Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Pre-release psychology"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> "Pre-release psychology" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:27:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

I wanted to chime in on a few points here, because I've seen how pre-release periods can be and I know that sitting on the outside looking in, it's easy for both positive and negative observations to get blown out of proportion.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that the product launch does not represent the end of development. It is rather another kind of beginning. For months we've been testing and discussing among ourselves, now you all get to play and give us your feedback too!

The game is stable and bug-free as far as we can tell, but there are only a few of us and many of you, so without a doubt bugs will be found _and_ fixed. Some will be specific to certain methods of play, others specific to certain systems or software configurations that we could not test. Either way, we'll listen, investigate and fix.

We think the design works well and that the game is great, but this is also the first release and there's plenty of room for it to grow and improve. Design choices will come up against many different playstyles and some will no doubt be reconsidered and adjustments made.

We (Matrix and CodeForce) have been working together on Distant Worlds for quite a while, I believe it's over two years now, and we're very excited with the results. We are committed to supporting this release with updates and, with any luck, expanding on it with future releases.

So when you start playing Distant Worlds and consider whether or not we want to hear from you or will consider your feedback, realize that we also look at this as a beginning rather than the end.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:35:22 PM   
Wade1000

I understand. It sounds good. Thanks.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/24/2010 5:38:20 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:36:08 PM   
lordxorn

Well said Erik. I know I may have been on the "I pay to play betas" war drumming, I give you Matrix props for the way you do business and apreciate the updates and your candor.

I will certainly be a supporter not only with my gaming dollars but also a loud advertising mouth piece for DW if it warrants it post release, and I have no doubt it will deserve it.

Post #: 3
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:37:54 PM   
Greyhunterlp

The two worst times to be on a forum are just Pre and Post release.

Pre-release is everyone going "Whens it out" and looking for any titbit of information.

Post is the real bad one though, when people come storming in, nerdraging that its not their perfect game, and that it/the dev/the publishers sucks.
Someone will, at some point demand their money back. this always amuses me, you don't see anyone go to the cinima and then demand their money back after watching a film they did not enjoy. (well, I did once, but that ended with him being arrested.)
Then people who had unrealistic expectations will move on to the next game, and the decent people can emerge once more.

I feel for you, I've seen this on dozens of forums and dozens of games.
Myself, I'm waiting with baited breath, but I'm an adult and a realist. And I have many other games to play while waiting for any bugs to be hunted down.

Post #: 4
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:38:03 PM   
Tyranicus

Im glad to hear it. I feel games like this get more specialized attention because its not mainstream but is still well known to gain a "cult following".

Post #: 5
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:43:45 PM   
Justascratch

Erik,

You are a steely-eyed missile man!

(in reply to Tyranicus)
Post #: 6
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 5:51:14 PM   
Darthcaboose

I'm a computer programmer and I know to expect any sort of code to work perfectly for everyone the first time around is to laugh at the face of basic probability and the Law of Large Numbers; the stuff which no doubt'll bite someone in the end.

Sure you can spend months debugging and optimizing for different types of computer systems, but there's little that can't be solved with a good ol' patch.

And I'm a huge proponent of companies that keep their products updated with regular patches (even if they're substantial content ones, a la Valve titles like Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead 2); it not only keeps the pirates relatively at bay, but it keeps the community interested. Now with a single-player game like Distant Worlds, it sounds like 95% of all the future patches will be bug fixes with a bit extra for balancing things out or maybe implementing some kind of mod interface of sorts.

Regardless, as long as Matrix Games & Code Force don't abandon the game (which they won't, judging by the past success Matrix Games has with maintaining their games) and leave cries out for bug fixes to the side, all should be well!

(in reply to Tyranicus)
Post #: 7
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 6:03:48 PM   
wesy

I work for a very large software company, but primarily focus on startups. The mantra I hear from angels, incubaters etc..."release quickly and iterate" - look forward to spending time with the game. Props to Matrix for providing a wide array of choices in the rather small genre within the PC gaming ecosystem.

(in reply to Darthcaboose)
Post #: 8
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 6:40:42 PM   
Epsilon

I don't understand this announcement. We shouldn't judge too hard on the release, yet theres no mention in that announcement when the release will even be out.
Did it go to gold today? - there's no mention in your announcement.
You mention the product launch doesn't mean the end of the line for the product, yet the product hasn't "launched" and so it's hard to figure out what and when you're talking about, this only becomes more confusing when you say "now you all get to play and give us feedback too!" now? but it's still not released?

For people only just arriving on the forums, and reading this without having been active forum goers in the past weeks, might assume the game was already out.

Sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but I find unclear, as in lacking dates and times, announcements like this irritating.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 9
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 6:55:47 PM   
Sarissofoi

Seconded Epsilon a man who speak the TRUTH.
Fear the TRUTH.
Fear the mighty Epsilon!

Fear the Cpt. Obvius!

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 10
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:01:33 PM   
csebal

I'm kinda wondering: whats the point of this thread?

Are you annoyed by all those "WHEN?" threads? Do you fear there will be too many "IT SU*KS" threads?

Its titled "Pre-release psychology", yet all I see here is random thoughts about how software development is a difficult business (yes it is), how you plan on supporting the game once it is released (glad to hear it) and how we shouldnt be upset when the game is full of bugs on release (We will be regardless of what you say). Where is the psychology part in your post?

Actually, if you really want to talk about psychology, then it we could start by discussing the psychological reasons behind this whole thread and how it relates to the behavior commonly observed around game launches (which is not at all unique to this forum, or this game).

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 11
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:09:34 PM   
Wade1000

I think it's just a sort of thread to say welcome to Distant Worlds which is about to be released in good working order and assurances that they will continue to listen to our advice and refine the game.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to csebal)
Post #: 12
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:14:26 PM   
theonlystd

can we play yet?!?!?!?!?

Post #: 13
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:15:45 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: csebal

I'm kinda wondering: whats the point of this thread?

Are you annoyed by all those "WHEN?" threads? Do you fear there will be too many "IT SU*KS" threads?

Its titled "Pre-release psychology", yet all I see here is random thoughts about how software development is a difficult business (yes it is), how you plan on supporting the game once it is released (glad to hear it) and how we shouldnt be upset when the game is full of bugs on release (We will be regardless of what you say). Where is the psychology part in your post?

Actually, if you really want to talk about psychology, then it we could start by discussing the psychological reasons behind this whole thread and how it relates to the behavior commonly observed around game launches (which is not at all unique to this forum, or this game).

You're making friends already we see...

(in reply to csebal)
Post #: 14
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:20:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Pretty much the usual mix of replies. If you are wondering why this thread exists, then it is not meant for you. There are many folks who develop doubts before release because they don't know what to expect from the pre or post-release process. That's who this thread was aimed at and I posted it because I saw an increase in such doubts in the last few days, which is pretty typical for a pre-release period (hence the title).

As far as why post it now, well the game just went gold and this announcement preceded that one by only a short time.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 15
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:22:18 PM   
Gertjan

Funny to see that this post whas inspired by my reply earlier today in a different topic (at least I think so as Erik responded to it in similar fashion) when I also discussed the psychology of before and after release. I promise to stay decent (unless it is really bad, but I dont expect that for sure)

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 16
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:39:18 PM   
morbug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

I don't understand this announcement. We shouldn't judge too hard on the release, yet theres no mention in that announcement when the release will even be out.
Did it go to gold today? - there's no mention in your announcement.
You mention the product launch doesn't mean the end of the line for the product, yet the product hasn't "launched" and so it's hard to figure out what and when you're talking about, this only becomes more confusing when you say "now you all get to play and give us feedback too!" now? but it's still not released?

For people only just arriving on the forums, and reading this without having been active forum goers in the past weeks, might assume the game was already out.

Sorry if this comes across the wrong way, but I find unclear, as in lacking dates and times, announcements like this irritating.

??

Erik has said repeatedly that the game probably will be released the 25th. If it isn't, then I'm sure there's a reason for it and that it will be released the day after tomorrow instead (or whenever it's ready).

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 17
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:40:08 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
As far as why post it now, well the game just went gold and this announcement preceded that one by only a short time.

Yes! Good news! Now we can have the Post Release Stress Disorder thread!

Erik you need to add a smiley icon for the forum that runs around in circles with it's hands in the air. Thanks.

< Message edited by mbar -- 3/24/2010 7:41:00 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 7:43:37 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Funny to see that this post whas inspired by my reply earlier today in a different topic (at least I think so as Erik responded to it in similar fashion) when I also discussed the psychology of before and after release. I promise to stay decent (unless it is really bad, but I dont expect that for sure)

Heh. Yeah, "Pre-release psychology" was first mentioned here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2411004 ('Combat Video Released for Distant Worlds')

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 19
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 8:03:53 PM   
wodin

moan moan and more moan....just wait for the game and play the damn thing...remember though..its just a game...

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 20
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 8:55:59 PM   
drillerman

Chill out man, it's only a game!

Huh?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 9:00:27 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Pretty much the usual mix of replies. If you are wondering why this thread exists, then it is not meant for you. There are many folks who develop doubts before release because they don't know what to expect from the pre or post-release process. That's who this thread was aimed at and I posted it because I saw an increase in such doubts in the last few days, which is pretty typical for a pre-release period (hence the title).

Personally, I'll form an opinion if I think it's 'worth a try' pre-release, but reserve my judgement of the game itself until after I have played it. There are many, many games out there that never even make it to the 'worth a try' point; a game really has to stand out in in previews to get me to commit to trying it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 22
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 10:21:38 PM   
Gargantou

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

moan moan and more moan....just wait for the game and play the damn thing...remember though..its just a game...

And here I was thinking it was a simulation with 'real people' hooked up to it like the Matrix and stuff! Boy was I off!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 23
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 11:25:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

One more quick bit of advice for those of you that are more turn-based in your preference - start playing on 0.5x or even 0.25x speed. I think you'll find things move at a slow enough pace that you have plenty of time to look around. Remember to pause when you need to and set up your options early on for automation and auto-pause to exactly how you want them. I think you'll find those steps will help you get up to speed and enjoy the game more.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 24
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 11:37:24 PM   
Darthcaboose

quote:

One more quick bit of advice for those of you that are more turn-based in your preference - start playing on 0.5x or even 0.25x speed. I think you'll find things move at a slow enough pace that you have plenty of time to look around. Remember to pause when you need to and set up your options early on for automation and auto-pause to exactly how you want them. I think you'll find those steps will help you get up to speed and enjoy the game more.

Wait wait... You didn't post that just to preempt the post-release psychology issues related to the "This game sucks" mentality, did you?

Relax! Don't worry too much about it! At this point, it's for the best to wait and hear about what we the gamers (and customers), will feel about Distant Worlds when it comes out. For my part, at least, I'll post any odd artifacts of the game that I would've noticed through my attempts at having fun with this great looking game!

If Distant Worlds comes out to be as fantastic and impressive as I think it will be, then the community and the rest of the gaming world as a whole will take notice. As DW is compared to the MoO3 that never was and the true 4x game that Sins Of a Solar Empire was too light on, it will get some sort of good exposure at some point.

To use an example that most here would cringe at, Sins of a Solar Empire was not heavily marketed and predominantly started as an online-only venture. Though they did expand to the brick-and-mortar retail market, the game did very well thanks to its excellent reviews. In a similar vein, if DW comes out to be as polished and in-depth as I think it looks from all the videos, screenshots and AARs, then it'll be on the top of the charts!

Post #: 25
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/24/2010 11:38:08 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

And here I was thinking it was a simulation with 'real people' hooked up to it like the Matrix and stuff! Boy was I off!

who said it isnt....Im a firm believer that Matrix called themselves Matrix for a reason...

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 26
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/25/2010 12:01:10 AM   
JosEPhII

quote:

Glad you posted this Erik!

This is a vital tidbit for a long time TBS'er. Thank you.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

Post #: 27
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/25/2010 12:27:00 AM   
lancer

Goodaye Eric,

You need to sign up for the Middle-East peace talks. You'd do well.

You mentioned that Matrix and Codeforce have been collaborating on DW for quite a while. Are you able to mention something about Codeforce?

Eg.
I take it that this is their first game?
Have they developed other software previously?
Is Codeforce Elliot plus contractors?

I realise that answering the above may prejudice other people's thinking but it shouldn't as in gaming, like many other fields of endeavour, the really innovative breathrough efforts rarely come from the big established players. It's the small, hungry, non-mainstream, outfits that often break the mould.

Either way it would be nice to have some background on the company/man behind the game.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 28
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/25/2010 8:42:46 AM   
wodin

I found setting the right auto pause functions on Achtung Panzer really helped me with the realtime aspect...there was alot of options on when to pause aswell.

Shame Matrix Games declined to publish Achtung Panzer....bad move I reckon...letting it go to Paradox..

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 29
RE: "Pre-release psychology" - 3/25/2010 10:38:00 AM   
martok

quote:

Heh. As a long-time TBS player, I was going to go with the slowest speed anyway. Some of us are just pokey....

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> "Pre-release psychology" Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI