Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: FInal words

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: FInal words Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: FInal words - 3/25/2010 11:20:07 PM   
GreasyLake

A short note for now, just got home from work and out of curiosity read the last couple of Tim's post. Will put up some more tomorrow as time allows.

I believe the reason for the low supply in China is again the lack of oil (although there was over 30K at my northern land stack base). Oil from Palembang et-al has been cut off for what?, a year. I think that was one of the best moves Tim made, going for DEI once route to Australia was cleared. Closing off by air from Malay peninsula really hurt also.

I never felt even close to taking Ohka. Could of done it in the first few weeks if I had landed the 4 Div embarked as originally planned (what was that about one focal point for attack?) Someone forgot about extra disruption caused by landing in the middle of winter in the arctic. (first winter on the Russian front in WWII anyone?) It really opened my eyes up to why Tim was not able to take every base he landed at on the first day. Even overwhelming force must need some time to re-organize.

Hong Kong and Canton had been cut-off from supply as soon as the oil stopped also. Have to go back for the dates. Air was interrupting supply runs there way back. It surprised me that Tim's units (just N of Canton) were in as bad of shape as mine. Rags of men fighting others rags as in the trenches of France.

Was not ready for or expecting any kind of landing on the Korean peninsula. It just makes sense now that I know about it. I was always expecting an invasion of the main islands once Iwo was secure and my air seemed neutered.

I think I had the base SW of Ohka garrisoned well but have not looked lately. The Island with Sapporo I felt somewhat secure about also but may have to spend some time checking the map to get my facts straight.

One last comment on kamikazes. The only time I think I really used them was from the southern Philippines Borneo area. Used in conjunction with LBA seemed to help. Helens and whatever the other 2E bomber was called helped bag Lex II if I remember correctly. Of course a lot of them just hit LST's also.

Will check the map and see if I can fill in some info for Tim tomorrow. Might not make me look like the brightest bulb in the bunch but would love to add to his most excellent AAR. (I really like how he explained the surface action at Oki, made sense out of the game engine's resolving the action for me.)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1051
RE: FInal words - 3/26/2010 10:55:42 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreasyLake

A short note for now, just got home from work and out of curiosity read the last couple of Tim's post. Will put up some more tomorrow as time allows.

I believe the reason for the low supply in China is again the lack of oil (although there was over 30K at my northern land stack base). Oil from Palembang et-al has been cut off for what?, a year. I think that was one of the best moves Tim made, going for DEI once route to Australia was cleared. Closing off by air from Malay peninsula really hurt also.

I guess I thought the free supply resource centers provided would be enough to keep things going.

quote:

I never felt even close to taking Ohka. Could of done it in the first few weeks if I had landed the 4 Div embarked as originally planned (what was that about one focal point for attack?) Someone forgot about extra disruption caused by landing in the middle of winter in the arctic. (first winter on the Russian front in WWII anyone?) It really opened my eyes up to why Tim was not able to take every base he landed at on the first day. Even overwhelming force must need some time to re-organize.

The retaking of the areas Larry took was so much harder than when he took them. In 1941 and early 1942, I had paper units with little supply in defense. Hitting well fortified bases with even moderate AV was a tough challenge. That is why I bypassed the Marianas. Not so much that I thought I couldn't take them but instead because of the time it would take

quote:

Hong Kong and Canton had been cut-off from supply as soon as the oil stopped also. Have to go back for the dates. Air was interrupting supply runs there way back. It surprised me that Tim's units (just N of Canton) were in as bad of shape as mine. Rags of men fighting others rags as in the trenches of France.

Was not ready for or expecting any kind of landing on the Korean peninsula. It just makes sense now that I know about it. I was always expecting an invasion of the main islands once Iwo was secure and my air seemed neutered.

I think I had the base SW of Ohka garrisoned well but have not looked lately. The Island with Sapporo I felt somewhat secure about also but may have to spend some time checking the map to get my facts straight.

Not sure but I think a three or four divison strong effort could have cleared Shokuku and the bottom base just had BF's IIRC

quote:

One last comment on kamikazes. The only time I think I really used them was from the southern Philippines Borneo area. Used in conjunction with LBA seemed to help. Helens and whatever the other 2E bomber was called helped bag Lex II if I remember correctly. Of course a lot of them just hit LST's also.

Will check the map and see if I can fill in some info for Tim tomorrow. Might not make me look like the brightest bulb in the bunch but would love to add to his most excellent AAR. (I really like how he explained the surface action at Oki, made sense out of the game engine's resolving the action for me.)

Target selection not the Kamikaze's strong point although the seemed to be very fond of CVE's any time they were left alone. I was more bothered that Pakhoi triggered the arrival. I think bases in China should not count towarsd the activation. Then again if we played a few more weeks and the 400K of supplly arrived at Pakhoi, I may be singing a different song

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 1052
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: FInal words Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI