Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 6/19/2002 2:35:56 AM   
troopie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Briggs
[B]Troopie,

Wasn't there a movie based on "The Fencing Master"? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think it was called, "By the Sword." It was in and out of the bioscopes so fast that I never got a chance to see it.

troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 31
- 6/21/2002 7:16:15 PM   
Muzrub

Just bought Antony Beevor's "Berlin"- just finished Alan Clark's "The fall of crete".....

But after Beevors book I might have a change- The last horror book I read was "I am Legend" and I was wondering if anyone knew of another classic or a new Horror book that would get the goose pimples going (Does anyone know of any Zombie books?- based on George Romero classic Zombie type).

Thanks guys
Muzrub!

:)

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 32
Currently Reading - 6/24/2002 12:05:43 PM   
New York Jets

I am presently reading "The Secret War Against The Jews" by John Loftus and Mike Aarons. It's a chronicle collected from interviews with espionage operatives from all the world over the last 60 or so years and tells of the betrayal of America, its foreign policy and our "support" for Israel by the likes of The Dulles', The Rockefellers, and other Oil Barons in the name of money. Small things like selling oil to Nazi Germany all throughout WWII and extorting money from the US by threateneing to cut off Arabian oil if the US Govcernment did not dance to their tune. Furtrher, how we have allowed ourselves to become tools of the Saudis and their interests in the name of oil. That's just a brief outline as I have not yet completed the reading.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 33
- 6/28/2002 12:53:23 AM   
fud

Oh, I love these kind of threads - always pick up a couple of new titles in them.

As far as history goes, I recently finished "The Rising Sun" by John Toland . Wish I'd read it years ago - an excellent insight into the war with Japan. (I can see why it won the Pulitzer.)

I also recently finished the first volume of the new Hitler biography - Hubris - and started on the second volume - Nemesis. I can't remember the author right now, but it's a good read.

I just read a divisional history of the Totenkopft division called "Soldiers of Destruction" - interesting, but it won't win any awards.

I read a great book on the Spanish Armada by Garret Mattingly called "The Armada" - fascinating.
And I've been reading all the great first-person accounts of Russian soldiers that I found here:http://www.battlefield.ru/index.html

Non-history, I just finished a couple of crime novels by Jim Thompson - creepy stuff - and I'm bouncing between "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" - kinda geeky, but it helps with my job and I find the math puzzles strangely soothing at times.

(I know I can't spell....)

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 34
- 6/28/2002 4:58:43 AM   
Mojo

fud,

;) The reason I started this thread was to ferret out good books to read. My reading list is huge.

That website is great. I stumbled across it a couple of months ago. I was looking for pictures of killed tanks or something. The first hand stories are amazing.

If you're reading "Multiple Regression - testing and interpretting interactions" and "Models for Discrete Data" and can understand them, (obviously you can) then you don't need to worry about spelling.

:D
I'm still struggling with "James can mow a acre of grass in 3 hours, Molly the cow can eat a bushel or corn in 20 minutes, how long will it take for the train to get to Dallas" problems.

The answer of course is "Who cares, I'll fly"

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 35
- 6/29/2002 9:32:00 PM   
fud

Hey Mojo,

Thanks for the reply - you made me grin. I think the more you 'understand' that stuff the more you realize that it really can be pretty silly. I mean, there is not much more abstract than a number/statistic/equation!

Thanks for starting the thread - I'll be keeping an eye out for more things to add to my reading list.

fud

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 36
- 7/5/2002 9:18:22 AM   
OberstCrow

Lots of interesting titles to look forward to. I have just finished reading Clancy's "Shadow Warriors" and Harold Coyle's "Against All Enemies".

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 37
- 7/8/2002 9:16:18 PM   
Jim1954

Be sure to catch "Infantry Aces" by Franz Kurowski. I can't seem to finish a chapter without the urge to fire up Lost Victories again. He has another out called "Panzer Aces" but I haven't read that one yet. These books are written at the extreme tactical level with accounts of various Knight's Cross winners from Poland to late war. Very, very detailed.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 38
- 7/11/2002 8:58:45 PM   
Jacko

Hell's Gate by Douglas E. Nash, a great account about the battle of Cherkassy, February 1944 at the Eastern Front. One of the best books on this subject I've ever read. I can recommend it to everyone.
It Never Snows In September by Robert J. Kershaw. Operation Market Garden from the German point of view. Arnhem-Nijmegen, it even beats A Bridge Too Far from Cornelias Ryan. Another great book which I can heartily recommend.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 39
- 7/11/2002 9:18:17 PM   
Hades

I just finished rereading Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. I love that book.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 40
- 7/13/2002 4:15:44 AM   
Slogan

I am currently reading Masters of War: CLassical Strategic Thought by Michael Handel, which compares and contrasts Sun Tzu and Clausewitz.

Note to Mojo and Oggidoggi: if you liked Sacks' book try also Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain by Antonio R. Damasio. He is a clincal pschycologist has had some patients with the types of disorders that Sacks writes about. Volume one is still in print but I was unable to get a copy of Volume two.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 41
- 7/13/2002 5:15:30 AM   
Code Talker

I'm currently reading [U]Blackhawk Down[/U], Charles MacDonald's [U]A Time for Trumpets[/U], which is just an incredible work on the Battle of the Bulge, and for my Vietnam fix I have my nose buried in Keith W. Nolan's [U]Into Cambodia[/U].

[COLOR=red]BOOMER SOONER!!![/COLOR]

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 42
- 7/14/2002 4:02:51 AM   
Nemesis

I'm currently reading "Haukka, minun rakkaani", a finnish book by Kaari Utrio. The book is not translated, but the translated title would be something like "Falcon, my beloved". It's set in the ancient Finland. At first I thought it was a "chick-book", but my girlfriend persuaded me to read it. And it's a really good book!

oderint dum metuant

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 43
- 7/14/2002 5:04:21 AM   
Mojo

Thanks for the tip Slogan. I'll look for it:)

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 44
- 7/14/2002 5:32:07 AM   
Tankhead

Cool tread :D

I have just finish reading The Fall of Saigon by David Butler and currently reading Into The Storm A Study In Command by Tom Clancy with General Fred Franks, Jr. (Ret)

Good way to get some new books from this tread.

Thanks guys ;)

Tankhead

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 45
- 7/14/2002 5:43:23 AM   
davewolf

Just started reading "Vineland" by Thomas Pynchon.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 46
- 7/14/2002 10:18:28 AM   
WarBuddy

Right now, I'm reading two books.

One is "The War in the Pacific", by John Costello. Its a one volume account of the entire Pacific war. (Huge book of course)

The other is "Alexander The Great and His Time", by Agnes Savill. I have come to realise that Alexander The Great was the greatest tactician, leader, and had the most powerful of personalities to have ever lived. This is an exellent account of his life. Pick it up, a must have!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 47
- 7/14/2002 10:32:38 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WarBuddy
[B]Right now, I'm reading two books.

One is "The War in the Pacific", by John Costello. Its a one volume account of the entire Pacific war. (Huge book of course)

The other is "Alexander The Great and His Time", by Agnes Savill. I have come to realise that Alexander The Great was the greatest tactician, leader, and had the most powerful of personalities to have ever lived. This is an exellent account of his life. Pick it up, a must have! [/B][/QUOTE]

I recently picked up Costello's book too and am about a third of the way through it as well as Bergerud's "Fire in the Sky".

Both of which were recommended earlier in this thread I think and both excellant. Thanks guys:D

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 48
- 7/14/2002 5:31:57 PM   
okke

I've just finished:

'Een andere kijk op de slag om Arnhem - De snelle Duitse reactie" (A different view on the battle for Arnhem - The swift German reaction) by Peter Berends
and:
"De gans is gevlogen" (A translation of The Grey Goose of Arnhem) by Leo Heaps

Currently I'm reading:

"Arnhem" by R.E. Urquhart
and:
"Grijs verleden" (The grey past) by Chris van der Heijden

Okke de Groote
Close Combat links collector

G·o·D's CC links

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 49
- 7/18/2002 2:41:57 PM   
msaario

Reading, browsing, depending on how much time I've got...

1) IJN Aces 1937-45, Henry Sakaida, Osprey #22
2) Meine Flugberichte 1935-1945, J Kaufmann
3) Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units in WW2, Hata/Izawa
4) Caesar, T.A. Dodge
5) My daily newspaper

--Mikko

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 50
- 8/2/2002 2:36:36 AM   
Beatposse

I just finished [FONT=arial]Koba the Dread: Laughter and the Twenty Million[/FONT] by Martin Amis. If you want a good intro to Stalin and how he happened, it is a great book. If you already know a lot about him I doubt you would find it very interesting.
Several months ago I read [FONT=arial]The Gulag Archipelago[/FONT] by Solzhenitsyn. This book makes my skin crawl. Every sentence makes me love the freedoms we have in America more and more. You have no idea how bad living in Russia was until you read this book.
Right now I am reading Shirer's [FONT=arial]Rise and Fall of the Third Reich[/FONT]. It is a classic, but I haven't read enough to say anything about it.
I love the Finnish troops , the Sissi (snow ninjas), and playing as the Finns in ASL and SP:WAW. I have wanted to read about these fighting men for several years, but have not been able to find an english language book about them. Can any of you guys out there suggest one? Particularly one about Suomussalmi?

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 51
- 8/2/2002 6:44:20 PM   
Mad Cow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fud
[B]

I also recently finished the first volume of the new Hitler biography - Hubris - and started on the second volume - Nemesis. I can't remember the author right now, but it's a good read.[/quote]

Ian Kershaw...

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 52
- 8/3/2002 5:46:43 AM   
AFIntel

Silent Victory: The U.S. Submarine War Against Japan by Clay Blair, Jr. (the '76 edition). I picked it up from a Public Library book sale for 50 cents:)

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 53
- 8/3/2002 6:17:29 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep that's where most of my library treasures come from, sources that were just giving it away in the end.

So many of my fav books cost me less than a dollar.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 54
- 8/3/2002 4:04:26 PM   
Bernard

Finished "Le livre noir du communisme : 100 Millions de morts"
Boring in the end but half the book is on russian communism : crazy to read how they destoyed everything and everybody, organized starvation, etc.
also a book on Churchill (forgot the author - a french i think"
right now on "the blue nowhere" by J.Deaver (serial killers), Baudloino (umberto Ecco - action takes place in Byzance 1200) and the Piano (autobiography of a jew in Warsaw 1940-1945.
All good.
Finished the shark mutiny by Robins - not worth 1 cent.

Ben

Verzage ni

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 55
- 8/18/2002 5:15:45 PM   
Kraut

My favorite author is Harry Turtledove. His speciality is Alternate History, but he also writes Fantasy.

A real classic is "Guns of the South"; white supremacists from South Africa use a time machine to supply General Lee with AK-47.
The South then wins the war, but that is just beginning of much more interesting developments.

I especially like the "World War" series. During World War II aliens invade earth, the former enemies are forced into an uneasy alliance. Turtledove makes the most of this scenario, a host of viewpoint characters, some fictional, some historical gives the story a gripping, personal feel.

There also is a sequel series, "Colonization", where aliens and humans have worked out a very unstable equilibrium, at leat at the beginning. Also highly recommended.

In the "Great War" series the South has again won the Civil War, this time without any Science Fiction trappings. As a consequence,
there is "Second American Civil War", in which the South again preserves its independence. The North later enters World War I on the side of the Axis powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary and Turkey) the south on that of the Entente (Great Britain, France and Russia).
This series is due to its subject matter very bloody, you may feel a little shell-shocked after reading it.

Right now I'm reading his "Darkness" series. It is a kind of World War II set on another planet where magic works. Her he mixes
Alternate History with Fantasy. Sounds a little strange, but it works very well.

Here's Turtledove's website:
http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/turtledove.html

I'd like to add that I'm in no way associated with Harry Turtledove (or his agent). ;)
I just like his books.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 56
- 8/18/2002 7:25:14 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Jerry Pournelle (spelling approx.) has a series I have in paperback (not new, got em in the late 80's), called There Will Be War.

This is considered required reading by me for all that would assume they have seen it all.

It's anthologies of military slanted sci fi. Interspersed throughout though, is chapters devoted to actual science.

Each book was dedicated to military fiction with a basic theme. The first was more or less terrestrial. But the series goes on to explore planetary space ie earth moon, and then inter solar, and then onwards from there.
Think I have like 9 novels of specifically geared themes.
That and I have some alternate timeline variations on the original series.

All told, I have never once while scanning major book retailers, found a series even able to come close to equalling this one.
It features some of the biggest names in the best of writings from the past.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 57
- 8/18/2002 7:35:58 PM   
Kraut

Hello Les,

your spelling of Pournelle is correct.
He has another series going, based on his Sparta series of books.
The series is called War World, to which a lot of science fiction authors have contributed. I'm not sure if this series is finished or if there are going to be more installments.

By the way, Pournelle has been and still is a columnist for Byte for many years.
Besides his solo sf he has written many books in collaboration with Larry Niven.

Here's the link to his web site:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/

Regards

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 58
- 8/19/2002 2:03:19 AM   
ananias

I´ve been reading "Hitch-hikers guide to galaxy" by D. Adams and just finished reading "Gorinsho" by Miyamoto Mushashi.

I´m about to start reading Sun Tsu´s "Art of War" (again).

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 59
- 8/19/2002 2:49:17 AM   
fontenoy

I am currently reading"No End Save Victory" an anthology of writers who contribute to Military History Quarterly.It offers a lot of viewpoints on WW2 that I haven't seen in print before.

By the way does anyone remember a series of novels,printed in the 70's(When I read them)about an SS Panzer Regt.I believe the gentleman who wrote them was named Leo Kessler.Very enjoyable.Does anyone know where I might find them?Thank you.
Regards,
Fontenoy.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI