Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Expansion Planner

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Expansion Planner Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 6:38:51 PM   
tgb

Why are some of the colonizable worlds in red?
Post #: 1
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 6:39:48 PM   
Webbco

I think it's because they are owned by another empire

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 6:42:12 PM   
tgb

Or occupied. The only other colonizable world listed in red already had an independent colony established, and I was able to move in. I'll have to check it out.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 3
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 6:42:38 PM   
ASHBERY76

It says in the tool tip if you leave the mouse over it.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 4
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 7:18:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

If I recall correctly, the systems listed in red are located in a system that is already claimed by another empire. You could colonize there, but it would cause an "incident".

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 7:21:46 PM   
tgb

You're right. In this case it was in the same system as a Pirate base.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 8:13:20 PM   
shinobu

Just wondering about something I had happen to me... I was trying to colonize a marshy world in a neutral, unowned system. This world wasn't listed in my "colonizable planets" list in the expansion planner, but I was playing as a human and should have been able to colonize it. However, none of my colony ships would colonize it- they would go there, but would not plant a colony. Anyone speculate why? (I wanted the colony not because it was a great world to colonize, but it was in a "strategic system" between my empire and a potential enemy...)

On that, I'm wondering- there ARE colonizable worlds that are not listed in the colony planner. Why doesn't it list EVERY possible world your species could exist on?

< Message edited by shinobu -- 3/27/2010 8:15:01 PM >

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 7
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 8:55:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

Actually, marshy worlds (think Dagobah) are not suitable for default Human colonization, if I recall correctly. I have not seen the expansion planner miss any worlds that were suitable for colonization, in my experience. One you are able to colonize them, they show up on the list.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 8
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 8:58:34 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: shinobu

Just wondering about something I had happen to me... I was trying to colonize a marshy world in a neutral, unowned system. This world wasn't listed in my "colonizable planets" list in the expansion planner, but I was playing as a human and should have been able to colonize it. However, none of my colony ships would colonize it- they would go there, but would not plant a colony. Anyone speculate why? (I wanted the colony not because it was a great world to colonize, but it was in a "strategic system" between my empire and a potential enemy...)

On that, I'm wondering- there ARE colonizable worlds that are not listed in the colony planner. Why doesn't it list EVERY possible world your species could exist on?

Learn the game first.You can not colonize those unless you have the tech.

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 9
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 10:25:39 PM   
shinobu

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Learn the game first.You can not colonize those unless you have the tech.

If I had "learned the game first" then I wouldn't have the question, would I?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 11:17:47 PM   
shinobu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Actually, marshy worlds (think Dagobah) are not suitable for default Human colonization, if I recall correctly. I have not seen the expansion planner miss any worlds that were suitable for colonization, in my experience. One you are able to colonize them, they show up on the list.

Erik: sorry I wasn't clear on this in my first post, but if I click on my homeworld it is listed as a "marshy swamp planet" as well. Doesn't make sense that I couldn't colonize a world that is the same environment as my homeworld...

< Message edited by shinobu -- 3/27/2010 11:18:09 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 11:42:16 PM   
hadberz

Is the planet already inhabited with independent aliens? Some races hate others so you have to conquer them. Those that are friendly can be colonized.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 12
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/27/2010 11:54:10 PM   
shinobu

No inhabitants. It was not listed at all under "potential colonies". Also, I was able to colonize two other marshy swamp worlds, but not this one. I thought it was maybe something about the star (radiation?) or something I was missing. It's not a big thing- still enjoying the game immensely!

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 13
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 12:21:31 AM   
Webbco

Hadberz, what does the "sort by your empire priority" button do? There's no mention of it in the galactopedia and I thought you just click on the tabs in the "resources" box to sort by the demand or whatever.

Edit: This question is open to anyone who knows, not just Hadberz!

< Message edited by Webbco -- 3/28/2010 12:26:07 AM >

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 14
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 12:35:53 AM   
tgb

I THINK it puts the planets with the resources you have the greatest demand for at the top of the list (not the list of resources, but the list of surveyed worlds). Then you can send a construction ship directly to it.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 15
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 1:12:09 AM   
Webbco

I'm not so sure, when I click it...something happens. Resources in the Resources box *sometimes* move around.

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 16
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:10:05 PM   
Webbco

After playing around with this feature and filtering resources by the tabs, I still don't understand what it does. Can anyone help?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 17
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:33:17 PM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

After playing around with this feature and filtering resources by the tabs, I still don't understand what it does. Can anyone help?

The Expansion planner sorts places you have explored or learned (through diplomatic actions) into a nice list of locations based on what you select like

1) Potential Colonies
2) Resources Needed by your Empire
some others

That then conveniently allows you either

1) Send a Colony, Mining ship to the desired planet.
EDIT* Forgot to mention you can also que the next mining location for your constructor, and build a new colony ship for the colonization. Which is a great feature because both colony and constructors are very expensive to have just sitting around.

It is really a great tool that has helped me find luxury resources/potential colonies in a jiffy, which is Unique to DW.

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 3/28/2010 3:34:34 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 18
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:35:32 PM   
Webbco

I know what the expansion planner does overall, my question (see above) is about the "sort by your empire priority" button. Don't know what it supposed to do, it doesn't do what tgb said. 

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 19
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:37:44 PM   
Gertjan

hadberz, how do you post such screenshots?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 20
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:40:33 PM   
Tree Dog

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

hadberz, how do you post such screenshots?

You have to use the normal reply mode -the one you get by either clicking quote or reply near others's post, or post reply in the bottom-, not the fast reply stuff, and under the text area, click on " Click here to upload!" and check the "Embed picture in post" box.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 21
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:40:50 PM   
Webbco

'0' on the numpad in-game takes a screenshot, saves it to the location indicated on the window that pops up, when posting a new message, there's an upload file option at the bottom (when you click 'reply' on the previous post), open directory where the screenshot was saved. Voilà  

Edit: Tree Dog says it better

< Message edited by Webbco -- 3/28/2010 3:41:31 PM >

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 22
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 3:47:47 PM   
lordxorn

So your saying it doesn't put worlds with resources your empire demands at the top of the list?

I find that statement to be untrue.

I have attached an example
You see Dra4 sorted to the top of the list which has Caslon, Helium, Hydrogen, Argon.

One of those resources will be in demand.

After looking at my empire resource list on top, Caslon is the only in demand resource.

Also at the bottom you can see I already have a construction building a mine there, if not I could send an idle one or que one up. Very convenient!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 23
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:02:00 PM   
hadberz

It should sort what resource is in demand, it does sometimes so I think there might be a bug here. I reported it to Elliot.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 24
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:05:00 PM   
lordxorn

Which list, the one on top or the one on the bottom?

Because either way it does sort what resource is in demand, which my screenshot proves. Caslon has three sources and my stock is 8.5K and my demand is 14.2 Hence more demand then supply, so I am expanding my supply by having a construction ship queued to build there. *Edit to clarify my point, the expansion planner put Dra2 at the top of list on the bottom, which is doing what it is suppose to.

Am I missing what you are saying?

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 25
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:12:15 PM   
Webbco

lordxorn, there is a button in the top right hand corner of the "resources" box (the top box) called "sort by your empire priority". This is what I'm talking about.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 26
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:27:10 PM   
hadberz

The top list, sometimes it put whats in demand at the very top. It looks like it will highlight the most in demand item as well.

I'm talking about the top button.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 27
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:34:14 PM   
Webbco

Originally, I wondered what the point was with the "sort by your empire priority" button since you can sort what's in demand via the tabs on the upper "Resources" box. I still feel like I don't know!

Sorry for pressing this matter, I just know that the expansion planner is massively important and I want to know exactly how it works.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 28
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:50:17 PM   
lordxorn

Ok, sorry for being dense guys, but I sort of figured it out.

My screenshot shows Megallos Nut which I have a stock of 0, and a demand of 4.3K! (I have yet to scout it out.)

How I got it sorted like that is to first click the tab Type, to sort the resources into Luxury and Strategic, which put all the luxury at the top.

Then click on Sort by Your Empire Priority button on the top,
And voila, it put the most desired luxury item on top.

So the function of that button is to sort the tab you click into your empire's priority. Which again is REALLY COOL!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 3/28/2010 4:51:25 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 29
RE: Expansion Planner - 3/28/2010 4:55:40 PM   
Webbco

Cool, ok we're getting somewhere. However, does that mean the Sort by Your Empire Priority button is not really needed when clicking other tabs? E.g. If you sort the resources by clicking on "Your Demand", you will see what your empire needs without pressing the Sort by Your Empire Priority button.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Expansion Planner Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI