Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds has stopped working.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Distant Worlds has stopped working. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 4:42:12 PM   
Epsilon

This error always comes up with the attached savegame. I can upload it elsewhere if you want, but this seemed most convenient at the time. The error comes up that "Distant Worlds has stopped working" and that is the error description aswell, relating to clr20 The savegame It's not the most stable of applications, which is a shame as I quite like my little brewing empire.
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 5:05:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thank you, unfortunately on some systems it is definitely less stable than we would like. We will take a look at your save, the good news is that we've had good results so far fixing these issues once we have a save so that side of things should improve rapidly.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 6:41:37 PM   
ASHBERY76

I am having the same thing pop up on the screen but the game is still playing in the backgound and you can still play unless you press close program button.Strange.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 7:44:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

Can you save in that instance?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 8:28:43 PM   
Arnir

I'm getting a similar crash every time I play except that I don't get the options. It tells me that Windows will close the program and look for a solution. I'll upload a save game. Attached is my dxdiag. I can't get filezilla to connect to the FTP server. I'm doing something wrong as I don't have enough fields to enter the info given by Erik in the upload a save file thread.

Okay, uploaded the save. I downloaded the FTP server software instead of the client software. Fixed that.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Arnir -- 3/28/2010 4:29:00 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 8:45:09 PM   
Epsilon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Can you save in that instance?
I can save when it does that and the game will continue to run, but just for a while then it just closes. Loading a save thats been saved during this period will just cause the same error to occur later, and again if that is ignored the game just closes after a while again.

Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 9:07:42 PM   
ASHBERY76

Is this Vista related I wonder.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 10:00:35 PM   
KonkeyDong

Same problem here. I don't get any ingame events displayed that corresponds with the error. It happens quite early, possibly around the time an exploration vessel reaches another star or either an exploration or colonization ship is built. Playing the game is pretty much impossible for me right now. Bonus annoyance: Windows cursor is stuck displaying the arrow with the busy-wheel. :) Basic Tutorial ran fine, but 'mis-zoomed' when focusing on something.

quote:

Description: Stopped working

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe Problem Signature 02: 1.0.1.0 Problem Signature 03: 2a425e19 Problem Signature 04: WindowsBase Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0 Problem Signature 06: 4a174f32 Problem Signature 07: 9d3 Problem Signature 08: 17 Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033

Cliff Notes: AMD X2 5000+, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 3650HD, SB X-FI Windows 7, VS 2008 and VS 2010 RC installed. DxDiag attached. Will try on other PCs later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/27/2010 10:17:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

KonkeyDong,

It sounds like it really disagrees with your system somehow! Your DxDiag didn't raise any immediate alarms with me, but we will absolutely investigate this further. I see you have VS installed, do you have any DirectX SDKs or anything like that installed? Did you allow the .NET and DirectX included in the installer to run?

For what it's worth, it runs fine on our Vista and 7 test systems. Actually, my Vista system is the one I play on most and I am completely crash free. So hopefully we can narrow this down to some common thread in these systems and get it fixed either in game or through system/driver updates.

As I posted above, we do think we fixed all the crash issues we had saves for and some might have been the causes of other crashes that we didn't have saves for. So the update (hopefully tomorrow) will definitely be worth a try for you too.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/27/2010 10:19:10 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to KonkeyDong)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 12:57:44 AM   
KonkeyDong

Hihi, the game actually works if you ignore the error message. It's quite intimidating when Windows shouts "Stop playing and do something productive!". :)

Anyway, if there is a popup-window that says "Not enough Resources", that's probably the culprit. Spent the evening trying to figure out why those damn exploration ships were stuck at "1 component missing" until I realized Kryptonite and Dilithium Crystals were missing. If the game doesn't tell you this via a popup, it really should. Had to execute the engineer who put a shield on the exploration ship.

An update of the .Net Framework did actually install some files, but those were just missing assemblies for x64 and ia64 which should not be relevant. DirectX9 was current and the DirectX SDK came with XNA 4.0 CTP, so it should be fairly recent. Also updated the graphics drivers to the latest release. Error still the same.

Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 2:33:44 AM   
jstransue

I'm getting the same issue on windows 7.

I get maybe two minutes into the game, when my ships go out and then it gives me the program is crashing message. It didn't give me a chance to just ignore it and keep playing though, it crashes to the desktop. I was able to play the tutorials fine.

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 4:41:28 AM   
serptex

I have the exact same "memory" problem on a W7-64 machine with 12GB... happens every few minutes during gameplay and even on the menu now, but "continuing" is still possible without a full crash.

However, now I'm getting this even in the main menu and get a "not enough storage is available to process the command" message trying to load my save (I believe it might be corrupt as the error occurred once during the save process and crashed the app that time).

You need an autosave and the ability to save new saves rather than being forced to overwrite or manually copy the existing file, especially with a game so buggy. I've apparently lost one game already as it just overwrote the old file (which did work as I reloaded from it a few times) and never gave an option to save as a new file, I don't really feel like playing on after such a performance.

Incidentally the game also refuses to mute the SFX or apply volume changes to the annoying interface beeps, and it certainly doesn't choose the appropriate volume level on startup. This is not impressive.

(in reply to jstransue)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 6:29:57 AM   
hadberz

quote:

You need an autosave and the ability to save new saves rather than being forced to overwrite or manually copy the existing file, especially with a game so buggy. I've apparently lost one game already as it just overwrote the old file (which did work as I reloaded from it a few times) and never gave an option to save as a new file, I don't really feel like playing on after such a performance.

Click the "Save Game As" button, it auto names the file your empire name and star date. The "Save Game" button overwrites the last save.

Uncheck the "Under Attack" messages under options to get rid of the alert sound.

I've been playing all day long without any crashes, running Win 7 64 6GB memory. I would try updating your drivers if there old. I'm sure a patch will be coming soon too.

< Message edited by hadberz -- 3/28/2010 6:33:00 AM >

(in reply to serptex)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 8:55:00 AM   
Nth Power

Same here with the crashes on Vista 64. It seems to crash around the same date (03-2756) everytime. Save starts on 08-2755. Updated my drivers and same issue. I uploaded a save.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 2:04:35 PM   
PDiFolco

Yeah, just had that sort of crash 5 min ago, ruining my game...I was just selecting a research base to scrap to reduce maintenance. With no autosave it's a real pain to lose all the game progress after a couple hours play, I was expecting something more stable! My system is pretty new (3 weeks ago !), under W7 64 bits, everything up to date, and I even installed the DX/.Net programs from the DW installer.

(in reply to Nth Power)
Post #: 15
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 2:12:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'm sorry we didn't find and fix these before release. Hang on for the update later today (hopefully) - we expect it should resolve these issues.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 16
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 2:34:59 PM   
ASHBERY76

Here is the savegame for the issue,it tends to happens within a month.The server thing is not working so I used megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CSWS5AVO

Post #: 17
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 4:59:24 PM   
serptex

I tried a quick game on "Galactic republic" and after a while it would generate a hundred of the errors in a row. Eventually it generated a stream of the errors which never ended and I had to kill the process. Looking forward to a patch.

The sound issue I mentioned is definitely a bug - it is playing "button click" noises and occasional bursts of other SFX, as well as the intro movies, at full system volume, ignoring the volume settings in game (mute in my case) for all but music and battle SFX etx. In W7 I think it might be possible to set a per application OS volume setting for it but the bug remains.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 4:59:41 PM   
ASHBERY76

No the game is still doing it with the beta patch1.2 on that save above.That makes the game basically broken for me.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 3/28/2010 5:00:48 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 5:02:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, we will definitely look at that save file. It's also possible the cause of the issue is resolved but the problem is already in the save file. Try a new game with the public beta and see if any of these issues re-occur please.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 20
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 5:15:15 PM   
Epsilon

Using the new beta patch I'm still getting the "Stopped working" with my old savegame posted in this thread.
Description:     Stopped working

Problem signature:     Problem Event Name: CLR20r3     Problem Signature 01: distantworlds.exe     Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2.0     Problem Signature 03: 2a425e19     Problem Signature 04: DistantWorlds.Types     Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.39630     Problem Signature 06: 4baf1acc     Problem Signature 07: c7d     Problem Signature 08: b     Problem Signature 09: System.NullReferenceException     OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1     Locale ID: 1030

Read our privacy statement online:     http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:     C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
But I will try and make a new game and see what errors I run into this time :P

Post #: 21
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 8:09:01 PM   
KonkeyDong

1.02 fixed the WindowBase Invalid Operation Exception, Freighters now work without having to set Construction to automated and I actually get suggestions now (did not before patch).

Thanks to Erik for the quick support on the forum and the team for working on the weekend! Cheers, guy! :)

(in reply to Epsilon)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 8:44:34 PM   
serptex

New game on 1.02 - gives the same memory error as before. Crashed outright which it did not do before. Unplayable.

(in reply to KonkeyDong)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 8:53:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Looks like we may have missed one crash cause. Hang in there, Serptex. Can you provide any additional info on the exact error and do we already have a DxDiag from you?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to serptex)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 9:08:32 PM   
Tree Dog

Well, I in fact have the exact same problem, I put a link to my savegame on that thread.

Created a new one because I didn't think it was the same error (I guess the numbers given changed with the update), but it seems to be the same.

Post #: 25
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/28/2010 11:17:01 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

Ok, we will definitely look at that save file. It's also possible the cause of the issue is resolved but the problem is already in the save file. Try a new game with the public beta and see if any of these issues re-occur please.

I started a new game and it has reached 2769 and no sign of the problem now.It might be sorted, I will post here if it happens later in the game.

Post #: 26
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/29/2010 7:35:38 PM   
Tree Dog

Bump.

Wondering if you did have crashes with our savegames too.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 27
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/29/2010 10:26:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

I can confirm that some old submitted saved games will still crash, the 1.0.0 / 1.0.1 bugs were corrupting them beyond repair. We have not yet been able to get new 1.0.2 saved games to crash, but this is one of the highest priority issues to keep working on.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tree Dog)
Post #: 28
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/29/2010 10:51:15 PM   
Arnir

I haven't had any new crashes with the new patch, FYI.

Post #: 29
RE: Distant Worlds has stopped working. - 3/30/2010 1:33:57 AM   
Tree Dog

quote:

I can confirm that some old submitted saved games will still crash, the 1.0.0 / 1.0.1 bugs were corrupting them beyond repair. We have not yet been able to get new 1.0.2 saved games to crash, but this is one of the highest priority issues to keep working on.

I see. Well, thanks anyway.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Distant Worlds has stopped working. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI