Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

should i buy this one?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> should i buy this one? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
should i buy this one? - 3/20/2010 4:24:50 PM   
bean5671

i am looking for a light sp war game to play between family/life and WITPAE sessions
I just bought a new machine and are looking for some new games
WIN 7 home
I7 950 3.02
12 GB DDR3 1333
ATI 5770 1 gb

will this game run under win 7 and is it fairly quick turns
I need something for when i only have 30 min to one hour to play and witpAE takes me at least a couple hours per sitting
most of my games are much older SC HOI 1 and 2, HTTR wir pacwar COS SteelPanthers WAW and I am having trouble getting them to run under win 7 with dosbox
i need to update my library i was thinking of this game and Flashpoint, maybe a few others
Post #: 1
RE: should i buy this one? - 3/21/2010 9:43:19 PM   
Texican

I would wait until some confirmation that they have fixed the Mediterranean campaign. You can almost never have a challenging North African campaign. Either the Germans do not move troops down there, or they move them down there for one turn then pull them out.

Basically, as the Western Allies, the North African campaign is a cake walk just as it is in many other strategic-level wargames. I think a very simple fix for this would be to place some substantial victory objectives down in that area. Maybe pump up the values of Tripoli, Cairo, and a couple of other places.

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 2
RE: should i buy this one? - 3/25/2010 3:20:11 AM   
SGT Rice

AWD plays differently depending on where you are in the game, how many players, what rule options you choose, and how competitive you're trying to be.

I prefer two player games (player 1 is Germany & Japan, player 2 is Russia & Western Allies) with advanced supply, FOW, all the options. In 1939 turns take 5 minutes ... prior to the entry of the US & USSR they still only take about 20-30 minutes. But once you're into 1942-43 with all the major powers going full tilt, if you're playing carefully and competitively you can spend 2-3 hours on a turn. Then in 1944-45 the Axis start running out of space & options and the turns get shorter again.

If you're playing only one major power then those times are shorter ... the Western Allies & the Germans tend to take about 2/3 of the playing time for their sides. If you choose auto supply and/or let the computer handle production it will cut playing time quite a bit.

Sorry that I can't advise about Windows 7 ... I have XP.

GG A World Divided Playtester

(in reply to bean5671)
Post #: 3
RE: should i buy this one? - 3/27/2010 9:43:12 AM   
Lucky1

I think this game is one of the best of the strat-level WWII games out there. Too, although it is possible to have turns take as long as described by Sgt. Rice (one of the best players out there), it is also to have them go a LOT faster if you wish. I personally, turn off all animations and, against the comp, turn off watching the computer's moves. Significantly faster gameplay, allowing for a quick fix.

For the $$, I don't think you can go wrong.....

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> should i buy this one? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI