Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Its the Ecomony.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Its the Ecomony. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 2:55:42 PM   
Webbco

Erik, are you and the team machines?? I'm impressed with your huge efforts post release!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 3:02:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

No, but we all really want to do the best we can to make DW a success and there were a few more rough edges than we expected, which equals lots of work and not much sleep until we figure out and fix those issues. We'll get back to a more normal pace when the critical issues are resolved, which should be very soon now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 32
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 3:02:49 PM   
Kumppi

Here is my experiences about the economy. I tested it out by not buying any new ships and not colonizing at all. Put all the ships under my control. I only had my starting colony. First things went smoothly and I quickly got my income above 200k then my profits crashed and I started to lose money.

OK no problem I knew what the situation was. I was not supplying enough luxury goods. No problem. I then started to investigate what luxury goods I needed. I then discovered that one of those items was this liquid called wino...hmmm well wino something . Odd thing was that one of my mining stations in another system had a butt load of it. Over 4k, but there it sat. No freighters ever left my colony to ANY of my mining stations to collect anything.

Does the rsvd column next to the amount column in the colony cargo tab mean how much that particular item it wants to store?

It seems that leaving the AI to decide what ships to build is suicidal to your economy. Also if you leave your construction ship in AI control it will build mining stations where ever it can. Also kinda suicidal.

Post #: 33
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 3:04:44 PM   
Webbco

Once again, thank you. I'm sorry it hasn't been a smooth ride for you guys but I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that we all appreciate the support of this game. I believe the effort will be worth it 

Post #: 34
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 3:56:15 PM   
Xmudder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xmudder
Good game, but my homeworld just crashed and I went into the red. No new colonies, just a few new free trade agreements. Can any of you verify you crash when you meet a few new empires and start trading with them?

Please upload another save of when this happened and we will take a look. We are prioritizing investigating and fixing any economy issues.

crash.dwg uploading now. Didn't mean to say it was the free trade that did it, more that I quickly encountered 3-4 new races in a short period of time and started trading with them.

Post #: 35
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 4:09:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks, please remember to name the save files per the instructions so we know what each one references. I'll rename this one.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 36
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 4:27:09 PM   
Xmudder

quote:

Thanks, please remember to name the save files per the instructions so we know what each one references. I'll rename this one.

oops, it's early.

For some reason my capital is no longer ordering luxury goods (none listed as reserved in colony manager), and is sitting at 34% development a few minutes later. One of my colony worlds, by contract, has a bunch of luxury goods and surpassed my homeworld on the profitability list as a result.

edit: I neglected to turn off agents and ground forces in the ai tab in this game :(

Second, I noticed far fewer freighters playing the space lanes near my core worlds. I wonder where they all went. That may be one reason removing mining stations improved things - fewer places to go to harvest stuff.

< Message edited by Xmudder -- 3/27/2010 4:42:27 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 4:31:50 PM   
Webbco

Could I clarify what the difference is between "Amt" and "Rsvd" commodities in the colonies window?

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 38
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 4:43:55 PM   
Xmudder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Could I clarify what the difference is between "Amt" and "Rsvd" commodities in the colonies window?

amount on hand and amount on order I believe.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 39
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 5:58:20 PM   
incbob

Wow that is fast. Kudos

Post #: 40
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 6:25:03 PM   
Flaviusx

If you are having economic problems, try out one of the rodent races with the mercantile government option. The rats make tons of cash, nearly double base in some cases.

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 41
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 6:36:00 PM   
jnpoint

Sounds good Erik, that you will fix the problem - I also have some problems with the economy.
But I must say, that this game is better than I first thought. As someone mentioned that it was EU in space - I just had to buy it (EU is my favorite game), and I am not disappointed. The only downside besides the economi is the economy-window: I find it hard to read, and I think it could be the colour choices.

< Message edited by jnpoint -- 3/27/2010 6:39:06 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 6:42:23 PM   
Webbco

Thanks Xmudder. So 'amount on order' means the amount coming in but not available yet? Is there help in the galactopedia on these details?

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 43
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 7:10:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

I only had major problems with the economy in my first game.Using a republic gov that has higher maintenance and overbuilding ships and bases from the get go was the problem.I never let the A.I build or recommend ships for me.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 3/27/2010 7:16:37 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 44
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 7:34:35 PM   
DarkWraith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Thanks Xmudder. So 'amount on order' means the amount coming in but not available yet? Is there help in the galactopedia on these details?

I think it actually refers to the "amount on hand" and "amount currently needed". If the "Rsvd" number is larger than the "Amt" number, you're short resources and won't finish construction of whatever until "amt" is greater than or equal. This is easiest seen on the constructors, who don't have the freighters constantly bringing them the materials. "amt" will generally be equal to "rsvd" unless you have shortages there.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 45
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 8:00:27 PM   
theonlystd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: theonlystd
I thought i had figured out the problem with my running in the red.. So i made sure to go after luxury resources.. I have 8 or 9.. And things were going fine for awhile..

But now my capital has no luxury resouces besides the one it produces even tho i have sources on 8 others.. So its devlopment is dropping like a rock and im on the way to being broke again..  I havnt really over expanded .. Couple of the Ai have double the amount of colonies i have and the rest are right around me....

Can you upload a save of this situation if you have it? I'd like to take a look at that one as well.

Ill try to in a sec

My capital has orders for all the Luxurys in the amount of about 1k. But the civilians seem to ignore the capitals luxury needs. Theres usually free freighters setting around the capital doing nothing.. And thousands of the luxuries setting in mining bases..

I've avoided going bankrupt cause the capital does produce its own luxury good but its only wroth half its revenue now and 1/3 of its tax when it had em all...

Edit- For anyone else having the issue .. I just edited some ruins onto the planet that upped devlopment .... Seems to work for now. Sadly that doesnt seem to work like i was hoping devlopment going back down.. Bah

< Message edited by theonlystd -- 3/27/2010 9:33:49 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 8:14:49 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I was 90.000 in the red. Changed everything from auto- and used either suggested or manual. I waited like Erik suggested and now I am in the green by 18,000. Have I master it-Not hardly.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 47
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 8:34:31 PM   
Montesano

I'm having the same problem as theonlystd. Home system, and only colony thus far, is out of numerous luxuries but they are in stock in my empire somewhere. All my freighters are sitting at the home world doing nothing. So people are unhappy, tax rates are reduced to compensate and my finances turn red. 

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 48
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 9:27:33 PM   
Webbco

Even though the AI DOES solve the issue eventually, by that time your empire hasn't really grown due to the crash and other empires have claimed large parts of the galaxy. Not good.

(in reply to Montesano)
Post #: 49
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/27/2010 9:29:54 PM   
Hyfrydle

quote:

though the AI DOES solve the issue eventually, by that time your empire hasn't really grown due to the crash and other empires have claimed large parts of the galaxy. Not good.

This is the problem I've had in my last three games hopefully the patch will help.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 50
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/28/2010 9:42:12 AM   
neofit

First of all, GREAT game, kudos! First time I am feeling like a head of state.

Second, I too ran into some economic problems that I don't understand. I was doing OK, in the black, not building too much, then all of a sudden blam! -10K, -20K, -50K profit, and I hadn't build any fleets for an hour... I am sure that if I wait long enough it will fix itself, according to this thread. But I'd rather know exactly what is happening, see it coming and not let it happen.

The problem is I believe in the lack of feedback we are given regarding the economic situation. The Empire Status window is not fully explained (for instance, why list the maintenance cost for the private sector ships, does it affect my bottom line or not?), and is not detailed enough (what does each figure represent exactly?). I wish we could click on an indicator to drill down for more details. And also I'd like to see graphs giving the evolution of each indicator, for the last month/year/10 years/start of game. I believe it is very important even if we run with full automation.

Without more details I am afraid that most of us will give up before figuring things out, it's rather frustrating trying to figure out how a black box works.

(in reply to Hyfrydle)
Post #: 51
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/28/2010 10:25:18 AM   
Deto

Quick suggestion. If you use AI to manage your troops and agents, they'll drain your coffer just for the kicks :D My empire of 4 stars and one burned out resort base at dangerous star had so more troops than citizens till I noticed where all the money goes :)

(in reply to neofit)
Post #: 52
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/28/2010 8:09:14 PM   
RonLugge

quote:

ORIGINAL: neofit

First of all, GREAT game, kudos! First time I am feeling like a head of state.

Second, I too ran into some economic problems that I don't understand. I was doing OK, in the black, not building too much, then all of a sudden blam! -10K, -20K, -50K profit, and I hadn't build any fleets for an hour... I am sure that if I wait long enough it will fix itself, according to this thread. But I'd rather know exactly what is happening, see it coming and not let it happen.

The problem is I believe in the lack of feedback we are given regarding the economic situation. The Empire Status window is not fully explained (for instance, why list the maintenance cost for the private sector ships, does it affect my bottom line or not?), and is not detailed enough (what does each figure represent exactly?). I wish we could click on an indicator to drill down for more details. And also I'd like to see graphs giving the evolution of each indicator, for the last month/year/10 years/start of game. I believe it is very important even if we run with full automation.

Without more details I am afraid that most of us will give up before figuring things out, it's rather frustrating trying to figure out how a black box works.

You want to know the maintenance of private ships because the private sector has it's own income / expenses list. And it requires cash on hand to build additional ships, just like you do.

As for the economy crash issue, the problem (from what I understand) is a bad prioritization of luxury resources. As your colonies develop, they demand more and more resources, and your economy is giving it to them at the cost of your more developed planet(s) that are actually holding up your economy. As a result, your economy crashes.

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

(in reply to neofit)
Post #: 53
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/28/2010 9:03:22 PM   
4xfan

I think more economy metrics would be a big help in understanding the intricacies of managing an empire.  

(in reply to RonLugge)
Post #: 54
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/29/2010 3:24:16 PM   
Gertjan

@Impact, thank you for your excellent posts. You should write a strategy guide or something. I have been reading quite some useful posts from your side already.

quote:

And don't try going for black holes until you have decent engine tech. Cost me quite a few constructors until I figured that out

How do you know when you have sufficient tech? Does the AI automation work fine in this regard? Does it build sufficient resorts at the right spots?

Post #: 55
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/29/2010 4:17:43 PM   
Shark7

It is still possible to tank your economy post patch, trust me, I did it.

Over-built I think.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 56
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/29/2010 9:17:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

It should still be possible to get into trouble by over-building, blockades or other bad decisions/situations. But we can confirm that as far as we can tell, there are no more "bugs" in the economy so what happens to you now is your own fault.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 57
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/30/2010 4:51:12 AM   
Shark7

quote:

It should still be possible to get into trouble by over-building, blockades or other bad decisions/situations. But we can confirm that as far as we can tell, there are no more "bugs" in the economy so what happens to you now is your own fault.

There was never any doubt about that. I got a little to aggressive with the star port building.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 58
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/30/2010 4:58:37 AM   
malkuth74

Played 2 new games since the patch and you can still tank you game if your not careful.

I have no problem with the amount of money you make in the end though. You do make a huge amount, but try to remember you can't see the whole AI territory most of the time. They sometimes are just as big as you. The graph might say you are all powerful. But the graph means crap when an AI ship can run over 5 of yours to there 1.

Trust me it happned to me. I thought he was a joke. But it was like the Humans trying to vs the Minbari. LOL>

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 59
RE: Its the Ecomony. - 3/30/2010 10:39:21 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

Erik one thing Im seeing that I dont see anyone mentioning is that Im paying off like 5 pirate factions im allied with for 2000 each which is 10000 a month! I dont see this listed in any economic reports and so maybe this is how a lot of players are getting in the hole! I know i am!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Its the Ecomony. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI