide screen, does the animations bounce up and down?

Not for me.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 17
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 5:51:21 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Question:

Not for me.

I saw some of that on the ship details screen with the beta patch, when mousing over "clickable" links, but don't see it with the official patch 3.

I have seen occasional "pauses" when in widescreen windowed mode with Patch 3. It's similar to what I used to see on AE and WitP in windowed mode, until the CPU affinity switches were introduced. Very minor in my case, so far.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 18
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 5:53:23 PM   
BigJ62

In xp32 I still see the pausing but not in win7x64.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 19
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 6:24:50 PM   
Nikel

bouncing happens here with ships animations when you maximize the window and disappears when you restore down, is reproducible

< Message edited by Nikel -- 3/8/2010 6:27:12 PM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 20
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/8/2010 9:16:55 PM   
Yakface

I went back to the old problematic settings. Saw no bouncing

(in reply to Nikel)
Post #: 21
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/9/2010 7:49:52 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikel

bouncing happens here with ships animations when you maximize the window and disappears when you restore down, is reproducible

Correct.
It is caused by using full screen px,py when the using the '-w' switch at the same time. Remove the '-w' and it works properly

Michael

(in reply to Nikel)
Post #: 22
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/9/2010 8:46:38 AM   
castor troy

quote:

Question:

not sure what you mean by animations bouncing up and down, I haven´t seen anything strange in my animations so I guess the answer would be, no, I haven´t seen them bouncing up and down.

Have been playing in full screen now and had one crash when I tried to leave the unit menu of a CV. This is one of the things where I´ve often saw the game crashing already, usually I do a save before going into the CVs and their squadrons.

In full screen I don´t have the pause though.

Post #: 23
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 4:45:31 AM   
michaelm75au

The switching to the base screen when picking from the group or TF list is related to time lag between drawing the group/TF screen and checking the mouse location for an airfield/port.
I just recently managed to repeat this and actually catch it as it was happening.
Briefly, you click on the airfield icon.
The game checks what is located at that position and opens a list of groups (if more than one).
At the same time, the position of the mouse is being checked to see what sort of hex it is over.
Now if the timing is off, the group screen is draw. Plus the game engine sees that there is no AF in hex under the mouse and issues a 'draw base' command which replaces the group screen.
The same thing can happen with TFs and ports.

I have added another test to the 'draw base' command. It wont issue that command if the top window on the map is a Group, TF screen.
Hopefully this will fix the problem.

The reason it is happening more often on the wide screen is because it does take longer to refresh the screen, and this opens the window on the timing difference between the screen draw and the mouse check.
Also, I notice that I have a tendency to pick an item off the list and then move the mouse to the left into the ocean where there is no AF symbol.
This is how I could make it happen fairly regularly. Moving the mouse back to a land base seemed to stop it from occurring SOMETIMES.

Michael

Post #: 24
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 7:02:52 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Question:

Yes. I presume it's because my graphics card or built-in chipset is slow.

Post #: 25
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 7:03:21 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Correct.
It is caused by using full screen px,py when the using the '-w' switch at the same time. Remove the '-w' and it works properly

I'm playing in windowed mode and I see that too.

Post #: 26
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 8:17:43 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

Correct.

I'm playing in windowed mode and I see that too.

The problem is a conflict within how animations are shown between 'full screen' and 'window' mode, where both are using the same resolution.
There is a switch '-noFire' that can be added to the command line to stop the animation so you don't get sea-sick watching the bouncing screen.

I haven't had time to come up with a permanent fix, but I expect one will show up in the future.

Michael

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 27
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 4:20:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The problem is a conflict within how animations are shown between 'full screen' and 'window' mode, where both are using the same resolution.
There is a switch '-noFire' that can be added to the command line to stop the animation so you don't get sea-sick watching the bouncing screen.

I haven't had time to come up with a permanent fix, but I expect one will show up in the future.

That's good enough for me, I don't care about animations.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I also get crashes while giving orders since Patch 3 Official. Despite around a dozen or more, I can't pin down any specific actions or sequence of actions. I have the feeling that its graphics related for the following reason. As I enter orders, there are times when I click on something and it doesn't register. It looks as if the click is instead consumed by bringing focus back to AE. Although, the window banner at the top of AE had not grayed out as is the case when you fully switch focus to another application.

I should mention that I have all sounds down to 0 and I have the sound folder renamed to "nosound".

As far as crashes during the replay, none in recently weeks. Back in January I had a couple or three but they were clearly related to pressing escape (maybe more than once) during surface battles that had lots of action. Being careful about doing so now, I never have crashes during animations.

Post #: 28
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/20/2010 5:04:10 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

That's good enough for me, I don't care about animations.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I also get crashes while giving orders since Patch 3 Official. Despite around a dozen or more, I can't pin down any specific actions or sequence of actions. I have the feeling that its graphics related for the following reason. As I enter orders, there are times when I click on something and it doesn't register. It looks as if the click is instead consumed by bringing focus back to AE. Although, the window banner at the top of AE had not grayed out as is the case when you fully switch focus to another application.

I should mention that I have all sounds down to 0 and I have the sound folder renamed to "nosound".

As far as crashes during the replay, none in recently weeks. Back in January I had a couple or three but they were clearly related to pressing escape (maybe more than once) during surface battles that had lots of action. Being careful about doing so now, I never have crashes during animations.

I have the locup/crash problem during order input too, but it seems to be only in windowed mode. I do have sounds on but music is at 0. I have given up using windowed mode and only use full screen now and I haven't seen a lock up yet. Like witpqs says, I would click on a button and I would not get the sound of the click nor would anything happen. The WitP window would then go white and I would get the Windows error screen. I have never had a crash during turn execution.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 29
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 1:16:37 AM   
michaelm75au

I have noticed some funny things during debugging when music is 0, but I thought that was just with debugging as no one else was having any issues.
I now always run with music set to '1' and I don't experience my problems anymore.

Maybe you might want to try that.

Michael

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Patch 3 crash Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI