Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question-Resources

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question-Resources Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 12:13:02 AM   
theonlystd

I have some confusion regarding them.. I thought they worked like Civ 4's.

But i seem to have amounts of em. Hows this work? Do planets produce so many a year and thats dependent on the % ? .

When i build stuff do i use part of that "amount" of minerals.. Or is abstracted in some way?

I checked the manual and couldnt see any clear clarification of this .

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 12:24:55 AM   
elliotg

You do extract specific units of resources when mining, and the rate depends on the prevalence at the planet/moon/asteroid (the %)

These resources are then automatically transported to wherever they are needed by your freighters in the private economy of your empire. This usually means sending them to your nearest space port.

At your space port the resources are used to build new ships or sent off to your colonies to develop them to higher levels.

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 2
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 12:34:29 AM   
theonlystd

Ah thanks

Well that is very nice

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 3
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 12:43:17 AM   
tgb

Let me make sure I understand how to mine resources (I've only played the basic tutorial):

Construction ships controlled by the State can be sent somewhere (say a Gas Giant) to build a Mining Station. That Mining Station then becomes part of the Private sector, mining resources which are transported by Private Freighters to a Star Base (controlled by the State) for storage.

Have I got that right?

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 4
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 1:02:39 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb
Let me make sure I understand how to mine resources (I've only played the basic tutorial):

Construction ships controlled by the State can be sent somewhere (say a Gas Giant) to build a Mining Station. That Mining Station then becomes part of the Private sector, mining resources which are transported by Private Freighters to a Star Base (controlled by the State) for storage.

Have I got that right?

That's right. There's also mobile mining ships controlled by the private sector that mine resource and return them to your space ports. But this all happens automatically.

Your input to resource-gathering is to build mining stations with your construction ships. Check out the Expansion Planner screen to help with this (/ key).

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 5
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 7:25:40 AM   
Darthcaboose

Absolutely love the whole State/Private system. Wish there were more ways to interact between them (things like inflation, creation of a Galactic Reserve to control inflation or "print" money to provide quick funding at the cost of growth, providing subsidies to encourage the Private Sector to go after mining certain resources).

Few questions:

1. When looking at the Expansion Planner, you can see how many of a resource you have stockpiled, but what determines the "Resources Demanded"? Is it based on all the ship designs you have available or is it an indicator of the exact ships your empire is currently building? I'm guessing that luxury resource demand is based on where it can best benefit your colonies development rate.

2. If you colonize a planet with resources, I'm assuming that you do not need to build a mining station on that planet to mine those resources (i.e. your population does that for you). I know, it's a really obvious question, but the option to build mining bases at colonized planets does appear when you have a Constructor selected.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 6
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 8:12:49 AM   
lancer

Goodaye,

Could I add a couple of resource related questions to the thread.

A specific resource has starting amount and abundance percentage, eg. Caslon 622k, 74%

1: I get the amount but how is the abundance percentage calculated? Eg. is, say 1000k, the standard 100% datum point for all resources? This doesn't seem to be the case as some resources have, say, a 64% abundance with a different quantity to another resource with the same 64%.

2: The resource extraction tech's specify, for example, 'extraction 14'. Am I correct that this mines 14 units of the resource per day and this in turn decrements the resource quantity by a similiar amount? How does this affect the abundance percentage?

3: The Galactopedia (great job there by the way) specifies that resources rarely run out and that they top up when depleted. I haven't played enough to see this in action but how does this work as I can't see what the point is of having quantity & abundance stat's for every resource deposit if they are essentially unlimited?

I'd better add that I'm mightily impressed by how the game is presented. The information flow is well designed, does the job (from my limited experience) and is pleasing on the eye.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Darthcaboose)
Post #: 7
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 8:49:34 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darthcaboose
1. When looking at the Expansion Planner, you can see how many of a resource you have stockpiled, but what determines the "Resources Demanded"? Is it based on all the ship designs you have available or is it an indicator of the exact ships your empire is currently building? I'm guessing that luxury resource demand is based on where it can best benefit your colonies development rate.

Resources demanded means the total galaxy-wide demand for that resource (across all empires). Behind the scenes there's a lot of resource ordering going on by space ports and colonies. Space ports try to maintain a decent supply of stuff so that they are ready to build anything you need. Colonies place orders for luxury resources to increase their development level. Freighters automatically fulfill all these orders, transporting resources to where they're needed. So resource demand is a measure of all the outstanding/unfulfilled orders/requests for resources.

quote:

2. If you colonize a planet with resources, I'm assuming that you do not need to build a mining station on that planet to mine those resources (i.e. your population does that for you). I know, it's a really obvious question, but the option to build mining bases at colonized planets does appear when you have a Constructor selected.

Correct - colonies mine resources by themselves.

(in reply to Darthcaboose)
Post #: 8
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 9:00:29 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer
A specific resource has starting amount and abundance percentage, eg. Caslon 622k, 74%

1: I get the amount but how is the abundance percentage calculated? Eg. is, say 1000k, the standard 100% datum point for all resources? This doesn't seem to be the case as some resources have, say, a 64% abundance with a different quantity to another resource with the same 64%.

Amount means how many units are left at the planet. Abundance essentially means how easy is it to extract - higher abundance means faster extraction.

quote:

2: The resource extraction tech's specify, for example, 'extraction 14'. Am I correct that this mines 14 units of the resource per day and this in turn decrements the resource quantity by a similiar amount? How does this affect the abundance percentage?

Yes, but the amount actually extracted is a combination of the mining component tech level and the abundance. So if the abundance was 100% then you would get 14 units per second.

quote:

3: The Galactopedia (great job there by the way) specifies that resources rarely run out and that they top up when depleted. I haven't played enough to see this in action but how does this work as I can't see what the point is of having quantity & abundance stat's for every resource deposit if they are essentially unlimited?

I agree - amount doesn't mean a great deal. In the past resources didn't top-up, but that caused issues with resource shortages, so we changed it. So amount is not especially relevant now.

But abundance affects how fast you extract the resource - so the higher the better.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 9
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 9:17:29 AM   
tgb

Is there a limit to how far the private sector will go to transport a resource? In other words, if I'm mining a luxury at planet A, does that benefit all my colonies, no matter how far away, or only those in the same system or sector?

Similarly, is there a limit to how much a space port will hold? Will one port accomodate an empire of hundreds of colonies?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 10
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 9:18:19 AM   
lancer

Goodaye Elliot,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Starting to make sense now.

One further question.

With a resource that has a low abundance percentage, eg. 20%, can I crank up the volume by throwing multiple mining components at the problem or am I restricted to designing mining stations, etc., with only a single extraction component per type (eg. luxury, mining etc.)?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 11
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 10:41:43 AM   
theonlystd

unrelated to resources.

But is there any way to turn military ships being automated automatically after being built off?.. Its makes it hard to assemble a new fleet since they end up flying off and patrolling something in the boons

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 12
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 11:53:50 AM   
Gertjan

I agree that more galactic economics would be cool. Like defaults of empires that need to be rescued by their neighbours (a la Greece at the moment). Enhanced economic integration by groups of empires like NAFTA/EU etc.

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 13
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 12:16:53 PM   
Wade1000

Resource quantity or Abundance percentage slowly refilling(like a bombarded planet quality).

If I understand the system correctly, maybe this could be an interesting mechanic to enable.

Perhaps you can make the quantity of a resource at a mining site slowly replenish like a bombarded planet does, instead of having the resource quantity reset back to full.

This might help balance late game by giving less advanced empires a chance against empires that have mined much resources. Resources would still be unlimited in game but slowly refill or stay evenas mining continues.

Alternately, maybe each time the quantity gets to zero and resets then the Abundance percentage drops 1 percentage. When the Abundance percentage reaches 0 they slowly refill or stay even as mining continues.

(added to: 'Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list.')

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 14
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 3:54:59 PM   
4xfan

I have a question about resources...

I colonized a new world and began to build a defensive Star Base. My citizens sent transport ships to the new world to get resources like Caslon (which is not a resource on the planet). It turns out the new star base (which isn't finished yet and only 5% done) has a bunch of resources in its cargo already. Where did these come from?

Edit: The cargo may also be considered on the planet, as it seems they share.

< Message edited by 4xfan -- 3/26/2010 4:00:34 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 15
RE: Question-Resources - 3/26/2010 9:38:47 PM   
theonlystd

quote:

ORIGINAL: theonlystd

unrelated to resources.

But is there any way to turn military ships being automated automatically after being built off?.. Its makes it hard to assemble a new fleet since they end up flying off and patrolling something in the boons

Anyone know the answer?

And resupply ships.. How do you use em? Mine doesnt seem to be doign crap for me

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 16
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 2:11:10 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer
With a resource that has a low abundance percentage, eg. 20%, can I crank up the volume by throwing multiple mining components at the problem or am I restricted to designing mining stations, etc., with only a single extraction component per type (eg. luxury, mining etc.)?

Yes, you should be able to put extra mining components into your design and thus get better extraction rates. Good thinking

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 17
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 2:12:34 AM   
elliotg

quote:

IIRC if you manually build the ships by right-clicking at a space port, they will start off unautomated.

Also, you can switch automation on/off for any ship by clicking the far-right column in the Ships and Bases screen (F7). This also applies to ships under construction.

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 18
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 2:14:09 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: 4xfan
I colonized a new world and began to build a defensive Star Base. My citizens sent transport ships to the new world to get resources like Caslon (which is not a resource on the planet). It turns out the new star base (which isn't finished yet and only 5% done) has a bunch of resources in its cargo already. Where did these come from?

A new colony gets a set of free starting resources - enough to get things underway.

quote:

Edit: The cargo may also be considered on the planet, as it seems they share.

Yes, bases at a colony share their cargo storage with the colony itself - they basically have unlimited storage space.

(in reply to 4xfan)
Post #: 19
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 2:17:05 AM   
elliotg

quote:

And resupply ships.. How do you use em? Mine doesnt seem to be doign crap for me

Resupply Ships are useful when you have one or two decent sized fleets and you are in a war with another empire. Resupply Ships will hide out near your enemy's territory and serve as mobile refuelling depots for your fleets. This way your fleets don't have to travel all the way back to your space ports to refuel.

But until you're in a decent-sized war, Resupply Ships are not especially useful. Don't build them until your empire gets to a reasonable size (1-2 good fleets).

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 20
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 2:23:13 AM   
theonlystd

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

Resupply Ships are useful when you have one or two decent sized fleets and you are in a war with another empire. Resupply Ships will hide out near your enemy's territory and serve as mobile refuelling depots for your fleets. This way your fleets don't have to travel all the way back to your space ports to refuel.

But until you're in a decent-sized war, Resupply Ships are not especially useful. Don't build them until your empire gets to a reasonable size (1-2 good fleets).

I guessed that much.

But that doesnt seem to happen.. Do i have to deploy em or some such

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 21
RE: Question-Resources - 3/27/2010 7:51:58 PM   
Gertjan

How many planets / ships in a fleet do you need to have before it is wise to have a resupply ship?

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 22
RE: Question-Resources - 3/28/2010 6:41:06 AM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg
quote:

I guessed that much.

But that doesnt seem to happen.. Do i have to deploy em or some such

If you leave them automated they will automatically deploy to locations where they think they'll be needed - i.e. near your enemy's systems.

If you want to manually direct them, select them and right-click on a fuel source somewhere (gas giant planet, gas cloud) and select 'Deploy'. They take 30 seconds to deploy, and then become a refueling location for your military ships.

(in reply to theonlystd)
Post #: 23
RE: Question-Resources - 3/28/2010 6:43:58 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

How many planets / ships in a fleet do you need to have before it is wise to have a resupply ship?

It's more related to distance than size. If your enemy targets are not nearby then you'll need a resupply ship to refuel your fleets without them having to return to your empire's territory.

So you should have at least one fleet before building one. They're also big and fairly expensive to build and maintain, so your empire's economy needs to be able to handle it.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question-Resources Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI